Should the Jets pick up a starting OL FA and who?

SenorGato

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

Think it was a re-injury of his left foot? No MRI yet, but he is opting for hip surgery this offseason. He should be fine. He wants to remain a Packer though so we'll see..they most likely sign him back.

yeesh

sounds like damaged goods

26 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Can they afford one? Winters contract puts them at over 42 million for the offensive line. A LT would be 10 million. That would be over 52 million. Would that line be good enough to cost 30% of the cap?

They are going to cut players which will then free up cap space.  Many teams do this.  One player likely to be cut is left tackle Ryan Clady, which will reduce the cost of the O-line by approx $10 mil.

41 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Im hoping we go for Ty Nsekhe from Washington. He is their backup, supposed to be a free agent this year and played well in the games he started.

He would be solid and wouldn't break the bank until we are able to draft someone else. 

Restricted free agent, very small sample size of average play, going to be 32 this season, and will probably get a multiple year deal with decent money. Might as well resign Ijalana for cheaper. They need to make a significant investment at LT in the draft this year or next. 

38 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Restricted free agent, very small sample size of average play, going to be 32 this season, and will probably get a multiple year deal with decent money. Might as well resign Ijalana for cheaper. They need to make a significant investment at LT in the draft this year or next. 

Restricted but Washington isn't matching any offers for a backup. His play is way better than Ijalana, and his age isn't a worn down 12 year starter vet.

I agree we need to draft or LT of the future. But a first day starter isn't coming from this draft class. It'll be a developmental guy in the middle rounds or we wait in '18 to draft one. But, I like this guy starting for a couple of years until then.

51 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Restricted but Washington isn't matching any offers for a backup. His play is way better than Ijalana, and his age isn't a worn down 12 year starter vet.

I agree we need to draft or LT of the future. But a first day starter isn't coming from this draft class. It'll be a developmental guy in the middle rounds or we wait in '18 to draft one. But, I like this guy starting for a couple of years until then.

Ijalana and not losing a comp pick > this guy. You have to see the bigger picture. He's not that much better than Ijalana. 

I like OT Ricky Wagner from the Ravens the more I read about him... He's improved every season.

Biggest issue is he's really only a RT... I guess you could sign him and have Shell as depth behind him but I'm not sure if that's the best use of money...

Or maybe try one of them at LT and see what happens? 

Andrew Whitworth is by far the best LT out there. He's a stud... But he's also 35, and I imagine he's going to want one more big contract with a lot of guaranteed money... Seems dangerous. 

5 hours ago, DMan77 said:

I like OT Ricky Wagner from the Ravens the more I read about him... He's improved every season.

Biggest issue is he's really only a RT... I guess you could sign him and have Shell as depth behind him but I'm not sure if that's the best use of money...

Or maybe try one of them at LT and see what happens? 

Andrew Whitworth is by far the best LT out there. He's a stud... But he's also 35, and I imagine he's going to want one more big contract with a lot of guaranteed money... Seems dangerous. 

I like Shell as RT next year.  Wesley Johnson stunk at Center but his mental mistakes are fixable

8 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

He is 31.  We do NOT want him starting at LT.  Neither does anyone else. 

1 hour ago, thadude said:

I think we're drafting Cam Robinson at 6.  We just gave a ton of money to Winters I can't see us signing another FA OL

I'm a mock draft addict so I've watched Cam go from being mocked in the late 1st round to start creeping up into the top 15 and even the top 10 over the last 5-6 months... So I don't think it's crazy to think he'll sneak into the top 10 and not be looked at as a "reach".

The biggest thing for Cam right now is there are mixed evaluations on what he is. There are quite a few scouting reports out there that say he's destined to be a very good RT, but won't stick at LT...

So right now he's a huge risk... Maybe that changes as the scouting reports and combines and all that come in... But he ia not a sure thing at LT right now, so taking him at 6 will come with some questions for sure.

Archived