Mark Gastineau suffering from dementia, Alzheimers and Parkinson's disease (MERGED)

joewilly12

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 8:21 PM, Kleckineau said:

He certainly provided many highlight plays for us during his career. He is no angel. A flawed human like all of us.

God bless Mark. I hope he can manage his situation, get help and carry on and still enjoy life.

Please keep the high road haters.

Besides the Cleveland penalty with Kosar, there is little for Jet fans not to like about Mark Gastineau. Unlike the overpaid losers of todays NFL, Mark always played with fire and cared about winning above all else. I was always a big fan of his and wish him well, hoping they can treat his illnesses with todays modern medicines to help him live as normal a life as he can. Funny, we have seemingly been searching for his replacement since he retired.

Damn it, we as Jet fans could use some good news for a change instead of always negative, bad news. When will it change for us?

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/gastineau-defend-football-sport-isn-safe-kids-article-1.2951622 

Unbeknownst to any of us, Manish Mehta is a medical doctor in his spare time, or so he would have you believe.   The logic here-a roidhead who led with his head at every level and at every opportunity is now (sadly) paying a price later in life. Therefore, kids should not play Pop Warner.  Gastineau's other issues-alcoholism, PED and street drug abuse, genetics, boxing (!)-all played a role in his breakdown In fact, Mehta doesn't discuss that at all. Wish no ill on Gastineau, in fact wish medical science could help him.

Actually met Gastineau shortly after football was over inf briefly in the early 1990s .He was surprisingly approachable and down to earth, may be because life had humbled him a bit.  He was living in NYC and hanging out and working out locally. And even then the guy was obviously still using things he should not have been using. If you are going to talk about his impaired neurological state, you have to consider that as a significant factor. Mehta does not. 

I played Pop Warner,as did both my sons. As far back as  1975, NOBODY was allowed nor encouraged nor taught to lead with their head.In fact quite the contrary.And since the coaching has gotten way better and more sensitive to these issues.  Very few of these kids move fast enough to hurt themselves nor anyone else anyway. And flag is a good option, though kind of odd it's all about passing while Pop is about running.Either way the bulk of the injuries are pulled muscles or broken arms and legs, which can happen in any sport. 

WOuld say all kids should play a variety of sports before high school because HS coaches tend to want kids to stay with one sport. Best find out what your son or daughter likes or dislikes. And if you go to a school  with any decent academics it's very hard to have the time to play more than one varsity sport.  

No more scientific than the above drivel, but the kid in my family, my cousin's son, who sustained the most awful concussion injury did so while playing high school soccer goalie.

In short, idiots like Mehta want to bubblewrap your children.  

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/gastineau-defend-football-sport-isn-safe-kids-article-1.2951622 
Unbeknownst to any of us, Manish Mehta is a medical doctor in his spare time, or so he would have you believe.   The logic here-a roidhead who led with his head at every level and at every opportunity is now (sadly) paying a price later in life. Therefore, kids should not play Pop Warner.  Gastineau's other issues-alcoholism, PED and street drug abuse, genetics, boxing (!)-all played a role in his breakdown In fact, Mehta doesn't discuss that at all. Wish no ill on Gastineau, in fact wish medical science could help him.
Actually met Gastineau shortly after football was over inf briefly in the early 1990s .He was surprisingly approachable and down to earth, may be because life had humbled him a bit.  He was living in NYC and hanging out and working out locally. And even then the guy was obviously still using things he should not have been using. If you are going to talk about his impaired neurological state, you have to consider that as a significant factor. Mehta does not. 
I played Pop Warner,as did both my sons. As far back as  1975, NOBODY was allowed nor encouraged nor taught to lead with their head.In fact quite the contrary.And since the coaching has gotten way better and more sensitive to these issues.  Very few of these kids move fast enough to hurt themselves nor anyone else anyway. And flag is a good option, though kind of odd it's all about passing while Pop is about running.Either way the bulk of the injuries are pulled muscles or broken arms and legs, which can happen in any sport. 
WOuld say all kids should play a variety of sports before high school because HS coaches tend to want kids to stay with one sport. Best find out what your son or daughter likes or dislikes. And if you go to a school  with any decent academics it's very hard to have the time to play more than one varsity sport.  
No more scientific than the above drivel, but the kid in my family, my cousin's son, who sustained the most awful concussion injury did so while playing high school soccer goalie.

