Brian Winters Contract Details

JetNation

IMG_7847.jpg

We mentioned it the other day when it happened, the Jets signed Brian Winters to a 4-year contract. Daryl Slater provides a complete contract breakdown on NJ.com.

* Terms: four years, $29 million, $15 million guaranteed

* 2017: $1 million base salary (guaranteed), $7 million roster bonus (guaranteed), $8 million salary cap hit

* 2018: $7 million base salary (guaranteed), $7 million salary cap hit

* 2019: $6 million base salary, $500,000 per-game roster bonus, $6.5 million salary cap hit

* 2020: $7 million base salary, $500,000 per-game roster bonus, $7.5 million salary cap hit

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
bGmfGs6ZTSE

Click here to read the full story...

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the fact that Macc pretty much does not use signing bonuses.  So all cap hits are up front - there are none of these backend charges that prevent someone from being cut and/or lead to dead money.

It also makes it easy to think about the contract.  $8M guaranteed the 1st year, $7M guaranteed the 2nd year, and then nothing guaranteed after that.

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't get it?  The money doesn't go up in years 3 and 4.  Why couldn't we afford him?  It just means if/when he sucks or isn't worth it we can cut him in year 3 or 4 with no cap hit.

Oh, maybe I'm wrong then.  Doesn't 2019 net out to $6m salary + $500k per game x 16 games? 

58 minutes ago, JetNation said:

IMG_7847.jpg

We mentioned it the other day when it happened, the Jets signed Brian Winters to a 4-year contract. Daryl Slater provides a complete contract breakdown on NJ.com.

* 2017: $1 million base salary (guaranteed), $7 million roster bonus (guaranteed), $8 million salary cap hit

* 2019: $6 million base salary, $500,000 per-game roster bonus, $6.5 million salary cap hit

* 2020: $7 million base salary, $500,000 per-game roster bonus, $7.5 million salary cap hit

bGmfGs6ZTSE

if I understand those numbers  correctly, it is an awful contract .

For Brian Winters who must have been his own agent .

12 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

Oh, maybe I'm wrong then.  Doesn't 2019 net out to $6m salary + $500k per game x 16 games? 

You were trusting the Max synopsis.  The cap number shows that that $500K is the total bonus, not the per game, so it isn't an extra $8M a year.  I don't particularly like this deal because it seems like a lot of money and if they didn't know they were going to want the kid around in 2017 last offseason then i am not sure why they would fall in love off of a decent season ended on (another) season ending injury.  OTOH, it doesn't seem truly horrific and saves them from having another hole.  I would say C-. 

* Winters has a chance to earn a maximum of $500,000 in roster bonuses in both 2019 and 2020, if he plays in every game, because of that per-game roster bonus clause in his contract. That works out to $31,250 per game played. Winters has started 12, six, 10, and 13 games in his four seasons, but in his first and third seasons, he played in 16 games.

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

You were trusting the Max synopsis.  The cap number shows that that $500K is the total bonus, not the per game, so it isn't an extra $8M a year.  I don't particularly like this deal because it seems like a lot of money and if they didn't know they were going to want the kid around in 2017 last offseason then i am not sure why they would fall in love off of a decent season ended on (another) season ending injury.  OTOH, it doesn't seem truly horrific and saves them from having another hole.  I would say C-. 

* Winters has a chance to earn a maximum of $500,000 in roster bonuses in both 2019 and 2020, if he plays in every game, because of that per-game roster bonus clause in his contract. That works out to $31,250 per game played. Winters has started 12, six, 10, and 13 games in his four seasons, but in his first and third seasons, he played in 16 games.

this proves that there are literacy issues on this board.Either that or just plain laziness when it comes to reading.  I'll bet most thought the "per game" bonus was $500,000 per game, when it's actually a max of $500,000 in the aggregate.  Nobody bothered to read the details (underscored and bolded above.)

6 minutes ago, Dcat said:

this proves that there are literacy issues on this board.Either that or just plain laziness when it comes to reading.  I'll bet most thought the "per game" bonus was $500,000 per game, when it's actually a max of $500,000 in the aggregate.  Nobody bothered to read the details (underscored and bolded above.)

