Mel Kiper ..... first mock has us taking....

Stark

2 minutes ago, Dinamite said:

Say the jets take a safety given the importance of the position in today's NFL and the fact that there are 2 really good prospects projected to go top 10.    Who do you go for and why?

Malik Hooker - S, Ohio State

Hooker is a tall, rangy safety prospect with incredible instincts. He usually lines up as the high safety and he has an uncanny ability to anticipate throws, drive on the ball, and finish. He is ultra-fluid in his change of direction and has the ability to match up with tight ends in man coverage. He has the best ball skills of any safety I've ever evaluated in college. He is also a threat to score every time he touches the ball. Against the run, he is quick to key, read and fill the alley. He does have some fly-by missed tackles, but overall he's reliable in this area. Hooker has the potential to be one of the league's best safeties very early in his NFL career.

Jamal Adams - S, LSU

Adams has ideal size, versatility, and explosiveness for the position. He lines up as both the high safety and in the box. Against the pass, he is at his best roaming underneath or matching up in the slot. He can range and make plays from the deep middle, but he's more valuable closer to the line of scrimmage. He doesn't have a lot of ball production but he provides a physical presence and delivers huge hits on opposing pass-catchers. He is at his best in run support. He is quick to key and explode to the alley. With outstanding range against the run, he makes a lot of plays from the opposite hash. He is a dynamic athlete, and I've been told his intangibles are off the charts. He will be a tone-setter for an NFL defense, and he's ready to play right away.

Neither. I trade down or see the next-best prospect that isn't a safety.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

That is 100% happening, followed by the resident blog reading experts fellating the pick through new threads, lecturing us on the genius of BAP strategy. If we're lucky, maybe they'll even cite some draft prospect metrics for us along with whatever pros and cons they've paraphrased from Walterfootball.com

Strict BAP is absurd.  As if you can make a super confident determination between players 6-8 or players 23-25 or players 212-215 and so on.

7 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

there is validity to impact position very high in a draft.  i've come around to even value a rb at #6.  regardless of how many defensive players they draft, they will never contend for the division until they start getting playmakers on offense.  if they drafted cook i'd be thrilled.  let's get a guy who can take the holes that powell gets and go 70 yards instead of 20.  while i see the need to improve the secondary, it's more painful to watch this offense.

I love Cook.  Like him better than Fournette but the idea of a RB at #6 makes me sick.  

I've repeated this all before but the Packers just beat the Cowboys with a WR playing RB.  The Pats, start a UDFA.  The Steelers, a 2nd round pick.  The Falcons, a 4th.  Lets put it this way, how much better would the Cowboys have been with Jalen Ramsey or one of the pass rushers and then taking Jordan Howard who rushed for 1300 yards in Chicago in the 5th?  Maybe they could have made a stop when they needed it and Elliot was on the bench watching. 

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Wasn't his fault. We just didn't develop him right. He got 2 sacks lining up against Jake Long twice, don't forget!

Sperm....I think the most amazing thing about said player(I know you get lots of flack for calling him by name) is the clause in the last year of the contract. If he got a sack, caused a fumble or recovered one, just one of any of the three, he got some crazy amount of bonus $. Was the smartest clause of Mr.T's Jet life.

7 minutes ago, section314 said:

Remind you of another Buckeye picked at #6 a few years ago?

haha - no, I wont go that far.  Hooker looks like he can actually play Football.  Gholston was a stiff who bum rushed 275lb LT's that played for Northwestern.  But he beat Jake Long once!!!!

I thought this was interesting.   Daniel Jeremiah's list of top 50 prospects last year

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000641197/article/daniel-jeremiahs-top-50-prospects-for-2016-nfl-draft

Look who was #11

Darron Lee - LB, Ohio State

Lee was a two-year starter at linebacker for the Buckeyes. He has an ideal blend of instincts, speed and playmaking ability. Against the run, he is at his best when he can run/chase from the back side or shoot gaps and attack. He will aggressively take on lead blockers but there are times where he gets swallowed because of his lack of girth. He is an explosive, reliable tackler. He has stopping power. He is very valuable in the passing game. He is a dynamic blitzer and he's instinctive as a zone dropper. He has the speed and agility to run/mirror backs and tight ends. He has a knack for splash plays, including returning picks and fumbles for scores. Overall, Lee is an ideal 4-3 weakside linebacker prospect that should stuff stat sheets very early in his NFL career.

