Cimini: Jets expected to release Brandon Marshall

Mike135

5 minutes ago, thadude said:

To call our qb play this year atrocious would be polite

I agree.  I am not saying that Marshall did not drop balls this year because he did, but the bold I quoted from the story is accurate..... After reading your post again I think you agree with me.  Sorry Bro...

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, thadude said:

Watch the tape on Petty.  He makes Geno Smith look accurate

The only throw Petyy can make with any accuracy is when he throws deep to a receiver running a Go route or skinny post 

So, when a QB is inaccurate that is an excuse for him bouncing the ball off your chest?  Good to know. He quit like a bitch. 

3 hours ago, thadude said:

Because moronic jets fans are tired of having their time wasted by horrible quarterbacks and want a qb who can read defenses and throw 

petty looked like a total JAG and Hackenturd looks so bad in practice Mac/Bowles have to hide him.  So enjoy that horror show next season while Glennon lights it up in Arizona or Denver

Lol.

Maybe I'm missing something, but why do we have to release him?  

His contract is essentially one year at 7.5 million, which is a discounted rate if you consider that it's around the same range as Sanu, Hurns, Tate with only a one year commitment.  Why can't we trade him?  I'm not saying we would get a first round pick or anything for him, but what is the value in releasing him, when on a one year contract, he's not really priced all that badly?

49 minutes ago, win4ever said:

His contract is essentially one year at 7.5 million, which is a discounted rate if you consider that it's around the same range as Sanu, Hurns, Tate with only a one year commitment.  Why can't we trade him?  I'm not saying we would get a first round pick or anything for him, but what is the value in releasing him, when on a one year contract, he's not really priced all that badly?

he would become more expensive if he hit the open market and more than one team wanted him.  at 7.5 mil he is a medium priced receiver.

4 hours ago, thadude said:

Watch the tape on Petty.  He makes Geno Smith look accurate

The only throw Petyy can make with any accuracy is when he throws deep to a receiver running a Go route or skinny post 

For what it's worth Smith completion % his rookie year was 55.8%

In 4 starts last year Petty was 56.3.  So there's that

17 minutes ago, jetfan39 said:

he would become more expensive if he hit the open market and more than one team wanted him.  at 7.5 mil he is a medium priced receiver.

Yeah, at 7.5 million, he's fairly priced.  I'm guessing there should be decent interest in him, even if it's for a 5th round pick, it's better than losing him without any compensation.  

17 minutes ago, jetfan39 said:

Yeah, at 7.5 million, he's fairly priced.  I'm guessing there should be decent interest in him, even if it's for a 5th round pick, it's better than losing him without any compensation.  

17 minutes ago, win4ever said:

totally agree 

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

For what it's worth Smith completion % his rookie year was 55.8%

In 4 starts last year Petty was 56.3.  So there's that

Petty spent his first NFL year as the 3rd QB....result:  ZERO first team reps.

He showed promise/progression this pre-season (yeah, I know, against future grocery baggers...wahtever..) then got injured in last PS game causing him to miss the first half of the season.  Result:  ZERO first team reps.

Comes off injury list, and is 3rd string again for a few weeks until Geno gets a start due to Fitz's injury/ineptitude.  Result:  ZERO first team reps.

Geno gets hurt, Petty gets an interim start as Fitz is still healing, with a game plan designed for someone with a history of ZERO first team reps and underperforms...Fitz gets re-inserted as starter after this, because, you know, the Jets aren't 'eliminated' yet.  K.

Jets lose like 10th game, team checks out, OL is a shambles, Petty gets put in as starter because 'Jets are now out of it'.  Had about a week of first team reps.  His performance is equivocal...some bad, some good.  Gets hurt in week 15, ends season.

He's a bust to Jets fans.  Start Hack!

And we want to develop a QB? LMAO.

4 hours ago, win4ever said:

Marshall was insubordinate that's why they are cutting him or at least the rumors are there

We cut Jeremy Kerley for no real reason other than he didn't tongue kiss Bowles ass enough

2 hours ago, thadude said:

Marshall was insubordinate that's why they are cutting him or at least the rumors are there

We cut Jeremy Kerley for no real reason other than he didn't tongue kiss Bowles ass enough

Or it could be he was slow and short and not a real game changer .. Decker in the slot > Kerley in the slot 

If he's cut, there are already rumors that other teams are interested, so he still retains interest around the league.  Good No. 2 WRs make about the same money as him, and he would be a one year commitment with no consequences afterwards.  Not only that, if you don't re-sign him, and he goes elsewhere, he should be eligible to get you a compensation pick if you choose to pursue that avenue (We won't be, because we actually have to sign people to fill out the team).  

