George Seifert

TuscanyTile2

I knew he won a Superbowl as HC of the 49ers in 1994 but I had forgotten he also won in 1989.  When you think "2 time Superbowl winning HC's", you think of the all-time greats.  I don't think George Seifert would jump into the minds of most football fans though.  Yet look at his records year in and year out w/ the 49ers.  In his 8 years there, in addition to 2 Superbowl titles, he finished 1st 6 times.  He won 13 or more games 4 times (half his tenure!).  In his worst season he won 10 games.  Also check out his amazing coaching tree.  Yet does anyone think of the guy as an all-time great?  Maybe because he had Joe Montana, Steve Young, Jerry Rice, etc.

Now remind me again why Dan Quinn is so amazing?

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/SeifGe0.htm

George Seifert.JPG

George Seifert - Coaching Tree.JPG

The only reason why Seifert did not win more titles was because of the Cowboys and Jimmie Johnson. Of course a lot of folks will say whoever had Deion Sanders was the one who was going to the Super Bowl that year. I guess it was true as well. When the Cowboys had him they won the right to go to the Super Bowl. The one time the Niners had him they went to the big game. Seifert was a great coach that carried on Bill Walsh's legacy. Walsh was the inventor of the West Coast Offense and Seifert was a great student of it. An underrated coach who does not get his due.

1 minute ago, JetFaninMI said:

Walsh was the inventor of the West Coast Offense and Seifert was a great student of it.

Seifert was the Niners defensive coordinator under Walsh. That is why he had Holmgren, Walsh's best student, as his OC. 

What people never gave Seifert enough credit for was his defenses. The 89 Niners were ridiculous on D. They are the best defense no one ever talks about, featuring two future Hall of Famers in Charles Haley and Ronnie Lott. 

11 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

The only reason why Seifert did not win more titles was because of the Cowboys and Jimmie Johnson. Of course a lot of folks will say whoever had Deion Sanders was the one who was going to the Super Bowl that year. I guess it was true as well. When the Cowboys had him they won the right to go to the Super Bowl. The one time the Niners had him they went to the big game. Seifert was a great coach that carried on Bill Walsh's legacy. Walsh was the inventor of the West Coast Offense and Seifert was a great student of it. An underrated coach who does not get his due.

How did he do in Carolina?

4 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I knew he won a Superbowl as HC of the 49ers in 1994 but I had forgotten he also won in 1989.  When you think "2 time Superbowl winning HC's", you think of the all-time greats.  I don't think George Seifert would jump into the minds of most football fans though.  Yet look at his records year in and year out w/ the 49ers.  In his 8 years there, in addition to 2 Superbowl titles, he finished 1st 6 times.  He won 13 or more games 4 times (half his tenure!).  In his worst season he won 10 games.  Also check out his amazing coaching tree.  Yet does anyone think of the guy as an all-time great?  Maybe because he had Joe Montana, Steve Young, Jerry Rice, etc.

Now remind me again why Dan Quinn is so amazing?

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/SeifGe0.htm

George Seifert.JPG

George Seifert - Coaching Tree.JPG

Only useful info I got from this post was maybe the Jets should look into hiring Trestman as OC, and Greg Knapp as QB coach.

41 minutes ago, jmat321 said:

Seifert ruined his legacy in Carolina.  Made people look back and say that he just rode Walsh's coattails and didn't beat the cowboys enough.

agree with that one.  a lot of coaches make their names with one team and fail when move or had failed from where they came from.  the other thing about seiffert is he coached before the new salary cap kicked in.  right after he left the 49ers the rules changed and bartolo could no longer stockpile and sign players to ridiculous salaries.  they were put in a seriously bad cap hell with took them ove 10 years to get out of.

9 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Only useful info I got from this post was maybe the Jets should look into hiring Trestman as OC, and Greg Knapp as QB coach.

Also bring Aaron Kromer on as the RB coach while also working directly with the OL coach.

9 hours ago, Klecko73isGod said:

Seifert was the Niners defensive coordinator under Walsh. That is why he had Holmgren, Walsh's best student, as his OC. 

What people never gave Seifert enough credit for was his defenses. The 89 Niners were ridiculous on D. They are the best defense no one ever talks about, featuring two future Hall of Famers in Charles Haley and Ronnie Lott. 

True enough. My mistake. Seifert was still a great coach who did not get his due.

George Seifert was a damn good football coach who remains criminally underrated and should have already had his bust in Canton. The fact that Tony Dungy got inducted before him, Jimmy Johnson, and Tom Flores is absolutely mind-boggling and just plain stupid IMHO. and stupid IMHO.

As for the idiots that like to argue that he simply rode Walsh's coat-tails and thus his success is tainted, go ask Islanders fans just how difficult it is to find someone even halfway competent as the late great Al Arbour since he retired... both times.

Archived