Cimini expects Jets to target Glennon

AFJF

4 minutes ago, tfine said:

Why? what other team would sign him? Most of the QB needy teams will grab one in the draft. If he comes here he will be our starter. Day 1

We'll see.  Some teams might want a guy who can play right now, instead of a guy who has to learn how to take a snap from center and call a play.

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, AFJF said:

Exactly...starter from day 1.  Last season people said Fitz would only get $4 million.  Starting QB's don't make $4 million.  At the very least, unless they are coming off of an injury, they make $12 million.

But Fitz made that money based on his performance last season...this guy sat for two years. Nobody will give him a big contract. 1 year deal. Also look at Cousins too

Just now, tfine said:

But Fitz made that money based on his performance last season...this guy sat for two years. Nobody will give him a big contract. 1 year deal. Also look at Cousins too

Time will tell.

2 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

There is zero guarantee that Glennon or Taylor or whomever earns that money and plays well. Based on their careers it's likely they play okay enough to win 6 or 7 games but cannot elevate the franchise to the next level. If they could their respective teams wouldn't be looking to let them go. All 6 or 7 wins gets you is a regime change, and outside of the drafting range for a legitimate quarterback. Not interested in mediocrity anymore. 

Very well said. No to Glennon or any other vet who will go 6-10 , 7-9 year after year. Rebuild properly. Start Petty. If he sucks ass, go to Hack. If he shows promise, fine. If not, you are guaranteed to pick in Top 5. Go make your move for the best QB prospect. Rinse and repeat until you find your franchise QB. 

9 minutes ago, Fibonacci said:

Very well said. No to Glennon or any other vet who will go 6-10 , 7-9 year after year. Rebuild properly. Start Petty. If he sucks ass, go to Hack. If he shows promise, fine. If not, you are guaranteed to pick in Top 5. Go make your move for the best QB prospect. Rinse and repeat until you find your franchise QB. 

Without a franchise QB or close to one this organization wins nothing. 

3 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Taylor has shown he can win games in the NFL Taylor is an exciting up and coming QB on the right team even with Rex Taylor was exciting. 

I havent seen enough of Glennon to say he is equal or better to Taylor, is he. 

If you don't wanna like Glennon, that's fine. But bitching that he's no Taylor? Geez. 

3 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

In general I like your post but let me make this clear to any Jet fan..

No starting NFL QB will make less than Fitz did last year..... NO ONE......

So why even suggest that you will get a starting QB for $7 Million Dollars...

Any starting QB in the NFL will get at least $14 Million Dollars...

Come on now!!!!

Im not in anyway suggesting they would..... 

2 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

There is zero guarantee that Glennon or Taylor or whomever earns that money and plays well. Based on their careers it's likely they play okay enough to win 6 or 7 games but cannot elevate the franchise to the next level. If they could their respective teams wouldn't be looking to let them go. All 6 or 7 wins gets you is a regime change, and outside of the drafting range for a legitimate quarterback. Not interested in mediocrity anymore. 

Real talk. Have the Jeys draft their own it will happen

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

The QB stirs the drink sets the tone. Teams rally around a legitimate QB and play harder. 

I agree.....

And I have been in favor of Glennon or Taylor as our QB next year.  I am just not sure that they can uplift the whole team like that and that might be too much to ask.....

However Chad Pennington specifically stated that Fitz' play was much much worse than his stats and that his overreaching play pulled the defense down and adversely impacted the entire team so you might be right. :) 

Glennon might be good enough to carry the offense to 5-7 wins, keep the disaster that is Bowles employed and cost the Jets any shot at a franchise QB in 2018 draft. That is, if they can find anyone dumb enough to sign up for Bowles' short term horror show. But this would be entirely typical water-treading stupidity.  

Aren't winning a damn thing in 2017. Burn it down. Blow it up. Clean house. Throw out the trash. 

