Houston Texans, OC George Godsey agree to part ways

Maxman

The Houston Texans are making changes to their leadership on offense.

The Texans announced Monday the team and offensive coordinator George Godsey have mutually agreed to part ways.

"I'm grateful for the tireless work ethic and contributions George has made to our team over the last three years," coach Bill O'Brien said. "I wish him nothing but the best in the future."

Around The NFL will have more on Godsey leaving the Texans soon.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's definitely a younger option

BTW, the Texans now have the same problem the Jets have.

At a time when some have been wondering whether the Texans will have a mutual parting with coach Bill O’Brien, the team has indeed experienced a mutual parting, but one level down from the top of the coaching staff.

The Texans have announced that they have parted ways with offensive coordinator George Godsey.

“I’m grateful for the tireless work ethic and contributions George has made to our team over the last three years,” O’Brien said in a team-issued release. “I wish him nothing but the best in the future.”

Earlier in the day, O’Brien hinted that changes could come at the offensive coordinator position.

“We’re looking at everything,” O’Brien told reporters. “Look, George does a lot of good stuff for me — every coach does. I have even met with Bob [McNair] yet. I haven’t met with Rick [Smith] yet. We look at everything. Every coach is evaluated. I’m evaluated. I haven’t even heard about my evaluation from the owner. Look, I expect to be here next year, but we will begin the evaluation process here in a minute. Now, don’t take that and run with it, either. I’m going to be the head coach here next year. Again, just trying to inject some humor into it, but again it will be a headline. Everything is evaluated and that’s the process that starts here this afternoon.”

Apparently, the end result of the evaluation process was that O’Brien will return. He’ll return with a new offensive coordinator.

To make a quality hire, O’Brien will have to convince the person to whom he offers the job that it will be an assignment that lasts more than one season. Given that every joke has a kernel of truth, that may not be easy to do.

Given that the Texans are tied to Brock Osweiler for another season, it may be even more difficult to do.

5 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

To make a quality hire, O’Brien will have to convince the person to whom he offers the job that it will be an assignment that lasts more than one season. Given that every joke has a kernel of truth, that may not be easy to do.

Given that the Texans are tied to Brock Osweiler for another season, it may be even more difficult to do.

they have much better fans tho

Godsey is a really good coach with an equally good pedigree. Was just made the scapegoat here in Houston - he can thank Brock! On the other hand, did any amazing job last year (along with Bill) in managing to have a relatively decent offense with 18 different QB's starting for the team.

4 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

it is similar BUT they are coming off back to back div titles and they have a lot of young talent to attract an OC.

The big difference really between the offensive talent on the Jets and the Texans is the TE, CJ Fiedorowicz.

The receiving corps are about the same, stat wise, and the RBs also

Texans' George Godsey reflects on role after play-calling shakeup

Updated 7:56 pm, Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Texans offensive coordinator George Godsey endured a difficult week where his play-calling duties were taken away by coach Bill O'Brien.

Godsey and O'Brien go back a long way, including Godsey playing quarterback for O'Brien at Georgia Tech and working together on the New England Patriots' coaching staff.

16 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

it is similar BUT they are coming off back to back div titles and they have a lot of young talent to attract an OC.

BUT O'Brien was rumored to be on the bubble even with the div title.  He's more on the hot seat than Bowles at this point.  

Just now, joewilly12 said:

Texans' George Godsey reflects on role after play-calling shakeup

Updated 7:56 pm, Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Texans offensive coordinator George Godsey endured a difficult week where his play-calling duties were taken away by coach Bill O'Brien.

Godsey and O'Brien go back a long way, including Godsey playing quarterback for O'Brien at Georgia Tech and working together on the New England Patriots' coaching staff.

And things didn't get better did they?

1 minute ago, TexJet said:

Godsey is a really good coach with an equally good pedigree. Was just made the scapegoat here in Houston - he can thank Brock! On the other hand, did any amazing job last year (along with Bill) in managing to have a realtively decent offense with 18 different QB's starting for the team.

Great point about last year!. From afar, it seems that Brock was shoved down O'Brien's throat, and when he benched him is when all the rumors about him leaving started.

12 minutes ago, TexJet said:

Godsey is a really good coach with an equally good pedigree. Was just made the scapegoat here in Houston - he can thank Brock! On the other hand, did any amazing job last year (along with Bill) in managing to have a relatively decent offense with 18 different QB's starting for the team.

and two seasons before he had fitz at qb.  seems like a guy the jets should take a look at.

16 minutes ago, TexJet said:

I don't know him much, but reading up on him and his pedigree I would be ok with him.

2 minutes ago, rangerous said:

and two seasons before he had fitz at qb.  seems like a guy the jets should take a look at.

And there is the Mac connection. Don't have any idea what Mac thinks of him, but he certainly has experienced his coaching up close and personal as Texans QB coach in 2014.

8 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

300g667434.gif

Will Fuller and Robby Anderson are very similar players who had very similar years.

DeAndre Hopkins had a very poor year. Enunwa caught the same amount of TDs and caught a higher percentage of passes. Hopkins had more yards and more catches than Enunwa, but was targeted more.

Both teams ran for about the same amount of yards on the ground too.

watch he will wind up becoming the HC at east appalachian state

it would be a cool hire because when we are positing about how he shouldn't have called that incomplete pass, we can just post GG. its shorter than chan even

saves time

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

BTW, the Texans now have the same problem the Jets have.

At a time when some have been wondering whether the Texans will have a mutual parting with coach Bill O’Brien, the team has indeed experienced a mutual parting, but one level down from the top of the coaching staff.

The Texans have announced that they have parted ways with offensive coordinator George Godsey.

“I’m grateful for the tireless work ethic and contributions George has made to our team over the last three years,” O’Brien said in a team-issued release. “I wish him nothing but the best in the future.”

Earlier in the day, O’Brien hinted that changes could come at the offensive coordinator position.

“We’re looking at everything,” O’Brien told reporters. “Look, George does a lot of good stuff for me — every coach does. I have even met with Bob [McNair] yet. I haven’t met with Rick [Smith] yet. We look at everything. Every coach is evaluated. I’m evaluated. I haven’t even heard about my evaluation from the owner. Look, I expect to be here next year, but we will begin the evaluation process here in a minute. Now, don’t take that and run with it, either. I’m going to be the head coach here next year. Again, just trying to inject some humor into it, but again it will be a headline. Everything is evaluated and that’s the process that starts here this afternoon.”

Apparently, the end result of the evaluation process was that O’Brien will return. He’ll return with a new offensive coordinator.

Good post.

It is similar, they are blaming the O\C that they signed a QB that isn't any good yet to a crazy contract.

We are blaming assistant coaches that Revis isn't any good and the defense took a step back (without blaming the guy who installed the defense or his hand picked coordinator).

1 hour ago, Charlie Brown said:

The fans in Houston just hate him...

Just saying...

We shall see......

And our fans hated Gailey.

I don't think I can name a single fanbase that loves their offensive coordinator.  There were no complaints from Houston fans when they were lighting teams up with the likes of Fitz/Hoyer/Yates/etc. throwing to DeAndre Hopkins with no running backs/game and still putting up points.  Then Brock Lobster comes along and everything turns to muddy sh*t.  Someone else already said it, but this sounds like a scapegoat situation, similar to us and Chan.  

I'm not married to the idea, I think other guys are worth a look, but I'd have no problems with this hire.

Archived