Cimini: Jets expected to release Brandon Marshall

Mike135

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Okay so this Cimini nugget comes from this article:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page/32for32x171118/predicting-biggest-offseason-change-all-32-teams

In said article each ESPN team coverage guy predicts the biggest change coming for their respective team. It's a prediction, not inside information. Like the Cowboys realeasing Romo or the Bills releasing Taylor. Carry on. Nothing to see here. 

Sure...but it's still a no brainer for the Jets.  I think it's pretty educated and accurate guess/prediction. 

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Brandon Marshall turns 33 in March.  Just how much will Marshall be able to contribute to a contending Jets team?  What, do people expect he'll play at a high level until he's 36?

I think most jets fans want the team to get better next season.  Cutting our best offensive player so he can go play with Brady next season ain't getting it done 

Oh I forgot we are supposed to wait until the year 2025 to find out if Hackenberg sucks

8 hours ago, thadude said:

I really don't get the Marshall hatred.  He is the only veteran who actually showed up last season.  Yeah he disrupted the locker room because 60% of the roster quit by week 3 when it became obvious Bowles was clueless and Fitz was a clown

Dude, he quit the second his boo sauce was benched.  The effort he gave for Petty was laughable.  He didnt want to be out there and it was clear as day.  Meanwhile, he's yelling at everyone else for effort?  Please.  He devided the locker room, yet again, in week 3 and let it linger all season long only to address it to the media so he could tailor his message to look like the good guy.  He's a terrible leader and one of the worst players at his position in the league.  Top 3 in drops, worst 3 in catch ratio.

There is zero reason to bring him back.  Zero. 

1 hour ago, jdeacon said:

Marshall to this day is still the only legit #1 wr on this team and we want to run him out of town. Is everyone really ok going into next year with Decker healthy for 4 games, Enunwa as the #1 and Anderson as the #2. It will be like revisiting 2013, 2014 and 2015 all over again. 

Yes.  Because there is also a couple of neat options that teams are allowed to use to acquire talent called the draft and free agency.

I think some of our problems last season were off the field and in the locker room. I mean Brandon has a history of alienating teammates he did it in Chicago. That's why they got rid of him and basically gave him away to Mac for almost nothing.So it's up to Bowles and Mac to determine if with Marshall it's another case of addition by subtraction. And on the field he didn't have a good season and was questioned late in the year in terms of whether he tried hard or not in the final few games. Our team had better talent than having a 5-11 record. 

24 minutes ago, David Harris said:

I am ok with it due to the specific circumstances. 2017 will be ugly- having a declining #1 wideout isn't needed. His salary is reasonable but I'd rather use that $7.5 somewhere else and let the young stable of wideouts get his reps and see if they develop chemistry with Hack, our presumed starter at this time.

The NFL is a strange beast were teams who were terrible the year before can become contenders the following year. Who knows what we have in Hack, but if the FO believes he is the future I want to give him the best possible skill position players to throw the ball to, which includes Marshall. Marshall has already come out and said he would restructure, so we save a little money to fill some spots elsewhere ( hopefully continuing to address the o-line) and give whoever is behind center the best possible cast to play with each week.

7 minutes ago, thadude said:

I think most jets fans want the team to get better next season.  Cutting our best offensive player so he can go play with Brady next season ain't getting it done 

Oh I forgot we are supposed to wait until the year 2025 to find out if Hackenberg sucks

Saying Brandon Marshall is the Jets best player = Carmelo Anthony is the best Knicks player.  They're both team destroying turds who actually arent that good even though they are super "talented" and do cool things from time to time.

21 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Eh, I think we can be reasonably excited about the uptick in usage out of Robby Anderson.

I am reasonably excited about Anderson, and Marshall the Younger as well.  Peake too.

Not enough to cut my #1 WR.  Not yet.

If we can ever get a QB with downfield accuracy to come in here, he could be deadly. 

Or he could be Dedric Ward, a similar one-trick-pony.

Similar things can be said about Devin Smith, though in his case, it's make or break time.

Agreed.

We're not contending next year either way, so might as well play the kids and maybe hope this is the year Decker stays healthy.

Decker won;t stay healthy, he never does.

And if we're going to suck, and we want to play the future, why are we keeping Decker then?  And worse, why would we play a clear-cut #2 WR as a #1?

It'd be nice to get an actual pass-catching TE too at some point now that Gailey is gone. 

Agreed, dear lord agreed.

2 minutes ago, jdeacon said:

The NFL is a strange beast were teams who were terrible the year before can become contenders the following year. Who knows what we have in Hack, but if the FO believes he is the future I want to give him the best possible skill position players to throw the ball to, which includes Marshall. Marshall has already come out and said he would restructure, so we save a little money to fill some spots elsewhere ( hopefully continuing to address the o-line) and give whoever is behind center the best possible cast to play with each week.

It's called damage control, my friend.  Fact.  Brandon Marshall once again divided a locker room.  He has admitted this himself. 