1 minute ago, Jet Life said:

Mike Glennon is not and never will be Kurt Warner

Glennon doesn't have to be Kurt Warner here all he doesn't have to be is Ryan Fitzpatrick!!!!

Again for folks who don't understand Fitz' play last year wasn't just bad, it was HISTORICALLY bad last year.

See this.....

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18226665/ryan-fitzpatrick-historically-bad-2016

And here is just one gem from that article..

The most noticeable issue facing Fitzpatrick is his poor interception rate. It isn't so much that the volume of interceptions is off the charts, but when you factor in his low number of attempts compared to QBs who have thrown a similar number of picks, his rate is downright alarming. In a season that is on pace to have the lowest percentage of passes intercepted in league history (2.1 percent, which would break the previous record set last season at 2.4 percent), Fitzpatrick has had 4.1 percent of his attempts picked this season, by far the highest rate of any qualified QB this season (the next-closest is the also-benched Case Keenum at 3.5 percent).

1 minute ago, Charlie Brown said:

Glennon doesn't have to be Kurt Warner here all he doesn't have to be is Ryan Fitzpatrick!!!!

Again for folks who don't understand Fitz' play last year wasn't just bad, it was HISTORICALLY bad last year.

See this.....

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18226665/ryan-fitzpatrick-historically-bad-2016

And here is just one gem from that article..

The most noticeable issue facing Fitzpatrick is his poor interception rate. It isn't so much that the volume of interceptions is off the charts, but when you factor in his low number of attempts compared to QBs who have thrown a similar number of picks, his rate is downright alarming. In a season that is on pace to have the lowest percentage of passes intercepted in league history (2.1 percent, which would break the previous record set last season at 2.4 percent), Fitzpatrick has had 4.1 percent of his attempts picked this season, by far the highest rate of any qualified QB this season (the next-closest is the also-benched Case Keenum at 3.5 percent).

Last month, Adam Schefter reported that Glennon could get $13-15M on the open market. If I'm paying that much for a QB, the bar has to be higher than "he isn't Fitzpatrick."

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/12/mike-glennon-contract-report-espn-15-million-brock-osweiler-free-agency-nfl-tampa-bay-buccaneers

12 minutes ago, Jet Life said:

Last month, Adam Schefter reported that Glennon could get $13-15M on the open market. If I'm paying that much for a QB, the bar has to be higher than "he isn't Fitzpatrick."

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/12/mike-glennon-contract-report-espn-15-million-brock-osweiler-free-agency-nfl-tampa-bay-buccaneers

Don't argue with me!! :) 

That is the way the pay scale is now set up for even average QBs.  The rules are just so favorable for the passing game that mediocre QBs are paid handsomely and I believe Taylor has shown himself to be better than average and that Glennon will show the same thing.

I'm ok giving him a shot as long as Kaepernick doesn't go anywhere near the roster...  

Stat wise Glennon did ok in the past.. I think you would for sure have to spend money and build around him quick before he get's destroyed like Petty/Fitz/Geno.  We'll see!

Just now, Charlie Brown said:

Don't argue with me!!

That is the way the pay scale is now set up for even average QBs.  The rules are just so favorable for the passing game that mediocre QBs are paid handsomely and I believe Taylor has shown himself to be better than average and that Glennon will show the same thing.

Sadly that is the market you are correct, and Houston just showed us how stupid it is to follow this model. That Osweiller deal is tragic. You can have your opinion though, I just disagree with it. Would rather not shell out 15M for Mike Glennon.

4 minutes ago, Jet Life said:

You can make this argument about any unknown QB

I'm not going to argue with you what has been beaten to death out here but (i) Glennon is not totally unknown and (ii) the amounts quoted out here are hardly crazy.