9 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Wasn't his fault. We just didn't develop him right. He got 2 sacks lining up against Jake Long twice, don't forget!

1 minute ago, JiF said:

haha - no, I wont go that far.  Hooker looks like he can actually play Football.  Gholston was a stiff who bum rushed 275lb LT's that played for Northwestern.  But he beat Jake Long once!!!!

You know, you're a real SOB sometimes. 

1 minute ago, Dinamite said:

I thought this was interesting.   Daniel Jeremiah's list of top 50 prospects last year

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000641197/article/daniel-jeremiahs-top-50-prospects-for-2016-nfl-draft

Look who was #11

Darron Lee - LB, Ohio State

Lee was a two-year starter at linebacker for the Buckeyes. He has an ideal blend of instincts, speed and playmaking ability. Against the run, he is at his best when he can run/chase from the back side or shoot gaps and attack. He will aggressively take on lead blockers but there are times where he gets swallowed because of his lack of girth. He is an explosive, reliable tackler. He has stopping power. He is very valuable in the passing game. He is a dynamic blitzer and he's instinctive as a zone dropper. He has the speed and agility to run/mirror backs and tight ends. He has a knack for splash plays, including returning picks and fumbles for scores. Overall, Lee is an ideal 4-3 weakside linebacker prospect that should stuff stat sheets very early in his NFL career.

The only thing accurate about this assessment is that he's a 4-3 weak side LB.  That would fit him very well actually. 

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

I love Cook.  Like him better than Fournette but the idea of a RB at #6 makes me sick.  

I've repeated this all before but the Packers just beat the Cowboys with a WR playing RB.  The Pats, start a UDFA.  The Steelers, a 2nd round pick.  The Falcons, a 4th.  Lets put it this way, how much better would the Cowboys have been with Jalen Ramsey or one of the pass rushers and then taking Jordan Howard who rushed for 1300 yards in Chicago in the 5th?  Maybe they could have made a stop when they needed it and Elliot was on the bench watching. 

that's a great point, but the problem is, the cowboys have the best OL in the league.  every rb is doing well and prescott really benefitted from it as well, as did romo.

with no qb and a middling OL, the jets could begin to change their offense by drafting a guy who could be a star right away, rather than taking a safety or cb again in the first round.  while i'm not expecting mccagnan to wind up with the next pryor or kyle wilson, at some point the jets will need to invest premium picks on offense.  and the response can't be, well, there aren't any qbs or LTs worth the 6th pick, so we may as well go defense again.  this team has regressed on defense despite continually investing 1st and 3rd round picks on defense (the jets have about a 5 year trend of taking defense in these rounds, going offense in the 2nd with studs like hack/devin/vlad/stephen hill).  

i'm not saying cook is the answer, i'm not saying it's fournette and i definitely don't think any of these qbs are worth taking at 6.  i just don't see how the jets will ever get better if they do not take offensive players in the first round.  what happens is you wind up with an offense whose starters are mostly imported.  the jets starting offense on opening day had 2 drafted guys on the OL and  1 wr.  just pathetic.

38 minutes ago, JiF said:

Hooker make some incredible plays.  The one he made vs. Clemson in the playoffs was ridiculous.  To cover that much field in that short of time to beat the WR to a well placed ball was just straight nutty.

I keep hearing him being compared to Ed Reed.  And honestly, it's not fair.  Ed is top 3 all time IMO.  That's a big comparison to live up to.

FWIW - Ed Reed would have been a Jet if it were up to me.  I remember almost peeing my pants that were going to select him and then Brian Thomas happened. Kind of similar to Brady > Sapp. 

I think if you were told that you could draft Ed Reed, Sean Taylor, Ray Lewis or Luke Kuechly at 6 and have their services for a rookie contract for 5 years, I think most of us would do that.  FWIW, only 2 of those guys were picked that high (others mid 20s).

32 minutes ago, JiF said:

Yeah, disagree.  Positional value still applies.  He's not worth it there IMO.  He makes tackles.  We already have a fast undersized MLB who makes tackles and nothing else (cant cover, cant pass rush), so it's redundant IMO.  And the difference between the 32nd ranked MLB and the 1st MLB is minimal.  It's a poor use of a high pick, just like last year.  It's just not impact position, even if he's in the league for 10 years. 

The jury is still out on Darron Lee, but he was projected to be picked around where he was, and the jury is still out as to whether the picks after him (the WRs) turn out to be more valuable.  Lee did appear to be a "need" pick pushed for by Bowles.  Interestingly, when watching him play he did appear to be in the hip pocket of the TE/RBs he was covering, but he does not know how to cover yet-they would catch the ball anyway.  This is different from Harris and Davis who would not even be close to the receiver.

