Dan Quinn Looking like the Coach we miss out on.

Tony The Wiz

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People talking about Dan Quinn and the bad defense of the Falcons but in some of the games I watched they made some big plays and some big stops as well at critical times. They are heading in the right direction as a defense and as team. Certainly they are much better off than we are coaching wise. Also they have Matt Ryan which is a big factor but they have had him in previous years before Quinn and had a few very poor years including last years drop off. It appears Quinn is growing nicely as an NFL head coach.

i can't quite get behind this.  Quinn inherited a team that had a good if not great franchise QB in his prime, as well as a top 3 WR.  Bowles inherited an old team with a "great defense".  the falcons defense is only good because their offense puts them up 15-17 points so quickly.

13 hours ago, Tony The Wiz said:

Watching the Falcons all year since Matt Ryan was on my fantasy this team looks like a whole different team. Another fine job by the Jets management. Yes he has a QB but Mike Smith had him and they never looked this good. He came from a winner in Seattle and was from New Jersey. Our miss again. I was calling for him when he was available and thought he was a good fit. Just our luck!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Can we find all the posts from their first seasons when Jets fans were high fiving each other for not signing Quinn 

16 hours ago, gEYno said:

They may have Matt Ryan, but we beat the Chiefs on 12/30/07, getting us to 4-12 on the season. I've been told that that's what really matters.  So forget Matt Ryan... We beat the Chiefs in 2007 and got Vernon Gholston!

Times like this the Alzheimer's don't looks so bad. 

6 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Can we find all the posts from their first seasons when Jets fans were high fiving each other for not signing Quinn 

Many of US wanted Dan Quinn I think the same crew who didnt want Fitz coincidence or maybe we know a little something about football. 

1 hour ago, jmat321 said:

As soon as I see the name Mehta near an article, it instantly becomes non credible, at least to me.  The whack job he did to Doug Marrone was disgraceful.

The only Jets reporters who I really respect are Bob Glauber and Chris Lopresti

50 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Many of US wanted Dan Quinn I think the same crew who didnt want Fitz coincidence or maybe we know a little something about football. 

Not too many wanted Quinn.  No one was talking about Quinn when Atl went on their long losing streak last year.  

The whole matter of Quinn is sort of irrelevant because the Jets were never going to wait until after the Super Bowl to get a HC in here considering risk of being stuck with possibly terrible options if Quinn decided to go to Atlanta or anyone else for that matter. Imagine the Bills this year waiting >1 month to POSSIBLY sign a HC. Just too much uncertainty not worth the risk considering Bowles so highly regarded. 

I honestly don't like Bowles for multiple reasons but i dont blame Jets brass for bringing him on board when they did. Had to be done

On 1/14/2017 at 6:34 PM, UnitedWhofans said:

So to even it out, lets give Bowles an MVP QB and a great young playcaller

did Matt Ryan look like an MVP the previous few years? he still had some of the best ta;lent in the league around him.  

I think the Quinn stuff is kind of laughable btw.  There are coaches who can really make a difference (Belichick and Parcells come to mind) but Quinn hasn't proved anything imo.  Does anyone really think the Jets would be in the Falcons spot right now had we hired Quinn?

Is anyone convinced Mike McCarthy is a great coach?  (not saying he's terrible either btw but just that it's easy to look good w/ a HOF QB).

35 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I think the Quinn stuff is kind of laughable btw.  There are coaches who can really make a difference (Belichick and Parcells come to mind) but Quinn hasn't proved anything imo.  Does anyone really think the Jets would be in the Falcons spot right now had we hired Quinn?

Is anyone convinced Mike McCarthy is a great coach?  (not saying he's terrible either btw but just that it's easy to look good w/ a HOF QB).

what kin of difference has BB made w/o Tom Brady? and don't give me a few games to start this season.  he's a total failure w/o Brady and would be a DC somewhere today if Brady didn't emerge.

McCarthy is a very good coach, Quinn is looking really good but it's early.  

23 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

what kin of difference has BB made w/o Tom Brady? and don't give me a few games to start this season.  he's a total failure w/o Brady and would be a DC somewhere today if Brady didn't emerge.

McCarthy is a very good coach, Quinn is looking really good but it's early.  

How did they do the 4 games Brady was suspended this year?

How did they do in 2008 when Brady was out for the season and Matt Cassel took over?  (hint: they went 11-5)

How did they do Brady's first year (before he was Brady)?

Please this is a coach who squandered a 5-0/6-1 start last season. 

He took over a team with the best WR in Football and a very good QB who just had an MVP caliber season. 

The comparison isnt even close. 

Winning 10 games with Ryan Fitzpatrick is more impressive than winning 11 with Matt Ryan.  And I think Todd Bowles is a moron.

8 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

How did they do the 4 games Brady was suspended this year?

How did they do in 2008 when Brady was out for the season and Matt Cassel took over?  (hint: they went 11-5)

How did they do Brady's first year (before he was Brady)?

they were 3-1 against bad teams those first 4 games knowing Brady was coming back and 2-0 w/ a big time prospect playing QB.

in 2008 they won 6 less games w/o Brady than they did the year before w/ Brady against a far easier schedule and MISSED the playoffs.(Cassell would lead KC to a div title 2 years later)

Brady's first year they started 0-2 w/o him then went 11-3 w/ him en route to the SB.  year before they were 5-11 so that's 5-13 pre Brady in NE coming off 4 losing seasons in 5 years in Cleveland.  

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Agreed.

Fact of the matter is that Quinn went to a situation where he had a top tier caliber QB in his prime already in place. That's the biggest piece of the puzzle already in place before he even sets foot in the door.

I'm not sold on Quinn yet.

Archived