Discussion Topic Bill O'Brien

NYDreamer

We continue to hear that the Jets are having a difficult time trying to find a legitimate replacement for Offensive coordinator.  What if rumors out of Houston are true about Bill O'Brien possibly leaving after this season.  With the lack of offensive coordinator interviews and Bowels really in limbo, O'Brien has worked with McCagnan previously and did wonders with Hackenberg in College.  So what if Bill O'Brien comes available all of a sudden?  Do the Jets make the move and let Bowles go and hire O'Brien?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/13/bill-obrien-whatever-the-future-holds-it-holds/

So you are saying a head coach who made the playoffs in back to back seasons will leave his team but will agree to come work under a coach who failed to make playoffs two years in a row? I know your name is dreamer but my friend, please don't dream too much. 

Imagine if this guy fixes what everyone thinks is broke . If he came lose, he should take the job of OC with the Jets . If he fixes the Hack, he would have the inside track on the Jets job if Woody Johnson doesn't want to continue with Bowles or he can write his own ticket to where ever he wants .

1 hour ago, NYDreamer said:

We continue to hear that the Jets are having a difficult time trying to find a legitimate replacement for Offensive coordinator.  What if rumors out of Houston are true about Bill O'Brien possibly leaving after this season.  With the lack of offensive coordinator interviews and Bowels really in limbo, O'Brien has worked with McCagnan previously and did wonders with Hackenberg in College.  So what if Bill O'Brien comes available all of a sudden?  Do the Jets make the move and let Bowles go and hire O'Brien?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/13/bill-obrien-whatever-the-future-holds-it-holds/

No, fans on a forum think the Jets are having a difficult time.  They believe their team sucks so badly that no one wants the job or that the powers that be are to stupid to find someone that they would have hired on day one. 

Just as theres little chance that Bill O'Brien is getting fired.  Injuries, a fail at QB and still wins the division and makes the playoffs and wins at least one game.  But hes getting fired?  And will run to become our coordinator, the job no one wants?

We need an OC at the moment. Forget any hope of a new HC this offseason it's not happening. Now O'Brian as an OC? I would love that..with that said it is not  happening. Bowles is not hiring his replacement. He's going to be spiteful and hire an inexperienced running backs coach who has defensive coordinated more than offensive coordinated.

8 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Macc can't fire Bowles. That has to come from the top. And that would be an extremely bad look. 

Worse then an 0-16, 1-15 look? I suggested this earlier in another thread. While it does give Woody too much credit for savvy and the thought might sound crazy, it is not totally impossible.

3 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

We need an OC at the moment. Forget any hope of a new HC this offseason it's not happening. Now O'Brian as an OC? I would love that..with that said it is not  happening. Bowles is not hiring his replacement. He's going to be spiteful and hire an inexperienced running backs coach who has defensive coordinated more than offensive coordinated.

What other story can we make up while we're at it?  

2 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

Worse then an 0-16, 1-15 look? I suggested this earlier in another thread. While it does give Woody too much credit for savvy and the thought might sound crazy, it is not totally impossible.

There isnt a chance in hell that they go 0-16 or 1-15.  Jeez

6 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

You were saying, Chief?

because I see 2 DC jobs on his resume and not one OC. You must not see well. I realize we must have some older guys on the forum. I suggest some contacts or maybe a pair of glasses.

IMG_0398.PNG

Chief?  Who the frig says that?

One, he's never been a OC or a DC outside of college.  We're talking NFL.  Hes been a coach for almost 20 years and his only defensive job was this?

