Houston Texans, OC George Godsey agree to part ways

Maxman

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

And our fans hated Gailey.

I don't think I can name a single fanbase that loves their offensive coordinator.  There were no complaints from Houston fans when they were lighting teams up with the likes of Fitz/Hoyer/Yates/etc. throwing to DeAndre Hopkins with no running backs/game and still putting up points.  Then Brock Lobster comes along and everything turns to muddy sh*t.  Someone else already said it, but this sounds like a scapegoat situation, similar to us and Chan.  

I'm not married to the idea, I think other guys are worth a look, but I'd have no problems with this hire.

Spot on. If the Jets could hire McDaniels as OC he'd be ripped to shreds the first 3 an out in the first preseason game. Heck scrimmage. 

John McClain (@McClain_on_NFL)

1/16/17, 5:26 PM

In 2015, Godsey's offense was 19th, including 15th rushing, 18th passing. Tied for 13th (57 percent) in red zone.

In 2015, 4 QBs combined for 28 TDs and 12 INTs. Offense scored 34 TDs. This year, Osweiler had 15 TDs and 16 INTs. Offense scored 23 TDs.

With QB problems, offense has gone from 17th to 19th to 29th this season when Osweiler became the starter. 31st in red zone TDs.

6 minutes ago, C Mart said:

In 2015, Godsey's offense was 19th, including 15th rushing, 18th passing. Tied for 13th (57 percent) in red zone.

In 2015, 4 QBs combined for 28 TDs and 12 INTs. Offense scored 34 TDs. This year, Osweiler had 15 TDs and 16 INTs. Offense scored 23 TDs.

With QB problems, offense has gone from 17th to 19th to 29th this season when Osweiler became the starter. 31st in red zone TDs.

The biggest indictment on Brock is that Houston's offense was LOADED this year, especially compared to the first two seasons.  It was paired with a great defense too.  Unbelievable how poor he was.

18 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

The biggest indictment on Brock is that Houston's offense was LOADED this year, especially compared to the first two seasons.  It was paired with a great defense too.  Unbelievable how poor he was.

Agree. After seeing Godsey's resume I'm all for him as OC. Actually think it'd be a good hire. 

1 hour ago, C Mart said:

Thank you for putting up this post and providing some context..

15 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

The big difference really between the offensive talent on the Jets and the Texans is the TE, CJ Fiedorowicz.

The receiving corps are about the same, stat wise, and the RBs also

the WR talent may be similar but Houston has YOUNG talent to build around.  our best WRs are older verts who may not even be on the team in 2017.

15 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

BUT O'Brien was rumored to be on the bubble even with the div title.  He's more on the hot seat than Bowles at this point.  

If O'Brien was fired there would have been teams lining up to hire him, if Bowles was fired he might get a DC job.

13 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

the WR talent may be similar but Houston has YOUNG talent to build around.  our best WRs are older verts who may not even be on the team in 2017.

If O'Brien was fired there would have been teams lining up to hire him, if Bowles was fired he might get a DC job.

People said the same thing about Herm, Mangini & Rex

18 hours ago, Maxman said:

Good post.

It is similar, they are blaming the O\C that they signed a QB that isn't any good yet to a crazy contract.

We are blaming assistant coaches that Revis isn't any good and the defense took a step back (without blaming the guy who installed the defense or his hand picked coordinator).

Hire Godsey now. Hire O'Brien next year after we fire Bowles, and he can retain his OC, and perhaps we draft Sam Darnold.

18 hours ago, Maxman said:

Good post.

It is similar, they are blaming the O\C that they signed a QB that isn't any good yet to a crazy contract.

We are blaming assistant coaches that Revis isn't any good and the defense took a step back (without blaming the guy who installed the defense or his hand picked coordinator).

Sh*t rolls downhill in the NFL more than just about anywhere else.  It's hard to get fired in many professions.  Not the NFL.  You have to fire SOMEONE, and players who are being devoted huge cap space are always the last ones to go. 

Via Cimini:

The Jets are showing interest in former Texans offensive coordinator George Godsey, according to a league source. They could interview him for their vacant OC position as soon as tomorrow at the Senior Bowl. Godsey and the Texans mutually parted ways after the playoff loss to the Patriots. The Texans finished 29th in total offense, as $72 million QB Brock Osweiler struggled. The Jets also have interest in Saints WRs coach John Morton, per source.

Wonderful, last two years they had the 22nd and 30th passing offense in the league, combined with the 26th and 27th rushing offense in the league as well.  That sure sounds like an upgrade.  They did finish one spot ahead of us in overall rankings this year though.  

1 minute ago, win4ever said:

Wonderful, last two years they had the 22nd and 30th passing offense in the league, combined with the 26th and 27th rushing offense in the league as well.  That sure sounds like an upgrade.  They did finish one spot ahead of us in overall rankings this year though.  

It is the Texans though. Literally the only decent player they have on that side of the ball is Hopkins. He would be coming into a similar situation here depending on what Mac does with the offense via FA and the Draft. Maybe he can put some weapons around us on offense and Godsey dedicates his time to Hack. See what it does..idk man. What other options do we really have? Nagy is a pipe dream. They aren't letting him interview and who's to say he's leaving the Chiefs after a great year and playoff run the last few years.

8 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

It is the Texans though. Literally the only decent player they have on that side of the ball is Hopkins. He would be coming into a similar situation here depending on what Mac does with the offense via FA and the Draft. Maybe he can put some weapons around us on offense and Godsey dedicates his time to Hack. See what it does..idk man. What other options do we really have? Nagy is a pipe dream. They aren't letting him interview and who's to say he's leaving the Chiefs after a great year and playoff run the last few years.

