Reliving Dec. 30th, 2007 -- Kansas City Chiefs at New York Jets

ZachEY

Jets Fans -- I thought today would be a good day to relive a great victory in Jets history.

On December 30th, 2007, sitting at 3-12, the New York Jets played host to the 4-11 Kansas City Chiefs.

The Jets struck first, early in the second quarter, with a Kellen Clemens pass to Thomas Jones for a 15 yard TD score!

The Chiefs came back with a FG and just before the half, the Jets answered with a field goal of their own, ending the first half at 10-3.

The third quarter was scoreless, as was most of the 4th, until with 3 minutes left, Brodie Croyle hits Jeff Webb for a 26-yard TD score...

The game would head to overtime, when with 9:47 left in the sudden death period, Jets Kicker Mike Nugent lined up for a 43-yard FG for the win.

And here it is, the game winner:

And just like that, the Jets would end their season on a win, finishing at 4-12.

I'm hoping other people can share their memories of this important win in Jets history!!!!!

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, peebag said:

Thanks for the memory F*ckface.

When my wife asks me why I always go onto JetNation, I tell her it's because there's a special bond, a certain camaraderie, that Jets fans have with each other. She doesn't get it. She doesn't see the love we all have for each other.

It's still the Jets.  Even if they were to have lost, they probably either would have passed on Ryan, he would have sucked for the Jets, or they would have let him walk after they screwed him up early in his career, before he went on to success elsewhere.

Anyone thinking there was a real possibility for a positive outcome for the Jets must be new.

1 minute ago, Bleedin Green said:

It's still the Jets.  Even if they were to have lost, they probably either would have passed on Ryan, he would have sucked for the Jets, or they would have let him walk after they screwed him up early in his career, before he went on to success elsewhere.

Anyone thinking there was a real possibility for a positive outcome for the Jets must be new.

they really liked Ryan but Tannenbaum has to make the move to move up.  he failed to do so.

14 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

you haven't been paying attention to the Jets for long I see.

Jet fans don't run good QBs out of town.  They cheer and over-inflate the good QB seasons because they are so few and far between.  

Look at Vinny, Penny and Sanchez.  They had either a great (Vinny in 98), a good (Penny in 02) or decent year (Sanchez in 10) and nothing more, but they all got to stay longer than their production dictated.

Ryan would've been a god here.  What's interesting is Mangini's trajectory.  If they lose that game to KC,  Ryan is backing up a veteran QB and they never go after Favre.  That buys Mangini another season and they go into 2009 with Revis in his prime and Ryan as the QB.

If you really think about it, next to SBIII, the win over KC on December 30, 2017 is the most pivotal win in franchise history.  It shaped the next 10 years.

FWIW, the general board consensus was that it would be stupid to move up for Ryan.  IIRC, 124 and I liked the idea, most others didn't.  Main topic during the time period was how skinny legs would break and couldn't carry the load. I admit I liked Gholston.  I had only seen the Michigan game and immediately thought he was the kind of player the Jets never sucked enough to draft. 

2 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

they really liked Ryan but Tannenbaum has to make the move to move up.  he failed to do so.

If the Jets lost, they would've had the 3rd pick at 3-13 rather than Atlanta, so no need to trade up.  There was no way Tanny couldve traded up from 6 to 2 to trade with the Rams.

Just now, SMC said:

Jet fans don't run good QBs out of town.  They cheer and over-inflate the good QB seasons because they are so few and far between.  

Look at Vinny, Penny and Sanchez.  They had either a great (Vinny in 98), a good (Penny in 02) or decent year (Sanchez in 10) and nothing more, but they all got to stay longer than their production dictated.

Ryan would've been a god here.  What's interesting is Mangini's trajectory.  If they lose that game to KC,  Ryan is backing up a veteran QB and they never go after Favre.  That buys Mangini another season and they go into 2009 with Revis in his prime and Ryan as the QB.

If you really think about it, next to SBIII, the win over KC on December 30, 2017 is the most pivotal win in franchise history.  It shaped the next 10 years.

I soooooo disagree with this. Ryan would have been run out of town for not winning any playoff games on the road.

There were alot folks here laughing at Matt Ryan when the Jets went down there with Geno Smith and beat the Falcons.

He finally had his break through this year and will most llikely be the MVP of the league in what his 7th, 8th year in the league ? I don't think Jets fans would have put up with waiting that long. 

6 minutes ago, SMC said:

they run them out whether Vinny, Chad, Sanchez.  Ryan would not have had the immediate success here he had in Atl w/o the same talent and easier division.  he would have been run out of town w/in 5 years.  he had very talented teams and had only one playoff win through 9 seasons in the NFL, we ran off a guy w/ 4( a Jets record by double).

