Going out on a Limb - Guess at 5 most likely picks for next Jets OC

Sarge4Tide

27 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Q: How are you all trying to fix Matt Ryan’s footwork, which led to some of the interceptions last season?

A: I just think that’s the key to all of the quarterbacks throughout the league. You want to have a consistent drop, a consistent balance in the pocket so that you can really get everything into the throw, so that you are throwing with good velocity. I talk to our guys all the time about being balanced in the pocket because if a guy gets a little off balanced, the accuracy tends to fall off a little bit.

Q: How are Sean Renfree and Matt Simms coming along?

A: They are doing a really good job. The toughest thing for them is just there are going to get limited reps. Every time that they get a chance to go out of the field, they have to make those reps count. That’s been a big stress from me to them, just you have to go through every situation, take mental reps when you can get them and when it is your opportunity, you’ve got to perform.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/football/questions-with-falcons-quarterbacks-coach-matt-lafleur/n2C1Mcu2XkvIn9Om8GG24L/

Really like that kid coming out .

Our next OC's fate is already in the team leaves.

Year one this young fresh up and comer will be hailed as a hero and a genius as the gets the Jets offense to look good for the 1st half of the year, a few grumbles will be heard towards the end of the season.

Half way through year two every one and their dog will be calling for his head and he and the Bowles regime will be dumspterized.

14 hours ago, Larz said:

They could have hired any of those guys already. They are stalking someone still coaching

+1 Or maybe someone who just got knocked out yesterday. Could this be any more obvious? 

Hey, they may not ultimately get the man they're after, but it seems clear they wanted to talk to at least one candidate whose offense was still playing.

I think hiring internally is the only option they are going to have.  The FO has two choices next season.  Either improve every phase of the team.  Whether that means keeping vets like B. Marshall, Revis, Mangold, and Harris, or convince Woody that the team needs a major overhaul and that because of the 2018 draft, this is the year to do it and get some assurances that he can develop some patience.

Of course Woody's word to Mangini wasn't any good so basically Macc and Bowles don't have a chance.

And it really reflects poorly on the Jets If Macc and Bowles are fired next season.  We had two veteran, SB winning consultants guide us through this process.  If this doesn't work out, it will be obvious to the entire league that the problem with the Jets is Woody.  Which means we won't be able to hire the top talent until he sells.

36 minutes ago, C Mart said:

He's on the street. Just looked him up...Falcons waived him after TC. Schaub is their #2 and Matt Simms is on their PS

Most Teams usually only keep 2 QBs, and when you think you have a championship level team, the backup is going to a season veteran and not an untested Rookie .  I thought the kid was trained well and had solid intangibles .

I would look to get someone like Moorehead with the understanding when they fire the idiot in about 50 weeks (or sooner) he is the next HC. Because  otherwise no sensible person is taking the OC job to be looking for work when Bowles inevitably gets canned. 

Brian Daboll.  Not saying he is the choice but wouldn't surprise me if he is. If Daboll wants it...He was OC in Miami '11, the year Bowles took over as interim HC when Sparano was fired...Was Jets QB Coach under Mangini. Was also OC in Cleveland & KC..McDaniels is staying in NE. Perhaps Godsey comes aboard as QB coach  

Brian Daboll ready to step in to lead the Patriots offense

Friday, January 06, 2017

FOXBORO — The seemingly inevitable and potentially imminent departure of Josh McDaniels will leave an obvious crater on the Patriots’ coaching staff.

It might appear like a rudimentary task to draw up plays for someone of Tom Brady’s ilk, but such a notion would discredit the demands heaved upon McDaniels to remain stride for stride with Brady from a preparation standpoint. That’s why the Pats have spent a few years grooming tight ends coach Brian Daboll as McDaniels’ successor, if the current offensive coordinator earns his second head coaching gig.

Make no mistake. Daboll is next in line, and he knows it. His knowledge of the system dates back to his time as the wide receivers coach under Charlie Weis, and Daboll always remained close with Bill Belichick, even when he joined Eric Mangini’s Jets staff in 2007.

When Belichick attends events, his inner circle routinely includes McDaniels, defensive coordinator Matt Patricia, right-hand man Ernie Adams and Daboll.

This is a job Daboll has prepared to seize, and his players vouch for his sterling reputation.

“He is a phenomenal coach,” tight end Martellus Bennett said. “He is one of the best I’ve ever been around, always prepared. Preparation is key. I’ve been in the league for 10 years, going into my 10th year (next year), and he has helped me grow as a player tremendously, whether it’s techniques, becoming a better player, a better teammate and things like that. A lot of my success is attributed to him this season. I put in the work, too, but he is invested in me and I invested in him. We have a great relationship together, so it’s fun working with him every day.”

The Patriots’ system is designed to promote from within, and Daboll returned here in January 2013 to solidify the foundation. McDaniels will interview for as many as three jobs this weekend (49ers, Rams, Jaguars), and it’s the third time in four years he has been through this process during the playoff bye week.

Belichick knows McDaniels will get hired again, and that’s when Daboll will take over. Daboll served as the offensive play-caller during the preseason finale in each of the past two years, and filled the same role for Brady’s team during the two blue-white scrimmages at training camp.

Daboll, 41, has worked as an offensive coordinator with the Browns (2009-10), Dolphins (2011) and Chiefs (2012), and those additional summer duties with the Patriots have kept him fresh.

“Brian does a lot,” wide receiver Chris Hogan said. “I know he has been around the league for a really long time, and he has a lot of knowledge that he can pass along to guys. Anytime he gets a chance to coach someone else up, he does it. If he thinks he can help you out, he is going to let you know.”

Daboll isn’t shy about helping receivers and running backs with their routes or blocking techniques, but his commitment is to the tight ends. It’s one thing to coach Rob Gronkowski and Bennett, but it’s another to get Matt Lengel up to speed as a midseason acquisition or to aid fullback James Develin when his responsibilities shift.

“He demands our best,” Develin said. “He’s a great coach. He is very thorough. He knows how to get the best out of each and every player who comes through that room. He has helped me tremendously over the past couple years, learning not only the tight end stuff but stuff as a fullback. He understands a lot about our offense, and he really tries to emulate that onto us.”

Lengel, who is in his second season, joined the Pats on Nov. 2 from the Bengals practice squad without any game experience. He has two catches for 22 yards and a touchdown in the last two games, and he has credited Daboll with that spurt of success. Specifically, Lengel noticed the stark difference in his execution while comparing his film before and after receiving pointers from Daboll.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/patriots/2017/01/brian_daboll_ready_to_step_in_to_lead_the_patriots_offense

Archived