Report: Jets set to Interview Eric Studesville for Vacant OC Position

JetNation

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who?  Like having a "defensive" minded coach who can't manage a clock, with a porous offensive line, with no safety valve TEs wasn't hard enough to develop a QB?  We go after a RB coach?  Didn't they just fire Patullo as the QB coach after he had done most of his work as a WR coach?  Can we hire someone that actually called a play or two on offense?  

1 minute ago, win4ever said:

Who?  Like having a "defensive" minded coach who can't manage a clock, with a porous offensive line, with no safety valve TEs wasn't hard enough to develop a QB?  We go after a RB coach?  Didn't they just fire Patullo as the QB coach after he had done most of his work as a WR coach?  Can we hire someone that actually called a play or two on offense?  

He was offensive coordinator of the Bills for four seasons, and interim head coach of the Broncos for four games. 

Sometimes I wonder if there's some kind of reverse entrance exam for becoming a Jets fan, to make sure no one with half a brain sneaks in.

I guess he will get Hack and Petty to perfect their handoffs and fakes? Unreal. I'm trying to remember the last time I felt so negative about this team going into the following year. It had to be going into Kotex 2nd year, and that's pretty bad.

Just now, dbatesman said:

He was offensive coordinator of the Bills for four seasons, and interim head coach of the Broncos for four games. 

Sometimes I wonder if there's some kind of reverse entrance exam for becoming a Jets fan, to make sure no one with half a brain sneaks in.

I missed that part, my bad.  

Oh snap, I see what you did there, reverse entrance, ha ha.  

5 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

good catch, its being reported he was just a RB coach his whole career

he has coached both sides of the ball, which is cool

5 minutes ago, win4ever said:

If you are worried about safety valves, this may be your guy.  Seems like the backs he coaches were always good in the passing game. 

1 minute ago, dbatesman said:

I don't think he was ever the OC of the Bills.  Wikipedia has that in his listing, but he was RB coach under Clements (now in GB) Fairchild (I have no memory of) and Turk Schonert (apparently even crappier as a coach than as Bengals QB)

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

I don't think he was ever the OC of the Bills.  Wikipedia has that in his listing, but he was RB coach under Clements (now in GB) Fairchild (I have no memory of) and Turk Schonert (apparently even crappier as a coach than as Bengals QB)

I just do what Wikipedia tells me. If it's wrong, I respectfully retract my insult, @win4ever

8 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

He was so dynamic as an OC that he's been relegated to RB coach for the last decade. If he was our RB coach and our offense was elite I'd have no issue bumping him up to OC. But I don't want anyone else's RB coach. Especially from a team that struggled on offense.

Only exception is if we are bringing him to fail so bad we are guaranteed to land the number one pick next year.

Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

He was so dynamic as an OC that he's been relegated to RB coach for the last decade. If he was our RB coach and our offense was elite I'd have no issue bumping him up to OC. But I don't want anyone else's RB coach. Especially from a team that struggled on offense.

Only exception is if we are bringing him to fail so bad we are guaranteed to land the number one pick next year.

(whispers, but super loud so everyone can still hear it) or maybe offensive coordinators aren't really that important

Year Age Level Employer Role
1991 24 College Arizona Graduate Assistant
1992 25 College North Carolina Video Assistant
1993 26 College North Carolina Video Assistant
1994 27 College Wingate Defensive Backs
1995 28 College Kent State Defensive Backs
1996 29 College Kent State Defensive Backs
1997 30 NFL Chicago Bears Offensive Quality Control
1998 31 NFL Chicago Bears Offensive Quality Control
1999 32 NFL Chicago Bears Offensive Quality Control
2000 33 NFL Chicago Bears Offensive Quality Control
2001 34 NFL New York Giants Running Backs
2002 35 NFL New York Giants Running Backs
2003 36 NFL New York Giants Running Backs
2004 37 NFL Buffalo Bills Running Backs
2005 38 NFL Buffalo Bills Running Backs
2006 39 NFL Buffalo Bills Running Backs
2007 40 NFL Buffalo Bills Running Backs
2008 41 NFL Buffalo Bills Running Backs
2009 42 NFL Buffalo Bills Running Backs
2010 43 NFL Denver Broncos Running Backs
2010 43 NFL Denver Broncos Interim Head Coach
2011 44 NFL Denver Broncos Running Backs
2012 45 NFL Denver Broncos Running Backs
2013 46 NFL Denver Broncos Running Backs
2014 47 NFL Denver Broncos Running Backs
2015 48 NFL Denver Broncos Running Backs
2016 49 NFL Denver Broncos Running Backs

