Introduction

Lray

Hey fellas,

Just joined the forum and wanted to introduce myself and some of my hopes and dreams for this offseason and the future. I'm a rare Irish Jets fan living in London. Been a fan for about 14 years.

This year I would love to see us take Fournette at 6. I know we have other glaring needs at the minute but I'd be gutted to have to watch him tear up the league for the next 10 years and know we missed out. I also think there's crazy depth at our real positions of need i.e pass rusher and CB. I especially love Ryan Anderson and Jourdan Lewis in the 2nd (trade Sheldon for another). I liked our OLine a lot better towards the end of the season and know we still need a serious upgrade at tackle but for me the talent just isn't there at no.6. I've watched some tape of Cam Robinson and while I think he's the best available, he's not really lighting my fire.

I prefer Kizer by a long way at QB but again think 6 is a reach for the talent. I think Watson will struggle in the NFL as pro DBs will read him super easily. He stares down his receiver on 99% of his plays and the other 1% he only looks at one side of the field. Trubisky bores the crap out of me. So many dump offs and screens inflate his completion % drastically. He kind of reminds me of Osweiller...

Here's a list of players I could live with at 6. In no particular order: Quincy Wilson, Jabrill Peppers (silly I know), Deshone Kizer, Cam Robinson, leaving out guys who obviously won't make it to 6.

As far as free agency goes I think we should clear as much room as possible in the cap. As much as that means we'll lose some real heroes in David Harris and Nick Mangold etc. I believe the time is right to move on. I think it's about $54 if we clear house. Bouye is my no1 target. I like Trumaine Johnson but reckon he'll be expensive and probably will resign with LA. I think it would be a good idea to offer Andrew Whitworth a 1yr deal. Reilly Reiff is also an option. Maybe look at Zach Brown or Dont'a Hightower to replace David Harris.

When it comes to QB I don't believe there's an easy or right answer. To be honest I'd like to see an open competition with a vet brought in for damage limitation purposes or at least to make games watchable. I'm not sold on anyone who's out there but I like watching Tyrod play.

My expectations last year weren't very high but this year they're rock bottom. Saying that I think there's a lot of excitement in rebuilding a roster and drafting early, I always go for the bad teams in Madden.

Anyway, that's about it. Nice to meet you all.

Lray

Nice initial post, welcome.

As for me I am so pissed with the "Fitz four" (Fitz+Marshall+Decker+Mangold) that as long as they are not on the 2017 roster I'll be fine with a rebuild.

With our QB/OC situation I'm all to focusing on the run game as well.  

27 minutes ago, Lray said:

Hey fellas,

Just joined the forum and wanted to introduce myself and some of my hopes and dreams for this offseason and the future. I'm a rare Irish Jets fan living in London. Been a fan for about 14 years.

This year I would love to see us take Fournette at 6. I know we have other glaring needs at the minute but I'd be gutted to have to watch him tear up the league for the next 10 years and know we missed out. I also think there's crazy depth at our real positions of need i.e pass rusher and CB. I especially love Ryan Anderson and Jourdan Lewis in the 2nd (trade Sheldon for another). I liked our OLine a lot better towards the end of the season and know we still need a serious upgrade at tackle but for me the talent just isn't there at no.6. I've watched some tape of Cam Robinson and while I think he's the best available, he's not really lighting my fire.

I prefer Kizer by a long way at QB but again think 6 is a reach for the talent. I think Watson will struggle in the NFL as pro DBs will read him super easily. He stares down his receiver on 99% of his plays and the other 1% he only looks at one side of the field. Trubisky bores the crap out of me. So many dump offs and screens inflate his completion % drastically. He kind of reminds me of Osweiller...

Here's a list of players I could live with at 6. In no particular order: Quincy Wilson, Jabrill Peppers (silly I know), Deshone Kizer, Cam Robinson, leaving out guys who obviously won't make it to 6.

As far as free agency goes I think we should clear as much room as possible in the cap. As much as that means we'll lose some real heroes in David Harris and Nick Mangold etc. I believe the time is right to move on. I think it's about $54 if we clear house. Bouye is my no1 target. I like Trumaine Johnson but reckon he'll be expensive and probably will resign with LA. I think it would be a good idea to offer Andrew Whitworth a 1yr deal. Reilly Reiff is also an option. Maybe look at Zach Brown or Dont'a Hightower to replace David Harris.

When it comes to QB I don't believe there's an easy or right answer. To be honest I'd like to see an open competition with a vet brought in for damage limitation purposes or at least to make games watchable. I'm not sold on anyone who's out there but I like watching Tyrod play.

My expectations last year weren't very high but this year they're rock bottom. Saying that I think there's a lot of excitement in rebuilding a roster and drafting early, I always go for the bad teams in Madden.