4 minutes ago, SMC said:

If the Jets lost, they would've had the 3rd pick at 3-13 rather than Atlanta, so no need to trade up.  There was no way Tanny couldve traded up from 6 to 2 to trade with the Rams.

but we didn't lose, if we really wanted him that bad we would have moved up.  Mike tried but couldn't get it done.

2 minutes ago, shawn306 said:

I soooooo disagree with this. Ryan would have been run out of town for not winning any playoff games on the road.

There were alot folks here laughing at Matt Ryan when the Jets went down there with Geno Smith and beat the Falcons.

He finally had his break through this year and will most llikely be the MVP of the league in what his 7th, 8th year in the league ? I don't think Jets fans would have put up with waiting that long. 

That's nonsense.  Jet fans don't run QBs out of town for not winning road playoff games.  The Jets have barely won any playoff games this century.  Jets fans turn on QBs because they suck, are always hurt, are aholes, or all of the above.

Also, Ryan didn't have a "break through" in his 7th year.  He went from good QB to great QB.  The Jets have a real hard time finding a good QB.

Ryan has never had a season where he threw for less than 58% and his last 5 season are all over 65%.  Never had a season where he threw more INTs than TDs.  He has 8 straight seasons of 21 or more TDs.  That has only happened 4 times in 16 years with the Jets.  Think about that.

Ryan in EIGHT STRAIGHT YEARS has thrown 21 or more TDs a season and Jets can only do it 4 times this century.

This notion that Jet fans are "impatient" is nonsense.  Jet fans have been waiting nearly 50 years for a championship and still wait.  On the flip side, look how fans react to seasons like 2002, the first part of 2008 and 2010.

As some kind of coping mechanism, some fans can live in a fantasy that Ryan would have failed here, but the reality is that he is a damn good QB and would have succeeded anywhere, including here.

11 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

they run them out whether Vinny, Chad, Sanchez.  Ryan would not have had the immediate success here he had in Atl w/o the same talent and easier division.  he would have been run out of town w/in 5 years.  he had very talented teams and had only one playoff win through 9 seasons in the NFL, we ran off a guy w/ 4( a Jets record by double).

Atlanta went from 4-12 to 11-5 in Ryan's rookie season.  He immediately made them better.

Again, as some coping mechanism, people may think he wouldve failed here, but he's still a damn good QB.

Vinny, Chad and Sanchez were run out because they either sucked, got hurt or both.  If they didn't suck or were not injured, they'd have been here longer.  Remember, of the 3, only Chad had another good season after leaving the Jets, then he proceeded to get hurt/suck.

13 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

but we didn't lose, if we really wanted him that bad we would have moved up.  Mike tried but couldn't get it done.

That's ultimately true, but all reports at the time were that Fins were locked on Jake Long at 1, and the Rams were locked on Chris Long at 2.  So, there was no team for Jets to trade with to leapfrog Atlanta at 3.

3 minutes ago, SMC said:

Atlanta went from 4-12 to 11-5 in Ryan's rookie season.  He immediately made them better.

Again, as some coping mechanism, people may think he wouldve failed here, but he's still a damn good QB.

Vinny, Chad and Sanchez were run out because they either sucked, got hurt or both.  If they didn't suck or were not injured, they'd have been here longer.  Remember, of the 3, only Chad had another good season after leaving the Jets, then he proceeded to get hurt/suck.

and we would have been much better too, I would have loved him here.  I wouldn't have run him out of town BUT I am not a typical Jet fan.  Jet fans want blood when something doesn't go wrong.  it's why we switch QBs/OCs/HCs/GMs so often. there's no way Ryan lasts here w/ 9 years and 1 playoff win.

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

and we would have been much better too, I would have loved him here.  I wouldn't have run him out of town BUT I am not a typical Jet fan.  Jet fans want blood when something doesn't go wrong.  it's why we switch QBs/OCs/HCs/GMs so often. there's no way Ryan lasts here w/ 9 years and 1 playoff win.

But the bolded simply is not reality.  The Jets switch QBs/OCs/HCs/GMs so often because they have all sucked at their respective jobs.  This is not a crazy concept.

If any of them were better at their jobs, they'd still be here. But it all starts with the QB.  Teams don't give up on good QBs because they are such a rare commodity.  Jets were never going to give up on Ryan because he would've been good year-in-year out.

With 1 playoff win in 9 years, what would Tanny do?  He'd draft more WRs and RBs and TEs for Ryan rather than a DL or CB every year.

