Cimini: Jets expected to release Brandon Marshall

Mike135

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Sarge4Tide said:

I take everything dumbass Cimini writes with a huge grain of salt

Yeah, this.  It's even stated that this isn't some sort of source of information, but rather his own personal prediction.  It could not possibly mean less.  While I think it's certainly a possibility, Cimini's report doesn't change anything.

Given that the salary is not at all guaranteed, the Jets also have no rush to make this move, especially before knowing about Decker's health status, or seeing if they can get anything in return for him.  Short of them needing to clear up even more cap room than the obvious moves they'll be making, or the team desperately wanting to make a statement with Marshall, there's no incentive for them to move quickly.

Hope everyone cheering this remembers their position when we suck fat ballsack at WR in 2017.  :lol:

Decker can't carry as a #1 (and is fragile frankly, there I said it).  Enunwa, ok.  After that, unproven kids who get far too much hype gere for what they actually did thus far.

First time one of you posts about "needs weaponz" I swear, seriously, just don't.

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Hope everyone cheering this remembers their position when we suck fat ballsack at WR in 2017.  :lol:

Decker can't carry as a #1 (and is fragile frankly, there I said it).  Enunwa, ok.  After that, unproven kids who get far too much hype gere for what they actually did thus far.

First time one of you posts about "needs weaponz" I swear, seriously, just don't.

Wheh dem hoez at?

3 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

Terrible job by the OP.   Nothing in this artical says the writer has any info, only his thoughts.   No need to make it seem other wise.  This is all crap.  

Da fuq?

It's copy and pasted from Rotoworld.  And the title specifies "Cimini", which obviously means "read with caution".

If you need to be spoon fed your info and told how to interpret it, look elsewhere.

Just now, Mike135 said:

Da fuq?

It's copy and pasted from Rotoworld.  And the title specifies "Cimini", which obviously means "read with caution".

If you need to be spoon fed your info and told how to interpret it, look elsewhere.

How about instead of trying to be first you try to be right?  The tittle of this thread makes it seem like there is info that says the Jets are going to release Marshal and that could not be further from the truth. 

2 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

How about instead of trying to be first you try to be right?  The tittle of this thread makes it seem like there is info that says the Jets are going to release Marshal and that could not be further from the truth. 

First word of thread title:  "Cimini".  Nuff said (for those with common sense).

1 hour ago, Sarge4Tide said:

I take everything dumbass Cimini writes with a huge grain of salt

Thank you..

Cimini comes out here for his leads.. Lets wait to see what the Jets actually do....

Note the qualifying foolish language of Cimini "expects" based on his opinion that is all.

2 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

I don't think he necessarily was. I think it's purely a business decision. He's older, seemed to struggle with some light injuries, and we are not a win now team. And with the emergence of Enunwa and Anderson, our WR core without him doesn't look as bad as it's been in the past several years--not to mention Decker, if he can stay healthy.

Marshall struggled because our quarterbacks were all HORRIBLE

I hope he signs with the pats or Dolphins and torches us. Really

So far this offseason looks hideous:

--keeping Bowels

--firing Gailey, the one guy on the CS with a clue

--cutting Marshall

At least on the brightside Mac and Bowels are both gone after next season and we will have the #1 pick and Darnold

7 hours ago, Mike135 said:
ESPN Jets reporter Rich Cimini expects the team to release Brandon Marshall this offseason.
Marshall is entering the final year of his contract and is coming off arguably the worst season of his career. He had a 10-year-low 59 catches for 788 yards, which marked just the second time since 2006 that Marshall was held under 1,000 yards. He also found the end zone just three times after scoring a combined 45 touchdowns the previous four years. Everything can't be blamed on Marshall, however, as the quarterback play was truly atrocious. But Marshall turns 33 in March and is due a non-guaranteed $7.5 million. The Jets are going nowhere fast. Jan 17 - 8:18 PM
Source: ESPN.com

This will change some things. Now what if Clemson WR Mike Williams is staring at the Jets in the 6 spot? We have so many needs it will take 3 offseasons to fix.

9 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

Since Marshall has said he would take a pay cut to stay I could see them releasing him and him re-signing for less. It all depends on what they do with QB situation. If they sign a veteran they will keep Marshall IMO. They will need a veteran WR to try and contend. I said try.

Contend?  Playoffs?  Playoffs?

9 hours ago, Mike135 said:

7.5 doesn't seem like a lot for a guy with Marshall's ability.  