To be fair, the details were not in the OP, or even the click here to read the full story.  You had to go all the way and follow the instructions Max provided that Darryl Slater provided a full breakdown on nj.com.  That underscore and bold actually just means that I put up the link to Slater's piece.  Click on it. 

16 minutes ago, Dcat said:

The amount of pig-headed illiterate morons and uppity know-it-all Geriatrics who "witnessed Namath" here is too intolerable to bear on this board.

I try to avoid the offseason here until FA & The Draft, this board sucks during the offseason and is the DUMPS.

irony. 

Just now, Tinstar said:

Maybe I'm crazy, but doesn't the contract means that the Jets gave Winters 1 mil to find out if he's  worth keeping around . If he doesn't make the roster in that 1st year, then the rest of that contract is useless is it not ? 

You're crazy. 

1 hour ago, JetNation said:

* 2018: $7 million base salary (guaranteed), $7 million salary cap hitbGmfGs6ZTSE

He has a guaranteed roster bonus and two years of guaranteed salary.  $15M.  Even if he sucks.  Even if they cut him.  Besides, how are they going to suddenly "find out if he's worth keeping around" after 4 years?  They ******* A-well better know he was worth keeping around before giving him a deal that means he is starting RG through at least 2018.  

8 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

To be fair, the details were not in the OP, or even the click here to read the full story.  You had to go all the way and follow the instructions Max provided that Darryl Slater provided a full breakdown on nj.com.  That underscore and bold actually just means that I put up the link to Slater's piece.  Click on it. 

The first thing I did after opening the thread was read the entire actual article.  One would think everyone would do this before reacting.  But I forgot... this is JN, where reading is anything but fundamental. 

3 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

The amount of pig-headed illiterate morons and uppity know-it-all Geriatrics who "witnessed Namath" here is too intolerable to bear on this board.

I try to avoid the offseason here until FA & The Draft, this board sucks during the offseason and is the DUMPS.

HEY!  I watched Namath play.  I'm not yet social security eligible, I am in no way "uppity".  But you may have something there with the "know-it-all" comment.  B)

3 minutes ago, Dcat said:

The first thing I did after opening the thread was read the entire actual article.  One would think everyone would do this before reacting.  But I forgot... this is JN, where reading is anything but fundamental. 

:D A TRUE leap of faith.

Laziness, even in reading. 

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

You're crazy. 

He has a guaranteed roster bonus and two years of guaranteed salary.  $15M.  Even if he sucks.  Even if they cut him.  Besides, how are they going to suddenly "find out if he's worth keeping around" after 4 years?  They ******* A-well better know he was worth keeping around before giving him a deal that means he is starting RG through at least 2018.  

So what you're saying is his 2018 salary is guaranteed even if he doesn't make the roster in 2017  which would make his 7 mil in 2017 not guaranteed  ?  The way I approach this is with the knowledge that Winters is coming off Shoulder surgery and will need to make the roster for his 2017 guaranteed money to be effective . Is that wrong thinking ?

4 minutes ago, smaxor5 said:

This is a great contract.  No dead money bullsh*t after the first 2 years.  I cannot comprehend why a Jets fan wouldn't be ok with this, we have control and ways out.

I agree, for the Jets . Why is it great for Winters ?

Just now, Tinstar said:

So what you're saying is his 2018 salary is guaranteed even if he doesn't make the roster in 2017  which would make his 7 mil in 2017 not guaranteed  ?  The way I approach this is with the knowledge that Winters is coming off Shoulder surgery and will need to make the roster for his 2017 guaranteed money to be effective . Is that wrong thinking ?

Yes, that is wrong thinking.  The 2017 and 2018 salaries are guaranteed, as is the 2017 bonus. $15M guaranteed means guaranteed whether he makes the roster or not.  I guess there are some conditions (like arrest) where they can try to get the money back, but him sucking isn't going to be one of them. 

We overpaid.  The day after Mac took the GM job, he should have looked into his crystal ball, learned that Winters was going to show major improvement this year, and forced Winters to sign for far less than what an average veteran guard makes.  

F*cking Mac. Can't do anything right.

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Yes, that is wrong thinking.  The 2017 and 2018 salaries are guaranteed, as is the 2017 bonus. $15M guaranteed means guaranteed whether he makes the roster or not.  I guess there are some conditions (like arrest) where they can try to get the money back, but him sucking isn't going to be one of them. 