The Jets intend to interview Broncos running back coach Eric Studesville for their offensive coordinator opening, a source confirmed.

Studesville, 49, has worked for three head coaches in seven seasons with the Broncos. He went 1-3 as Denver's interim head coach after Josh McDaniels was fired during the 2010 season. Studesville, who has coached for the Bills, Giants and Bears over the past 20 years, has never been an offensive coordinator.

His future with the Broncos remains unclear after new head coach Vance Joseph was hired this week.

The Eagles denied the Jets permission to interview their quarterback coach John DeFilippo last week.

Todd Bowles is looking to replace Chan Gailey, who retired after two seasons.

Just now, AFJF said:
Year Age Level Employer Role
1991 24 College Arizona Graduate Assistant
1992 25 College North Carolina Video Assistant
1993 26 College North Carolina Video Assistant
1994 27 College Wingate Defensive Backs
1995 28 College Kent State Defensive Backs
1996 29 College Kent State Defensive Backs
1997 30 NFL Chicago Bears Offensive Quality Control
1998 31 NFL Chicago Bears Offensive Quality Control
1999 32 NFL Chicago Bears Offensive Quality Control
2000 33 NFL Chicago Bears Offensive Quality Control
2001 34 NFL New York Giants Running Backs
2002 35 NFL New York Giants Running Backs
2003 36 NFL New York Giants Running Backs
2004 37 NFL Buffalo Bills Running Backs
2005 38 NFL Buffalo Bills Running Backs
2006 39 NFL Buffalo Bills Running Backs
2007 40 NFL Buffalo Bills Running Backs
2008 41 NFL Buffalo Bills Running Backs
2009 42 NFL Buffalo Bills Running Backs
2010 43 NFL Denver Broncos Running Backs
2010 43 NFL Denver Broncos Interim Head Coach
2011 44 NFL Denver Broncos Running Backs
2012 45 NFL Denver Broncos Running Backs
2013 46 NFL Denver Broncos Running Backs
2014 47 NFL Denver Broncos Running Backs
2015 48 NFL Denver Broncos Running Backs
2016 49 NFL Denver Broncos Running Backs

The Jets intend to interview Broncos running back coach Eric Studesville for their offensive coordinator opening, a source confirmed.

Studesville, 49, has worked for three head coaches in seven seasons with the Broncos. He went 1-3 as Denver's interim head coach after Josh McDaniels was fired during the 2010 season. Studesville, who has coached for the Bills, Giants and Bears over the past 20 years, has never been an offensive coordinator.

His future with the Broncos remains unclear after new head coach Vance Joseph was hired this week.

The Eagles denied the Jets permission to interview their quarterback coach John DeFilippo last week.

Todd Bowles is looking to replace Chan Gailey, who retired after two seasons.

WIKIPEDIA WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN ME

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

If you are worried about safety valves, this may be your guy.  Seems like the backs he coaches were always good in the passing game. 

Yeah, I don't see him listed as the OC:

Pro-Football reference has him as the RB coach all those years from 04-08.  

Interestingly, he was given the interim coaching gig over Mike McCoy after McDaniels was fired.  Not that it helped, pretty much got blown out first two games, won a close one with the Texans, and then got blown out again (albeit score is close because of a last minute Tebow TD) as well.  

