How bad do you guys miss Pennington right now?

tfine

8 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Times have changed, as I have remodeled my TL;DR into bullet points, for greater efficiency.  Let's begin, shall we:

1.  Noodle arm

2.  Injury Prone

3.  Dump-off king / Played like a scared bitch

4.  Douchebag / Laughably self-impressed

5.  Useless in the clutch / playoffs

6.  Sucked balls in 2007 despite a lack of injury excuse, disproving that theory

7.  Except for 2002, team was never better with him than his backups (i.e., similar or better records from Vinny, Carter, Bollywood, Clemens in those years)

But hey, he kept that completion percentage up with all those amazing two yard dumpoffs to Jerald Sowell on 3rd and long.  That's something, right?

You just made my whole 2017 awesome already.  If only one could rep posts multiple times. 

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

a weak ass Colts D?  the same weak ass Colts D that carried Peyton to a SB a few years earlier, the same weak ass D that allowed 3 points a week earlier to Baltimore in the div rd.  How soon we forget the O gave the D a double digit lead against one of the legendary choking QBs of all time(who would blow the SB 2 weeks later), we also forget he lost his only threat of a run game on the first possession of the 2nd half w/ the Jets up 17-13.  so a rookie QB on the road in that loud dome against 2 elite pass rushers had no threat of a run game- what could possibly go wrong in that situation>

In 2010 the D allowed a 10 min drive to start the game, the O barely had the ball in the first half and got the game w/in a score w/ plenty of time in the 4th and watched the D allow 2 first downs and end the game.

Ummm, the Colts 2005 defense and the Colts 2009 defense were very different. Four years is  an eternity in the NFL. 

In '05 they ranked 5th in DVOA and in 2009 they were 16th - Huge difference. 

29 minutes ago, gEYno said:

My point is, there's literally no sense in having an argument with someone who will argue that the Jets and Giants (minus the two superbowls) are really the same team.  You can't win an argument with someone who doesn't play by any rules of logic.

2009/2010 Jets made surprise title game runs and in the title games our D/STs struggled.  2007/2011 NYG made surprise title game runs and had good fortune to recover fumbled punts, have Favre throw away a season, have an obvious late fumble at SF blown dead then later have a ball stick to a helmet.  there wasn't much difference.  2 good teams that got hot, the Giants got more breaks and took advantage.

26 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I will grant you the 2009 Colts D was better than I remembered.  Other than that?  You're whacked.  The O barely had the ball against the Steelers because their posessions were as follows: 7 for 29 punt, 3 for -2 punt (after the big Harris INT), 3 for 3 punt, 3 for -14 fumble returned for a TD.  That is -7 points.  By the way, the team lost by 5.  

You want to credit him with being a rookie on the road?  Who gives a flying ****?  It's the playoffs and we aren't talking about moral victories.  He gave us a nice run, he didn't carry sh*t.  He threw one nice ball against Colts.  Yippee! 

those possessions at Pitt?

after watching almost 10 mins of 1st qtr freezing on sideline they came in and held the ball to give D a breather.  a penalty set us back.

2nd poss: end around lost 4 yds on 1st down, penalty on 2nd down.  2nd and 19 bit clearly all Mark's fault.

on the fumble, that easily could have been called a forward pass and he came from Mark's blind side.  it was a mistake on 3rd and 17 to go for the 1st down that deep in our territory BUT had we not turned it over Pitt gets the ball in great FP and gets at least a FG to make it 20-0, we went into the half down 21.  not much difference.

where did I ever say he carried us? never once have I said he carried us or that the D wasn't the main reason we made it that far BUT w/o Mark's play we never make it that far.  we had good D, you still need good O to win(except the 2015 Broncos).

5 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Chad Pennington is a first rate human being and gave the team you root for hope and quality QB play- we'll never know how good he could've been as the injuries to his throwing shoulder certainly lowered his ceiling and he became an Alex Smith, a QB that could win you ten games but never get you deep in the playoffs.

im struck how wantonly mean spirited some posts are in this thread. Reminiscent of the election. 

the jets have always had a bad culture and my favorite story of chad is the time when he communicated a play call in the huddle at practice and some of his lineman rolled  their eyes at the call and grumbled that it was a dumb play. Chad got stern and said, "Hey, it's not our job to question the playcall, its our job to run it the best we can."

You lost me with the first 8 words of this post.