20 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

that's a great point, but the problem is, the cowboys have the best OL in the league.  every rb is doing well and prescott really benefitted from it as well, as did romo.

with no qb and a middling OL, the jets could begin to change their offense by drafting a guy who could be a star right away, rather than taking a safety or cb again in the first round.  while i'm not expecting mccagnan to wind up with the next pryor or kyle wilson, at some point the jets will need to invest premium picks on offense.  and the response can't be, well, there aren't any qbs or LTs worth the 6th pick, so we may as well go defense again.  this team has regressed on defense despite continually investing 1st and 3rd round picks on defense (the jets have about a 5 year trend of taking defense in these rounds, going offense in the 2nd with studs like hack/devin/vlad/stephen hill).  

i'm not saying cook is the answer, i'm not saying it's fournette and i definitely don't think any of these qbs are worth taking at 6.  i just don't see how the jets will ever get better if they do not take offensive players in the first round.  what happens is you wind up with an offense whose starters are mostly imported.  the jets starting offense on opening day had 2 drafted guys on the OL and  1 wr.  just pathetic.

I get what you're saying...I really do.  I want offense too but not a RB.  It's too easy of a positoin to fill and just doesnt have the impact other positions do.  

I think a lot of players could have done what Zeke did this year behind that OL and the play of Dak.  We dont have either.  sh*t, just look at Todd Gurley for example.  Dude was terrible this year and he was the darling of the NFL the year before. 

And dont get me wrong...I would be excited to watch Cook or Fournette but I dont think it's a smart use of a high pick. 

2 minutes ago, varjet said:

I think if you were told that you could draft Ed Reed, Sean Taylor, Ray Lewis or Luke Kuechly at 6 and have their services for a rookie contract for 5 years, I think most of us would do that.  FWIW, only 2 of those guys were picked that high (others mid 20s).

The jury is still out on Darron Lee, but he was projected to be picked around where he was, and the jury is still out as to whether the picks after him (the WRs) turn out to be more valuable.  Lee did appear to be a "need" pick pushed for by Bowles.  Interestingly, when watching him play he did appear to be in the hip pocket of the TE/RBs he was covering, but he does not know how to cover yet-they would catch the ball anyway.  This is different from Harris and Davis who would not even be close to the receiver.

Oh, I'm not arguing...if he's Ed Reed, **** yeah he's worth it...I'm just saying I dont know if he is.  He's a 1 year wonder.  That's high for a guy who's only done it once.  Those other guys you mentioned, ruled college Football for a few years.

I've debated this to no end so I want go too far into it with Lee but that's the perfect example of reaching for a need (I really dont care what the experts had him projected at) to fill a specific role and it back fired.  He was not a good use of a 1st round pick.  The difference between the 32nd MLB and 1st MLB in the league is maybe like 1 win a year.  That's why you take those guys in the later rounds.  Just look at the league leaders at MLB this year...only 1 was a 1st round pick.  

40 minutes ago, JiF said:

Packers late 1st rounder, Cowboys 4th rounder, Pats 6th rounder...Qb early is not important.

The cowboys got a dynamic running back and good Qb and went from 4 wins to where they ended up this year and the packers barely beat them. 

I'm not saying draft a Rb but the kind of reasoning you are using can be used for any position on the field.

55 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

That is 100% happening, followed by the resident blog reading experts fellating the pick through new threads, lecturing us on the genius of BAP strategy. If we're lucky, maybe they'll even cite some draft prospect metrics for us along with whatever pros and cons they've paraphrased from Walterfootball.com

Well, according to DVOA, OBP, and DMAFT analytics, drafting another DL if he's BPA in the NFLD is the best value/need Nexus. 

Science!

33 minutes ago, King P said:

He won't be though.

I'd take Takkarist McKinley or Dawuane Smoot in the 2nd though

On the basis that Bolles got the better of McKinley and Magnusson took Smoot completely out of the game I'd go with those guys. No chance Bolles is around by then though :(

17 minutes ago, JiF said:

I get what you're saying...I really do.  I want offense too but not a RB.  It's too easy of a positoin to fill and just doesnt have the impact other positions do.  

I think a lot of players could have done what Zeke did this year behind that OL and the play of Dak.  We dont have either.  sh*t, just look at Todd Gurley for example.  Dude was terrible this year and he was the darling of the NFL the year before. 