I'm not too worried about Kerley, although I'm more worried about Devin Smith since I think he's much more talented.  

11 hours ago, win4ever said:

The value is addition by subtraction.  He's one of the worst in the league at what he does (most drops, one of the worst catch % in the league) and he's a enormous headache that nobody wants around during a rebuild when you're bound to have terrible QB and win maybe 4 games. 

1 hour ago, JiF said:

The value is addition by subtraction.  He's one of the worst in the league at what he does (most drops, one of the worst catch % in the league) and he's a enormous headache that nobody wants around during a rebuild when you're bound to have terrible QB and win maybe 4 games. 

I just don't see the point of creating another hole on the team (at WR) when we have so many other holes to fill this off season.  Keep Marshall here for 2017 and then deal with replacing him for 2018. He's definitely worth $7.5 million for another season.  If Bowles, Mac and our shiny new OC don't want him, there could be some WR needy team out there who would shoot us a round 5 (maybe round 4) pick the same way Chicago did for us when they wanted to move him out.  I think Bowles and Mac will sit down with young Morton and make a decision.  

Marshall has a ton of drops every year.  From his early days in Denver to Miami to Chicago to here, he has always been near the top of the drops list in the NFL.  He runs his mouth, divides his time with Showtime for Inside the NFL (in which, BTW, Marshall isn't very entertaining or enlightening... all he does is spout his opinions which never have any substance).  Nonetheless, his talent is immense and we are not going to do any better with any veteran available for $7.5 million.  In the end, I think it will come down to Morton and how much he feels he needs that vet presence to go along with Decker and the young guys.   Personally, I think Marshall's strengths far outweigh the liability and would like him to stay another year. But if the brass doesn't feel that way, I'm fine with it, but would hope Mac takes an early WR with a lot of promise.

10 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I just don't see the point of creating another hole on the team (at WR) when we have so many other holes to fill this off season.  Keep Marshall here for 2017 and then deal with replacing him for 2018. He's definitely worth $7.5 million for another season.  If Bowles, Mac and our shiny new OC don't want him, there could be some WR needy team out there who would shoot us a round 5 (maybe round 4) pick the same way Chicago did for us when they wanted to move him out.  I think Bowles and Mac will sit down with young Morton and make a decision.  

Marshall has a ton of drops every year.  From his early days in Denver to Miami to Chicago to here, he has always been near the top of the drops list in the NFL.  He runs his mouth, divides his time with Showtime for Inside the NFL (in which, BTW, Marshall isn't very entertaining or enlightening... all he does is spout his opinions which never have any substance).  Nonetheless, his talent is immense and we are not going to do any better with any veteran available for $7.5 million.  In the end, I think it will come down to Morton and how much he feels he needs that vet presence to go along with Decker and the young guys.   Personally, I think Marshall's strengths far outweigh the liability and would like him to stay another year. But if the brass doesn't feel that way, I'm fine with it, but would hope Mac takes an early WR with a lot of promise.

How was the Jets offense with Marshall and his hand picked QB this year? 

He doesnt make the team better on the field because he's statistically terrible on the field and he divides the team in the lockerroom but let's keep him around because he's cheap. 

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

He doesnt make the team better on the field because he's statistically terrible on the field and he divides the team in the lockerroom but let's keep him around because he's cheap. 

He sure did in 2015.  No reason why it wouldn't happen again in 2017 with a decent QB play.  Not going to do any better at $7.5 mill with a FA.  Decker and the young kids is not enough.  Like it or not, I think they will keep Marshall aboard for 2017. Based on the team roster and cap limitations, it makes sense to keep him.   

23 minutes ago, Dcat said:

He sure did in 2015.  No reason why it wouldn't happen again in 2017 with a decent QB play.  Not going to do any better at $7.5 mill with a FA.  Decker and the young kids is not enough.  Like it or not, I think they will keep Marshall aboard for 2017. Based on the team roster and cap limitations, it makes sense to keep him.   