Let's look at what Rotoworld says about him:

http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/8374/mike-glennon

Across his 21 appearances, Glennon has completed 374-of-630 passes (59.4 percent) for 4,100 yards (6.5 YPA) and a 30:15 TD:INT mark. He's certainly held his own when under center and will probably be the top free agent passer on the market in March, along with Jay Cutler, assuming Cutler gets cut. The $13-15 million per year would put Glennon in the Ryan Fitzpatrick/Colin Kaepernick range of quarterback salary. It would be a fair number. Glennon just turned 27

2 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

I agree.....

And I have been in favor of Glennon or Taylor as our QB next year.  I am just not sure that they can uplift the whole team like that and that might be too much to ask.....

However Chad Pennington specifically stated that Fitz' play was much much worse than his stats and that his overreaching play pulled the defense down and adversely impacted the entire team so you might be right. :) 

The QB position destroyed this team this past season. 

8 hours ago, NoBowles said:

Just curious joewilly, I have seen you advocate for Tyrod Taylor, so why is Glennon another teams trash but Taylor is not? If Taylor becomes available its because he will have been cut. Glennon isn't even cut, just not re-signed. Winston is a serious talent that TB had the option to draft. It was more of an opportunity selection than trying to move away from Glennon IMO.

Taylor also has had 0 success in the NFL.

First paragraph totally fair.

Second paragraph totally unfair.

Taylor has started for two seasons. He is 27 years old. He has:

Year One: 24 TD - 6 INTs - 3035 passing - 569 rushing yards

Year Two: 23 TDs - 6 INTs - 3023 passing - 580 rushing yards

That is NOT 0 success. We get that you hate him and don't want him here. But be fair and accurate in your statements.

Glennon would be worth a shot. Really depends on the price.

If he is considerably cheaper than Taylor (if Taylor is available) go Glennon.

Otherwise go Taylor and keep trying to draft the long term QB of the future.

6 minutes ago, Maxman said:

That is NOT 0 success. We get that you hate him and don't want him here. But be fair and accurate in your statements.

Exactly. 

8 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Im not going to judge Glennon yet but what do the Jets think they are accomplishing if they sign Glennon but bringing in another teams trash who has 0 success in the NFL. 

Glennon will come cheaper than Taylor and allow them to sign other much needed free agents. 

If they do sign Glennon I will support him and hope for the best. 

This move is typical NY Jets, 1000x better than signing the bearded imposter QB. 

Image result for mike glennon pics

The Eternal Optimist.

Add Stephon Gilmore or Trumaine Johnson, Resign Winters and another olinemen through free agency. Draft Cam Robinson to protect this kid and I'm all for it. Before we find a qb we need to find a line to protect him you could put Brady behind our line and he'd get crushed. 

6 hours ago, Maxman said:

I have zero hate for him, I actually think he is a good kid and easy to root for AND, I would strongly prefer him over Cutler or Romo in a short term contract. I just don't think he is a very good passer of the football, and will not be a legit starting QB in this league. AND, he is going to get a lot of money.

Glennon has thrown for over 4000 yards, 30 TD's and 15 int's, and played with far less talent in that he had an awful line and an awful running game.

I am not sure how I am being unfair in the least. I actually thought joewilly's post was the unfair one. HE said Glennon had zero success in the NFL, my point was if your clamoring for Taylor, not sure how you say Glennon had no success if you think Taylor did. Neither of them has had a winning season as a QB, neither has won a div, neither has played a playoff game.

We get that you love him, and really want him here, but be fair and accurate in your criticism of posters.

7 hours ago, Maxman said:

Glennon would be worth a shot. Really depends on the price.

If he is considerably cheaper than Taylor (if Taylor is available) go Glennon.

Otherwise go Taylor and keep trying to draft the long term QB of the future.

I think they are both going to get similar offers.

Unfortunately, I think either one prevents you from drafting high draft picks. Either guy is going to get an Osweiler type contract, they both have had more success then he, and are better prospects then he. You sign a contract like that, you are declaring him the guy, and you don't draft high picks. This is why I'd personally rather stay way from both of them. They are more bandaids then fixes, both of them.

Archived