How bad do you guys miss Pennington right now?

tfine

Man I was watching the 2002 highlights of him. The guy was on point. It's really too bad he got hurt and the fans and media created a "weak arm" stigma around him. Also the Jets never got him any weapons. He could've of been great. He last good QB we ever had. Just another QB neglected by the Jets.

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Big-time.
Whenever he was healthy, the Jets were a playoff team. He gets knocked due to his injuries hurting his arm strength but he was a good quarterback for our Jets.

Seriously. Think about it who was his best receiver? Coles? Santana Moss? Please. If we got that guy a stud receiver or even a stud TE that guy would've been money. No help.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I don't miss Chad even one iota.  He was good enough to beat the mediocre teams but that's about it.  He had a noodle arm even pre-injuries.  He was the master of the 2 yard dump-off.  I admit he was probably slightly better than I give him credit for but, overall, he was vastly overrated by far too many Jet fans. 

3 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

Big-time.

Whenever he was healthy, the Jets were a playoff team. He gets knocked due to his injuries hurting his arm strength but he was a good quarterback for our Jets.

Capable, smart, stand up guy and a role model.

When he won, he gave all the credit to his teammates.  When he lost, he put it all on himself.  Sorry but I give him points for that.

Far cry from Sanchez who would say it was "bad luck".

Kind of player whose jersey you bought for your 5 year old kid.

Impossible guy not to root for, but I'll never forget the season opener in KC when his first two passes literally looked like punts.  He had WR's standing there wide open and waiting for the ball to come down.  Made Fitz's arm look like Favre.

Very easy guy to root for, came in as one of the Jets four first round picks that year.  Was elevated to the first round because he was throwing to Randy Moss at Marshall and we did need a QB to start learning behind Vinny at the time.  Who knew Tom Brady was going to be a 6th round steal that year.  But yes, I did like his smarts, leadership qualities, and his passion for the game.

4 hours ago, King P said:

Curtis Martin?

Laverneus Coles?

Santana Moss?

Jericho Cotchery?

Really? No weapons? Lol

Especially when you see what Coles and Moss did when they left for the Redskins.

6 hours ago, rex-n-effect said:

He was not as bad as his critics suggest nor as good as his proponents believe. He was on the upper end of the middle of the pack not accounting for the injuries. 

Not accounting for injuries......  

The Titanic was fantastic not accounting for the iceberg.

Chad couldn't stay on the field but IF, IF, IF.....    i

6 hours ago, tfine said:

Seriously. Think about it who was his best receiver? Coles? Santana Moss? Please. If we got that guy a stud receiver or even a stud TE that guy would've been money. No help.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

i wouldn't go that far.  any qb can benefit from a guy like marshall or decker.  and coles was no slouch either.  he also has cmart. the jets would be lucky to have santana now if only for his punt return skills.  chad had trouble with pressure as shown in the raider playoff game and he didn't have a deep ball.  although he did wind up once and threw a bullet in a chrger game.

56 minutes ago, NYDreamer said:

Very easy guy to root for, came in as one of the Jets four first round picks that year.  Was elevated to the first round because he was throwing to Randy Moss at Marshall and we did need a QB to start learning behind Vinny at the time.  Who knew Tom Brady was going to be a 6th round steal that year.  But yes, I did like his smarts, leadership qualities, and his passion for the game.

the thing about brady that people seem to overlook is that he came from a big time program and was successful there.  his stock was knocked because he split time with henson and he still had some growing to do.

as for chaddy, he will always be the would coulda guy.

Nope, been there done that, "he was an egg back there", great person, good leader for the team but just like a 9-7 season with no playoffs he provided some hope but not enough for the golden ticket

Almost the opposite of Sanchez, Penny may have had fewer turnovers in the playoffs but no deep pass so  I don't think he beats the Colts or the Steelers either, but he did win the AFC East for the fish

09-10 needed Favre with his OC and fat Rex 

9 hours ago, tfine said:

Man I was watching the 2002 highlights of him. The guy was on point. It's really too bad he got hurt and the fans and media created a "weak arm" stigma around him. Also the Jets never got him any weapons. He could've of been great. He last good QB we ever had. Just another QB neglected by the Jets.

His weak arm, and defenses stacking the box on passing downs, is what created the stigma.

I can appreciate the inflammatory thread though... should go well.

6 hours ago, Flushing Roots said:

Capable, smart, stand up guy and a role model.

When he won, he gave all the credit to his teammates.  When he lost, he put it all on himself.  Sorry but I give him points for that.

Far cry from Sanchez who would say it was "bad luck".

Kind of player whose jersey you bought for your 5 year old kid.

This is categorically false.  Sanchez, for all his faults, took far more of the blame for losses, and would state that  he needed to get better.  Pennington would throw 2 picks in a game and say, "outside of two or three throws, I thought I played well."

Not to mention becoming the second highest paid QB and immediately telling the fans/media that he took a "team friendly" deal.

Not to mention his lecture to the media about how it's a privilege for them to cover him.

It's remarkable how many grown men were suckered by his completion percentage, his goofy smile, and his aww shucks hair cut.

8 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I don't miss Chad even one iota.  He was good enough to beat the mediocre teams but that's about it.  He had a noodle arm even pre-injuries.  He was the master of the 2 yard dump-off.  I admit he was probably slightly better than I give him credit for but, overall, he was vastly overrated by far too many Jet fans. 

Beat Minny when they were amtop team.  Beat the Steelers in his first season, should have beaten in the playoffs if Herm had a brain.  Threw a nice bomb to set up the go ahead score.   Beat the Raiders, Dolphins etc.  beat plenty of teams that weren't bottom dwellers until his lack of arm strength kept him from beating anyone. 

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Was the next Joe Montana until the shoulder injury.

The shoulder injury was the greatest thing that ever happened to Chad's legacy.  Because of it, you have a handful of people remembering him fondly, thinking about what only could have been, and making outlandish claims like he's the "next Joe Montana."  Had he never gotten hurt, there's no reason to believe that the last game we saw him healthy, at Oakland, wasn't his future, and any defense that was good enough to shut down the middle of the field would stop him in his tracks.

2 minutes ago, gEYno said:

The shoulder injury was the greatest thing that ever happened to Chad's legacy.  Because of it, you have a handful of people remembering him fondly, thinking about what only could have been, and making outlandish claims like he's the "next Joe Montana."  Had he never gotten hurt, there's no reason to believe that the last game we saw him healthy, at Oakland, wasn't his future, and any defense that was good enough to shut down the middle of the field would stop him in his tracks.

Actually, let me amend this.  It's a tie.

The two greatest things to ever happen to Chad Pennington were the shoulder injuries and Doug Brien.

Archived