If they're really letting him go and not just trying to get Marshall to take a little less, they could be in full rebuild.  Basically admitting the QBs here now are a waste and they're going for a QB early in the 2018 draft.

Otherwise it doesn't make sense to me.  Any young QB (or any QB in general) would kill to throw to BM.  Especially in the end zone.  

agree that 7.5 isn't that high but if they can re-sign him at 2.5 to 3 m less then they can use that money elsewhere. i also agree that he's still a very good receiver and bridges the gap between the guys like himself and decker and enunwa, anderson, peake and smith.

10 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Hope this means we're about to embark on a true rebuild. Marshall should be the first of many to come. Mangold and Revis should be the next two.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

We should respect Marshall for giving it his all for a clown shoes organization, but his being a pain in the ass was as highly predictable as Fitzpatrick's reversion to trash.

Id also imagine that 9/10ths of the reason for cutting him is because they don't want to subject milky snowflake Hackenberg to an angry Marshall next year. 

We should respect Marshall for giving it his all for a clown shoes organization, but his being a pain in the ass was as highly predictable as Fitzpatrick's reversion to trash.
Id also imagine that 9/10ths of the reason for cutting him is because they don't want to subject milky snowflake Hackenberg to an angry Marshall next year. 

snowflake ?

Marshall to this day is still the only legit #1 wr on this team and we want to run him out of town. Is everyone really ok going into next year with Decker healthy for 4 games, Enunwa as the #1 and Anderson as the #2. It will be like revisiting 2013, 2014 and 2015 all over again. 

3 hours ago, Harlemnite1 said:

This will change some things. Now what if Clemson WR Mike Williams is staring at the Jets in the 6 spot? We have so many needs it will take 3 offseasons to fix.

If he's there and you have him as your best player on your board, you take him anyway, Marshall or not.

Decker could miss more time next year with his current injuries, Marshall is on the downside of his career, we have some nice depth behind these guys but the sudden move up 2 spots in the depth chart for everyone else is a big ask. Enunwa and Anderson as our 1/2, with Peake / Smith / J Marshall behind them is banking on them all working out / staying healthy. Given what we've seen from Smith so far, that's a big assumption; Marshall I'm fairly cool on, he's done OK but nothing that makes me say he's a lock. Peake I like, but more of his appeal is the potential, rather than the production so far.

I'd have no issues if we drafted Williams. It seems every year I'm really hoping we finally draft our own stud WR rather than try to pick up everyone else's cast-offs and misfits.

36 minutes ago, jdeacon said:

Marshall to this day is still the only legit #1 wr on this team and we want to run him out of town. Is everyone really ok going into next year with Decker healthy for 4 games, Enunwa as the #1 and Anderson as the #2. It will be like revisiting 2013, 2014 and 2015 all over again. 

I am ok with it due to the specific circumstances. 2017 will be ugly- having a declining #1 wideout isn't needed. His salary is reasonable but I'd rather use that $7.5 somewhere else and let the young stable of wideouts get his reps and see if they develop chemistry with Hack, our presumed starter at this time.

10 hours ago, The Crusher said:

I'm actually oddly excited about this. 

It's sort of like when the Jets signed Tebow and everyone was happy for @JiF.  Maybe some people knew the move would end up being a poor one (I wasn't one of them), but we support our own here at JN.  We're one big dysfunctional family. 

9 hours ago, Warfish said:

Eh, I think we can be reasonably excited about the uptick in usage out of Robby Anderson.  He may not be anything special, but then again, he impressed last year despite awful QB play and is already one of the fastest WR's in the game.  If we can ever get a QB with downfield accuracy to come in here, he could be deadly. 

Similar things can be said about Devin Smith, though in his case, it's make or break time.  Marshall being gone gives him more reps/snaps. 

We're not contending next year either way, so might as well play the kids and maybe hope this is the year Decker stays healthy.  It'd be nice to get an actual pass-catching TE too at some point now that Gailey is gone. 

4 hours ago, Harlemnite1 said:

We have exactly one young and elite player on this roster (Leonard Williams).  Thus if you have the chance to get a young elite player at 6, you do it, even if it's a position that is more on the "luxury" side right now.  Having lots of needs doesn't mean you draft for need.  Quite the opposite.  You try your best to load the roster with elite young players regardless of position (though I'm willing to make an exception for DT; if a DT is the BPA, trade down please!). 

Combine that with the fact that we've taken defense in the first round for 8 of the last 9 years, and yeah, I'm VERY willing to take someone who can be special on the offensive end.  If that can't be an offensive lineman, grab Williams. 

Archived