John Morton, Saints WR Coach

Joejet

John Morton interviewed with the Jets for their offensive coordinator job today and I'm disappointed that no one has chimed in yet with how terrible he is or what a joke it would be to hire him.  Come on guys pick up your game!

20 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

This fellow is a better candidate than some of the other names being tossed around at least from a pedigree standpoint. Has worked with Calahan, Turner, Harbaugh, Payton.  some good offensive minds.  I would have no issue with this hire.

Thank you. 

People have to stop the insanity.

Bill Walsh is not going to be our new OC so we have to put everything in perspective.

We are more likely than not going to get a new line guy and we have to hope that guy can do the job. 

47 minutes ago, Joejet said:

John Morton interviewed with the Jets for their offensive coordinator job today and I'm disappointed that no one has chimed in yet with how terrible he is or what a joke it would be to hire him.  Come on guys pick up your game!

Probably because everyone chimed in already in the All Coaching Rumors Here Please thread.  Seriously though, there was good discussion on Morton in that thread today.

40 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

The interviewed WRs coach John Morton for offensive coordinator job, per reports.

So that interview has already happened.

Hmmm....Cimini said Jets and Morton "talked about it" and he "remains a candidate", but no mention of an actual interview.

EDIT....Costello saying interview has happened.

56 minutes ago, LockeJET said:

I don't have a problem with this hire at all. But have the Jets ever hired an OC or DC that had once held the same position before?

heimerdinger? morhinweg? greg robinson? cottrell? henning?  to name a few.  i see your point though.

I wouldn't mind this hire, he's worked with a few very good offensive minds.  Went back and watched some Matt Barkley tapes and they do spread the ball out a bit.  He was however, demoted after Lane Kiffin came on board from OC to Passing Game Coordinator.  However, from those two years, and him having worked with the Saints these years, I'm guessing he will have a decent amount of spread offense in his scheme, which fits the roster.  

Lets be honest here. None of us has the first clue who these guys are, or how good / bad they are / will be. What I can say is we are pretty much guaranteed that they will not be as pathetic as the last bunch of coaches we just let go.

According to ESPN's Rich Cimini, Saints WRs coach John Morton interviewed for the Jets' opening at offensive coordinator on Wednesday.

The Jets are looking to replace Chan Gailey, who "retired" at the end of the 2016 season. Morton oversaw arguably the league's best receiving corps this year in New Orleans. The Jets are also said to be pursuing former Texans OC George Godsey. Ultimately it won't matter who the Jets hire until they find a solution at quarterback. Perhaps they'll enter the Tony Romo sweepstakes.

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

According to ESPN's Rich Cimini, Saints WRs coach John Morton interviewed for the Jets' opening at offensive coordinator on Wednesday.

The Jets are looking to replace Chan Gailey, who "retired" at the end of the 2016 season. Morton oversaw arguably the league's best receiving corps this year in New Orleans. The Jets are also said to be pursuing former Texans OC George Godsey. Ultimately it won't matter who the Jets hire until they find a solution at quarterback. Perhaps they'll enter the Tony Romo sweepstakes.

**** Cimini for even mentioning the "Romo Sweepstakes" we don't need to spend money on a delicate flower who is going to be gone in 2-3 years. We have lots of holes to fill and if Mac plays FA right we could wind up with some talented young players. A solid core for the future. This teams window closed in 2015. We no longer need to be looking at it as a "win now" roster. This sh*ts about to get purged and built back up.

12 minutes ago, Larz said:

he played WR, and has been around harbaugh and payton, what the hell, who knows, lol

And developed Cook, Graham, Colston..you name it. I live in Mississippi, so everyone here are die hard Saint fans. I see a lot of Saint games. They always have a nice WR core. I know it helps to have Bree's but those WR's always show up. They drafted Kenny Stills and developed him too. Almost forgot about him.

2 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Morton was OC at USC for a couple of years

Yup, helped develop Matt Barkley and he got better every year.  Also, developed Robert Woods, Marquis Lee and Brice Butler.  Not so great with the NFL WRs in SF: Ronald Johnson (USC), A.J. Jenkins, Quinton Patton, and Bruce Ellington.  But Brandin Cooks and Michael Thomas seem to have developed well in New Orleans.

1 minute ago, nyjbuddy said:

Yup, helped develop Matt Barkley and he got better every year.  Also, developed Robert Woods, Marquis Lee and Brice Butler.  Not so great with the NFL WRs in SF: Ronald Johnson (USC), A.J. Jenkins, Quinton Patton, and Bruce Ellington.  But Brandin Cooks and Michael Thomas seem to have developed well in New Orleans.

Stills? Lance Moore? Robert Meacham? I actually forgot more.? That's how decent he is at this developing thing. Because I swear Meacham was not suppose to be as good as he winded up. Kid went from ass to going 73 yards every other game. Lance Moore turned into a vital piece for that super bowl run and even more so before and after. Nice possession WR. 

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

Stills? Lance Moore? Robert Meacham? I actually forgot more.? That's how decent he is at this developing thing. Because I swear Meacham was not suppose to be as good as he winded up. Kid went from ass to going 73 yards every other game. Lance Moore turned into a vital piece for that super bowl run and even more so before and after. Nice possession WR. 

Brees at QB doesn't hurt.

This jumped off the page for me.

From Wiki.

"After ending his playing career in 1997, Morton began working for the National Football League's Oakland Raiders, initially in the personnel department. In 2002 he took a coaching position in the organization, as a Senior Offensive Assistant on a team that made it to Super Bowl XXXVII under head coach Bill Callahan. After another year at the position, he was elevated to Tight Ends Coach for the 2004 season under new Raiders head coach Norv Turner. In 2005 he joined Jim Harbaugh's staff at the University of San Diego, a D-IAA college program, where he coached the passing game and wide receivers for a squad that went 11-1-0 and won the Pioneer Football League Championship. The following season he took a position as an offensive assistant with the New Orleans Saints under head coach Sean Payton, who advanced to the 2006 NFC Championship game.

Morton joined USC in 2007, taking up a similar position to the one he held at San Diego. When offensive coordinator Steve Sarkisian accepted a head coaching position with Washington, Morton was interviewed by head coach Pete Carroll as a candidate for the position.[1] As expected, Morton eventually got the job.[2]"

he must of been good at something if Pete Carrol hired him. USC did very well back then. Essentially, he has had success every where he has coached. 

Archived