Butch Trucks R.I.P.

munchmemory

Just now, JiF said:

Damn!  I've been to a lot of Bros shows in my days.  Grew up on that music.  Sad to hear he passed.  Jacksonville native too. 

He left a legacy.  Literally.  Not only in his music but his son is something else on that guitar!

RIP

I hate to correct you, especially in this thread.  But Derek Trucks is Butch's nephew.

Posted this on my FB page yesterday morning after it was confirmed:

My idol and inspiration in the world of anything drum, Butch Trucks, has passed on at age 69.

In an interview with Rolling Stone last year, Butch reflected on the Allman Brothers Band's unexpected status as headliners. "We were in another universe," he said. "We were out spreading the gospel of this music we had discovered. We never thought that we would be more than an opening act. Atlantic Records was riding our ass constantly to get Gregg out from behind the organ, stick a salami down his pants and jump around the stage like Robert Plant. We told them to go f*** themselves. 'We're playing this for ourselves. We've tried it your way before. We didn't make any money and we had a miserable time.

Bless you sir - and Rest In Peace - but rest only till you can find Duane and Berry. Then grab Cozy Powell for the 2nd kit and see if Stevie Ray will handle the vocals - we know he'll be a good 2nd six string. I want it rocking when I get there.

14 minutes ago, jetophile said:

^Seeing as a gazillion rags have said so, one must be true. I should have said allegedly re: $ troubles, but yeah, it seems that he offed himself for sure. Sad. 

Wow.  That just makes it all much worse. 

41 minutes ago, jetophile said:

Oh, my garden peas. I didn't laugh, right hand to God . . .  but I'm left-handed. 

Felt like we could all use some levity.  I in no way want to diminish Butch's suicide.  Can't imagine the pain one must be in to actually pull that trigger.  RIP.

54 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Felt like we could all use some levity.  I in no way want to diminish Butch's suicide.  Can't imagine the pain one must be in to actually pull that trigger.  RIP.

We all know you are a music man at heart.......  but wow, him and Keith Emerson, suicide.  Tough to swallow.

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

Read between the lines. I laughed. And I'll probably get struck dead by lightning while I'm walking my dog. 

Archived