January's Mock Draft - PK edition

Patriot Killa

In this mock draft I will feature scenarios for trade options ... I tried to double down on some positions and create depth where we don't have any.

NYJ finally pull the trigger on a trade involving Sheldon Richardson for the Dallas Cowboys 3rd round pick. Selection #92

1st round - 

Jets are on the clock, but can't find value in using the #6th pick on anyone that is left on the board. They trade down to the Browns for the #12 pick.

#12 - Dalvin Cook, RB, FSU

2nd round -

OJ Howard, TE, Alabama  

3rd round -

Fabian Moreua, CB, UCLA

Kendall Beckwith, LB, LSU

4th round(compensatory pick) -

Marcus Williams, S, Utah

5th round -

John Heck, OL, UNC

6th round -

Forrest Lamp, OT, Western Kentucky

7th round -

Bryan Cox, Edge rusher, Florida.

I could see one of the late pickers in Round 1 nabbing OJ Howard, namely the Cowboys with Witten getting up there in age (especially with your trade scenario which covers one of Dallas's needs for an edge rusher)

Cook at #12 is a solid pick.

8 minutes ago, Andrej The Giant said:

I could see one of the late pickers in Round 1 nabbing OJ Howard, namely the Cowboys with Witten getting up there in age (especially with your trade scenario which covers one of Dallas's needs for an edge rusher)

Cook at #12 is a solid pick.

Very possible. It's a deep tight end draft though so if OJ isn't there, I would still be happy with grabbing a tight end some where between the 2nd - 5th round.

6 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Very possible. It's a deep tight end draft though so if OJ isn't there, I would still be happy with grabbing a tight end some where between the 2nd - 5th round.

There are some good ones, for sure. Leggett from Clemson was awesome in the NC game. Louisville had a pretty decent TE this year I believe that probably projects somewhere within the 3-5 range. Butt from Michigan was jostling for the first TE off the board before that knee injury. Now not so sure.

Sorry, but I am going to be one of those guys who posts their own mock on your mock thread. lol. Sorry. ;)

I have been proposing this trade for some time time. It simply seems to make sense. The Browns take Garrett #1 overall (the clear top prospect) but they still need a QB and you can imagine at least ONE of the top 3 QBs will be taken in the top 5 (either by CHI or SF). The Jets may very well be looking at the QB position as well. So it behoove the Browns (if their QB is still on the board at 6) to trade with the Jets. And the Browns def. have the ammo to move up. Why wouldn't the Browns just take a QB #1 overall. Well, everyone has attested that the QB class this year simply has no sure-fire NFL starters.And passing on a talent like Garrett- easily one of the top 3 prospects in the draft, would be a mistake.  

I think in this trade the Jets would get the Browns 2nd round pick (top pick in second round) and a 3rd or 4th next year. That is what I would ask for. 

At 6 I would have simply gone for Fournette. BPA pick, game changer, elite talent. 

At 12 I have a new player I have been very high on lately- Sidney Jones- CB, Washington. It may seem like a reach, he could very well slide to the 20s. But he is the most polished man-cover CB coming out of college and his uncanny ball skills and ability to stick to WRs stands out. He's a play-maker and simply has the 'IT' factor. He may not be the top CB taken in the draft but I think he will end up being the best NFL CB from this draft.

That would be my pick at 12, simply b/c he will not fall out of the first round and I see him as an immediate starter and lock down CB in the near future for the Jets.

In the second round, with the top pick (via Browns) I am going to go with another player that is unlikely to be there but MAY fall. Ryan Ramzcyk- OT, Wisconsin. Surgery will keep him out of the combine and pro days. His recovery will be a big ? for scouts. If he weren't one of the top, most polished, versatile O-linemen coming out this year (who happens to play LT), he would probably fall out of the 2nd round. But he is and even with the injury can go anywhere between the late teens and early 2nd round. So let's assume the Jets get lucky and he falls. If so, I'm taking him with the first pick in the 2nd round.   

Now the Jets get to select another player early in the 2nd round, which is why trading down with the browns was so critical.

Having addressed two critical positions I would have dipped back for for another young, talented O-lineman Quenton Nelson- G, Notre Dame. Easily the top OG in the draft, Nelson is a beast and could step right in at RG. He would be worth taking early in the 2nd round. But with the recent signing of Winters, this pick doesn't make sense. So now I would pivot and go after a Pass Rusher. Hard to tell who will be on the board before the combine. Tim Williams will certainly rise after the combine, despite his off field issues. And although talented, he is very raw. Solomon Thomas will probably go late in the 1st round. But I'm going to go with Charles Harris- 3-4 OLB, Missouri. Physical, explosive pass rusher that can set the edge. Very disruptive, this is the type of guy the Jets need setting the edge and putting pressure on the QB. Jenkins and Mauldin are still ? marks, so the Jets need to continue looking for pass rushing talent in the draft, and those players go early, so I have them taking one in the 2nd round with their 3rd selection. He could very well also be a BPA type of pick. Some have him going in the first round.    

I've had this guy on my radar for a while. Jordan Leggett- TE, Clemson. I don't think the combine will help him as much as some of the other athletic TEs in this draft. So I would not be surprised if he slid out of the 2nd round and was there early in the 3rd for the Jets. Although, as mentioned, not as fast and athletic as some of the other TE's in this draft. Leggett has soft hands, good size and most importantly is a solid blocker and can develop into a 3 down TE. The Jets have not had a guy like that in ages and paired with Enunwa, Leggett could develop into a great safety valve for whatever QB the Jets bring out in 2017. 

