2017 JETS OL Looks Solid

kevinc855

So heading into the offseason, I heard a lot of yelling about addressing the OLINE and I agreed however as the month of December proved and Winters re-signing we are in a lot better shape on the O Line then initially thought. Lets take a look...

LG - James Carpenter (only 27 former first round pick will be with us the next couple years)

RG - Just re-signed Winters who before injury was rumored to be the hottest G FA on the market.

C - Big question here? Both good outcomes. We keep Mangold or let him go, it seems Wesley Johnson has stepped in and proved he can be a starting Center in the NFL for a a lot cheaper.

LT - Our biggest question. I expect to address this in the draft (guessing 2nd or 3rd round) Would like to see it happen in 2nd round.

RT- BRANDON SHELL is going to be GOOD. Prob was one of the brightest spots in our draft class in the 5th round. He proved himself and should start in 2017 (and young too!)

Bottom line, a Carpenter, Winters, Johnson, 2nd round Rookie and Shell could make a solid offensive line for 17.

2 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

LOL, you probably love Todd Bowles and think he is our answer as the HC right?

I don't believe in firing coaches after 2 seasons with a 15-16 record. He deserves a 3rd year with Mac to build something, I like to think long term not short term like some fat jet fan sitting in 341 with ketchup on his shirt.

Just now, kevinc855 said:

I don't believe in firing coaches after 2 seasons with a 15-16 record. He deserves a 3rd year with Mac to build something, I like to think long term not short term like some fat jet fan sitting in 341 with ketchup on his shirt.

Yeah I thought so. You obviously know way more about the Jets and the NFL than I could ever possibly know so I will bow out of this conversation now.

Just now, ASH1962 said:

Yeah I thought so. You obviously know way more about the Jets and the NFL than I could ever possibly know so I will bow out of this conversation now.

by reading your semi incoherent knee jerk reaction posts I venture to say that's a true statement.

Just now, southparkcpa said:

I just took a crap that may be more solid than the 2017 NY Jets. 

That won't be because our O line isn't good enough, it's because we have no QB. You put Aaron rodgers on this team and they are a title contender (and the same could be said about 25 other teams in the NFL if they acquired Rodgers). In the end, this roster could be a D or an A-, it won't matter until we find a franchise QB. It doesn't need to be Aaron Rodgers level, but we need at least a Elli Manning/Flacco type QB. 

31 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

So heading into the offseason, I heard a lot of yelling about addressing the OLINE and I agreed however as the month of December proved and Winters re-signing we are in a lot better shape on the O Line then initially thought. Lets take a look...

LG - James Carpenter (only 27 former first round pick will be with us the next couple years)

RG - Just re-signed Winters who before injury was rumored to be the hottest G FA on the market.

C - Big question here? Both good outcomes. We keep Mangold or let him go, it seems Wesley Johnson has stepped in and proved he can be a starting Center in the NFL for a a lot cheaper.

LT - Our biggest question. I expect to address this in the draft (guessing 2nd or 3rd round) Would like to see it happen in 2nd round.

RT- BRANDON SHELL is going to be GOOD. Prob was one of the brightest spots in our draft class in the 5th round. He proved himself and should start in 2017 (and young too!)

Bottom line, a Carpenter, Winters, Johnson, 2nd round Rookie and Shell could make a solid offensive line for 17.

Definitely an important building block.  However, I think C and LT (if we have a righty QB, that is) are the 2 most important positions on the OL.  I'm not sure if WJ can replace Mangold (who is a ring of honor type player imo) so easily.  Still it's good to have the other 3 spots (hopefully) solidified.  Usually you can get OL later in the draft though probably not as easily at the premium positions.

38 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

true enough.  one of the issues this past season is the oline was racked with injuries.  but really, having two gaping holes left to fill shouldn't give anyone warm and fuzzies going into next season.  they fill mangold's spot with johnson or even mangold but that still leaves Lt.

12 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

That won't be because our O line isn't good enough, it's because we have no QB. You put Aaron rodgers on this team and they are a title contender (and the same could be said about 25 other teams in the NFL if they acquired Rodgers). In the end, this roster could be a D or an A-, it won't matter until we find a franchise QB. It doesn't need to be Aaron Rodgers level, but we need at least a Elli Manning/Flacco type QB. 

That's a lot of analysis on my crap. ?

While I like both Guards I'm not at all sold on either Shell or Johnson.  Let alone a 2nd or 3rd round rookie LT starting.

This line could very well be awful next year.  

What your saying is a line with 4 of the 5 we had last year plus a 2nd or 3rd round rookie LT - that was absolutely horrid at protecting the QB is going to become Solid.

While they may very well be good, IMO, there's more to be concerned about than positive about.

8 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

While I like both Guards I'm not at all sold on either Shell or Johnson.  Let alone a 2nd or 3rd round rookie LT starting.

This line could very well be awful next year.  

What your saying is a line with 4 of the 5 we had last year plus a 2nd or 3rd round rookie LT - that was absolutely horrid at protecting the QB is going to become Solid.

While they may very well be good, IMO, there's more to be concerned about than positive about.

Not sold on Shell at all. Is he consistent from week 1 to week 17? Chances are he probably won't be. I'm not going to say he won't for sure, but let's be realistic here. Now can he build off next year and continue to show promise such as Winters? That's realistic enough to say. Johnson will not be solid enough from an independent perspective to call our starting C. Sorry. I don't see it like some guys do. You can show me numbers all day but the fact remains limited snaps will never tell the whole story.

