Bagwell, Pudge and Raines are in.

PFSIKH

16 minutes ago, PFSIKH said:

Hoffman and Vlad were 5 and 15 short.  Clemens and Bond continued to creep up.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/18504557/jeff-bagwell-tim-raines-ivan-pudge-rodriguez-elected-baseball-hall-fame

Vlad should be in, he was amazing.

I'm not on the Hoffman bandwagon.  He had a long career, and he'll get in, but I don't know, I'm not as sold on him.  Maybe because he was kind of mediocre in the playoffs.

31 minutes ago, chirorob said:

I'm not on the Hoffman bandwagon.  He had a long career, and he'll get in, but I don't know, I'm not as sold on him.  Maybe because he was kind of mediocre in the playoffs.

Same here.  He was good for a very long time.  I wonder if he played in a bigger market if he would have been 1st ballot.

17 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Vlad not being a first ballot guy is ******* embarrassing. Cooperstown voters blow so much dick year after year.

Yup.  I am glad they are making it public now.  That is a step in the right direction.

1 minute ago, JohnJ said:

Pudge going in and excluding others like Bonds and Clemens for ped's is a fukn hypocracy, Bagwell too. Before Vlad is another joke..

The only one more obvious than Pudge was Brett Boone...gtfoh

I don't even care..... the whole thing is a farce

4 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Vlad not being a first ballot guy is ******* embarrassing. Cooperstown voters blow so much dick year after year.

It was kind of a loaded ballot this year, but yeah.  Especially when you consider this:

Vladimir Guerrero is 1 of 9 players in MLB history with at least 1,000 at-bats, a .315 batting average and a .550 slugging percentage. Of the other 8 players, 7 are in the HOF.  The other is Miguel Cabrera.  

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Think anyone from Montreal will make the trip for Raines?  It would have been interesting if both him and Vlad got in together.  The last gasp of the Expos franchise. 

Kind of funny but a good friend of mine growing up was a huge Expos fan (we lived in NJ). Like die-hard type of fan. Wore an Expos jacket every day etc.

We were roomates in college. Then right after college the year with no World Series (strike year) happened. We would debate all the time over what would have happened. Me telling him that Steve Howe was unhittable late in games. Alou, Grissom and Mattingly, those were our back and forth smack talk battles for the year with no World Series.

That Expos team was LOADED though. 

5 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Kind of funny but a good friend of mine growing up was a huge Expos fan (we lived in NJ). Like die-hard type of fan. Wore an Expos jacket every day etc.

We were roomates in college. Then right after college the year with no World Series (strike year) happened. We would debate all the time over what would have happened. Me telling him that Steve Howe was unhittable late in games. Alou, Grissom and Mattingly, those were our back and forth smack talk battles for the year with no World Series.

That Expos team was LOADED though. 

Yep, that year's team was legit.  An OF of Alou-Grissom-Larry Walker in their primes?  Plus a young Rondell White off the bench?  Are you kidding me?  Then you're rolling out a pitching staff with Pedro, Ken Hill, Jeff Fassero, and Kirk Rueter, who then turn over games to guys like Mel Rojas and John Wetteland?  Loaded.

They may not have won the WS that year but a deep playoff run was basically assured. 

14 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yep, that year's team was legit.  An OF of Alou-Grissom-Larry Walker in their primes?  Plus a young Rondell White off the bench?  Are you kidding me?  Then you're rolling out a pitching staff with Pedro, Ken Hill, Jeff Fassero, and Kirk Rueter, who then turn over games to guys like Mel Rojas and John Wetteland?  Loaded.

They may not have won the WS that year but a deep playoff run was basically assured. 

Honestly I don't think the Expos were going to be beat that year. The Yankees and Expos had the best records in baseball. But the Yankees were built very differently. The Yankees lost in the postseason the next year and started the dynasty by winning the World Series the following year. But pretty much Bernie, Donnie, O'Neil and Boggs were the only offensive guys still there in '96. For the Yankees to have won Jimmy Key, who had a great year, would have had to have been lights out in the postseason. 

On 1/19/2017 at 8:08 AM, Maxman said:

Honestly I don't think the Expos were going to be beat that year. The Yankees and Expos had the best records in baseball. But the Yankees were built very differently. The Yankees lost in the postseason the next year and started the dynasty by winning the World Series the following year. But pretty much Bernie, Donnie, O'Neil and Boggs were the only offensive guys still there in '96. For the Yankees to have won Jimmy Key, who had a great year, would have had to have been lights out in the postseason. 

It is amazing the ramifications of that strike.   Baseball died in Montreal, that team was really good and really young, they didn't just have a 1 year window.

On January 19, 2017 at 7:27 AM, faba said:

Hall Of Fame is so diluted now it really does not matter anymore to me. Popularity contest 

It really is.  I'm shocked an outed roider like Ivan Rodriguez got in that's two years in a row catchers on steroids got in with him and Mike Piazza

On January 20, 2017 at 11:51 AM, JiF said:

Oh and Curt Schilling is doing a radio whiny bitch tour about how he's going down in voting because he's a crack pot who cant control himself on twitter and his butt hurt is amazing to listen to. 

If you think that's bad wait until Schilling loses his senate election in two years by a million + votes

On January 20, 2017 at 11:44 AM, chirorob said:

It is amazing the ramifications of that strike.   Baseball died in Montreal, that team was really good and really young, they didn't just have a 1 year window.

Expos had very decent attendance in the 80's and even outdrew the Yankees for a few years

Mlb screwed Montreal because they wanted a team in the rich and powerful DC market

55 minutes ago, thadude said:

Expos had very decent attendance in the 80's and even outdrew the Yankees for a few years

Mlb screwed Montreal because they wanted a team in the rich and powerful DC market

The Expos were below NL attendance average their final 22 years. The inability for Montreal to fund a new stadium was a death knell. 

I would have loved to see the Expos continue in Montreal, but it was just not feasible to continue doing so,

23 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

The Expos were below NL attendance average their final 22 years. The inability for Montreal to fund a new stadium was a death knell. 

I would have loved to see the Expos continue in Montreal, but it was just not feasible to continue doing so,

I know for a long time, they didn't even have a local TV deal, just a radio deal.

I went to a Mets game in Montreal at the end of 2003.  Vlad would have hit for the cycle, but he missed the single.  Lafayette's own Franco who we knew from the neighborhood pitched a scoreless 9th.  The fans were ecstatic and did the wave.  I should rephrase that, I only think they did the wave because they were happy they had enough fans there.  The majority of the stadium was only one row deep. 

On 1/18/2017 at 6:58 PM, chirorob said:

I remember when the Yanks played them in the Series.  Game 3 in Qualcomm, the Yanks are down.  They start playing Hells' Bells.  The hair on the back of my neck was standing up.  Then Tino works the count and I felt all better.  

23 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I remember when the Yanks played them in the Series.  Game 3 in Qualcomm, the Yanks are down.  They start playing Hells' Bells.  The hair on the back of my neck was standing up.  Then Tino works the count and I felt all better.  

That was great.  Was that Tino or Brosius.  I thought Tino took Langston deep, but, I'm old.

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Brosius hit the homer, but Tino walked first.  Tino homered during the comeback in game 1, after Knoblauch homered earlier in the inning.  Don't remember who was pitching.

Tino hit off of Langston.   2-2 curve looked like a strike, not called.  But.... Langston can't make another good pitch, hangs one, and BOOM!!

Archived