In the 4th (assuming a comp pick). I would go back to addressing the secondary. Tough to tell who is there is the 4th at S but Obi Melifonwu- S, Conn. is a raw prospect with elite talent that teams are very likely to pass on in the first 3 rounds jut b/c he may not be able to produce on day one. But I think this makes sense for the Jets, especially if they want to give Pryor another shot before bailing on the 1st round pick, if they keep Gilchrist on rather than cutting him (which is what I think they will do) and if they want to see how Middleton has developed. So the Jets take a gamble on an elite talent with great size, strength and speed who is considerably raw in the 4th round.

5th round. Tough to tell who will be there. I have to go back to addressing the O-line. Jon Toth- C, Kentucky is one of the top C prospects b/c of his size and strength and production. He would be a solid selection in the 5th round and I don;t doubt he will be availabel there. So I'm going with Mangold's future replacement in the 5th round. 

Rounds 6 and 7 are typically for talented players with injury issues, talented players with character issues, special teams players, small school prospects or developmental players (particularly O-line/D-line). In the 6th round, I have the Jets taking a developmental small school OT in Jerry Ugokwe- OT, William and Mary. at 6'7, 318, wide frame and long arms, Ugokwe has the prototypical size you look for in an OT. He has a number of things he needs to work on before he can prove he can play at the NFL level, but the raw talent is there. In round 6, this is a low risk selection. 

In Round 7, with WR being such a deep position, I have the Jets getting a nice late round WR prospect in Jamari Staples- WR, Louisville (last year they toook Peake in the 7th). He has great athleticism and size. He was not as productive as he could have been at Louisville, in part b/c of Lamar Jacksons electric running ability as a QB. There's not much to go off other than potential and he has plenty. Boom or bust pick late in the draft. 6'-3, long arms, good speed, great athleticism, needs to learn how to be a productive receiver but is a size mismatch for most CBs and a great red zone target.  

Rd. 1: trade down- pick 12: Sidney Jones- CB, Washington

Rd. 2 (via Browns): Ryan Ramzcyk- OT, Wisconsin

Rd. 2: Charles Harris- 3-4 OLB, Missouri

Rd. 3: Jordan Leggett- TE, Clemson

Rd. 4: Obi Melifonwu- S, Conn

Rd. 5: Jon Toth- C, Kentucky

Rd. 6: Jerry Ugokwe- OT, William and Mary

Rd. 7: Jamari Staples- WR, Louisville

Cheers. 

On 1/21/2017 at 9:34 PM, Andrej The Giant said:

There are some good ones, for sure. Leggett from Clemson was awesome in the NC game. Louisville had a pretty decent TE this year I believe that probably projects somewhere within the 3-5 range. Butt from Michigan was jostling for the first TE off the board before that knee injury. Now not so sure.

I think this list from CBSsports is pretty accurate. The only thin I would say is that a lot of the more athletic, speedy, 'receiving' TEs will probably boost their stock in the combine. And I also think Hikutini will go much higher than the 6th round. But otherwise, hard to argue with this list.    

19 O.J. Howard TE 1 Alabama Sr 6-6 251 1
29 David Njoku TE 2 Miami (Fla.) rSo 6-4 240 1-2
61 Bucky Hodges TE 3 Virginia Tech rJr 6-6 245 2
73 Jordan Leggett TE 4 Clemson Sr 6-5 258 2-3
88 Gerald Everett TE 5 South Alabama rSr 6-3 240 3
108 Adam Shaheen TE 6 Ashland rJr 6-5 277 3-4
116 Jake ButtInjured TE 7 Michigan Sr 6-5 250 3-4
148 Jeremy Sprinkle TE 8 Arkansas rSr 6-5 256 4-5
164 Billy Brown TE 9 Shepherd rSr 6-3 254 5
172 Michael Roberts TE 10 Toledo Sr 6-4 259 5
179 Eric Saubert TE 11 Drake rSr 6-5 247 5-6
205 Cole Hikutini TE 12 Louisville Sr 6-4 248 6
211 Blake Jarwin TE 13 Oklahoma State rSr 6-5 244 6
235 Hayden Plinke TE 14 Texas-El Paso rSr 6-4 258 6-7
250 Cethan Carter TE 15 Nebraska Sr 6-3 234 7
280 George Kittle TE 16 Iowa rSr 6-4 250 7-FA
298 Jonnu SmithInjured TE 17 Florida International Sr 6-3 232 7-FA
312 Scott Orndoff TE 18 Pittsburgh Sr 6-5 254 7-FA
324 Darrell Daniels TE 19 Washington Sr 6-3 254 7-FA
342 Antony Auclair TE 20 Laval Sr 6-6 256 7-FA

13 hours ago, Stark said:

Did i just miss something. We moved back to 12 overall, but did not receive anything in this draft in return? Did we get a 1 next year in draft? or at least a couple picks later in draft?

Yeah, but I was too lazy to calcite draft pick worth and make a good estimate so I just rolled with it.? You can say we got something next year.

12 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Yeah, but I was too lazy to calcite draft pick worth and make a good estimate so I just rolled with it.? You can say we got something next year.

ok, i kept looking at that list expecting to see us with another draft pick in 2nd or 3rd at least...

Archived