If the Jets are waiting to name an OC, what are they waiting for?

Sarge4Tide

Since the Jets haven't named a new offensive coordinator yet, we can assume they are waiting on something or someone, so what are they waiting for?

I see 4 possibilities

Possibility 1
Waiting to Interview a Coach from a Playoff Team

For example, Green Bay Assistant Tom Clements or Cheaters Assistant Brian Daboll. 

Possibility 2
Waiting for OC Candidates to "Shake Out"

Will KC Assistant Matt Nagy be allowed to interview with the Jets or be promoted?  Who will other teams hire as OC, who will get promoted or reassigned?  Who will be available after all the head coaching moves - for example Ken Whisenhunt and Nathaniel Hackett were retained as OCs by their new Head Coaches  Will Falcons Assistant Matt LaFleur be promoted to OC if/when Kyle Shanahan is hired by the 49ers?

Possibility 3
Waiting for a College Coach until after National Signing Day

For example: Penn State OC Joe Moorhead, Stanford OC Mike Bloomgren (former Jets asst), Nebraska OC Danny Langsdorf (former Giants asst), Arkansas OC Dan Enos - probably several other possibilities

Possibility 4
Waiting to find the right person

Team either hasn't identified a person they really liked or wasn't able to get a commitment from a coach they really liked

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Since the Jets haven't named a new offensive coordinator yet, we can assume they are waiting on something or someone, so what are they waiting for?

I see 4 possibilities

Possibility 1

For example, Green Bay Assistant Tom Clements or Cheaters Assistant Brian Daboll. 

Possibility 2

Will KC Assistant Matt Nagy be allowed to interview with the Jets or be promoted?  Who will other teams hire as OC, who will get promoted or reassigned?  Who will be available after all the head coaching moves - for example Ken Whisenhunt and Nathaniel Hackett were retained as OCs by their new Head Coaches  Will Falcons Assistant Matt LaFleur be promoted to OC if/when Kyle Shanahan is hired by the 49ers?

Possibility 3

For example: Penn State OC Joe Moorhead, Stanford OC Mike Bloomgren (former Jets asst), Nebraska OC Danny Langsdorf (former Giants asst), Arkansas OC Dan Enos - probably several other possibilities

Possibility 4

Team either hasn't identified a person they really liked or wasn't able to get a commitment from a coach they really liked

Why are people in such a hurry?  The season isn't over yet.

Does naming one today vs. two weeks from now mean we get a free extra 14 points per game next year?

They'll hire one when they hire one.  Hopefully a good one.  The timing of when they hire is meaningless.

Just now, Warfish said:

Why are you in such a hurry?

Does naming one today vs. two weeks from now mean we get a free extra 14 points per game next year?

They'll hire one when they hire one.  Hopefully a good one.  The timing of when they hire is meaningless.

I agree there's no big hurry, just thinking out loud about what it could mean that they haven't hired one yet  

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Why the **** would we want 14 points in a game next year?  It might hurt our draft position. 

3 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

I agree there's no big hurry, just thinking out loud about what it could mean that they haven't hired one yet  

What it means is they haven't hired anyone yet.

Anything beyond that is pure speculation/conspiracy theorizing and a palate for the speculators own preconceptions and biases.

That's the problem with this kind of thing.  There are no facts, it's all just an excuse for various posters to vent their spleens on the team based on a totally made up and artificial idea of when they "should" have hired an OC.

For example, I could now say Macc is a total and complete failure and Bowles the worst unpopular HC in the NFL because "no one wants to work for either of them" because we haven't hired someone yet.

Is that a fact?  Lol, nope.

At least give the organization till the day after the Super Bowl before we start this kind of false-pressure-criticism thing.

3 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

I see 4 possibilities

Possibility 1

Possibility 2

Possibility 3

Possibility 4

Possibility 5 - The idiot in charge has no clue

7 hours ago, Warfish said:

well they really need to get the new guy on board in the next couple of weeks so he can prepare for the draft and get in synch with bowles.  i'm not so concerned about rumors.  the jets have been pretty close mouthed of late.  it must give the morons like mehta fits because they have to keep making bs up and they just aren't that smart.

