Cimini: Jets expected to release Brandon Marshall

Mike135

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Warfish said:

And if we're going to suck, and we want to play the future, why are we keeping Decker then?  And worse, why would we play a clear-cut #2 WR as a #1?

Unlike Marshall, Decker isn't an old man yet.  He turns 30 in March.  So he can be useful to us IF we can become a contender in, say, 2018. 

And from a financial perspective, it doesn't make much sense.  He'd cost $3M in dead money to cut now, $1.5M if we wait till after June 1st.  Plus he'd have some trade value, so there'd be no sense in cutting him outright.  Marshall, meanwhile, gives us no dead money if/when we cut him, and carries less trade value than Decker. 

That being said, Decker's contract expires after 2018, so I imagine we'd just let his contract expire then when he's firmly on the wrong side of 30. 

Oh, and Decker (unlike Marshall) is anything but a potential locker room distraction.  His wife, however, is another story. 

11_jessie_james_june.jpg

2_jessie_james_june.jpg

1 hour ago, jdeacon said:

Because we have shown such a talent for picking out offensive talent in the draft and developing them into quality starters. What wr in FA would you like to try and bring in that would bring the intangibles of Marshall?

Charone Peake and Robby Anderson say hello.  They may be nothing special, but for as little draft capital we spent on those 2, they're looking pretty good.  We also have Eric Decker, a WR1(b) when healthy.  Imagine if Devin Smith flashes potential too?  And we add Mike Williams?  That's a very nice group. 

And lol at Marshall's "intangibles".  Can you list those off for me?  Because any "intangibles" he brings to the table are outweighed by his long, storied history of being a cancer at every stop in his career, and there's a reason we got him for a 5th rounder from a team that already had an uncertain future at the WR position.  

1 hour ago, jdeacon said:

The NFL is a strange beast were teams who were terrible the year before can become contenders the following year. Who knows what we have in Hack, but if the FO believes he is the future I want to give him the best possible skill position players to throw the ball to, which includes Marshall. Marshall has already come out and said he would restructure, so we save a little money to fill some spots elsewhere ( hopefully continuing to address the o-line) and give whoever is behind center the best possible cast to play with each week.

That makes sense. Marshall's been great for us and is one of Mac's best moves. His post up style will age better than a speed receiver. If he were to help develop a young QB on the cheap then I could see that.

but freeing up cap space and opportunities for young guys could be good too- plus Marshall is one of the only leaders but can also be a distraction at times. He also seemed to shut himself down in the last 8 games.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Saying Brandon Marshall is the Jets best player = Carmelo Anthony is the best Knicks player.  They're both team destroying turds who actually arent that good even though they are super "talented" and do cool things from time to time.

Such a dumb analogy.

Marshall makes $7.5 million and makes our team better.  Melo is a $20 million cancer

13 minutes ago, David Harris said:

That makes sense. Marshall's been great for us and is one of Mac's best moves. His post up style will age better than a speed receiver. If he were to help develop a young QB on the cheap then I could see that.

but freeing up cap space and opportunities for young guys could be good too- plus Marshall is one of the only leaders but can also be a distraction at times. He also seemed to shut himself down in the last 8 games.

Marshall has the same style of play that Cris Carter used to play deep into his late 30's

This is really looking like a terrible offseason so far if this is true

You don't keep 33 year old wr's around on a rebuilding team that won't win more than 5 games next year regardless. Especially one who u can cut and save 7.5 million. Time to let all the young guys play to see what we have going forward. Marshall won't be on this team next year even if he agrees to a pay cut. 

2 minutes ago, thadude said:

Such a dumb analogy.

Marshall makes $7.5 million and makes our team better.  Melo is a $20 million cancer

Money aside because you cant compare NBA money to NFL, its the exact same thing same scenario.  They're the same dude.  Talented, yet suck at the same time.  And a terrible teammate you cant win with.

It's a brilliant analogy. 

Marshall has the same style of play that Cris Carter used to play deep into his late 30's

This is really looking like a terrible offseason so far if this is true

You want to talk about a terrible analogy?  Holy sh*t man.  This is the worst I've ever seen..  Carter caught everything thrown his way!  Marshall can catch a cold. 

Top 3 in drops, worst 3 catch ratio - what about those facts arent sinking in?  Marshall, is not good at his job. 

wow

12 minutes ago, JiF said:

Money aside because you cant compare NBA money to NFL, its the exact same thing same scenario.  They're the same dude.  Talented, yet suck at the same time.  And a terrible teammate you cant win with.

It's a brilliant analogy. 

Whatever you say

As bad as the Knicks record is at least they play hard.  This jets team quit by week 3 and now you want to punish the one guy who was willing to call out these overpaid p_ssies like Mo and Mevis

And for Marshall to get 800 yards with this clown camp of qb's is borderline remarkable

16 minutes ago, JiF said:

You want to talk about a terrible analogy?  Holy sh*t man.  This is the worst I've ever seen..  Carter caught everything thrown his way!  Marshall can catch a cold. 

Top 3 in drops, worst 3 catch ratio - what about those facts arent sinking in?  Marshall, is not good at his job. 

wow

Marshall is not good at his job?  He'd get offers to sign with 2/3 of the nfl the day he got cut

Michael Crabtree, Demariyus Thomas, Mike Evans, TY Hilton and Odell Beckham Jr. are all top 10 in drops I guess they suck too

wow

The key here is that even before the draft or any free agents, the Jets have 6+ WRs who are far better than what they fielded 3 years ago:

Decker (maybe)

Enunwa

D Smith

Peake

Robbie

J Marshall

I think there are other stashed too.

