3 problems with VIc Beasley on the Jets

UnitedWhofans

Connor Rogers brought up the Beasley-Richardson angle again today, so I should just say that I have 3 issues with Vic Beasley being drafted instead of Leonard Williams.

1. The Falcons run a 4-3 defense. We run a 3-4. So there is a question of whether Beasley would fit into our system. This might not be an issue at the end of the day, but it is a problem.

2. Sheldon Richardson was on thin ice because of his off the field antics, so he was at risk for suspension. Which in this case, would mean that Beasley would be one of our LBers and we would only have Snacks (who doesn't pass rush) and WIlkerson on the line. Maybe this would have worked, but it turned out that drafting Williams was a blessing in disguise.

3. What has Vic Beasley done for the Falcons defense as a whole? The Falcons defense allowed only 3 fewer points than the Jets defense all year. His numbers are very good, but his impact has been minimal. Also he wasn't really present in the playoff game against Seattle. I can argue that Mercilus was a more impactful player for Houston than Beasley for Atlanta. If you took Vic Beasley off the Falcons, I think it would have the same impact as taking Leonard Williams off the Jets.

The Jets do not run a 3-4, they do not run a 4-3 they run a 'I am the smartest guy on earth  hybrid defense that constantly puts players in positions to fail rather than succeed.

We had this with REx and we have it with Bowles.  Some of the best defenses pick a system, stick with it 3-4 or 4-3 get the players to fit that system and let them succeed.

If the Jets had Beasley he would be dropping into coverage and 'setting the edge' instead of being green lighted to hunt the Qb.

7 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

You and I are not that obtuse.

Don't drag me into you're Obtuseness. My eyes work fine, and what I see tells me what's going on. Leo's a  nice player, but he's not a dominant Pass rusher, well not yet.

You must have used the Tardis to come from an alternative Universe, where the Jets are actually good, and Brady Flips Burgers, because Mo Lewis never took out Drew Bledsoe.

Just now, BurnleyJet said:

Don't drag me into you're Obtuseness. My eyes work fine, and what I see tells me what's going on. Leo's a  nice player, but he's not a dominant Pass rusher, well not yet.

I'm not disagreeing with you. What I am saying is that I think, given that the defenses ended up so closely ranked together that Beasley and Williams may bring similar value to their defenses, outside of stats.

3 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I'm not disagreeing with you. What I am saying is that I think, given that the defenses ended up so closely ranked together that Beasley and Williams may bring similar value to their defenses, outside of stats.

Not really a fan of this logic. That's like saying Tyrod Taylor is more valuable than Russell Wilson because Buffalo averaged more points per game than Seattle.

Just now, dbatesman said:

another thing for you sheeple to consider: people like Williams and think he is good which means no one is allowed to say we should of taken Beasley instead. If you do its a classic Beasley's Fallacy

- Besaley would be a wasted pick with how the jets play defense.

- There was almost ZERO roar to take Beasley over Williams at the time of the draft.

- GFY for tossing out insults in each of your posts.

3 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Meant Leonard Williams. My bad.

Gotcha.  It was still the right decision if you ask me.

Beasley has one job and he gets the benefit of playing with a lead too. 

I'll admit though, I was dead wrong.  Kid can ball and I didnt think he was going to be much. 

Still think Williams has the better overall career. 

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

Gotcha.  It was still the right decision if you ask me.

Beasley has one job and he gets the benefit of playing with a lead too. 

I'll admit though, I was dead wrong.  Kid can ball and I didnt think he was going to be much. 

Still think Williams has the better overall career. 

I mean they are both great young players. Why do we have to feel the need to pick one over the other? If Williams sucked, I could understand it. But he's a great young player. Why make it an issue at all?

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I mean they are both great young players. Why do we have to feel the need to pick one over the other? If Williams sucked, I could understand it. But he's a great young player. Why make it an issue at all?

I agree. This is kind of silly. Furthermore, there is absolutely no way to now for sure (at least right now) who is the better player or which will be the better player. These guys were drafted to different teams and are used differently. I mean, people can argue about these things all they want. I just think its silly.

I will say that the only merit for this topic is that the Jets needed a pass rusher and would have probably taken Beasley if L.Williams did not fall to #6 overall. But again, who knows.  

26 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Because we had a glut at one position and a gaping, decade-long need at the other?

12 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Besides, given their play last year, do we really have a glut?

Absolutely no one is diminishing Williams, who looks like a cornerstone player for the next decade. He also isn't a pass rusher, which we've needed since 2006.

24 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Besides, given their play last year, do we really have a glut?

At the time we did, but Maccagnan resigned Wilkerson and kept Richardson around long enough to completely show his ass, thus turning two assets into toxic waste. So yeah, I guess we don't have a glut anymore.

7 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Connor Rogers brought up the Beasley-Richardson angle again today, so I should just say that I have 3 issues with Vic Beasley being drafted instead of Leonard Williams.

1. The Falcons run a 4-3 defense. We run a 3-4. So there is a question of whether Beasley would fit into our system. This might not be an issue at the end of the day, but it is a problem.

2. Sheldon Richardson was on thin ice because of his off the field antics, so he was at risk for suspension. Which in this case, would mean that Beasley would be one of our LBers and we would only have Snacks (who doesn't pass rush) and WIlkerson on the line. Maybe this would have worked, but it turned out that drafting Williams was a blessing in disguise.

3. What has Vic Beasley done for the Falcons defense as a whole? The Falcons defense allowed only 3 fewer points than the Jets defense all year. His numbers are very good, but his impact has been minimal. Also he wasn't really present in the playoff game against Seattle. I can argue that Mercilus was a more impactful player for Houston than Beasley for Atlanta. If you took Vic Beasley off the Falcons, I think it would have the same impact as taking Leonard Williams off the Jets.

1. We've run a hybrid of 3-4/4-3 almost the entire year. Our scheme isn't the issue.

2. We haven't had a pure pass rushing LB in forever. We had Mo and Sheldon on the line along with McClendon. Line wasn't an issue. We picked up Williams and now we had 4 DL starters. So much for a 3-4 team. 

3. What Vic has done for the Falcons D is huge. Just because they haven't been 10 points better than the Jets doesn't mean Vic isn't as valuable. Vic would've improved our D by 3 points a game. That's huge considering who he was to replace (Leo). 

4. Vic led the league in sacks. Not sure if you need anything else to prove how impactful 16 sacks and 6 forced fumbles are. Considering the Jets front 7 had 25 sacks (18 in the last 15 games) and 6 forced fumbles as a whole, I'd think Vic had a monstrous season. 

Archived