Lots of hot air.  Full of hot air, just like when he was going to catch more pass than Antonio Brown:

New York Jets wide receiver Brandon Marshall’s production in 2016 was subpar, but that isn’t shaking his confidence.

He had one of the worst years of his career, receiving just 59 passes for 788 yards and three touchdowns. Despite that, Marshall sees things turning around in 2017.

“Last year was a down year for several reasons,” Marshall said on ESPN’s First Take. “I’m not even in the top 30 (right now). I had 700-and-something yards.

“But this year, I promise you, I’ll be in the top five.”

That’s a bold claim from a wide receiver that will be 33 next season and had nagging injuries last year. If Marshall stays with the Jets it is unclear who his quarterback will be. Ryan Fitzpatrick and Bryce Petty’s abysmal play certainly didn’t help Marshall out last season.

Of course, there is a good chance Marshall does not return to Gang Green. The wide out is owed $7.5 million next year, and the Jets can save that much if they part ways with him.

If Marshall does return to being an elite wide receiver, it won’t necessarily be in New York.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Statistically terrible?

For Marshall to get 800 yards receiving with this clown carnival qb depth chart we had was remarkable

1 hour ago, thadude said:

Statistically terrible?

For Marshall to get 800 yards receiving with this clown carnival qb depth chart we had was remarkable

Lead the league in drops and one of the worst catch ratio/%'s in the entire NFL and he gave up on his QB...he was pathetic in 2016.  Literally, pathetic. 

Meanwhile, 7th round pick Quincy Enunwa was twice the player on less targets.  Go figure.

52 minutes ago, JiF said:

Lead the league in drops and one of the worst catch ratio/%'s in the entire NFL and he gave up on his QB...he was pathetic in 2016.  Literally, pathetic. 

Meanwhile, 7th round pick Quincy Enunwa was twice the player on less targets.  Go figure.

Agreed.  Bad play on the field, bad in the locker room plus old.  He has no chance of being on this team next year.  Cut him ASAP and move on.

We really need to merge this with my 'More diarrhea of the mouth from Brandon Marshall" because he never shuts the **** up. 

Is this going to the offseason of damage control? 

A year after lobbying the Jets to re-sign Ryan Fitzpatrick, Brandon Marshall may be "retired" from offering his quarterback suggestions, but that doesn't mean he won't offer his thoughts on the Jets quarterbacks.

And when it comes to the two young ones on the current roster, the veteran receiver apparently likes what he's seen.

Marshall, speaking again on WFAN from the Super Bowl Media Center in Houston, Marshall had nothing but praise for second-year pro Bryce Petty and rookie Christian Hackenberg. He stopped short of endorsing either as the Jets' starter in 2017, but he made it clear he believes the potential in both is there.

On Hackenberg, the second-round pick who didn't play a snap and was ripped by an anonymous Jets assistant after the season, Marshall said "I love the kid. Big arm. So smart. I mean, from Day 1 (he was saying) 'Brandon, hey when are you watching film? I want to go sit in that room with you and watch film.'

"That's what I love about quarterbacks. That's what I love, like the guys who have that Tom Brady, that Peyton Manning leadership quality, the guys that are gym rats - that's Hackenberg. The kid has a chance. … If he continues to work, he'll be all right."

And as for Petty, Marshall said there was dramatic improvement even as he struggled during his late-season starts.

"Where he was then and where he's at today, you can't even compare it," Marshall said. "I mean, this guy's the first one in. He went from probably 20 percent body fat to like 8 percent. He's chiseled. So his body's changed. He's been around Fitz for a year now, and where Fitz stands out is his mind. So Bryce got it. 

"Now Bryce needs more reps, and Bryce needs to go out there and continue to get better."

As for whether Petty could be the Jets' starter next season, Marshall said "This kid, he has an innate ability to learn the quarterback position."

Statistically terrible?

This one is for you since you think he played well - lmfao  "I stunk it up" -  lmfao

I love how he doesnt know how to pronounce Q's last name.

http://sports.yahoo.com/video/brandon-marshall-stunk-last-210125184.html

7 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Except Decker wanted out of the slot and then had two major surgeries and missed the majority of the year while Keeler thrived in San Fran. 

Where has he said this ? Just curious never seen him complain about it and 600 yards and 3 Tds is thriving now ? Seem like his normal yearly production to me . That 1 100 yard game he had this season .  Just screams thriving 

Archived