2017 draft qb ranked

thehammer

do this as a hobby...over the years pretty accurate had Carr a top 10 prospect  Manziel and 2nd rd type

avg number drafted 12 last 5 years.  5 in top 100.  Avg 1 maybe 2 starters a year.   weak class in 2017

when evaluating I start with swag..all top qb's have a narcissist type confidence.  They are the ones who succeed in the 4th quarter.  In fact out of 16 Meyer Briggs personality types many of the Hall of Fame qb's have the exact same personality type...Forget that "face of the franchise" bs...you want a rebel, nerves of steel guy.    The QB who is willing to call his own plays and lead in the 4th quarter. 
2nd touch/vision. Can they throw to their te's, can they loft a ball over a lb and in front of a safety and most importantly can they find a te/wr in the back of the end zone in the red zone..either they havevision or they don't. 3rd size/arm decent height/weight to survive and and at least an average NFL arm.  Lot of stars in spread offenses lack the arm strength to hit wr's on deep outs...check out Goff's success rate on deep outs and corner rts
pocket presence/courage  feet inside the pocket and courage to take a hit to make a play.   ability to throw accurately on the move and using different throwing angles.    Can't count on a clean pocket.  All college qb's should complete 60% of their passes but how well they can throw into tight windows matters more..and no happy feet. 

post my rankings on nfldraftresearch.com..like I said my rankings are based more on character/personality then any other site

1. Desaun Watson Clemson 6'2 215 Zak Prescott type QB  a winner graduated college in 3 years quick release..fits the new era of mobile qb's 1st

2. Pat Mahomes  Texas Tech 6'2 229 true gunslinger..throws the from all angles, will run slide or take a hit  young Brett Favre type qb, true gunslinger dad played 11 years in the MLB  all academic love his feet/coordination..  has he right Meyers Briggs personality type to succeed 1st

3.Mitch Trubisky North Carolina 6'3 220 junior very few starts, raw, very athletic, mobile qb with solid arm strength and quick release to be a day 1 starter.  solid character scores...normally a mid/late 1 but in a weak QB draft might go very early mid/late 1st

4. Brad Kaaya Miami tall reminds of Goff  same build quick release better football personality/less skill 2nd

5.Nathan Peterman Pittsburgh 6'2 225  3X Academic Honor Roll looks like a NFL qb big frame accurate passer plays in a pro set physically reminds me of Kurt Warner  both physically and personality..very strong christian  really notice his passes in tight windows 2nd/3rd

6. DeShone Kizer Notre Dame soph 6'4 230 good runner below avg accuracy with NFL arm  has the tools and passes the eyeball test likely over drafted 2nd/3rd

7. Seth Russell Baylor 6'3 220 broke ankle in Nov 16 hurt neck in  7th game in 2015 Senior Bowl nfl arm/accuracy solid body good runner 1240 yards in his career, graduated in May 2016 but with serious lnjury history  likely #2/3 draft pick if he was healthy solid character leader type of player has his pilot license  3rd/4th

8. Davis Webb Cal 6'3 227 4,295 yards with a 37/12 TD/INT ratio in 12 games this season better bigger/stronger then Goff with similar arm strength  but slower release Senior Bowl Texas Tech has thrown for 9852 yards in his career very nice touch on rb screens.  reminds  me of Sean  Mannion   4th

Jerod Evans Virginia Tech 6'2 238 best runner in the draft strong arm and touch but sociology major, jc transfer, junior and plays in a spread...adds up to a long time to learn a NFL playbook..  too talented to hide on ps and maybe won't be a #2 for awhile..team has to be willing to carry 3 qb's on 53 if they draft him similar to former Virginia Tech  qb Tyrod Taylor

9. C.J. Beathard Iowa 6'2 1/2 215 lacks elite arm/size but a Zak Prescott winner type of qb more accurate passer then Prescott was in college great later rd pick at qb  senior Bowl 5th/6th

10 Josh Dobbs  Tennessee 6'2 1/2 210 2nd SEC named 3rd smartest college player in 2015.  Senior Bowl, genius, quick release, strong arm, scrambles, good runner, strong enough to run through arm tackles with only avg accuracy in mid/long passes  as a spread qb might be a #2 qb in the NFL 6th/udfa

11..Chad Kelly Mississippi  6'2 224 athletic avg accuracy/arm strength  backup type   Named to SEC Academic Honor Roll in 2015-16 ... Made Dean’s Honor Roll for Spring 2015 ... Has a 3.02 GPA after spring 2016 semester has a solid chance to make a team as their 3rd qb or ps 6th/udfa

12.Sefo Liufau Colorado 6'3 230 econ major very bright Senior Bowl 4X starter Freshman All American 8932  career passing 761 rushing  udfa

13. Antonio Pipkin Tiffin 6'2 210 Senior bowl   2016 GLIAC PLAYER OF THE YEAR  2,534 passing 64.9 completion percentage while also rushing for 757 yards (68.8 yards per game). Pipkin is 3rd qb l in Division II history to gain 2,000 yards rushing and 10,000 yards passing in a career.. 4x four-time All-GLIAC honoree  better runner then passer has NFL arm but lacks accuracy 7th/udfa

If we are taking a QB this year the only 2 I want are the 1&2 0n this list. Watson and Mahomes II...