So what does Brandon do?  Be the first to tell his story, the way he wants to on his platform that no other player on the Jets (or the league for that matter) have available.  He then proceeds to continue his damage control by saying, he'd take less money because remember everyone, I'm the good guy!!!  

Why do think he's doing these things?  I'll tell you why - because nobody want the headache and overall poor play that accompanies Brandon Marshall and he knows it better than anyone. 

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

snowflake ?

You know that part in the Gruden interview where Hackenberg gets misty-eyed talking about how Evil James Franklin never fixed his footwork and, if you watched it with the sound off, it's like Hackenberg is describing how he barely survived the Bataan Death March? 

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

Yes.  Because there is also a couple of neat options that teams are allowed to use to acquire talent called the draft and free agency.

Because we have shown such a talent for picking out offensive talent in the draft and developing them into quality starters. What wr in FA would you like to try and bring in that would bring the intangibles of Marshall?

We have Alshon Jeffery which I would be shocked if the bears let leave. If he does he is going to get paid big money, but he is way better then Marshall.

Vincent Jackson is the next on the list. He made a little over 11 mil last year, doubt we would look at him nor would I want us to.

Desean Jackson - A redundancy of skill sets when compared to Anderson

Piere Garcon - Would be surprised if he left Wash, but also on the older side, is he really worth the money to dump marshall and grab?

Kenny Britt - Haven't followed his career much but I still believe Marshall is better than this guy

Anquon Boldin - Love the guy but is ancient

Kamar Aiken - Should be resigned by Bal due to them lacking alot of wr talent.

Brandon Lafell - NE castoff player

Michael Floyd - DUI

That is just naming some of the names who are FA wr's this year. Anyone you want to spend more money on than Marshall this season? 

If they release him... And it still sounds like this is more of a guess than any kind of rumor.... But if they do, I'm probably OK with the Jets not signing or trading for another big name WR for this coming season... Doesn't seem like it would be worth dropping that kind of cash.

8 minutes ago, JiF said:

It's called damage control, my friend.  Fact.  Brandon Marshall once again divided a locker room.  He has admitted this himself. 

So what does Brandon do?  Be the first to tell his story, the way he wants to on his platform that no other player on the Jets (or the league for that matter) have available.  He then proceeds to continue his damage control by saying, he'd take less money because remember everyone, I'm the good guy!!!  

Why do think he's doing these things?  I'll tell you why - because nobody want the headache and overall poor play that accompanies Brandon Marshall and he knows it better than anyone. 

The Jets locker room needs dividing . Get rid of the players who tolerate losing and bring in more players who want to win . That said, it's time for Marshall to go . Along with all the players who he pointed out on his way out the door .  The message should have been received even if the messenger wasn't .  Quincy Enunwa got that part and all the other who did like him I keep, but the guys who sided with Richardson, can't hit the sidewalk fast enough .

11 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Not having  quality QB play and a decent OC hurt Marshall this season. 

He deserves an opportunity to restructure and he should keep his damn mouth shut. 

he made the QB p;lay quality in 2015, this past season he struggled but I'd bring him back for one more year.  

41 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's sort of like when the Jets signed Tebow and everyone was happy for @JiF.  Maybe some people knew the move would end up being a poor one (I wasn't one of them), but we support our own here at JN.  We're one big dysfunctional family. 

Just like Fitz he gave us one very exciting year of football that ended week 16. This year, just like Fitz, he gave us a dismal smack you in the face with a reality limp dick that ended week 3. I hope the two of them ride off together and find happiness. I really do 

I would keep him for $7.5M not like thats a lot of money for a #1 or #2.  Need someone like him to hold other players accountable and he kept it in the lockerroom pretty well.  We dont know what happened but if he ruffled some feathers during a sh*t season i dont view that as being a cancer.  the whole lot of them should have been pissssed...

1 minute ago, jdeacon said:

Because we have shown such a talent for picking out offensive talent in the draft and developing them into quality starters. What wr in FA would you like to try and bring in that would bring the intangibles of Marshall?

We have Alshon Jeffery which I would be shocked if the bears let leave. If he does he is going to get paid big money, but he is way better then Marshall.

Vincent Jackson is the next on the list. He made a little over 11 mil last year, doubt we would look at him nor would I want us to.

Desean Jackson - A redundancy of skill sets when compared to Anderson

Piere Garcon - Would be surprised if he left Wash, but also on the older side, is he really worth the money to dump marshall and grab?

Kenny Britt - Haven't followed his career much but I still believe Marshall is better than this guy

Anquon Boldin - Love the guy but is ancient

Kamar Aiken - Should be resigned by Bal due to them lacking alot of wr talent.

Brandon Lafell - NE castoff player

Michael Floyd - DUI

That is just naming some of the names who are FA wr's this year. Anyone you want to spend more money on than Marshall this season? 

I think you're missing the point.  Marshall isnt good and is a terrible teammate.  He's not the type of guy you want around while you're breaking in a new QB and more than likely a very sh*tty Football team.  He's a ticking time bomb who's already been set off once before.  And again, he was top 3 in drops, bottom 3 in catch ratio.  This idea the Brandon Marshall is good at his job, is a completely false.  He's actually very bad at what he does.  He's paid to catch the ball and he's not good at that.

