NFL DIvisional Playoffs Weekend Game Thread

joewilly12

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

So what? Rodgers was available to whomever it was that held the #26 pick (the Raiders had no problem trading up from that slot to #23, the pick ahead of the Packers, for a 4th rounder).

Of course we didn't even bother to wait to see who'd be there. Bradway just had to have Doug Jolley lol. He made that trade a couple days before the draft even started, bonehead that he was. 

Probably explains why he was banging his head on the table for Russell years later. ](*,)

9 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Reid is a phenomenally awful postseason coach.  His team's never fail to come up with miraculous ways to lose games in big spots.

Looks again as if he found out there was a game clock and timeouts about 5 minutes before kickoff. Frankly it's amazing he is still employed when this is not that hard to fix. 

Good coaches obsess over calling plays. Great coaches call a football game-situation, field position, down, distance, score, clock, personnel packages, mismatches. Reid can call plays , but will  never  be a great coach. He isn't getting it, ever, going on 3 decades as an NFL coach. 

9 hours ago, Powpow said:

Probably explains why he was banging his head on the table for Russell years later. ](*,)

Yeah meanwhile, after his GM boss(es) passed on busts he recommended drafting, Bradway didn't see fit to leak any of that to any beat writers. Didn't matter how much he was banging his head - or his feet or his wife or the Rex's wife's feet - on the table.

Funny how that works.

15 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

The trade in a vacuum was dumb to begin with. Trading a 1st rounder for a TE?

It definitely shows that Macc's second draft wa better than his first, in terms of overall quality, and that first draft was still done with Bradway's scouts

It really doesn't show anything of the sort. Also it's a horsesh*t reach of a reason anyway: 

He had spent the entire prior (2014) season scouting these players himself not just relying upon 2nd & 3rd-hand reports from those who did actual scouting. He had his own notes, his own videos, his own eyes, his own memory, and the notes from any scouts he actually wanted when he hired those scouts' bosses to help compile his master draft list. Your post suggests that the scouts' input is at its greatest several months after the games are over. How ridiculous.

Another cop out with the idea of absolving everything/anything this GM has done wrong. 

Andy Read for all of his excellent qualities manages to come up small with his philosophy when it counts again.  As far as long time successful coaches go I don't think there is a worse clock manages than him over a game. 

When your whole game is based on being conservative all the time it will catch up to you as well.

Oh and on the last play to Antonino Brown for a game sealing 1st down?  The Bob Sutton of the Mangini era reared his head and has Justin Houston dropping into coverage.

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Brady, Rodgers, Ben and Matt Ryan advance.  Last year people thought that QB was no longer that important because of how badly Peyton played for the SB-winning Broncos.  This year proved once again how important having a franchise QB is.  He gives you a shot. 

There really is no four,la to winning it all.  The one thing that is 100% true is having a franchise QB gets you into the playoffs and give you more cracks at the prize.

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Brady, Rodgers, Ben and Matt Ryan advance.  Last year people thought that QB was no longer that important because of how badly Peyton played for the SB-winning Broncos.  This year proved once again how important having a franchise QB is.  He gives you a shot. 

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

There really is no four,la to winning it all.  The one thing that is 100% true is having a franchise QB gets you into the playoffs and give you more cracks at the prize.

All the more reason that the REX approach , used by many is not a TRUE winning formula.   I am convinced now, more than ever that an above average QB is needed to truly advance.   Dak was impressive as is Wilson at times but silently, teams should TANK as opposed to sign the mortgage for a BUM like Fitzpatrick.

5 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

All the more reason that the REX approach , used by many is not a TRUE winning formula.   I am convinced now, more than ever that an above average QB is needed to truly advance.   Dak was impressive as is Wilson at times but silently, teams should TANK as opposed to sign the mortgage for a BUM like Fitzpatrick.

yet he had us on the doorstep twice w/ Sanchez.

2 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

yet he had us on the doorstep twice w/ Sanchez.

You can't help yourself but defend Rex Ryan every time he's mentioned, and act like it's something brand new and fresh you're bringing to the table.  Just stop already.  That was 7 years ago. 

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You can't help yourself but defend Rex Ryan every time he's mentioned, and act like it's something brand new and fresh you're bringing to the table.  Just stop already.  That was 7 years ago. 

I will always be there to defend what I believe is right.  you guys can bash all you want and show no appreciation for what he did, I choose to appreciate and I will defend.  thank you for your input though.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I am 100% thrilled he did terribly in Buffalo. I am 100% thrilled Sanchez is nothing more than a 3rd string QB. I'm thrilled any time an ex-Jet flops in his next role. Shaun Ellis, Chris Baker, Victor Hobson going to the Pats; Braylon in San Fran; Thomas Jones in KC; Cotchery whining to get out & dropping to 4th string on Pittsburgh; Shonn Greene being such a bust for Tennessee; Ivory starting exactly 1 football game in 2016 after Jacksonville gave him a $7m/yr contract; Dustin Keller (though it's sad how his career ended); Mike DeVito; LaRon Landry; Brad Smith; so many more, not to mention the endless list of nobodies (Westerman, Ratliff, Walls, Allen, Kenrick Ellis, etc.) being a Cherrios box full of zeros after we "lost" them.

