John Morton, Saints WR Coach

Joejet

1 hour ago, ASH1962 said:

Lets be honest here. None of us has the first clue who these guys are, or how good / bad they are / will be. What I can say is we are pretty much guaranteed that they will not be as pathetic as the last bunch of coaches we just let go.

Agreed on the first part that we have no clue who these guys are or how they'll do.  On the 2nd part however, I didn't dislike Chan.

This WR Coach Morton was an OC at USC. So, he does have exposure as an OC. Link and info is below:

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/01/jets_showing_interest_in_two_possible_offensive_co.html#incart_river_index

Morton, 47, played professional football(NFL and NFL Europe) for five seasons (1993-1997), then started coaching in 2002. He coached the Raiders tight ends (2002-2004), and the wide receivers for the 49ers (2011-2014) and Saints (2015-present). He was USC's offensive coordinator from 2009 through 2011.

Saints wideouts found success under Morton in 2016. Brandin Cooks, Michael Thomas and Willie Snead combined to catch 242 passes for 3,205 yards and 21 touchdowns. Both Cooks (78-1,173-8) and Thomas (92-1,137-9) went over 1,000 yards. 

3 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

This WR Coach Morton was an OC at USC. So, he does have exposure as an OC. Link and info is below:

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/01/jets_showing_interest_in_two_possible_offensive_co.html#incart_river_index

Morton, 47, played professional football(NFL and NFL Europe) for five seasons (1993-1997), then started coaching in 2002. He coached the Raiders tight ends (2002-2004), and the wide receivers for the 49ers (2011-2014) and Saints (2015-present). He was USC's offensive coordinator from 2009 through 2011.

Saints wideouts found success under Morton in 2016. Brandin Cooks, Michael Thomas and Willie Snead combined to catch 242 passes for 3,205 yards and 21 touchdowns. Both Cooks (78-1,173-8) and Thomas (92-1,137-9) went over 1,000 yards. 

The bolded is VERY impressive. Wow.

22 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I was literally just thinking in my head..what if Brady retires and becomes the OQ coach and we are forever doomed with Brady clones that take over football for the rest of our lives.

I think he'll probably opt to become the equipment manager. 

1 minute ago, UnknownJetFan said:

What stood out to me with Morton was the credential below:

coached the Raiders tight ends (2002-2004)

So, he comes in as OC and we actually should use TEs, one of the major weapons in the league. He just needs to get a good QB coach to train our young and any new QBs we obtain.

Yeah I noticed that. Good sighting. Hopefully he runs a Pro style system with sprinkles of spread so we can go vertical. 

ESPN Staff Writer 

cimini_rich_m.jpg&w=160&h=160&scale=crop

It sounds like Jets coach Todd Bowles is targeting a specific candidate for the offensive-coordinator vacancy. "I'm pretty sure where I'm going," he told Newsday and NJ.com at the Senior Bowl. He interviewed Saints WRs coach John Morton last week and there's interest in former Texans OC George Godsey. They're the only two known candidates.

icon-espn-e-@2x.png
NFL

2 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

ESPN Staff Writer 

It sounds like Jets coach Todd Bowles is targeting a specific candidate for the offensive-coordinator vacancy. "I'm pretty sure where I'm going," he told Newsday and NJ.com at the Senior Bowl. He interviewed Saints WRs coach John Morton last week and there's interest in former Texans OC George Godsey. They're the only two known candidates.

icon-espn-e-@2x.png
NFL

Being that they only interviewed one but have interest in the other. I'm thinking it's Morton. Which on the surface seems like a better hire than someone's RB coach.

27 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

ESPN Staff Writer 

icon-espn-e-@2x.png
NFL

Can the Jets hire both Godsey and Morton. They need someone to focus on QBs and someone to focus on WRs. Make them cos.

They need all the offensive coaching they can get.

23 minutes ago, varjet said:

Can the Jets hire both Godsey and Morton. They need someone to focus on QBs and someone to focus on WRs. Make them cos.

They need all the offensive coaching they can get.

