Trump Sends Woody To U.K.; Makes Jets Great Again

Squirt

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gonna leave this open, but please let's leave politics out of this. Plenty of places to discuss that, we don't want people fighting here.

This is really good news though, if this is definitely true, getting Woody out of the day to day is big. Think about it, Woody talks to Bowles every week. What a waste of time. Let's say that talk is one hour (I have no idea). Bowles probably spends 3X that amount of time just expressing disbelief to his inner circle.

Can you believe that Woody asked ____? Or that Woody actually suggested ___?

Freeing Bowles up from these conversations can't hurt. Freeing the organization up from Woody's control can't hurt.

Same goes for Macc. Let's get a true head of football operations in here.

2 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Gonna leave this open, but please let's leave politics out of this. Plenty of places to discuss that, we don't want people fighting here.

This is really good news though, if this is definitely true, getting Woody out of the day to day is big. Think about it, Woody talks to Bowles every week. What a waste of time. Let's say that talk is one hour (I have no idea). Bowles probably spends 3X that amount of time just expressing disbelief to his inner circle.

Freeing Bowles up from these conversations can't hurt. Freeing the organization up from Woody's control can't hurt.

It sounds good, but then I see James Dolan hiring Phil Jackson for the same purpose and...

1 minute ago, Maxman said:

This is great news for the Jets and allows Woody a face-saving way to remove himself from day-to-day football operations.  He can tell his buddies that he had a plan, it was all under control, the Jets were on the way to the Super Bowl, but Country called and he needed to serve.

But this all works if he puts a Coughlin (we missed that) or someone reputable overseeing Bowles and Macc.  But Christropher, his brother?  Who is that?  How can he know as much as Woody about football?  Has he been involved with the team?  Could anyone you know even identify him in a lineup?

When I heard that, assuming its true, I knew Woody was even more messed up than we thought he was.

2 minutes ago, JOJOTOWNSELL said:

although his qualifications for his new post are questionable this can only mean good things for the day to day operations of the Jets

this is as close to "firing the owner" you will ever see!!

Hm... perhaps Donny is a Jet fan and wanted to help the team?

3 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Hm... perhaps Donny is a Jet fan and wanted to help the team?

A TRUE Jets fan & STH who took matters into his own hands by firing, in essence, the meddling owner by banishing him to the isolated Isle of Britannia - ala George Steinbrenner's ban that allowed Gene Michaels to flourish the 90's Golden Era in the Bronx. 

:D Good times a comin' BACK to the NY Jets

KFg8HDvs.jpg

5 minutes ago, JOJOTOWNSELL said:

although his qualifications for his new post are questionable this can only mean good things for the day to day operations of the Jets

this is as close to "firing the owner" you will ever see!!

This happens a lot, elected Presidents appoint prominent supporters to ambassadorships. I don't think it's a good practice but everyone does it. Obama made the owner of the Steelers Dan Rooney ambassador to Ireland.

I'm somewhat thrilled by this as it means the Jets will get some different leadership for a few years without Woody possibly screwing things up.

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

The Yankees figured it out when George was put on time out. Do the Jets do the same or put Fredo's even more useless brother in charge? This is a turning point for the franchise.

Even if the brother is put in charge, will he be more hands off? That would be an improvement

I guess I really have no idea but this feels like it has a minimal impact... But who knows? I mean I know there's a feeling that he's way too involved and calling too many shots, but I feel like that's been less of a concern in the last 2-3 years.

But hey who knows? We'll see what happens.

Trump hints New York Jets owner Woody Johnson will be US envoy to UK

_93671406_gettyimages-622490616.jpg

President-elect Donald Trump appears to have picked NFL tycoon Woody Johnson to be US ambassador to the UK

President Trump introduced the New York Jets owner as "the ambassador Woody Johnson, going to Saint James", during a luncheon in Washington. 

The 69-year-old billionaire philanthropist and heir of the Johnson & Johnson pharmaceutical giant has known President Trump for many years.

But he originally backed Trump rival Jeb Bush in the Republican primary.

"Congratulations, Woody," said President Trump in the presidential ballroom of Trump International hotel in Washington DC, on the eve of his swearing in as the 45th US president. 

The plum diplomatic appointment - known formally as Ambassador of the United States to the Court of St James - has not yet been formally announced. 

The people around Donald Trump

Who is Woody? - Anthony Zurcher, BBC News, Washington

Although :(he's probably best known as the owner of the long-suffering New York Jets American football team:(, Johnson is quite familiar in conservative circles, having contributed millions of dollars to Republican causes. 

Like many big-money donors, Johnson was an early supporter of Governor Jeb Bush's presidential campaign - and was once cited by Donald Trump as an example of how the former Florida governor was in the thrall of big-money interests. President Trump even fired off a tweet mocking the Jets' lack of postseason success.

The heir to the pharmaceutical and consumer products company Johnson & Johnson threw his support behind President Trump when it was clear he would be the party's nominee, however. He then served as a loyal fundraiser and adviser during the general election campaign.

It looks like that move will pay off with one of the top ambassadorships - a prize that is traditionally given to only the most prolific donors or best-connected political insiders. 

With an NFL owner in the Court of St James, can a new team in London be far behind?:o:unsure::angry:

2 hours ago, nyjunc said:

good for Woody, congrats to him.

Your congratulating him, why exactly?  He did nothing to deserve this.  This is obviously a quid pro quo situation. 

Woody donated to a campaign... and he is being rewarded for no other reason besides that.

The reason it is England, is because they are an ally, he wont have to do anything, and I doubt Woody can speak another language.

If you ever post something that I agree with, it might be the first time.

Archived