1 minute ago, Klecko73isGod said:

Ummm, the Colts 2005 defense and the Colts 2009 defense were very different. Four years is  an eternity in the NFL. 

In '05 they ranked 5th in DVOA and in 2009 they were 16th - Huge difference. 

they won the SB in 2006 and their playoff D was great.  they allowed 12.8 PPG in the postseason that year.  In 2009 they allowed 14.7

14 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Times have changed, as I have remodeled my TL;DR into bullet points, for greater efficiency.  Let's begin, shall we:

1.  Noodle arm

2.  Injury Prone

3.  Dump-off king / Played like a scared bitch

4.  Douchebag / Laughably self-impressed

5.  Useless in the clutch / playoffs

6.  Sucked balls in 2007 despite a lack of injury excuse, disproving that theory

7.  Except for 2002, team was never better with him than his backups (i.e., similar or better records from Vinny, Carter, Bollywood, Clemens in those years)

But hey, he kept that completion percentage up with all those amazing two yard dumpoffs to Jerald Sowell on 3rd and long.  That's something, right?

1. arm was better than he was given credit for pre injury and w/ a torn rotator cuff threw one of the best passes in NYJ history at SD to Moss.

2. yes

3. smart

4. great human being

5. got us to playoffs every time he played at least 3/4 of a season for us

6. he actually got hurt week 1 and played through it, a year later healthy he took 1 win Miami and led them to 11 wins and div title.

7. dumbest statement ever posted on a message board

2 minutes ago, Klecko73isGod said:

They won the Super Bowl in Feb. 2006, after the 2005 NFL season. 

they won the SB in Feb 2007, after the 2006 season.  the 2005 season ended in a div rd one and done loss to Pitt where Peyton handed the steelers a win w/ his awful play.

3 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

Last home playoff game

41-0 vs the great Peyton Manning

and some of you guys are saying he sucked?

Whatever, have a nice life with Bubba Gump Bowltite

In a 3 week stretch he outplayed Brady(best QB of all time), Favre(top 10-15 all time), Peyton(top 10 all time).  Led our O's to 30 pts, 35 and 41.  but yeah he sucked b/c he struggled at Oakland when they dominated us all around.

One thing I've always been curious about, considering the always beloved injury excuse, does someone care to enlighten me on the medical logic of how an injury to the non-throwing wrist was somehow the beginning of his throwing arm somehow being affected?  Because his trend of suckiness had clearly already begun in 2003.

Just now, nyjunc said:

they won the SB in Feb 2007, after the 2006 season.  the 2005 season ended in a div rd one and done loss to Pitt where Peyton handed the steelers a win w/ his awful play.

OK, so I mixed 2005 and 2006 up, It still doesn't change the fact that 3 years is an eternity in the NFL. How many different starters were there between the two seasons? Did they even have the same coordinator? 

Arguing that the Colts were ever a strong defensive team is moronic to begin with. The Colts ranked higher defensively for most of the Manning years because Manning rendered most opposing offenses one dimensional. 

You can easily argue that Peyton Manning was the Colts most important defender his entire time in Indy. 

1 minute ago, Bleedin Green said:

One thing I've always been curious about, considering the always beloved injury excuse, does someone care to enlighten me on the medical logic of how an injury to the non-throwing wrist was somehow the beginning of his throwing arm somehow being affected?  Because his trend of suckiness had clearly already begun in 2003.

The suckiness began when he was born. 

Pre injury Chad I miss. The 02-04 version. After that, not so much. He was to fragile, couldn't be counted on and his arm strength diminished to nothing. I don't think he would ever have been able to get us to the Super Bowl. JMO.

But Chad was definitely one of the better QB's in our franchises history. I loved him.

10 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

2009/2010 Jets made surprise title game runs and in the title games our D/STs struggled.  2007/2011 NYG made surprise title game runs and had good fortune to recover fumbled punts, have Favre throw away a season, have an obvious late fumble at SF blown dead then later have a ball stick to a helmet.  there wasn't much difference.  2 good teams that got hot, the Giants got more breaks and took advantage.

those possessions at Pitt?

after watching almost 10 mins of 1st qtr freezing on sideline they came in and held the ball to give D a breather.  a penalty set us back.