Keep that line of nonsense up.  Of course he knows more about defense off those two seasons than he knows about offense after all these years.  Nice try

BTW, for what its worth, here he isnt a DC, ever:

Year Age Level Employer Role
1991 24 College Arizona Graduate Assistant
1992 25 College North Carolina Video Assistant
1993 26 College North Carolina Video Assistant
1994 27 College Wingate Defensive Backs
1995 28 College Kent State Defensive Backs
1996 29 College Kent State Defensive Backs
1997 30 NFL Chicago Bears Offensive Quality Control
1998 31 NFL Chicago Bears Offensive Quality Control
1999 32 NFL Chicago Bears Offensive Quality Control
2000 33 NFL Chicago Bears Offensive Quality Control
2001 34 NFL New York Giants Running Backs
2002 35 NFL New York Giants Running Backs
2003 36 NFL New York Giants Running Backs
2004 37 NFL Buffalo Bills Running Backs
2005 38 NFL Buffalo Bills Running Backs
2006 39 NFL Buffalo Bills Running Backs
2007 40 NFL Buffalo Bills Running Backs
2008 41 NFL Buffalo Bills Running Backs
2009 42 NFL Buffalo Bills Running Backs
2010 43 NFL Denver Broncos Running Backs
2010 43 NFL Denver Broncos Interim Head Coach
2011 44 NFL Denver Broncos Running Backs
2012 45 NFL Denver Broncos Running Backs
2013 46 NFL Denver Broncos Running Backs
2014 47 NFL Denver Broncos Running Backs
2015 48 NFL Denver Broncos Running Backs
2016 49 NFL Denver Broncos Running Backs

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

One, he's never been a OC or a DC outside of college.  We're talking NFL.  Hes been a coach for almost 20 years and his only defensive job was this?

Keep that line of nonsense up.  Of course he knows more about defense off those two seasons than he knows about offense after all these years.  Nice try

Hey chief, I still don't see offensive coordinator, regardless. Your point is moot. Try again...cheif.

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

Hey chief, I still don't see offensive coordinator, regardless. Your point is moot. Try again...cheif.

You shouldnt see it, I didnt say he was.   You're the one trying to make a goofy point that he has more defensive experience than offensive, which is ridiculous.  Its moot for sure, hes staying in Denver, who cares other than to watch people who have no clue about someone whine like babies about them

Just now, Jet Nut said:

You shouldnt see it, I didnt say he was.   You're the one trying to make a goofy point that he has more defensive experience than offensive, which is ridiculous.  Its moot for sure, hes staying in Denver, who cares other than to watch people who have no clue about someone whine like babies about them

My point being he doesn't know enough. I've done my research on this candidate. I know what I'm talking about, otherwise I wouldn't of posted at all. You should try it sometime. Such a reach with your NFL/College reference.? And also, I'll whine all I want about this guy if I dont find him worthy option when my conclusion is made. That's me. That's my opinion and that's why I'm on this board, to voice my opinion. You worry about you and get off my case. You quoted ME to begin with. I didn't say anything to you.

5 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

My point being he doesn't know enough. I've done my research on this candidate. I know what I'm talking about, otherwise I wouldn't of posted at all. You should try it sometime. Such a reach with your NFL/College reference.? And also, I'll whine all I want about this guy if I dont find him worthy option when my conclusion is made. That's me. That's my opinion and that's why I'm on this board, to voice my opinion. You worry about you and get off my case. You quoted ME to begin with. I didn't say anything to you.

Yeah, all those years as an offensive coach proves he doesnt know enough, lol.  You did your research.  Translation:  Before I looked him up and researched his history you had no idea who this guy was.  

Exactly my point

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Yeah, all those years as an offensive coach proves he doesnt know enough, lol.  You did your research.  Translation:  Before I looked him up and researched his history you had no idea who this guy was.  

Exactly my point

No, you don't have a point. I very well knew who Eric was before he was even brought up in this forum from his days with the Bills. Extensive research was made when he was mentioned as a candidate. I don't have to explain myself to some guy I don't even know.? Just because he runs the running backs for two decades doesn't mean he qualifies in my eyes as a solid option. Who are you to tell me what qualifies from my perspective....think that's why it's called my perspective. Dunno though. I'm done going back and forth. Have a nice night, cheif. My hats off to you and your attention span.

