Mel Kiper ..... first mock has us taking....

Stark

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i guess i'll have to wait another decade to take an offensive player in the first round.  and we'll all sit here and complain why the offense sucks.

Who is worth it at 6? Fournette? Cook? One of the QBs?... I'm just not sold on them.

22 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Yup, I agree with him that we will be taking a CB.  The Rex era all over again.

Except instead of an allegedly awesome defensive line coach having to burn premium resources on defensive linemen, we now have an allegedly awesome defensive backs coach who has to burn premium resources on defensive backs.

If it's not defense, it'll be a running back. That's the only available offensive position that's worth it at #6 (assuming Williams is drafted before our pick).

So time to get used to it guys. There's not a QB or OL that is draftable at #6. It's gonna be a DB or LB

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Are you sold on Marshon Lattimore at 6?

Nah, seems early doesn't it?

Marlon Humphrey or Quincy Wilson seem to be the better prospects to me, but maybe the combine will show something different... I do like Wilson though despite him not having a ton of starting experience...

I know there's a feeling that taking a safety at 6 is a waste, but I think I would rather have Malik Hooker than Lattimore too... I'll have to read up some more. 

15 minutes ago, DMan77 said:

Who is worth it at 6? Fournette? Cook? One of the QBs?... I'm just not sold on them.

i think one of the rbs is worth it.  the jets were 30th in scoring, and while it's obvious the qb needs upgrading, that doesn't mean that 'powell is good enough', or 'enunwa/decker/robbie anderson' are good enough.  there isn't one position on offense that does not need a major upgrade.  they were 30th in scoring last season.  let's bring in guys who make the offense better.  it would also help the defense, if the offense got more first downs.

7 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i think one of the rbs is worth it.  the jets were 30th in scoring, and while it's obvious the qb needs upgrading, that doesn't mean that 'powell is good enough', or 'enunwa/decker/robbie anderson' are good enough.  there isn't one position on offense that does not need a major upgrade.  they were 30th in scoring last season.  let's bring in guys who make the offense better.  it would also help the defense, if the offense got more first downs.

I think the Jets actually have a solid offensive core, but they just don't have a QB to take advantage of it... One of the RBs would likely help but it's just a question of what would help the most? 

If you had to list the Jets needs it would probably go QB then some mix of CB/OT/Edge rusher... I think those are positions that the Jets have ignored or just plain struck out on for too long. 

For what it's worth, this is supposedly a deep class at both RB as well as WR... So I fully expect the Jets to take both during the draft... They will have a fresh RB on the roster next season.

Given most CB's are in their prime for such a short amount of time. Im usually against using a 1st on one unless you're team is set and that is the final piece.

But for a rebuild like ours, we need guys who can play at a high level for a decade. Id rather take Hooker or Adams. Id love Barnett too, but I think we'll find great value for edge rusher in round 2. 

This all depends on free agency there are 2 legit corners on the market in Trumaine Johnson and Stephon Gilmore we should go after both of them we will have the cap space for it. Then draft an edge rusher or one of these safeties  in Hooker or Adams

From what little I've read, Hooker is Ed Reed 2.0.  If we're going to take a defensive player at 6, and there aren't any edge rushers worth it, I think I'd go with Hooker.

And yes, I'd strongly prefer offense - but there doesn't seem like there will be anyone remotely worth it there when we pick.

Like (everyone every year), I'd be thrilled with a trade down.  Maybe get Cook or one of the OTs in the teens.  But I'm not holding my breath.

26 minutes ago, DMan77 said:

I think the Jets actually have a solid offensive core, but they just don't have a QB to take advantage of it... One of the RBs would likely help but it's just a question of what would help the most? 

If you had to list the Jets needs it would probably go QB then some mix of CB/OT/Edge rusher... I think those are positions that the Jets have ignored or just plain struck out on for too long. 

For what it's worth, this is supposedly a deep class at both RB as well as WR... So I fully expect the Jets to take both during the draft... They will have a fresh RB on the roster next season.

they do not have a solid offensive core.  they have some players who can be good complementary players.  but the odds are they will get rid of brandon, and decker is coming off 2 major surgeries.  devin smith is still a big question mark.  they do not have depth at wr and do not have an alpha #1 wr.  they have 1 rb.  they desperately need a LT.  they still need a TE.  they need so much on offense besides a qb it's sad.  they need weapons on offense to begin to balance out this team.  they can still improve the secondary in FA and the draft without investing yet another high first round draft pick on defense.  

11 minutes ago, SR24 said:

This all depends on free agency there are 2 legit corners on the market in Trumaine Johnson and Stephon Gilmore we should go after both of them we will have the cap space for it. Then draft an edge rusher or one of these safeties  in Hooker or Adams

And finger crossed AJ Bouye. Also much keener on the idea of drafting Hooker.

Archived