And there are 2 WRs rated in the top 10 prospects for a team that picks 6th.

WR is perhaps the best position group on this sad team, along with DL.  Keeping Marshall is a waste, particularly if he is a headcase and can't bail out the young QBs by dependably catching the ball.

2 minutes ago, varjet said:

The key here is that even before the draft or any free agents, the Jets have 6+ WRs who are far better than what they fielded 3 years ago:

Decker (maybe)

Enunwa

D Smith

Peake

Robbie

J Marshall

I think there are other stashed too.

And there are 2 WRs rated in the top 10 prospects for a team that picks 6th.

WR is perhaps the best position group on this sad team, along with DL.  Keeping Marshall is a waste, particularly if he is a headcase and can't bail out the young QBs by dependably catching the ball.

Marshall makes all of those guys better because he takes the #1 cover corner

Decker as a #1 WR been there done that it's part of the reason Rex and Idzik got fired

Funny because the people who know everything say the opposite

I don't think that they're thinking logically. Our sole focus should be supporting our QB, which will likely be Petty, Hack, draft pick or unproven vet like Glennon. 

The people that want us to cut Marshall are either butt hurt that he supported Fitz, predicted that Marshall would bust here and want to be correct, or believe that every vet player must be cut so that we can be competitive in five years. 

6 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

I don't think that they're thinking logically. Our sole focus should be supporting our QB, which will likely be Petty, Hack, draft pick or unproven vet like Glennon. 

The people that want us to cut Marshall are either butt hurt that he supported Fitz, predicted that Marshall would bust here and want to be correct, or believe that every vet player must be cut so that we can be competitive in five years. 

I don't know what it is.  It's so mind bogglingly dumb and u know its happening because we just kept  Bowels which was an equally inept move

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Let me guess we will cut Marshall but move Revis to safety and keep Richardson, that sounds about Todd Bowles speed.

Revis at safety is just flat out stupid.  He won't be very good there.  I'd rather they cut him than Marshall.

13 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

No shot he gets past Tn at 5

14 hours ago, SR24 said:

This increases the chance of Mike Williams at #6

You guys are nuts. 

I mean, I like him as a prospect. I think he is the #1 or #2 WR prospect in the draft. But I expect him to run a fairly slow 40, b/c, well, he's not THAT fast, and he will go somewhere in the teens, but def. not in the top 5 and most likely not in the top 10. And the lack of elite speed will not be overlooked b/c of his athleticism and size. He is not a BEAST like Mike Evans, where you just look at the guys size and strength and you say, it doesn't matter if he doesn't have elite speed. 

I mean, if I was a team that really needed a WR, I would seriously consider C.Davis over M.Williams, and he's not the fastest guy either.  

4 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Revis at safety is just flat out stupid.  He won't be very good there.  I'd rather they cut him than Marshall.

Really? I think Revis will make an excellent safety.  OTOH, the money probably doesn't make sense either.  I had figured they planned on rolling him over to take over for Gilchrist, but both their sh*t seasons tanked that idea. I tend to think Revis will have a bounce back year (probably somewhere else) and I think the narrative that he had a bad year in 2015 only started around mid-season when people decided he was done.  

29 minutes ago, thadude said:

Whatever you say

As bad as the Knicks record is at least they play hard.  This jets team quit by week 3 and now you want to punish the one guy who was willing to call out these overpaid p_ssies like Mo and Mevis

And for Marshall to get 800 yards with this clown camp of qb's is borderline remarkable

Playing hard?  Are we talking about the same Melo? lol

Marshall is not good at his job.  In fact, he's one of the worst in the league at his job.  This is factual, verifiable information.  Top 3 in drops, bottom 3 catch ratio/percentage in the league.  

He quit.  And screamed at the team about effort.  Everyone hates him again. This too is fact. 

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Getting thrown to by Peyton Manning gets a lot of guys paid by other teams.  Luckily we never did that.  Errr......sh*t.   Thanks Idzik.

yeah, Peyton made every WR he ever played w/.  Guys like wayne, garcon, harrison, etc... were all products of peyton the great.

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Getting thrown to by Peyton Manning gets a lot of guys paid by other teams.  Luckily we never did that.  Errr......sh*t.   Thanks Idzik.

Decker was a good pick up though, I did not find him or Marshall to be bad pick ups at all quite the contrary.

If we dump Marshall I fear we are going back to the days of no weaponzzzzz as even though our young guys have showed promise there is not guarantee they take the next step.

27 minutes ago, JiF said:

Marshall is not good at his job.  In fact, he's one of the worst in the league at his job.  This is factual, verifiable information.  Top 3 in drops, bottom 3 catch ratio/percentage in the league.  

He quit.  And screamed at the team about effort.  Everyone hates him again. This too is fact. 

Team doesn't hate Marshall.  Stop telling us nonsense like this is fact.  

29 minutes ago, JiF said:

"This too is fact"   Hahahahahaha! 

None of  what I bolded from your post is a "fact".  Those are your opinions. Not facts at all.  Since when do you post like an idiot?  Very unlike you.

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Team doesn't hate Marshall.  Stop telling us nonsense like this is fact.  

really!  That had to be one of the worst posts in a very long time.  Claiming his slanted opinions are "facts".  Wow.

34 minutes ago, JiF said:

Because he's terrible at Football. 

Julius Thomas is NOT terrible  He was really good in Denver and Jacksonville was clueless on how to use him, plus he was hindered by a variety of injuries this past season.  Your post displays massive ignorance on Thomas.  He would be the best TE we've had in a very long time.

Archived