34 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

i don't see where this guy has made such a great splash at any level of his coaching career.  bowles should pass.

25 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

No, you don't have a point. I very well knew who Eric was before he was even brought up in this forum from his days with the Bills. Extensive research was made when he was mentioned as a candidate. I don't have to explain myself to some guy I don't even know.? Just because he runs the running backs for two decades doesn't mean he qualifies in my eyes as a solid option. Who are you to tell me what qualifies from my perspective....think that's why it's called my perspective. Dunno though. I'm done going back and forth. Have a nice night, cheif. My hats off to you and your attention span.

I've made it more than one time. Clearly you're in the mood to argue this, whether there is a point or not.

I havent told anyone what he is or isnt, thats on you, youre running it good.  I'm the one saying we dont know jack about him. That he was a college assistant on the defensive side means nothing

We should hope Bowles hires a moron & we go 3-13 next year. We need a QB & 2018 is full of them, at least 3 guys will go top 10. Jets soar into 2020 as Super Bowl favorites. You heard it hear & it confirms, tanking is good!

Because of last game wins in lost seasons we've lost out on Matt Ryan & OBJ. Instead we got Gholston & Pryor, but those wins were thrilling and catapulted us into winning seasons.....uh, maybe not.

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

We should hope Bowles hires a moron & we go 3-13 next year. We need a QB & 2018 is full of them, at least 3 guys will go top 10. Jets soar into 2020 as Super Bowl favorites. You heard it hear & it confirms, tanking is good!

Because of last game wins in lost seasons we've lost out on Matt Ryan & OBJ. Instead we got Gholston & Pryor, but those wins were thrilling and catapulted us into winning seasons.....uh, maybe not.

Winning week 17 this year didn't impact our draft position. 

We're the Jets, there is no guarantee we pick Ryan or OBJ with earlier picks. 

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

Winning week 17 this year didn't impact our draft position. 

We're the Jets, there is no guarantee we pick Ryan or OBJ with earlier picks. 

The Jets got lucky beating the Bills did not affect their draft position.  They were trying to win anyway.

9 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

The guy you guys are talking about has indicated that he is staying in Denver.....

I understand it was just an interview and that does not always mean that a job will be offered but, you would think staying put instead of taking a promotion is interesting also adding more to my offseason dreaming.

https://www.sny.tv/jets/news/eric-studesville-to-remain-with-broncos/213386976

Wonder why Norv hasn't been mentioned? They might have made a call and he said no thanks. The O'Brien situation is intriguing but there is no chance if he is fired  he becomes our coach and Bowles then gets fired. A dream scenario would be he is hired as an assistant HC/OC and takes over for Bowles when he gets fired. Which I can't see that happening either. That would only create turmoil amongst the CS if Mac forces O'Brien on Bowles. O'Brien signed a 5 year contract so he would have to be fired or quit. He might be a target for next year if he is not fired and then hired by another team as a HC.

7 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

Wonder why Norv hasn't been mentioned? They might have made a call and he said no thanks. The O'Brien situation is intriguing but there is no chance if he is fired  he becomes our coach and Bowles then gets fired. A dream scenario would be he is hired as an assistant HC/OC and takes over for Bowles when he gets fired. Which I can't see that happening either. That would only create turmoil amongst the CS if Mac forces O'Brien on Bowles. O'Brien signed a 5 year contract so he would have to be fired or quit. He might be a target for next year if he is not fired and then hired by another team as a HC.

Macc doesn't hire and fire coaches. I'm pretty certain he will give an opinion but the staff is entirely on Bowles. Just like Bowles is entirely on Woody. 

10 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Macc doesn't hire and fire coaches. I'm pretty certain he will give an opinion but the staff is entirely on Bowles. Just like Bowles is entirely on Woody. 

Understood, that is why I put IF Mac forces Bill on to the CS. That is another reason why I don't see it happening, especially with Woody having to sign off on it. 

Archived