Thank you for taking the time.  I guess I just don't understand why you would give him 15 mil guaranteed and then say he has to be on the rooster for 7 mil of it to be guaranteed that 1st year .

Just now, Tinstar said:

Thank you for taking the time.  I guess I just don't understand why you would give him 15 mil guaranteed and then say he has to be on the rooster for 7 mil of it to be guaranteed that 1st year .

We don't have the full contract to read and the terminology can be confusing.  Typically, a roster bonus would be conditional on the player being on the roster at a specified date.  A guaranteed roster bonus is basically a signing bonus. The difference is that a signing bonus is prorated over the course of the contract.  The roster bonus counts for the year it is in.  If this were a signing bonus, the $7M would be split over the course of the deal and there would still be $3.5M in dead money if they cut him after 2018.  This way there is no dead money at that point, but we are paying more in 2017.  

I am not sure why they didn't simply make it guaranteed salary, but that may have something to do with the timing of the payments - I think the salary is paid out over the course of the season, while the bonus is paid by a set date (start of the league year in March, presumably).

In 2017, the contract has Winters getting a $1M salary, which means that it is paid out in 17 weekly installments (approximately $59,000 a week).  Since it is guaranteed, he will get the 17 weekly installments regardless of being on the roster.  The $7M roster bonus, which could come in different forms, is usually a one time payment made to the player.  Roster bonus is a generic term for a bonus that is provided when a certain criteria is met pertaining to the roster.  It could be dependent on being on the 53-man roster when week 1 starts, or it could be on the active 46 man roster by week 4, or being on the roster on the 7th day of the league year, it really depends on the contract. Once this criteria is met, the player is paid the bonus.  Either way he counts $8M against the cap, once this bonus is triggered (since it is a roster bonus and not a signing bonus).  

In 2018, the contract has him getting $8M in salary which again means he will be getting 17 weekly installments (approximately $470,588 a week).  Counts $7M against the cap.

In 2019, his contract lowers to $6M in salary and a $500,000 maximum roster bonus per game.  Again, the roster bonus, depends on how it is written, could be determined by him being on the active roster (not on IR).  If he were on IR, he would still collect the salary payment (approximately $352,941 per week) but not the (approximately $31,250 per game roster bonus).  The Jets would have the opportunity to cut him at any time in 2019 and only be on the hook for whatever they had already paid out.  For example, if he was on the roster for only 4 weeks they would pay him 4 x $352,941 and 4 x $31,250 = $1,536,764 cap hit in 2019.  If they were to cut him before the season $0 cap hit for 2019.

In 2020, the contract would be the same as 2019 except with a higher per week payment.

Overall, it looks like a 2 year deal at $8M a year.  In year 3 and 4, the Jets would have the option of keeping him around for a slightly lowered cost.  

Its good for the Jets that they are on the hook for only 2 years... but they are paying a top 5 price for the position.  

They will have the option to have Winters for 4-years (at a reasonable price in the latter 2 years of the contract)... but if he does well he will only be 29 at the end of the contract and could be looking for another big contract.

For Winters, he gets an almost guaranteed 2 years and top 5 money for his position... but after that he has no guarantees.

47 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

We overpaid.  The day after Mac took the GM job, he should have looked into his crystal ball, learned that Winters was going to show major improvement this year, and forced Winters to sign for far less than what an average veteran guard makes.  

I know you think it is a joke, but that is the job of the GM.  Projecting how a players will perform is his job.  I don't give a **** if he uses a crystal ball, but he'd better start doing a better job of it.

2 hours ago, JetNation said:

IMG_7847.jpg

bGmfGs6ZTSE

Half a mil "per-game" roster bonus is probably just $500k roster bonus. 

1 hour ago, sourceworx said:

well played

i don't claim to know a thing about the salary cap but now that the details are out it seems a lot better than was initially reported.  imo it's still a bit too high considering that winters knocked himself out of a couple of games with that silly head butt against a rams player (i think).  it's nice to have some nastiness and block until the whistle blows but not if it causes a penalty or worse.  but here he is and they have a rg for the next four seasons.

Archived