Houston Texans, OC George Godsey agree to part ways

Maxman

22 minutes ago, thadude said:

Doesn't help that we have tweetle dee and tweetle dumb currently as 1 and 2 on our qb depth chart

Totally.

9 minutes ago, Dcat said:

too bad that this is not how Woody has the Jets operate.  

Think most of us know that this team's organizational structure and level of success stays mired until Woody sells the friggin' thing.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, munchmemory said:

Totally.

Think most of us know that this team's organizational structure and level of success stays mired until Woody sells the friggin' thing.

his managerial organizational chart is horrible.  Starting with the HC reporting to Woody instead of to GM.  It just gets worse from there. Poorly run by a man who has no corporate experience outside of the easy-peasy charities his family gave him to run.  There's a reason why Woody Johnson was never allowed to take on any significant executive or managerial power at Johnson & Johnson.  Instead they gave him foundations and charities to play with.  Then he bought his favorite toy: The NY Jets.  

13 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

If the Jets hire George Godsey, I'd expect them to sign Hoyer as their veteran FA as he knows the system with his time in Houston and New England.

I expect a QB signing this free agency but hopefully vet min and he isn't asked to be a starter.

11 hours ago, Dinamite said:

So does Fitz :)

And he threw 6 TD's in that system DERRR that's big numbers D!?? ...?

14 hours ago, C Mart said:

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 5m5 minutes ago

#Jets have done extensive homework on former #Texans OC George Godsey, a strong candidate to fill their opening. Got strong recommendations

Wouldn't mind him as our QB coach. He has playing experience and coaching experience at the position, but OC is a little much. I like Morton more for the OC job personally...if Nagy ever gets free that's the #1 but i don't see that.

On 1/24/2017 at 9:40 AM, sourceworx said:

I admittedly don't know much about this guy. However just briefly looking over his history, hiring him may make more sense than people realize. For starters, he played QB for Chan Gailey at Georgia Tech (Bill O'Brien was an assistant coach at the time). So there may actually be some continuity there.  His system could have some similarities to both Gailey's AND O'Brien's. At this point Petty has had enough time working in Gailey's system, while Hackenberg knows O'Brien's. 

Trying to see the bright side here. :unsure:

It turns out I made a wrong assumption. Gailey didn't become Georgia Tech's coach until after Godsey had graduated. 

Sorry. 

6 hours ago, Jetfan13 said:

and we don't have a QB, so can we look forward to the same results? Thank God it doesn't matter anymore.

Sorry, where an offense ranks, an offense without benefit of offensive talent, can be totally meaningless.  You judge an OC by other ways, not just where the offense ranked with a team the year before.  Takes a little more work and smarts, but thats the way it is.  Look at Nunn.  With the Giants and a talented group on DL he was all world.  With the Browns, not so much.  

• 3 weeks later...
George Godsey - C -  Lions

Lions hired former Texans OC George Godsey as defensive assistant/special projects.

The offensive coordinator in Houston the last two seasons, Godsey was reportedly in the running for the Jets' OC job, but that position went to John Morton. Godsey has never coached on the defensive side, but he does have a history with Lions GM Bob Quinn from their time together in New England. Godsey will likely spend a season in the shadows before looking for another coordinator job next January.

Feb 21 - 10:59 AM

1 hour ago, Gas2No99 said:
George Godsey - C -  Lions

Lions hired former Texans OC George Godsey as defensive assistant/special projects.

The offensive coordinator in Houston the last two seasons, Godsey was reportedly in the running for the Jets' OC job, but that position went to John Morton. Godsey has never coached on the defensive side, but he does have a history with Lions GM Bob Quinn from their time together in New England. Godsey will likely spend a season in the shadows before looking for another coordinator job next January.

Feb 21 - 10:59 AM

Hmm...

Did we ever hire a QB coach?

Archived