1 minute ago, Happy Clouds said:

Is there any possibility of bringing back Clady at a drastically reduced salary? Would reduce the need to plug in a draft choice at the start of the season, if they felt he wasn't ready yet.

Will anyone that hasn't spent some invested time with us want to be back at all after last year? I dunno. I would rather let him go and collect some $$ on his way out the door tho.

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

Not sold on Shell at all. Is he consistent from week 1 to week 17? Chances are he probably won't be. I'm not going to say he won't for sure, but let's be realistic here. Now can he build off next year and continue to show promise such as Winters? That's realistic enough to say. Johnson will not be solid enough from an independent perspective to call out starting C. Sorry. I don't see it like you guys do. You can show me numbers all day. 

According to Gaily Shell was getting a lot of help.  It'll be interesting to see how he does when he's asked to block without help an entire game.  

This team should sign the best FA Tackle they can afford and draft OL early and often...

When you don't have a QB you keep drafting OL until you find a QB - you can compete with a great OL and the rookie QB's that you draft will have a better chance of success.  

Pretty simple formula as far as i'm concerned.  

1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

if you're as good at judging offensive line talent as you are at not using commas then SUPERBOWL!

Of course, I could be mistaken and you might mean that you do think longterm just like that fat jet fan sitting in 341 with ketchup on his shirt.

2 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I liked your posts until I read that line. Come on man. Really?This team would not be a title contender as currently assembled with Superman as the QB. Rodgers is great but I could see him on IR after week two with that O-line you think will be good as soon as next season. The o-line need's to be fixed. It takes time to build one and with all the holes on this one it won't be as easy as you make it out to be. With a new OC coming in who knows who they will keep or sign for that matter until they actually hire a guy. I think they will go after some vets in FA and draft guys starting in round #3. I think they go skill positions with the 1st two picks if they don't trade down that is. Be it QB, RB, or WR I think that's the way they go.

2 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

I have ketchup on my shirt? You are pretty condescending though. Here's a word to look up: Humility.

1 hour ago, JetFaninMI said:

I liked your posts until I read that line. Come on man. Really?This team would not be a title contender as currently assembled with Superman as the QB. Rodgers is great but I could see him on IR after week two with that O-line you think will be good as soon as next season. The o-line need's to be fixed. It takes time to build one and with all the holes on this one it won't be as easy as you make it out to be. With a new OC coming in who knows who they will keep or sign for that matter until they actually hire a guy. I think they will go after some vets in FA and draft guys starting in round #3. I think they go skill positions with the 1st two picks if they don't trade down that is. Be it QB, RB, or WR I think that's the way they go.

You vastly overestimate the talent in GB. Take off Rodgers and the team is a 5 win team at best. They were 4-6 before Rodgers decided turn on his God mode.

7 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

I think Mangold is the easiest cut of all this year unless he takes a drastic reduction in salary, barely noticed a drop off with Johnson in there and I thought Dakota Dozier was outstanding(in tandem with Shell) against Buffalo, if Dozier can handle snapping duties(and maybe more importantly the line calls)then there's a very decent competition there.

Really excited by Brandon Shell and both Carp and Winters make for an above average OG tandem, it's all about finding an upper echelon LT as you say but with other priorities in the draft and no obvious FA solution that won't be straightforward

3 hours ago, redlichtie said:

I think Mangold is the easiest cut of all this year unless he takes a drastic reduction in salary, barely noticed a drop off with Johnson in there and I thought Dakota Dozier was outstanding(in tandem with Shell) against Buffalo, if Dozier can handle snapping duties(and maybe more importantly the line calls)then there's a very decent competition there.

Really excited by Brandon Shell and both Carp and Winters make for an above average OG tandem, it's all about finding an upper echelon LT as you say but with other priorities in the draft and no obvious FA solution that won't be straightforward

Just because you didn't notice a drop off between Johnson and Mangold doesn't make it true. There was a significant drop off. Johnson is solid depth but he's not starting material. He mostly looked overwhelmed. 

I'd say as always proof is in the putting. This line all year was not the problem everyone was saying. When we committed to the run with either Forte or Powell we did well. Problem was this was only early in the season and then late in the season. Gailey along with Fitz too for the whole middle of the season went to too much passing and not much running. That is on them. Next part pass protecting. Not too many penalties or sacks given up. They gave the necessary pass protection but the QBs made the mistakes for each as follows, which again is not an OLine problem:

1) Fitz never got sacked much but was an INT machine due to a weak arm and locking in mainly on Marshall.

2) Geno mainly holding the ball too long and also making bad decisions leading to INTs. Again not the OL at fault there.

3) Petty, again similiar to Geno with holding the ball too long perhaps due to inexperience, but as we know also due to not reading past the first progression. OL not at fault.

I watched every minute of every game and above is the way I saw it. Are they the Dallas OL, no, but they were pretty good with even all the injuries they went through and as stated with what they have and perhaps at least a high draft pick at LT they will be pretty good. I would also spend another OL pick in this draft perhaps on Center if we don't keep Mangold as we should have Wesley with another guy behind him or even to push him for a starting job. With solid OG starters and Dakota and Watt as OG backups we should be fine there.

18 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

wow, optimism, what a refreshing change.  Am I in the right place?

Archived