They had Miller this year, and Fuller was basically Robby Anderson for them.  What frustrates me the most about them is that, there wasn't any inclination of improvement from Osweiller this year, and a decent defense killed him.  The only time he had a QB higher than 70 against a team in the top 16 in defense was the first game against the Jaguars (he got killed in the second one and benched I believe).  Osweiller seemed to regress as the season went on, which would worry me about his ability to get his QBs to actually be better.  

I really just want some guy that can actually install something different because I think the team is set up for the spread.  I have no problem going with a non-spread guy that is good at developing QBs, but we don't seem to be going after them either.  We have receivers and running backs, hence we have weapons.  Therefore, we should go for a spread system that is designed to give one on one match ups, to lessen the burden on a QB.  I don't know this guy very well, so I could be completely wrong, but it just feels like an uninspired candidate.  

25 minutes ago, win4ever said:

John McClain–‏@McClain_on_NFL

Bill O'Brien is going to call plays again. He called them in 2013. OC George Godsey has called them since. Texans tied 4 last n scoring.

6:40 AM - 30 Sep 2016

7 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Bill O'Brien is going to call plays again. He called them in 2013. OC George Godsey has called them since. Texans tied 4 last n scoring.

Ah, so the collapse wasn't completely his fault.  So if O'Brien was calling the plays, what was Godsey doing? Back to QB coach?

11 minutes ago, C Mart said:

1 minute ago, win4ever said:

Ah, so the collapse wasn't completely his fault.  So if O'Brien was calling the plays, what was Godsey doing? Back to QB coach?

Still not encouraging sign. We need a good X's and O's coach...so I agree with you Win4ever to an extent. 

Just now, Patriot Killa said:

Still not encouraging sign. We need a good X's and O's coach...so I agree with you Win4ever to an extent. 

I would have rather just kept Gailey than most of these candidates.  Have to wait and see who they hire I guess.  

3 minutes ago, win4ever said:

I would have rather just kept Gailey than most of these candidates.  Have to wait and see who they hire I guess.  

Fair. Gailey didn't seem to enthused to speak on Hack or his development though. He talked about mechanics being a thing for "next offseason". That pissed me off. What was he doing for Hack this entire time?

3 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Fair. Gailey didn't seem to enthused to speak on Hack or his development though. He talked about mechanics being a thing for "next offseason". That pissed me off. What was he doing for Hack this entire time?

Yeah, the whole Hackenberg issue was weird, I almost feel like it wasn't Gailey's pick.  He was high on Geno when he first got here, and they picked up Petty in his first year, which makes me think he wanted guys from spread systems that had similarities to his own system.  

He needs some major improvements on basic mechanics.  I wonder if they could get him to work with Pennington, because I saw him on Youtube talking about mechanics at his camp, and he had good mechanics while playing.  I'm very interested to see who Hackenberg works with this off season for his mechanics, because I think he could make a major leap if he could get his feet to be better.  

57 minutes ago, win4ever said:

Yeah, the whole Hackenberg issue was weird, I almost feel like it wasn't Gailey's pick.  He was high on Geno when he first got here, and they picked up Petty in his first year, which makes me think he wanted guys from spread systems that had similarities to his own system.  

He needs some major improvements on basic mechanics.  I wonder if they could get him to work with Pennington, because I saw him on Youtube talking about mechanics at his camp, and he had good mechanics while playing.  I'm very interested to see who Hackenberg works with this off season for his mechanics, because I think he could make a major leap if he could get his feet to be better.  

I been saying try to get Chad on the staff forever now. I watch a lot of his QB breakdown videos. He had a few on Petty's 4 game audition and I loved how knowledgeable he came off. I think he would make a terrific QB coach or if not that some kind of personal trainer. Hack needs someone.

godsey.jpg

By Glenn Naughton

Still without an offensive coordinator or quarterbacks coach with college All-Star games under way, it appears the Jets may be prepared to target an experienced play caller without the hassle of being blocked by his current team, because he doesn’t have one.

Rich Cimini of ESPN New York is reporting that the Jets may interview former Houston Texans offensive coordinator George Godsey after the Texans parted ways with the former Georgia Tech quarterback just two seasons in to his stint as head coach Bill O’ Brien’s offensive coordinator.

The Texans’ offensive production under Godsey is unlikely get Jets fans all that excited as the Texans went from the 14th ranked scoring offense one year before Godsey took over, to 21st and 28th over the next two seasons respectively.  However, few would argue that the Godsey and the Texans had much offensive talent on their roster outside of DeAndre Hopkins.

Aside from his stint in Houston, Godsey worked as an offensive assistant and tight ends coach under Bill Belichick with the New England Patriots, and spent six seasons at the University of Central Florida, four of which were spent as a quarterbacks coach, the other two coaching running backs.

Should Godsey get the Jets job, there would be at least a pair of familiar faces in Florham Park to help him get settled in to the area.  Of course, Jets General Manager Mike Maccagnan was hired away from Godsey’s old employer in Houston, and even more importantly, NFL insider Albert Breer noted recently that Godsey is, or at least was, a fan of Jets project quarterback Christian Hackenberg.

Head Coach Todd Bowles has full authority to fill the vacancies on his staff, but if Godsey is the choice, there’s a good chance Mike Maccagnan would have had a thought or two on his former co-worker to share with Bowles.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
2T27jty8va4

Click here to read the full story...

Archived