no cap money, not talent and only a few wins

kmnj

way to go mac you are giving izadick a run for his money -we are right there with the Rams-yay team- you showed us you can spend almost every dollar and field a terrible team-lets see what year three brings us-I suspect you will cut players , try and gain cap money just like izadick did then say you are rebuilding and the process takes time-guess what my friend you will be shown the door after next year just like your predecessor was and you can take your terrible coach with you.

P.S smart move giving Fitz the extra cash -you really maximized his cash to int ratio -

30 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

He's building through the draft, ever heard of it? Takes time

Time is on my side, yes it is.
Now you all were saying that you want to be free
But you'll come runnin' back (I said you would baby), 
You'll come runnin' back (like I told you so many times before),
You'll come runnin' back to me.

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

Except hasn't so far, he has made some good picks and some terrible ones but no matter how much people want to think this team has been in rebuild mode all of their actions suggest otherwise.

32 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Now you all were saying that you want to be free
But you'll come runnin' back (I said you would baby), 
You'll come runnin' back (like I told you so many times before),
You'll come runnin' back to me.

You're a little off key there....

22 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Except hasn't so far, he has made some good picks and some terrible ones but no matter how much people want to think this team has been in rebuild mode all of their actions suggest otherwise.

Actually Mac's drafts (if you include UDFA's) are a lot better than his FA signings.  So there is that....   

1 hour ago, kmnj said:

way to go mac you are giving izadick a run for his money -we are right there with the Rams-yay team- you showed us you can spend almost every dollar and field a terrible team-lets see what year three brings us-I suspect you will cut players , try and gain cap money just like izadick did then say you are rebuilding and the process takes time-guess what my friend you will be shown the door after next year just like your predecessor was and you can take your terrible coach with you.

P.S smart move giving Fitz the extra cash -you really maximized his cash to int ratio -

Dude, people will get cut to get cap money

25 minutes ago, KRL said:

Amazing how "football fans" have no clue on the very basics of salary cap & contracts

it is very simply-we spent almost all of the money we had and got a terrible ROI on it-amazing how "football fans" have no clue about salary cap and contracts

he will now dump contracts like izadick did and the team will be even worse

he signed three bad contracts

As others have stated, the cap issue is really no issue at all. I'm not concerned about that.

I am concerned about the draft, though. For someone claiming to be building a team through the draft, we have little to show for it. You don't get a free pass just because you keep repeating that you are building through the draft. Idzik said he was building through the draft, too and look how that turned out.

Mac's drafts haven't impressed me in the least. Williams fell in his lap and yes, you give him credit for pulling the trigger. But other than him, who have we really added in the draft in these past 2 years? From the 2015 draft, the only other player who has proven to be somewhat valuable is Deon Simon. Devin Smith doesn't see the field, Petty looks like a mediocre backup QB thusfar, Mauldin is just a guy.

As far as the 2016 draft goes, you spent your 1st round pick on a part-time linebacker, your 2nd round pick on a project QB that you didn't develop at all last season and a couple decent but hardly exciting prospects in Burris, Shell, Peake, etc. I'm not saying you don't need guys like that - they're good to have. But you can't have a winner without frontend talent as well and we are sorely lacking there.

This is the worst position that I can remember the franchise being in, ever. The coach is about as clueless as it gets and doesn't seem to do anything well in particular. He doesn't scheme up defense as he was supposed to do, he works less with the offense than Rex did (are you kidding me?) and he all but admitted to losing his locker room in year 2. We have no offensive coordinator, and with a coach on the hot seat who may lose his job next year, who really wants that role? The young talent is mostly backend of the roster talent, the older talent is all over the hill or on their way out of the league. In his postseason interviews, I hear Mac talking about the young players like Robby Anderson and the like. Once again, I'm glad we have guys like that but that's not the point. Every team in the NFL has guys like that. If you don't even have that then you don't even have an NFL team. So both the roster and the coaching staff is a mess and you have barely anything to build around.

57 minutes ago, stoicsentry said:

As others have stated, the cap issue is really no issue at all. I'm not concerned about that.

I am concerned about the draft, though. For someone claiming to be building a team through the draft, we have little to show for it. You don't get a free pass just because you keep repeating that you are building through the draft. Idzik said he was building through the draft, too and look how that turned out.