Why any Jets fan would root for an active ex-Jet to have future success off the team is beyond me. I want all ex-Jets to be (non-injury) NFL flops after they're done here. Last thing I want to find out is we let a good one go. I'd think any Jets fan would want to know we made good decisions on such people. 

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I am 100% thrilled he did terribly in Buffalo. I am 100% thrilled Sanchez is nothing more than a 3rd string QB. I'm thrilled any time an ex-Jet flops in his next role. Shaun Ellis, Chris Baker, Victor Hobson going to the Pats; Braylon in San Fran; Thomas Jones in KC; Cotchery whining to get out & dropping to 4th string on Pittsburgh; Shonn Greene being such a bust for Tennessee; Ivory starting exactly 1 football game in 2016 after Jacksonville gave him a $7m/yr contract; Dustin Keller (though it's sad how his career ended); Mike DeVito; LaRon Landry; Brad Smith; so many more, not to mention the endless list of nobodies (Westerman, Ratliff, Walls, Allen, Kenrick Ellis, etc.) being a Cherrios box full of zeros after we "lost" them.

Why any Jets fan would root for an active ex-Jet to have future success is beyond me. I want all ex-Jets to be (non-injury) NFL flops after they're done here. Last thing I want to find out is we let a good one go. I'd think any Jets fan would want to know we made good decisions on such people. 

buts it kinda embarrassing that some of those players were "cornerstone" players here, and it turns out they sucked, lol.  Hobson was particularly rough, he went from starting here to out of football

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Why any Jets fan would root for an active ex-Jet to have future success is beyond me. I want all ex-Jets to be (non-injury) NFL flops after they're done here. Last thing I want to find out is we let a good one go. I'd think any Jets fan would want to know we made good decisions on such people. 

Crazy how Rex got the most out of all those bums.  I miss the good old days.

Just now, Larz said:

buts it kinda embarrassing that some of those players were "cornerstone" players here, and it turns out they sucked, lol.  Hobson was particularly rough, he went from starting here to out of football

No doubt. It's why there were such tears over their departures. Never mind that we so often a bad team even with them on it (or a decent team despite them on it).

Meanwhile it's rare for the team to lose really good players and live to regret it (or not for long, anyway). The biggest name that comes to mind is Revis, I suppose, and even that was reversible since he'd have come here for less than we gave him a year later. Otherwise we're talking about Matt Slauson & Danny Woodhead (plus that 10-day span the NFL was cooing over Mark Sanchez in Philadelphia).

Eff them all.

9 minutes ago, JiF said:

Crazy how Rex got the most out of all those bums.  I miss the good old days.

That isn't really true, and I was more than fair to him for years. 

Cotchery arguably got worse (certainly no better). Ivory's best season was 2015. Greene's numbers suggest he was better than he actually was because they got inflated by a couple of games against mediocre or stinky rush D's, and being fresh young legs against tired players in the playoffs. Even Powell looks better now than ever before. Kenrick Ellis never developed despite his supposedly high ceiling talent. Braylon's best season was before he came here. Ditto Santonio Holmes. Shaun Ellis was already a pro bowler before 2009. I'd be more sympathetic to giving him a fair amount of credit re Revis if there was any other CB the team developed from 2009-2014. 

I'm just being fair. There were some success stories among less-heralded prospects - particularly along the DL with guys like Snacks, Pouha, DeVito - but ultimately it wasn't enough.  In his defense, I suppose, is the idea that there isn't a long list of players who became good/great players after leaving the Jets either. It's not like Coples/Gholston/Kyle Wilson/Sanchez finally realized their 1st round talent once they got away from here.

Anyway my point both pre-dates & post-dates the Ryan years. 

11 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It really doesn't show anything of the sort. Also it's a horsesh*t reach of a reason anyway: 

He had spent the entire prior (2014) season scouting these players himself not just relying upon 2nd & 3rd-hand reports from those who did actual scouting. He had his own notes, his own videos, his own eyes, his own memory, and the notes from any scouts he actually wanted when he hired those scouts' bosses to help compile his master draft list. Your post suggests that the scouts' input is at its greatest several months after the games are over. How ridiculous.

Another cop out with the idea of absolving everything/anything this GM has done wrong. 

When it all falls apart at the seams, he'll always have a career as a model for Starbucks.

Image result for jets gm pictures

9 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

No doubt. It's why there were such tears over their departures. Never mind that we so often a bad team even with them on it (or a decent team despite them on it).

Meanwhile it's rare for the team to lose really good players and live to regret it (or not for long, anyway). The biggest name that comes to mind is Revis, I suppose, and even that was reversible since he'd have come here for less than we gave him a year later. Otherwise we're talking about Matt Slauson & Danny Woodhead (plus that 10-day span the NFL was cooing over Mark Sanchez in Philadelphia).

Eff them all.

I think it's situational because I was happy to see Kerley thrive in San Fran because this team didnt really do right by him. 

Also, Cotchery caught like 10 TDs a couple years ago with Carolina. Think he's retired now. 

Archived