I completely understand your point and agree, but you're also pointing out your singular experience as some sort of counterpoint of proof otherwise. Are you a doctor?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

So sad to hear this. Mark was a fearless warrior.  He was the essence of the Sack Exchange. He led a convulted life but after football seemed to mellow.  I recall how he was rooting for Strahan to break his sack record, which we all know was a farce. Mark still holds that record in my eyes. But it was a classy selfless gesture on his part. Life definitely humbled him and he learned some difficult lessons at a cost but has grown from it in ways not apparent to some. Isn't that what life's about. 

1 hour ago, Snell41 said:

I completely understand your point and agree, but you're also pointing out your singular experience as some sort of counterpoint of proof otherwise. Are you a doctor?

No, I am not. I admit  my generalizations about  Mark Gastineau are no more reliable nor unreliable than anyone else's, even if they work as a sportswriter.But we do know a lot about him, and if you are going to ask we ban Pop Warner because of this one guy, you need to state facts to support such an argument. CTE is serious business,and no doubt football played a significant role in Gastineau's diagnosis. But in Gastineau's case Mehta ignores a great deal about his lifestyle, points the finger at youth football  and then goes on to say  that we should ban youth football.  That simply is completely unsupported by these facts about 1 guy. In fact nowhere does it say Gastineau ever played Pop Warner. 

1 hour ago, faba said:

I am not going to speculate on someone medical conditions - feel sorry if mark is in this unfortunate state. Why would anyone question why we should take precautions on anyone playing sports/football

Would note the article shows kids wearing the helmet pads that now everyone up to high school seniors now wear in every practice. Which again shows Mehta knows almost nothing about the thing he wants banned, nor the precautions they are now required to take to be insured. 

No, I am not. I admit  my generalizations about  Mark Gastineau are no more reliable nor unreliable than anyone else's, even if they work as a sportswriter.But we do know a lot about him, and if you are going to ask we ban Pop Warner because of this one guy, you need to state facts to support such an argument. CTE is serious business,and no doubt football played a significant role in Gastineau's diagnosis. But in Gastineau's case Mehta ignores a great deal about his lifestyle, points the finger at youth football  and then goes on to say  that we should ban youth football.  That simply is completely unsupported by these facts about 1 guy. In fact nowhere does it say Gastineau ever played Pop Warner. 

I appreciate the fair response. Mehta definitely slants the article ridiculously unfairly. He's a hack. As to pop warner and HS football, I think it warrants much further study, the problem is CTE can only be diagnosed at death. And if you found evidence in a man who was no a pro football player, how could you possibly undoubtedly attest it to football vs the countless times in life where you smack your head into something. But With the knowledge of CTE, and the knowledge that it happens from repeated blows to the head, I can certainly understand a parents fear. I have an 8 year old boy. I'm relieved he hasn't shown interest in playing football. If he ever wants to I'm completely conflicted on whether I would be ok with it.

32 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

I appreciate the fair response. Mehta definitely slants the article ridiculously unfairly. He's a hack. As to pop warner and HS football, I think it warrants much further study, the problem is CTE can only be diagnosed at death. And if you found evidence in a man who was no a pro football player, how could you possibly undoubtedly attest it to football vs the countless times in life where you smack your head into something. But With the knowledge of CTE, and the knowledge that it happens from repeated blows to the head, I can certainly understand a parents fear. I have an 8 year old boy. I'm relieved he hasn't shown interest in playing football. If he ever wants to I'm completely conflicted on whether I would be ok with it.

If he does show interest there are a lot of flag programs. In fact locally the organization that still runs Pop Warner has a flag program for younger kids. But if not that's fine too. It's not for everyone, and being not only allowed but encouraged to hit someone and getting hit  is a decision you have to make on your own. I'm glad I did and my sons did, but that's us. 

One thing the NFL and college can and should change tomorrow-lead with your head, 15 yards, 2nd time 15 more yards and an ejection. Too many times you see idiot defenders trying to put a big hit with their helmet when they could simply reach out or wrap up or body tackle. It's not only dangerous it's usually a bad play because you are less likely to stop a runner anyway than you would with your center of mass. 

3 hours ago, Bugg said:

The New York Daily News was a great paper at one time, currently it is nothing more than a rag sheet.

10 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Very Sad, he was one of my first Jets Hero's with Freeman McNeil, Joe Klecko, and Wes Walker. 

Those were great years and rooting for the sack exchange was so much fun.

when men were men playing this game.  He was and will always be a great NY JET. 

Young kids have no idea how much fun it was having those teams.   

Archived