All the more plausible too since nowadays you have "passing game" coordinator and "Running game" coordinator (recall Bill Callahan in 2006-8)

Any coaches out of the Saints offensive staff is okay for me.. that Offense is awesome it produces 1,000 yards RBs and 1,000 yard Recievers and TE's.. 

granted we won't have Brees but it's still a very creative offense from a X's and O's standpoint 

I hate to say this, and I've never been like this my entire time being a Jets fan, but I really don't care. In fact, I wouldn't care if we hire Paul Hackett again. My point is this upcoming season has to be a tank season. We fire Bowles, Mac will have the ability to bring in his own guy who will then bring in his own OC. So does it really matter? Whoever it is, will most likely be here for one-year. 

3 hours ago, Ghost said:

I hate to say this, and I've never been like this my entire time being a Jets fan, but I really don't care. In fact, I wouldn't care if we hire Paul Hackett again. My point is this upcoming season has to be a tank season. We fire Bowles, Mac will have the ability to bring in his own guy who will then bring in his own OC. So does it really matter? Whoever it is, will most likely be here for one-year. 

I honestly can't recall a time when I was less enthusiastic about an upcoming season.

There are some moves the Jets could make that would change that for me, but I just don't see that happening.  It really feels like 2017 is going to be prepping for the 2018 season which will likely come with a new HC.  It's not necessarily a bad thing, but it means next season will be more about watching games to see how the kids play as opposed to, well, being good.

Someone else said it and I can see it shaking out like this:

Godsey - QB coach 

Morton - OC

Godsey doesn't really seem like he has a chance at any other OC vacancies so he may honestly just come on as a QB coach and work with a QB he's familiar with and likes.  I really like Morton and if this is how it shakes out it can be a really good situation.

4 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Godsey - QB coach 

Morton - OC

Godsey doesn't really seem like he has a chance at any other OC vacancies so he may honestly just come on as a QB coach and work with a QB he's familiar with and likes.  I really like Morton and if this is how it shakes out it can be a really good situation.

Yea, we've got like 3-4 openings on the offensive staff - we need a RB coach too. So, not all of these interviews are a lock for OC only... and they've got to be talking to more than just 2 guys to fill 3-4 spots. 

7 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Godsey - QB coach 

Morton - OC

What about

Morton - OC

Jeremy Bates - QB

Morton shared play calling duties at USC with Bates for the 2009 season.  Bates followed Carroll to the Seahawks and did a year there calling plays but was fired after one year for philosophical differences.  He spent a year with the Bears as their QB coached where he was re-united with Jay Cutler who he had coached back in Denver from 2006-2008.  Though he never got recognition for the play calling in Denver, he called plays during Cutler's 3rd season where he threw for 4500+ yards, 25 Tds and 18 Ints.  

"Dennison's first offensive coordinator stint was also in Denver from 2006-08 under Mike Shanahan. Neither Shanahan nor Dennison reportedly called plays. It was quarterbacks coach Jeremy Bates." - RochesterFirst.com

In 2010, he withdrew from consideration for the OC position with the Bears and when Trestman came in, Bates was let go.  I believe he is now developing high school QBs out in California at Shanahan's QB Masters camp

8 hours ago, AFJF said:

I honestly can't recall a time when I was less enthusiastic about an upcoming season.

There are some moves the Jets could make that would change that for me, but I just don't see that happening.  It really feels like 2017 is going to be prepping for the 2018 season which will likely come with a new HC.  It's not necessarily a bad thing, but it means next season will be more about watching games to see how the kids play as opposed to, well, being good.

The sad part is they should have had that season this year. Instead, Fitz. 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

The sad part is they should have had that season this year. Instead, Fitz. 

Meh...I'd never expect a team coming off of a 10 win season with essentially the same roster to decide to blow things up.  They took a shot and failed, now we see how they proceed.

If they go out and get Glennon or Tyrod, add a LT and draft a playmaker in the secondary in the 1st round, it's no longer a re-build, but taking another shot at competing.

If it's a rookie QB competing with Hack and Petty, 2017 is an audition for most guys on the roster to get ready for 2018 IMO.

Archived