And dont get me wrong...I would be excited to watch Cook or Fournette but I dont think it's a smart use of a high pick. 

i waver on it too, but the more i watch this inept offense, it makes me want playmakers anywhere.  

with no qb, the jets could start rebuilding the offense by throwing $$ at the OL, getting a real TE and get a stud rb and get a running game going. 

the problem with continuing to take defensive players in the first round is that the team eventually becomes imbalanced.  the jets now actually have to get rid of a 1st round player in sheldon b/c they can't pay everyone, while they have imported most of the offense.  i like the wrs they're developing, it would be nice to draft a real TE.  

1 hour ago, Dinamite said:

Say the jets take a safety given the importance of the position in today's NFL and the fact that there are 2 really good prospects projected to go top 10.    Who do you go for and why?

Malik Hooker - S, Ohio State

Hooker is a tall, rangy safety prospect with incredible instincts. He usually lines up as the high safety and he has an uncanny ability to anticipate throws, drive on the ball, and finish. He is ultra-fluid in his change of direction and has the ability to match up with tight ends in man coverage. He has the best ball skills of any safety I've ever evaluated in college. He is also a threat to score every time he touches the ball. Against the run, he is quick to key, read and fill the alley. He does have some fly-by missed tackles, but overall he's reliable in this area. Hooker has the potential to be one of the league's best safeties very early in his NFL career.

Jamal Adams - S, LSU

Adams has ideal size, versatility, and explosiveness for the position. He lines up as both the high safety and in the box. Against the pass, he is at his best roaming underneath or matching up in the slot. He can range and make plays from the deep middle, but he's more valuable closer to the line of scrimmage. He doesn't have a lot of ball production but he provides a physical presence and delivers huge hits on opposing pass-catchers. He is at his best in run support. He is quick to key and explode to the alley. With outstanding range against the run, he makes a lot of plays from the opposite hash. He is a dynamic athlete, and I've been told his intangibles are off the charts. He will be a tone-setter for an NFL defense, and he's ready to play right away.

Hooker 

11 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Packers late 1st rounder, Cowboys 4th rounder, Pats 6th rounder...Qb early is not important.

The cowboys got a dynamic running back and good Qb and went from 4 wins to where they ended up this year and the packers barely beat them. 

I'm not saying draft a Rb but the kind of reasoning you are using can be used for any position on the field.

Meh, there's a ton of data out there that I'm too lazy to find but the odds of finding a franchise QB past the 1st or 2nd round are like really really low.  The odds of finding an elite RB after the 1st round, are like really really high. 

Just look at the 4 remaining teams.  3, 1st round picks and the anomaly of all anomalies.  Now do RB's, not a single 1st round pick.  Small sample size but keep going around the NFL.  Outside of Zeke not a single RB in the top 10 in yards was a 1st round pick.  You go to QB and there are 3 out of 10 werent selected in the 1st.  

Sure, Wilson and Dak and Brady say hi.  I get it.  But the odds are so low it's almost lottery like.  

5 minutes ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Besides for Harris, our personnel fit a 4-3 perfectly 

Eh?  I disagree with this.  Jordan Jenkins and Mauldin are both more 3-4 olbs.  Lee is more a 3-4 ilb imo.  The dline most likely yes but I think we have drafted 3-4 lbs.

4 hours ago, jack48 said:

we need a legit pass rusher more than anything.  Even great corners cannot cover forever.

Then pony up the dough and F-ing sign a proven elite pass rusher. There are plenty of them around the league. Just saying.  

17 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Then pony up the dough and F-ing sign a proven elite pass rusher. There are plenty of them around the league. Just saying.  

Not many of the impact ones are available.   The best ones from this coming year would probably be Chandler jones or nick perry

6 hours ago, Stark said:
Just for discussion.... 

nyj.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

6. New York Jets

**Marshon Lattimore, CB, Ohio State

1. Garrett

2. Trubisky (please don't make it to JETS)

3. J. Allen

4. J. Adams

5. Mike Williams.

it's still way too early to tell but a very good lock down corner will do wonders for the defense.  re-sign williams and hope that dennard can coach these guys and the secondary may be set.

2 hours ago, varjet said:

I agree with this about Lee 100%. So many of the catches he let up were just by his fingertips. If he can improve on his hand placement when defending the pass I think he could  turn into a pretty good player for us. 

Archived