Cimini: Jets expected to release Brandon Marshall

Mike135

ESPN Jets reporter Rich Cimini expects the team to release Brandon Marshall this offseason.
Marshall is entering the final year of his contract and is coming off arguably the worst season of his career. He had a 10-year-low 59 catches for 788 yards, which marked just the second time since 2006 that Marshall was held under 1,000 yards. He also found the end zone just three times after scoring a combined 45 touchdowns the previous four years. Everything can't be blamed on Marshall, however, as the quarterback play was truly atrocious. But Marshall turns 33 in March and is due a non-guaranteed $7.5 million. The Jets are going nowhere fast. Jan 17 - 8:18 PM
Source: ESPN.com

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since Marshall has said he would take a pay cut to stay I could see them releasing him and him re-signing for less. It all depends on what they do with QB situation. If they sign a veteran they will keep Marshall IMO. They will need a veteran WR to try and contend. I said try.

I loved him here his first year, but with how abysmal we've become it's probably for the best. Let the young guys step up. I wouldn't mind him for around the vet minimum, but I highly doubt he'd take that. We probably ain't going anywhere next season, and he doesn't do much for the development of our young guys.

1 minute ago, BigRy56 said:

Wow. Mac taking no prisoners. Maybe Marshal WAS a problem in the locker room?

I don't think he necessarily was. I think it's purely a business decision. He's older, seemed to struggle with some light injuries, and we are not a win now team. And with the emergence of Enunwa and Anderson, our WR core without him doesn't look as bad as it's been in the past several years--not to mention Decker, if he can stay healthy.

7.5 doesn't seem like a lot for a guy with Marshall's ability.  

If they're really letting him go and not just trying to get Marshall to take a little less, they could be in full rebuild.  Basically admitting the QBs here now are a waste and they're going for a QB early in the 2018 draft.

Otherwise it doesn't make sense to me.  Any young QB (or any QB in general) would kill to throw to BM.  Especially in the end zone.  

Not necessarily a cut he had to make but this makes me wonder if we're going to be big players for Trumaine Johnson and Stephon Gilmore this offseason. Also speaks to the confidence in Enunwa and Anderson at wide out. Marshall seemed like a cancer in the locker room and gave up half way through the year another veteran on the decline quick. I'm not mad about it. Macs cleaning house  

33 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Wow. Mac taking no prisoners. Maybe Marshal WAS a problem in the locker room?

Safe to assume. JMO other players got sick of his daily press conference/sermons, his Inside the NFL gig, his Fitz bromance etc...

58 minutes ago, Mike135 said:
ESPN Jets reporter Rich Cimini expects the team to release Brandon Marshall this offseason.
Marshall is entering the final year of his contract and is coming off arguably the worst season of his career. He had a 10-year-low 59 catches for 788 yards, which marked just the second time since 2006 that Marshall was held under 1,000 yards. He also found the end zone just three times after scoring a combined 45 touchdowns the previous four years. Everything can't be blamed on Marshall, however, as the quarterback play was truly atrocious. But Marshall turns 33 in March and is due a non-guaranteed $7.5 million. The Jets are going nowhere fast. Jan 17 - 8:18 PM
Source: ESPN.com

If true we can forget Mac is considering the rivers or romo option.. Mac is already looking to 18. I like it..

Just now, ASH1962 said:

No shot he gets past Tn at 5

Idk man their secondary could use the help and there are some elite level corners and safeties in this draft. We could use those same players too though lol this draft will be interesting

Pure math.  Cimini is speculating but he's right.

Marshall's age and zero dead money and the fact he's only signed for one more year on a team with a stable of young cheap wideouts playing for a team going nowhere in 2017 makes this almost a no brainer.

However- $7.5 mill one year deal seems a reasonable amount for a wideout with B. Marsh's credentials- perhaps he has late round trade value for a contender. 

There is a reason we got him for a 5th round pick. Now he's a couple of years older and seemingly more interested in his TV gig. 

He can still play but he is mentally unstable and a locker room headache when things go south. Not worth the 7 million. I'd rather use that money towards a left tackle.

Wr happens to be one of the positions we are stacked with talent. Decker returning, enunwa emerging, Anderson developing and guys like jalin, Peake and Devin with talent. 

If we don't cut Decker we should not cut marshal the two of them feed off each other and compliment each other nicely. If we are going to develop a qb next season it would be good for him to have solid targets and not just our young kids who did better than expected last year

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Okay so this Cimini nugget comes from this article:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page/32for32x171118/predicting-biggest-offseason-change-all-32-teams

In said article each ESPN team coverage guy predicts the biggest change coming for their respective team. It's a prediction, not inside information. Like the Cowboys realeasing Romo or the Bills releasing Taylor. Carry on. Nothing to see here. 

Archived