2 minutes ago, SMC said:

But the bolded simply is not reality.  The Jets switch QBs/OCs/HCs/GMs so often because they have all sucked at their respective jobs.  This is not a crazy concept.

If any of them were better at their jobs, they'd still be here. But it all starts with the QB.  Teams don't give up on good QBs because they are such a rare commodity.  Jets were never going to give up on Ryan because he would've been good year-in-year out.

With 1 playoff win in 9 years, what would Tanny do?  He'd draft more WRs and RBs and TEs for Ryan rather than a DL or CB every year.

it is though, Chad was really good when healthy and every time he was relatively healthy he led us to the playoffs including the only AFC East title in the Brady era not won by NE(when Brady was NE primary starter) and yet he was run out of town.  I would have loved Ryan and watching him develop but the billboard crowd would have run him out of town.

4 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

it is though, Chad was really good when healthy and every time he was relatively healthy he led us to the playoffs including the only AFC East title in the Brady era not won by NE(when Brady was NE primary starter) and yet he was run out of town.  I would have loved Ryan and watching him develop but the billboard crowd would have run him out of town.

We can hold the debate on whether Chad "was really good" for the other thread, but it is indisputable that Chad was shown the door because he couldn't stay on the field.  Remember, Mawae called Chad "an egg back there."  It had nothing to do with billboards or fans wanting him gone.

In light of that, you can't use Chad as an example for your conclusion that Ryan wouldve been run out of town by the billboard crowd.  If Ryan stays healthy and doesn't suck as a Jets QB, he'd remain the Jets QB, regardless of HC, or GM.  That's the way the NFL works.  No billboard is going to change that because a good QB is the most important person in organization.

50 minutes ago, SMC said:

You aren't wrong about the bold. That did hurt us.

But I cannot root for my team to lose or expect my players to purposefully blow games. It was Kellen Clemens starting that game. Not Chad, so the Jets were trying to look towards the future and see what they had with a young QB. He won the game that day, and ended up being a crappy QB. We lost out on Matt Ryan. But there's nothing we can do about it. Such is life.

The key is, when a can't miss type of guy is available, or a guy who is rated very highly by most scouts and teams, you have to go all out to get him. Give up whatever it takes.

10 minutes ago, SMC said:

We can hold the debate on whether Chad "was really good" for the other thread, but it is indisputable that Chad was shown the door because he couldn't stay on the field.  Remember, Mawae called Chad "an egg back there."  It had nothing to do with billboards or fans wanting him gone.

In light of that, you can't use Chad as an example for your conclusion that Ryan wouldve been run out of town by the billboard crowd.  If Ryan stays healthy and doesn't suck as a Jets QB, he'd remain the Jets QB, regardless of HC, or GM.  That's the way the NFL works.  No billboard is going to change that because a good QB is the most important person in organization.

he was booed by Jet fans in 2007 when he got hurt.  if the fans didn't turn on him we don't foolishly make the Favre trade and ruin our 2008 chances.

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

Matt Ryan would have been run out of town 5 years ago, Jet fans only settle for the best and would never have been able to wait 10 years for his first SB appearance.

Impossible to say, as the Jets have never had a QB as good as Matt Ryan.

1 hour ago, SMC said:

Seriously...

The fanbase made legends out of Matt Simms and Brett Ratliff based on like 6 throws each.

16 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

he was booed by Jet fans in 2007 when he got hurt.  if the fans didn't turn on him we don't foolishly make the Favre trade and ruin our 2008 chances.

I'm not going to attempt to justifying any fans cheering any player's injury as being morally correct. The reason was likely not "hate" -- rather, that Mangini wouldn't take him off the field even though, in the absence of throwing TDs, he was throwing picks (if not pick-6's) every week for a month. He had become depressing to watch and we were going nowhere with him.

11 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

He was booed in 2007 when he got hurt because (1) he couldn't stay on the field and (2) the team was 1-7 when he was QB.

Again, that has nothing to do with Matt Ryan, because we're talking about him being healthy (which he has been) and not sucking (which he doesn't do).  If Matt Ryan was an "egg back there" and led the team to a 1-7 record as a 31 year old (Ryan's age this season BTW), he would've been booed too.

Think about that.  In Chad's 31st year, he got hurt again and was 1-7 as a starter.  In Ryan's 31st year, he led his team to the SB.  Understand the difference?

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

Matt Ryan would have been run out of town 5 years ago, Jet fans only settle for the best and would never have been able to wait 10 years for his first SB appearance.

How do we know Jet fans run good QBs out of town? We dont ever have good QBs

Archived