Just because the Jets havent had success drafting a specific player, doesnt mean you quit trying.  Especially not because of Brandon Marshall.  Do you want the Jets to quit trying to draft QB's?  They havent been very good at that either.

I would literally take every single one of those players you have listed over him.  No doubt.  Why?  Because Brandon Marshall is a terrible teammate, who's not good at his job and isnt going to make this team better.  They just won 5 games with his hand picked veteran QB.  How many do you think they'll win next year?  You think Marshall helps them win more?  Please. 

10 minutes ago, DMan77 said:

If they release him... And it still sounds like this is more of a guess than any kind of rumor.... But if they do, I'm probably OK with the Jets not signing or trading for another big name WR for this coming season... Doesn't seem like it would be worth dropping that kind of cash.

100%.  Decker, Enunwa, Anderson, Peake, Smith, Marshall, ASJ...Powell and Forte out of the backfield or lined up at the LOS...there is enough here to survive without that turd Brandon Marshall destroying the locker room in the midst of a rebuild when the Jets are probably no better than a 4-5 win team with or without that diva. 

And you still have the draft and FA.

I like Marshall a lot but no need for him. We won't be competing next year. Use the 7.5M towards a younger FA at a position of need. Decker isnt a true #1 but we are rebuilding, can't expect to have every position covered in one offseason when we have countless needs.

OK it's not a fair comparison because it's Rodgers, but he just lost his #1 WR as the playoffs started and you'd never know Nelson was gone. Who's been Russell Wilson's "true #1 WR" all this time? Who was Cam's "true #1 WR" en route to the SB? Brady's sans Gronk? First time Brees threw for 5000+ yds he did it without a single 1000-yd receiver (the closest was Lance Moore). 

Here's the reality. The idea of the needing a "true #1 WR" is a football fan myth. The wepponz a great passing team needs are 3-4 reliable WRs/TE, not one great one. Of course it also needs a QB that knows where all these targets are so he can use them. You put that together and you've got a dangerous passing attack without a "true #1 WR" on the roster. It is rare for everybody to be covered. A defense can double (or triple) up one guy; they can't double-up on 4 of them.

A bunch of good WRs, which we theoretically have with or without him, is good enough if Marshall is causing problems in the huddle or the locker room. If they get rid of him but then keep Sheldon to play 3rd wheel again, acting up as we misuse him again in his contract year, then lol at that reason. 

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Here's the reality. The idea of the needing a "true #1 WR" is a football fan myth. The wepponz a great passing team needs are 3-4 reliable WRs/TE, not one great one. Of course it also needs a QB that knows where all these targets are so he can use them.

This team-building idea only works when you have an all-Pro Franchise-level QB.

If you don't...

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

OK it's not a fair comparison because it's Rodgers, but he just lost his #1 WR as the playoffs started and you'd never know Nelson was gone. Who's been Russell Wilson's "true #1 WR" all this time? Who was Cam's "true #1 WR" en route to the SB? Brady's sans Gronk? First time Brees threw for 5000+ yds he did it without a single 1000-yd receiver (the closest was Lance Moore). 

Here's the reality. The idea of the needing a "true #1 WR" is a football fan myth. The wepponz a great passing team needs are 3-4 reliable WRs/TE, not one great one. Of course it also needs a QB that knows where all these targets are so he can use them. You put that together and you've got a dangerous passing attack without a "true #1 WR" on the roster. It is rare for everybody to be covered. A defense can double (or triple) up one guy; they can't double-up on 4 of them.

A bunch of good WRs, which we theoretically have with or without him, is good enough if Marshall is causing problems in the huddle or the locker room. If they get rid of him but then keep Sheldon to play 3rd wheel again, acting up as we misuse him again in his contract year, then lol at that reason. 

Right, right... It comes down to competency, and I also think it comes down to having the right mix... If you have 3-4 reliable guys, you want them to be able to do different things well... You don't want 4 reliable speedsters only for example, or 3 decent slot receivers only. You want a good mix... That's much more powerful than one true #1.

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

We should respect Marshall for giving it his all for a clown shoes organization, but his being a pain in the ass was as highly predictable as Fitzpatrick's reversion to trash.

Id also imagine that 9/10ths of the reason for cutting him is because they don't want to subject milky snowflake Hackenberg to an angry Marshall next year. 

Just how is this guy been a pain in the ass?  Unlike the real loafers and malcontents the worst that came out about him was trying to give the no caring lazy bastards a pep talk at half time of a game,. oh and liking any Qb that becomes the starter.

Maybe something else will come out on him but I haven't head one thing about him during his time here that suggested he was back to being a problem.

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

This team-building idea only works when you have an all-Pro Franchise-level QB.

If you don't...

Well, franchise level yes, but not necessarily all-pro level. Just need one good enough, and we don't & haven't had one. 

But to that basic point, on which I agree with you, I just said as much 5 min ago in a different thread: 

Archived