Lray

Welcome! I think Fournette would be an excellent pick at 6.

37 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

Nice initial post, welcome.

As for me I am so pissed with the "Fitz four" (Fitz+Marshall+Decker+Mangold) that as long as they are not on the 2017 roster I'll be fine with a rebuild.

With our QB/OC situation I'm all to focusing on the run game as well.  

I agree with the exception of Decker, who I think can come back and be the same productive guy he was before. The OC situation is dire. The Chiefs will likely block the Jets from taking to Nagy, and the candidate list is getting very short. I put this on Woody Johnson of course. He should have fired Bowles and let Maccagnan hire the next HC, because no one wants to come here with no QB, a head coach hanging by a thread and a GM hanging there with the HC. What a mess.

27 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

I agree with the exception of Decker, who I think can come back and be the same productive guy he was before. The OC situation is dire. The Chiefs will likely block the Jets from taking to Nagy, and the candidate list is getting very short. I put this on Woody Johnson of course. He should have fired Bowles and let Maccagnan hire the next HC, because no one wants to come here with no QB, a head coach hanging by a thread and a GM hanging there with the HC. What a mess.

Decker is coming off a double injury and with him returning as the only aged vet on the WR roster I think it sets up a bad dynamic for a rebuild.  We have plenty of young prospects so I'd sooner see which ones rise to the the occasion than retain an expensive and possible disgruntled (due to being "stuck" in a rebuild) vet.       

2 hours ago, Lray said:

Hey fellas,

Lray

Another Jets fan in London...good stuff.

I'm torn on the possibility of Fournette.

His running style and history make me wonder about his durability at the pro level, but he is crazy talented.

1 hour ago, Larz said:

we hate the jets.  is that ok with you?

All Jets fans aren't squishy balls of sunshine and happy thoughts?

1 hour ago, jmat321 said:

Solid first post, but let's get down to brass tacks here.  How do you feel about PSLs and tailgating?

Tailgating was one of the few highlights of the only game I've ever been to on US soil... It was the 31-0 to the Chargers..

9 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Another Jets fan in London...good stuff.

I'm torn on the possibility of Fournette.

His running style and history make me wonder about his durability at the pro level, but he is crazy talented.

I think his injury history is a blessing in disguise. Think about how many snaps he didn't get because of it.

2 minutes ago, Lray said:

All Jets fans aren't squishy balls of sunshine and happy thoughts?

Tailgating was one of the few highlights of the only game I've ever been to on US soil... It was the 31-0 to the Chargers..

Coming all the way from England, were you able to make it to the game by kickoff despite the super confusing time zone changes?

Asking for a friend.

5 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Coming all the way from England, were you able to make it to the game by kickoff despite the super confusing time zone changes?

Asking for a friend.

I had been working in LA for a month at the time and made the 2 hour drive down so it wasn't a problem. If I were to come over for a game it would be east coast for sure. The 5hr time difference isn't bad at all especially if it's an early game.

Just now, Lray said:

I grew up in Dublin. A good bit further south.

cool. my daughter is going to Dublin in the summer, My parents went to Tyrone (forgot the town) 5 years ago.  They told me if I ever go I will never come back, lol

8 minutes ago, Larz said:

cool. my daughter is going to Dublin in the summer, My parents went to Tyrone (forgot the town) 5 years ago.  They told me if I ever go I will never come back, lol

It's a beautiful part of the world.

This was the most intelligent write up I've seen posted on this forum in almost 2 full years and it came from a guy who is on the other side of the world, leaving him somewhat limited in his exposure to the NFL.  

Welcome buddy.

31 minutes ago, Lray said:

I met him before but I've never watched the show... Not really my thing.. He was funny though.

Cool.  Welcome aboard. 

If you ever come to the US please let me know, I've always got extra seats, no charge.

SAR I

6 hours ago, Lray said:

I grew up in Dublin. A good bit further south.

Love Dublin.  I've been about a dozen times and had my stag do out there.  Hoping to get back for a weekend as soon as possible.

Where in London?

27 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Love Dublin.  I've been about a dozen times and had my stag do out there.  Hoping to get back for a weekend as soon as possible.

Where in London?

I'm in Stoke Newington now but have lived generally in North London for the last 10yrs. I'll move back to Dublin eventually, can't beat living by the sea. 

1 minute ago, Lray said:

I'm in Stoke Newington now but have lived generally in North London for the last 10yrs. I'll move back to Dublin eventually, can't beat living by the sea. 

Never been out that way but my wife lived there before she moved to Wimbledon.  

Looking forward to getting back to Dublin for a few nights out.  One of my favorite cities in the world.

Archived