2nd poss: end aroun2nd and 19 bit clearly all Markd lost 4 yds on 1st down, penalty on 2nd down.  's fault.

on the fumble, that easily could have been called a forward pass and he came from Mark's blind side.  it was a mistake on 3rd and 17 to go for the 1st down that deep in our territory BUT had we not turned it over Pitt gets the ball in great FP and gets at least a FG to make it 20-0, we went into the half down 21.  not much difference.

where did I ever say he carried us? never once have I said he carried us or that the D wasn't the main reason we made it that far BUT w/o Mark's play we never make it that far.  we had good D, you still need good O to win(except the 2015 Broncos).

You said he "played well" I don't see that up there. I'm not sitting here and crucifying him for losing those games, but blaming the D?  When you gain 16 yards on your first 4 possessions?  Well, it was cold.  Boo hoo. 

6 minutes ago, Klecko73isGod said:

OK, so I mixed 2005 and 2006 up, It still doesn't change the fact that 3 years is an eternity in the NFL. How many different starters were there between the two seasons? Did they even have the same coordinator? 

Arguing that the Colts were ever a strong defensive team is moronic to begin with. The Colts ranked higher defensively for most of the Manning years because Manning rendered most opposing offenses one dimensional. 

You can easily argue that Peyton Manning was the Colts most important defender his entire time in Indy. 

the 2009 Colts had a good D and they had 2 premiere pass rushers in that dome.  a week earlier they held Baltimore to 3 points on the same field.

Colts/broncos playoff Ds allowed less PPG than NE playoff Ds in the Brady Manning era.  the reason Indy and Den fell short so often was b/c of #18.

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

You said he "played well" I don't see that up there. I'm not sitting here and crucifying him for losing those games, but blaming the D?  When you gain 16 yards on your first 4 possessions?  Well, it was cold.  Boo hoo. 

playing well and carrying are 2 very different things.  not everything is black and white, we gave the D a breather on that first possessions, some penalties cost us.  the bottom line is he brought us back w/in 5 w/ plenty of time to play.

8 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

who said that affected his throwing arm?  his throwing arm was affected by multiple torn rotator cuffs in his throwing shoulder.  the wrist just knocked him out of the competitive portion of 2003.

6 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

1. arm was better than he was given credit for pre injury and w/ a torn rotator cuff threw one of the best passes in NYJ history at SD to Moss.

2. yes

3. smart

4. great human being

5. got us to playoffs every time he played at least 3/4 of a season for us

6. he actually got hurt week 1 and played through it, a year later healthy he took 1 win Miami and led them to 11 wins and div title.

7. dumbest statement ever posted on a message board

Of course I don't agree with any of your statements, and you've given absolutely no reason that anyone should, but #7 is quite literally a point of pure fact.  The team's records were almost identical, or better, with and without Pennington in every single year of his career, with the sole exception of 2002.  You can dismiss it all you like, but this isn't even a matter of opinion, it is a statistic that cannot be disputed.

Oh, and as far as your thoughts on #5 goes, Chad getting benched for awful play doesn't really count as an excuse for the team not making the playoffs, so that has no validity.  Although credit where it's due, you at least were smart enough to reword your earlier statement of "majority of the season", since that was completely wrong on multiple occasions.

1 minute ago, Bleedin Green said:

Of course I don't agree with any of your statements, and you've given absolutely no reason that anyone should, but #7 is quite literally a point of pure fact.  The team's records were almost identical, or better, with and without Pennington in every single year of his career, with the sole exception of 2002.  You can dismiss it all you like, but this isn't even a matter of opinion, it is a statistic that cannot be disputed.

Oh, and as far as your thoughts on #5 goes, Chad getting benched for awful play doesn't really count as an excuse for the team not making the playoffs, so that has no validity.  Although credit where it's due, you at least were smart enough to reword your earlier statement of "majority of the season", since that was completely wrong on multiple occasions.

I will play along:

Chad's teams w/ him vs. w/o in seasons he didn't play all 16 games:

w/ him: 44-37, 4 playoff apps, 2 div titles

w/o him: 24-39, zero playoff apps

looks almost identical!:lol:

2 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

yes, that is exactly what I am saying.:rolleyes:

I wonder how some people function in real life

Well... based on your posting here this morning, according to you every time Pennington or Sanchez lost a playoff game it was someone else's fault or it was too cold but every time Manning lost a playoff game it was completely his fault. 

I don't think its a leap in logic to come to the conclusion I came to regarding your ridiculous ranking of quarterbacks. 

I agree with you, I honestly wonder how some people function in real life and you are one of them.

Archived