Mac's drafts haven't impressed me in the least. Williams fell in his lap and yes, you give him credit for pulling the trigger. But other than him, who have we really added in the draft in these past 2 years? From the 2015 draft, the only other player who has proven to be somewhat valuable is Deon Simon. Devin Smith doesn't see the field, Petty looks like a mediocre backup QB thusfar, Mauldin is just a guy.

As far as the 2016 draft goes, you spent your 1st round pick on a part-time linebacker, your 2nd round pick on a project QB that you didn't develop at all last season and a couple decent but hardly exciting prospects in Burris, Shell, Peake, etc. I'm not saying you don't need guys like that - they're good to have. But you can't have a winner without frontend talent as well and we are sorely lacking there.

This is the worst position that I can remember the franchise being in, ever. The coach is about as clueless as it gets and doesn't seem to do anything well in particular. He doesn't scheme up defense as he was supposed to do, he works less with the offense than Rex did (are you kidding me?) and he all but admitted to losing his locker room in year 2. We have no offensive coordinator, and with a coach on the hot seat who may lose his job next year, who really wants that role? The young talent is mostly backend of the roster talent, the older talent is all over the hill or on their way out of the league. In his postseason interviews, I hear Mac talking about the young players like Robby Anderson and the like. Once again, I'm glad we have guys like that but that's not the point. Every team in the NFL has guys like that. If you don't even have that then you don't even have an NFL team. So both the roster and the coaching staff is a mess and you have barely anything to build around.

I think it would be interesting to map who Mac passed up in picking who he did.  I don't have the time to do that now.  But my initial impression is that the Hack and Devin Smith picks are screamers (but both still in progress), as there were players picked after that they turned out to be immediate and valuable contributors, but I am not sure that Mac left too many valuable players on the table in picking who he did in the other rounds.

The Leonard Williams pick is a wash because he did not unload one of the other DL.

2 hours ago, heymangold said:

Mac can make about 7-8 cuts and be around 30M cap space.  all isn't that bad.

I think about every team in the NFL can make 7-8 cuts and generate 30m cap space. Problem is, when we had 50mil of cap space couple of years ago, and this year we had to borrow money from the future cap and end up with 5 wins, someone should be answerable to that.

3 hours ago, dbatesman said:

If we are building through the draft, then we should expect a lot of cap room. Mac doesn't get a pass on this. He effed up the cap situation here when Idzik handed him probably the best cap situation in the whole league on a silver platter. Building through the draft, yet not SUITING UP your 'would-be future franchise QB' isn't really the ideal situation. We're not even talking about him playing. Yeah, he'll learn a lot being a ghost. 

6 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

By the time we hit FA, the Jets could have over 40 mil in cap space. We will be able to sign whoever we want.

right.  it's all pretty simple when you think about it.  and as long as they don't have to go after a big name qb (assuming petty or hack pan out) then that cap money will go a long way to fizing the oline and the secondary 

11 minutes ago, rangerous said:

right.  it's all pretty simple when you think about it.  and as long as they don't have to go after a big name qb (assuming petty or hack pan out) then that cap money will go a long way to fizing the oline and the secondary 

Exactly.. which will give us a lot of flexibility in the draft. We're just getting started! This team will look a whole lot different (and hopefully better) by the time we finish the month of March.

9 hours ago, kmnj said:

Midol anyone?

18 hours ago, j4jets said:

I think about every team in the NFL can make 7-8 cuts and generate 30m cap space. Problem is, when we had 50mil of cap space couple of years ago, and this year we had to borrow money from the future cap and end up with 5 wins, someone should be answerable to that.

definitely.  and i think it falls on an incompetent coaching staff.  Mac gave Bowles the same team 2 years in a row.  one year they played very well against a poor schedule, the next they under-achieved and quit on their coach, a bad sign for a coaches character.

Look around the league at other Gm's history of picks. The draft is an absolute crap shoot, a perfect example being Robbie Anderson outperforming a second round pick from last year ( Smith). We all criticized him for trading a pick this year and drafting Shell who looks like he has the promise of being a starting RT.

The reality is everyone is so angry over the hack pick everyone has gone blind to the fact the guy has done a pretty good job and  hopefully continues to improve year in and year out. People act like 3rd and 4th round picks should always succeed. The amount of 3rd and 4th rounders that wash out of the nfl every year is staggering, the fact we have some depth and backups from those picks is all you can really ask for.

Archived