I see 4 possibilities
Possibility 1
Possibility 2
Possibility 3
Possibility 4

Possibility 5-scratch that.

Most undoubtedly 5-nobody is lining up for a 1 year job with no QB. Bowles is without a doubt getting fired after next season. They won't have him coach out his final year and they sure as sh*t wont extend him. Not many coaches wanna come spend a year heading a team destined to have a bottom 5 offense.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Brian Daboll is an interesting choice and may be why we are waiting. He was pegged to take over as NEP OC next year but that no longer is the case. Young guy (only 41)who has learned under Belichick but also has experience outside of the Pats. He was a WR and QB coach with us under Mangini then went to Cleveland and spent 2 years as OC there with Mangini. Then spent a year as OC at Miami and at KC. Interestingly Belichick took him back despite leaving to work with Mangini. 

I wouldn't mind him as OC coupled with an experienced QB coach (Charlie Weis?). Ran a well balanced offense. Results were not there but in his defense he was coaching garbage players. Apparently was a ball buster/ strict disciplinarian type which we could use

23 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

I see 4 possibilities

Possibility 1

Possibility 2

Possibility 3

Possibility 4

Possibility 5

no one wants the job

1 hour ago, kennyo7 said:

Brian Daboll is an interesting choice and may be why we are waiting. He was pegged to take over as NEP OC next year but that no longer is the case. Young guy (only 41)who has learned under Belichick but also has experience outside of the Pats. He was a WR and QB coach with us under Mangini then went to Cleveland and spent 2 years as OC there with Mangini. Then spent a year as OC at Miami and at KC. Interestingly Belichick took him back despite leaving to work with Mangini. 

I wouldn't mind him as OC coupled with an experienced QB coach (Charlie Weis?). Ran a well balanced offense. Results were not there but in his defense he was coaching garbage players. Apparently was a ball buster/ strict disciplinarian type which we could use

I would be suprised if BB let him interview with us. He might have improved as a coach but when he was the OC in Cleveland and Miami he wasn't so impressive, granted his QB's were not the best. I would take him at this point.

4 hours ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

I would be suprised if BB let him interview with us. He might have improved as a coach but when he was the OC in Cleveland and Miami he wasn't so impressive, granted his QB's were not the best. I would take him at this point.

What is interesting about Daboll, is the statistics from those years he spent as an OC in Cleveland, Miami and KC.  His QBs were Brady Quinn, Derek Anderson, Colt McCoy, Jake Delhomme, Seneca Wallace, Matt Moore, Chad Henne, Matt Cassel... so not too inspiring.  But his offensive stats favored the running game more than the passing.  From 2009-2012, his offense ranked 6th, 22nd, 6th, and 5th in rushing attempts compared to 30th, 28th, 28th and 29th in passing attempts.  His offense ranked 8th, 20th, 11th and 5th in yards for rushing and 32nd, 29th, 23rd and 32nd in passing yards.  I wonder if his offense is a run first offense or was he just try to utilize the strengths of his players?  It is not like the teams he was coordinating for were gaining big leads and were running the ball to run the clock.  His RBs were, Jerome Harrison, Jamal Lewis, Peyton Hillis, Reggie Bush, Daniel Thomas, Jamaal Charles.  All except Jamaal Charles stands out as a RB that you could center your offense around.  Hopefully his mindset has changed over the past 4 -5 years and he has learned a lot.

34 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I would agree for the most part, but if you were unemployed, wouldn't you want a job?

I am not sure they are looking for an unemployed guy.  The guys they want have other prospects and have to choose the Jets over what other offers or current jobs they may have.  I would weigh security and future earnings against potential opportunity.  The Jets job looks like a one year venture to me.

Just now, Stonehands said:

I am not sure they are looking for an unemployed guy.  The guys they want have other prospects and have to choose the Jets over what other offers or current jobs they may have.  I would weigh security and future earnings against potential opportunity.  The Jets job looks like a one year venture to me.

Well if they aren't looking for a guy on the open market, I think that's dumb

Archived