The St. Louis Jets?

UnitedWhofans

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Has The Busch Family Made An Offer To Buy The New York Jets?

Has The Busch Family Made An Offer To Buy The New York Jets?

As we have just passed the one year anniversary of the Rams bolting out of town, some intriguing news has recently surfaced in the last few hours. According to Craig Carton, co-host of the Boomer and Carton Show on CBS Sports Network, the Busch family has supposedly made an offer to current New York Jets owner Woody Johnson to buy the team. There’s no definitive proof of the potential transaction but Carton heavily inferred that there could be a deal in the works.

On his show, Carton says that the Busch family is possibly seeking to buy the team and possibly relocate them back to St. Louis and the team would likely play in the dome. Carton also suggests that the NFL could give New York, San Diego (who just lost their NFL team), London, and Mexico City expansion franchises to expand the NFL by four teams. But fellow co-host and former four-time Pro Bowler Boomer Esiason seemed pessimistic about the idea, saying “it would never happen” but Carton seemed rather optimistic about the idea. See the full video here:

The New York Jets are currently worth almost three billion dollars ($2.75B) according to Forbes. They are listed as the seventh most valuable franchise in the NFL. But Forbes valued the Busch family’s net worth at $13.4 billion. They are also listed as America’s 18th richest family. If the Busch family desire to truly become owners of an NFL franchise and buy a team, they have the monetary sources available to do so.

The Jets finished 5-11 this past season, last in the AFC East. But in the 2015-16 season, the Jets were one win away from making the playoffs. Would you want another NFL team in St. Louis or are you done with the NFL? Regardless of how you feel, this move could potentially be made and somewhere down the line, even years later be that as it may, St. Louis could once again be home to an NFL franchise. But as for now, this is nothing more than speculation. However, stay tuned in the coming days, weeks, and months into the NFL offseason and see if this rumor has any merit to it.

If this happened, I would gladly go visit some Wiccan to put an ancient curse on the Jets that they never see a winning season again.

This would be the biggest possible slap in the face to all of the die-hards who have suffered in the cold watching seasons like this one (and there's a lot of us, this fanbase is one of the biggest in football). Just the idea of this infuriates me. They would instantly become my public enemy #1.

Woody is making money on the Jets, he won't sell. NYC is the largest or 2nd largest NFL market, the NFL won't let the team move. The Jets (whomever owes them) are on the hook for half the cost (and also half the assets) of MetLife Stadium - no body is going to eat the rest of the loans, etc and make the asset worth less by moving the team.

Sure, the can offer to double the value of the team and then eat the extra billion on the sunken costs of the stadium. Do you really think they are going to spend 5 Billion on the Jets? Wouldn't it be easier to buy a team that is cheaper, in a smaller market and doesn't have a new stadium?

Why didn't Bush just buy the Chargers? Or, wait 5 years when they want to move out of LA and then buy them?

No chance of the Jets leaving New York. The NFL wouldn't let that happen.

I could see someone making an offer, but realistically, who would actually want to move the team out of New York? I'm not an expert on these things, but I would figure the Jets have way more value in New York than almost anywhere else like most teams would.

18 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Surprised this hasn't been mentioned. The rumor that the Busch family might buy the Jets and move them to St. Louis. It would make sense for Woody given his current situation about going to London and the Busch family have the funds to do it.

Please,  Cartin is an ass hole. You actually take this seriously?

18 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Surprised this hasn't been mentioned. The rumor that the Busch family might buy the Jets and move them to St. Louis. It would make sense for Woody given his current situation about going to London and the Busch family have the funds to do it.

What are you smoking? Just because someone has money, the Jets will be moved? Woody isn't selling Jets regardless of his temporary role in the UK. 

28 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

On his show, Carton says that the Busch family is possibly seeking to buy the team and possibly relocate them back to St. Louis and the team would likely play in the dome. Carton also suggests that the NFL could give New York, San Diego (who just lost their NFL team),

So we'd trade Mo Wilk/Bowles/Revis et al for Rivers/Bosa/Gordon/Allen et all? I think I might sign up for that. 

If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle. UWF's latest pointless nonsense thread, of which there have been too many. 

Not happening.

Why is anyone going to a 2x failed market?And despite the latest debacles, a team in NY/NJ is worth way more than one in STL. 

Math is hard.The Jets have co-ownership as well as a long-term lease contract in the AC Unit of a stadium.How do you disentangle that? Being the nFL gave the Jets and Giants double the building money for 1 stadium;would they want half  back? A STL stadium was also already given that money. so the NFL would not give a Jets/STL team ANOTHER pile of money fr a new stadium. The Giants would quickly face their fixed operating costs doubling; why would they vote to allow that?  

4 expansion teams is one shot at a time when there already aren't enough QBs. Makes no sense. Carton is a moron, 

2 minutes ago, Bugg said:

If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle. UWF's latest pointless nonsense thread, of which there have been too many. 

Not happening.

Why is anyone going to a 2x failed market?And despite the latest debacles, a team in NY/NJ is worth way more than one in STL. 

Math is hard.The Jets have co-ownership as well as a long-term lease contract in the AC Unit of a stadium.How do you disentangle that? Being the nFL gave the Jets and Giants double the building money for 1 stadium;would they want half  back? A STL stadium was also already given that money. so the NFL would not give a Jets/STL team ANOTHER pile of money fr a new stadium. The Giants would quickly face their fixed operating costs doubling; why would they vote to allow that?  

I would guess that the new expansion franchise would fill that spot. They are not going to leave NY without two teams.

31 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

If this happened, I would gladly go visit some Wiccan to put an ancient curse on the Jets that they never see a winning season again.

This would be the biggest possible slap in the face to all of the die-hards who have suffered in the cold watching seasons like this one (and there's a lot of us, this fanbase is one of the biggest in football). Just the idea of this infuriates me. They would instantly become my public enemy #1.

I think someone has already done that.

45 minutes ago, section314 said:

Yeah, the NFL would let that happen.

I know it seems unlikely since the Jets are an established team with no attendance or revenue problems.  But with the jets gone, the NFL could put an expansion team in NY with the owners pocketing incredibly big money.  They'd leave the team name in New York. Nothing, no matter how absurd, would surprise me these days.

On the other hand, anyone screaming for a complete and total re-build will get their wish with an expansion team.

Archived