The St. Louis Jets?

UnitedWhofans

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From STL, just a few thoughts:

- The NFL doesn't care about any fanbase, nor does it have any power to really stop an owner.

- Two things I think really cement a team in a city - robust history and full financial stability.

- Robust history means the Steelers, Cowboys, Packers, Broncos, Giants, Patriots are all basically safe.  The community and team are strongly entwined.

- Financial stability means an owner willing to stay and with a modern building and a lot of revenue streams keeps them locked in.

- That said, if the Colts can leave Baltimore after Johnny Unitas and if the Georgia can move a team from LA to STL?  There is little that is practically safe if an owner wants to do something.

- In the situation with the Jets it comes down to the willingness of Woody to sell and the desire for the Buschs to actually buy a team and move them to STL.  If both are high . . . it will happen.

- An arrangement will be found for the Stadium and facilities.

- The Giants would have no competition for the future of the sport in NY.

- The NFL would still have a premium team in the market with a modern stadium.

- Reallignment could theoretically put the Jets in with the Colts and Titans and Texans, moving the Jags to the East.  This would give the Dolphins a local team or provide as a jumping off point if the Jags are the team to move to London.

- Never trust the NFL or owners.  Never.

- I think this is unlikely to happen because we haven't heard much in the way of confirmed interest on either side.

- That said, I haven't heard any denials in three days from either side.  You'd think that someone would ask someone and get a "No interest whatsoever" quote.

1 hour ago, Spiritof said:

- That said, I haven't heard any denials in three days from either side.  You'd think that someone would ask someone and get a "No interest whatsoever" quote.

It's s fake news.  Not one legitimate NFL insider has reported it. I don't know what there is for anyone to respond to.

On 1/13/2017 at 11:18 AM, UnitedWhofans said:

Surprised this hasn't been mentioned. The rumor that the Busch family might buy the Jets and move them to St. Louis. It would make sense for Woody given his current situation about going to London and the Busch family have the funds to do it.

you would love that wouldnt you...

On 1/13/2017 at 10:23 AM, section314 said:

1) NFL won't let a team leave the New York area. 2) St. Louis has lost 2 franchises in the last 30 years or so. You don't have to be a genius to see that.

Didn't Woody just build a stadium?   Doesn't he have some kind of lease?  Has he ever hinted he wants to sell the team?   It's not like he's Art Modell who needs the cash.

Oh, and the NFL would love to take a team from the #1 market and put them in the #472 market.

6 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Why are we still posting in this thread?  I don't listen to sports radio and I count on you guys to filter out the nonsense, not post moronic sh*t like this. 

The Raiders are moving to Vegas.  Nothing is moronic when moving NFL franchises is concerned.

If Goodell can get a good deal, he'd help any team move.

2 minutes ago, SMC said:

The Raiders are moving to Vegas.  Nothing is moronic when moving NFL franchises is concerned.

The Raiders wanting to move is MORE reason this is moronic, not less.  The Jets are a higher valued franchise with a new stadium and related debt.  There are other teams that are lower valued, without stadiums, already threatening to move that would make more sense.  St. Louis just lost its second franchise.  Great support.  This is beyond MORONIC, even for Boomer and Carton who are beyond moronic even for sports radio.

7 minutes ago, SMC said:

Nothing about the Raiders moving to Vegas is similar to the Jets situation.  The raiders need a stadium and. Ant get one in Oakland.  Jets aren't in that situation.   

This was a stupid throw away line by a comedian and some actually think it makes sense.  

48 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Didn't Woody just build a stadium?   Doesn't he have some kind of lease?  Has he ever hinted he wants to sell the team?   It's not like he's Art Modell who needs the cash.

Oh, and the NFL would love to take a team from the #1 market and put them in the #472 market.

To be fair, they'd still have a team with a better overall history in that number 1 market and STL is I believe in the teens as far as markets goes.

Just a note that this season between STL and LA the NFL saw a downturn in viewing.  LA got stuck with a bad team for local broadcasts and no longer had access to premium games.  STL was angry about unfairly losing its team and didn't watch as much.  So, for year one at least its been a net loss.

47 minutes ago, Spiritof said:

To be fair, they'd still have a team with a better overall history in that number 1 market and STL is I believe in the teens as far as markets goes.

Just a note that this season between STL and LA the NFL saw a downturn in viewing.  LA got stuck with a bad team for local broadcasts and no longer had access to premium games.  STL was angry about unfairly losing its team and didn't watch as much.  So, for year one at least its been a net loss.

The value of the Rams franchise, what, doubled? quadrupled? going to LA... There is no net loss.

The only way Woody sells the Jets is, literally, over his dead body.  Estate tax makes keeping it in the family very difficult.  

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

Agree with all of this. Makes zero sense.

Archived