Just now, dbatesman said:

I just do what Wikipedia tells me. If it's wrong, I respectfully retract my insult, @win4ever

Ah no worries, I've gotten screwed by Wikipedia a ton too, lol.  

6 minutes ago, win4ever said:

Yeah, I don't see him listed as the OC:

Pro-Football reference has him as the RB coach all those years from 04-08.  

Interestingly, he was given the interim coaching gig over Mike McCoy after McDaniels was fired.  Not that it helped, pretty much got blown out first two games, won a close one with the Texans, and then got blown out again (albeit score is close because of a last minute Tebow TD) as well.  

Ah no worries, I've gotten screwed by Wikipedia a ton too, lol.  

You probably wrote that wikipedia entry!

He may have been given the head job so that McCoy could continue calling the plays.  I don't think there is any reason to believe that this guy can't be a good OC.  He is obviously respected and has worked with some excellent people, particularly on O.  It doesn't mean he will be good, but there is no reason to assume that because he has been an RB coach that he plans to run the wishbone.  

10 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

He may have been given the head job so that McCoy could continue calling the plays.  I don't think there is any reason to believe that this guy can't be a good OC.  He is obviously respected and has worked with some excellent people, particularly on O.  It doesn't mean he will be good, but there is no reason to assume that because he has been an RB coach that he plans to run the wishbone.  

So we get to be the guinea pig for this science experiment?

Him being well respected means absolutely nothing. It just means he's a smart, hard working RB coach. There is nothing in his resume that he will be able to out game plan other teams DC's. 

We are already employing bowles who's still a question mark as HC. We have a DC that's turned a really good defense into a dumpster fire and now you think it may be a good idea to bring a first time OC?

Yeah, no thanks. I'll only support this move because it will likely lead to a 2 win season, the firing off bowles and the chance to draft a franchise QB.

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

Lol.

I just want someone that has some success with QBs because unless we sign some old guy, we're going to have young QBs on the roster.  Is it so hard to even get a college OC? 

I went through offensive efficiency for the Bills those years for RB from '04 to '09:  20th, 19th, 26th, 23rd, 13th, and 18th.   

I'm not sure how to weigh the Broncos one because Tebow was there and then Peyton.  With Tebow, many guys in the box (but does Tebow count towards rushing rank?), with Peyton defenders backing off I presume, anywhere here are rankings from '10 until now:  30th, 13th, 15th, 10th (Peyton's first year), 7th, 20th, 30th.  

So in Denver it looks like it was bad, then Tebow comes and the rushing rank is average, then Peyton's two best years they have great efficiency, and when he declines so does the RB efficiency.  The Jets RB rankings the last two years (19th last year, 21st the year before) on average actually beats out the Broncos so it would almost be a downgrade if we just hired this guy as the RB coach.  

I just don't get why we can't do any better.  

12 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

A career-long running backs coach?   Okay and this guy has proven what exactly?  Fuk this team.

There are only three reasons for this interview:

1 bowles is doing another black coach a favor and has no real intention of hiring him.

2 bowles is an idiot and actually thinks this is a good idea

3 macc is a genius and is allowing bowles to hire/retain the worst coaching staff in football so we can get the number one pick next year. 

16 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

A career-long running backs coach?   Okay and this guy has proven what exactly?  Fuk this team.

He will fit right in.....

Bowles mindset surround yourself with other morons and no one will realize who the real moron is..........only problem is most of us already know. 

2 hours ago, JetFreak89 said:

Writing's on the wall. This is a tank year, Bowles will be gone, and unless he has a great draft, maybe Macc too. Hopefully we are in a good position to grab a franchise QB in the draft to be developed by our next coaching staff. 

Yeah absolutely. This hire would be the equivalent of winning pin the tail on the donkey or lotto if this guy ever ended up being really good. X

Archived