The Jets just saw the QB who should be their future

Ken Schroy

The Jets just saw the QB who should be their future   

Mark Cannizzaro

wd.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=300
Watson

— Drafting Watson surely would stunt the development of Hackenberg, who was general manager Mike Maccagnan’s second-round pick last year and a quarterback the Jets hope they can turn into a franchise leader. — With the quarterback-needy Browns, 49ers and Bears ahead of the Jets in the draft, the chances of him falling to No. 6 seem unlikely — particularly as the draft buildup always overvalues the top quarterbacks. Maccagnan is committed to building his very needy roster through the draft. And, if Watson is not going to drop to the Jets’ No. 6 overall pick in the first round, there’s little chance they’re going to trade up to get him, because it will cost them too many draft picks. But if Watson is staring them in the face at No. 6, the Jets should do what the Alabama defense was unable to do late Monday night and pounce on him. No player coming out of the draft is a lock to be a star or even a starter. But Watson’s upside looks scary good. Sometimes you need to take a chance. This is a chance worth taking for the Jets, who haven’t had a dynamic offensive talent that draws the attention of opposing defenses in forever.

wdw.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=300
Watson gets hit hard by Alabama’s defense

In the coming months you’re going to hear more than you care to about North Carolina quarterback Mitch Trubisky, who’s been the most recent flavor of the month, as well as Notre Dame’s DeShone Kizer and Texas Tech’s Pat Mahomes. None of those quarterbacks, who might have better NFL Combine “measurables’’ than Watson, has done what Watson did in the biggest game in the sport the last two years. The kid is a winner (28-2 in the last two years) and by many accounts he’s heaven-sent to be the face of a franchise. And, for a Jets franchise that has been faceless for years, that has to be too tantalizing to pass up. “Whoever picks me up is gonna get a champion, not just on the field, but off the field, and just a champion at heart who’ll make people around him better,” Watson told ESPN on Monday night. Earlier in the night in the moments after Clemson’s win, in his way of declaring for the NFL draft, Watson said, “It’s my time to go.”

It’s his time to go to the Jets. If they can make it happen.

5 minutes ago, Ken Shroy said:

The Jets just saw the QB who should be their future   

Mark Cannizzaro

wd.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=300
Watson

— Drafting Watson surely would stunt the development of Hackenberg, who was general manager Mike Maccagnan’s second-round pick last year and a quarterback the Jets hope they can turn into a franchise leader. — With the quarterback-needy Browns, 49ers and Bears ahead of the Jets in the draft, the chances of him falling to No. 6 seem unlikely — particularly as the draft buildup always overvalues the top quarterbacks. Maccagnan is committed to building his very needy roster through the draft. And, if Watson is not going to drop to the Jets’ No. 6 overall pick in the first round, there’s little chance they’re going to trade up to get him, because it will cost them too many draft picks. But if Watson is staring them in the face at No. 6, the Jets should do what the Alabama defense was unable to do late Monday night and pounce on him. No player coming out of the draft is a lock to be a star or even a starter. But Watson’s upside looks scary good. Sometimes you need to take a chance. This is a chance worth taking for the Jets, who haven’t had a dynamic offensive talent that draws the attention of opposing defenses in forever.

wdw.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=300
Watson gets hit hard by Alabama’s defense

In the coming months you’re going to hear more than you care to about North Carolina quarterback Mitch Trubisky, who’s been the most recent flavor of the month, as well as Notre Dame’s DeShone Kizer and Texas Tech’s Pat Mahomes. None of those quarterbacks, who might have better NFL Combine “measurables’’ than Watson, has done what Watson did in the biggest game in the sport the last two years. The kid is a winner (28-2 in the last two years) and by many accounts he’s heaven-sent to be the face of a franchise. And, for a Jets franchise that has been faceless for years, that has to be too tantalizing to pass up. “Whoever picks me up is gonna get a champion, not just on the field, but off the field, and just a champion at heart who’ll make people around him better,” Watson told ESPN on Monday night. Earlier in the night in the moments after Clemson’s win, in his way of declaring for the NFL draft, Watson said, “It’s my time to go.”

It’s his time to go to the Jets. If they can make it happen.

Tim Tebow was a winner in college too!

Tim Tebow was a winner in college too!

As if there's even remotely a comparison. It cracks me up, before us going 10-6 all I heard were people saying we would just wait and suck for Watson in two years. Now we can draft him and no, he's not good enough. Like starving people standing at the buffet complaining the food's not perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

1 minute ago, Snell41 said:

As if there's even remotely a comparison. It cracks me up, before us going 10-6 all I heard were people saying we would just wait and suck for Watson in two years. Now we can draft him and no, he's not good enough. Like starving people standing at the buffet complaining the food's not perfect.

Wasn't this person, I've always thought Watson a fraud NFL QB, great to amazing college QB like Tebow was always my view.

2 minutes ago, tfine said:

Sadly no QB will ever succeed here. Not with this rabid fan base...Jets fans are a bunch of millennials when it comes to the QB. They want the golden egg but won't wait for the goose to lay it

A millennial recently raped and killed all of my geese, then he asked if he could go home early, unreal

1 hour ago, ASH1962 said:

Sadly, it would not matter who the QB we pick is as long as we still employ this imbecile HC and his staff. They could F up Andrew Luck if they had the chance.

IMO the QB point is moot until we have a competent CS.

Exactly the reason The Ravens did not promote their DC and let the JETS take him as HC.  Flacco would be Sanchez if he were under a REX HC scenario. Bowles is of the same cloth.

2 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Exactly the reason The Ravens did not promote their DC and let the JETS take him as HC.  Flacco would be Sanchez if he were under a REX HC scenario. Bowles is of the same cloth.

Not true at all

Hack would suck with any coach.  And Sanchez had a fairly decent first couple years until he got exposed with no weapons

6 hours ago, johnnysd said:

All we hear is "give rookie QB a red shirt year, don't rush him". We do that, and all of a sudden Hack is a bust, and we should draft someone else. no wonder we suck

you also hear draft a qb until you got a good one.  i can't say if watson is that guy but if there is a real frachise qb to be had the jets really need to take a hard look and make sure hack is truly the guy they want to keep.

If you look at the last 10, even 20 years of NFL drafting of QBs especially in top rounds there are alot more busts than hits. Clearly the people that are full time professional football analyists and evaluators, scouts, and GMs have no clue how to evaluate QBs coming out of college. So the really funny thing is when message board knuckleheads living Moms basement swear they know that this QB is going to be a bust and that QB is going to be great.

2 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Boom! 0-16 in 17!

Pretty set up for it. Get an old QB who can't play and call him a mentor. Let Petty and Hack play the season. Drop back collect picks this year while grabbing some o line talent. Let the secondary rot. Let Revis finish his contract next year just to torment him. We already kept Todd Bowles and pretty sure he is the perfect man for the job. If he has any worth trade Sheldon for anything. Finish top three for the draft and mortgage everything for Sam. I see no other way. We certainly can't take another QB this year who needs to sit. They all seem like they will need to. 

15 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Pretty set up for it. Get an old QB who can't play and call him a mentor. Let Petty and Hack play the season. Drop back collect picks this year while grabbing some o line talent. Let the secondary rot. Let Revis finish his contract next year just to torment him. We already kept Todd Bowles and pretty sure he is the perfect man for the job. If he has any worth trade Sheldon for anything. Finish top three for the draft and mortgage everything for Sam. I see no other way. We certainly can't take another QB this year who needs to sit. They all seem like they will need to. 

Boom! 15 year Franchise QB, multiple SB titles! Sign me up!

Archived