Stay away from trubisky and his behind the receiver throws and throws that wide open wr's have to stop and come back to the ball, downfield passes never lead.  Pass on Mitch 

4 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

So . . .. what was your write-up/opinion on Hackenberg for last year? :D

very nice kid but thought he was awful as a prospect...lacked the skills or the personality to succeed..said Prescott was a winner foxhole type type player

3 hours ago, Lray said:

Nice post. Do you evaluate NFL readiness? That's my biggest drawback on Deshaun and my biggest pro on Kizer. Just based on the kind of throws and reads/decisions they're asked to make.

pff said impossible to evaluate any qb's  prospects ability to do post snaps reads and all qb 's have to be good at it if they want to succeed in the NFL..  they just don't do it in college. 

watching P Manning in Tenneesee he was already looking at the defense when he walked to the line of scrimmage...ditto Rodgers    spreads qb(most college qb's) just walk up and throw.

I just look at how the prospects handle chaos in the pocket, their ability to improvise,  their college majors, their interviews,.being an introvert vs extrovert for clues. I just like how Watson looks as a qb..how he handles himself in interviews and on the field ..all very subjective

3 minutes ago, thehammer said:

pff said impossible to evaluate any qb's  prospects ability to do post snaps reads and all qb 's have to be good at it if they want to succeed in the NFL..  they just don't do it in college. 

watching P Manning in Tenneesee he was already looking at the defense when he walked to the line of scrimmage...ditto Rodgers    spreads qb(most college qb's) just walk up and throw.

I just look at how the prospects handle chaos in the pocket, their ability to improvise,  their college majors, their interviews for clues.being an introvert vs extrovert for cluesjust like how Watson looks as a qb..how he handles himself in interviews and on the field ..all very subjective

But what about decision making and how this is affected by staring down receivers?

I understand what you mean but I want an arrogant qb...67% career completion and he attacks down the field..will throw in double coverage but love the quality of his throws...nice ball placement...to a degree. Iwant interceptions vs making safe throws..

Anson Dorance won multiple national championships in women's soccer  and he said he only recruited ball hogs..hated passers & only /wanted kids with big egos..figured he would teach them to pass in college.  Some things a good OC can clean up some they can never teach.. .what I see in Watson is a possible star with some things any good OC can clean up  

5 hours ago, thehammer said:

Ditto C-Hack 

Jets will pass on drafting a QB early. 

16 hours ago, PepPep said:

Ditto C-Hack 

Jets will pass on drafting a QB early. 

And they'll regret that. 

7 hours ago, LamarJackson2017 said:

I would hold off on a QB until next season but if i had to take a QB the only one in this draft that interests me at all is Watson.

Watson is the QB I would want the least. But I still think he'd be better than Hack. Or your posting namesake. 

4 hours ago, cant wait said:

Interesting your report has Kelly with an average arm, everything I've seen says he's got a cannon and compares with jay cutler. Interesting take on the "arrogant" personality type, I generally feel that way about WRs too

Agreed. It can be a less damaging trait with WRs too.

On January 17, 2017 at 2:59 AM, Lray said:

Nice post. Do you evaluate NFL readiness? That's my biggest drawback on Deshaun and my biggest pro on Kizer. Just based on the kind of throws and reads/decisions they're asked to make.

Not a fan of Kizer but he would be my choice among these qb's

Great analysis.  Here is your list as compared to NFL.com's grades and NFL comparison.  The one that stood out to me was Nathan Peterman's comparison to Derek Carr.

Name Grade NFL Comparison
Deshaun Watson 6.39 Marcus Mariota
Patrick Mahomes N/A N/A
Mitch Tribusky 6.86 Matthew Stafford
Brad Kaaya 5.74 Cody Kessler
Nathan Peterman N/A Derek Carr
Deshone Kizer 5.88 Steve McNair
Seth Russell N/A N/A
Davis Webb 5.3 Brock Osweiller
Jerod Evans N/A N/A
C.J. Beathard 5.28 Tom Savage
Joshua Dobbs 5.06 N/A
Chad Kelly 5.5 Andy Dalton
Sefo Liufau Not Listed Not Listed
Antonio Pipkin 4.9 N/A

On 1/21/2017 at 11:09 PM, C Mart said:

Where do you get the character/personality info? 

start with college bio..they list major, leadership and academic awards...also awards in high school

they just do a interviiew search..both online and video..want to get a feel for these kids and finally watch them away from the ball and on the sidelines...easy to spot which ones enjoy football...finally always hope to get other players/coaches comments about a player

charcater/drive & intelligence is just so important for their future success

For those who care, apparently Trubisky is going to be listed as 6'1" at the combine, instead of the 6'2-6'3 UNC listed him as. Which may see him drop down a bit.

I personally wouldn't care about the small height difference if it involved a QB I wanted. But I don't think I want to waste a first on Trubisky

On February 1, 2017 at 10:01 AM, Adoni Beast said:

For those who care, apparently Trubisky is going to be listed as 6'1" at the combine, instead of the 6'2-6'3 UNC listed him as. Which may see him drop down a bit.

I personally wouldn't care about the small height difference if it involved a QB I wanted. But I don't think I want to waste a first on Trubisky

Teams use so much shotgun and 5 and 7 step drop height isn't that important anymore 

though height helps Brady

On January 24, 2017 at 5:02 PM, thehammer said:

start with college bio..they list major, leadership and academic awards...also awards in high school

they just do a interviiew search..both online and video..want to get a feel for these kids and finally watch them away from the ball and on the sidelines...easy to spot which ones enjoy football...finally always hope to get other players/coaches comments about a player

I remember watching an interview of Ryan Leaf in 1998 and being like "wow, this guy is a sh-thead"

I got the same vibe from Paxton Lynch last year 

On 1/24/2017 at 6:02 PM, thehammer said:

Just a guess, but this probably a big reason why Macc took Hack in 2nd rd.

4 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

Good point but gms and scouts are married to the "measurables" and it will effect their decision.

You can't put too much stock into interviews.  Brandon Weeden interviewed well and he was a horrible nfl qb

Wilson a lot of people felt would have been the number 1 pick overall if he was 6'2

Archived