Jets Working to Retain Clady?

JetNation

1 hour ago, BigRy56 said:

With no better option available and the draft being weak at LT, I see no harm in bringing back Clady on a low risk - high reward deal.

I don't think Clady wants that deal.  If he was interested in being reasonable, he would have been signed already,.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Couple things

I find it funny how everyone so worried about NFL team cap (owners money)  we so worried we don't spend all their money. Have to give them owners credit for finding a way for everyone to care about their wallet.  Any team that needs money will find a way to get it.....cap casualties is just another way to justify dumping semi popular players and make everyone feel good about it. I for one hope we spend every last dollar of wood's money every year and please spare me the capoligist BS.  I do believe there is merit in some basic concepts like spending all your resources in 1 positional group but the real part I find funny in all of it is how some will say wow we 40million under cap and another will say oh yeah well if you cut so and so we could be 50 million bla bla blah....yadaya yadaya yadaya...who gives a flying duck.

Looks like Clay may be sticking around? Tomorrow is a semi self imposed deadline with 1 million bucks on the line.

14 minutes ago, jason423 said:

There is no bonus due tomorrow. That was negotiated out of his contract. There is an option decision to be made but as far as I know that only deals with him counting or not counting towards the compensatory pick formula.

Well guess I need to ask dumb Q

I say dumb because I already believe Cimini is an idiot but why did he post the below yesterday when he and others reported on that restru touring a few weeks ago.

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/66882/jets-anticipated-roster-purge-could-start-with-lt-ryan-clady

Just now, Matt39 said:

This seems like the long term plan. Trade picks for players then cut them a year later to save cap room. Then proceed to catch bouquets. 

That's why I loved the way Macc structured his contracts. So that if he did go for it, it didn't create long lasting damage, unlike under Tanny.

12 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

That's why I loved the way Macc structured his contracts. So that if he did go for it, it didn't create long lasting damage, unlike under Tanny.

Which contract that Macc has actually done do you love the structure of? I'd submit that almost all of the contracts he's actually gotten players to sign have been out and out garbage. 

4 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Which contract that Macc has actually done do you love the structure of? I'd submit that almost all of the contracts he's actually gotten players to sign have been out and out garbage. 

Most of them. BEcause the structure means you get out of them with minimal damage to the salary cap to the future. So in case the players sucks, they can be let go with minimal damage and cap space shall be freed.

We just freed up 10m in cap space with no dead money

6 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Most of them. BEcause the structure means you get out of them with minimal damage to the salary cap to the future. So in case the players sucks, they can be let go with minimal damage and cap space shall be freed.

We just freed up 10m in cap space with no dead money

I want a specific answer. The contract just not renewed was not one Macc constructed. I want an answer of a specific contract he doled out that is a good one in your opinion and why. 

3 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I want a specific answer. The contract just not renewed was not one Macc constructed. I want an answer of a specific contract he doled out that is a good one in your opinion and why. 

I like the Fitzpatrick contract for the reason that it turned out exactly as it came to pass. Macc could have easily given him a 2 to 3 year guaranteed deal. Coming off the season he had, he could have easily fell into that trap. But he didn't . He stood firm until pressure (from Woody? we don't know) forced him to pay up. But he wasn't attached full bore. He could be jettisoned after he had a year like this one, when he reverted back to his form. And the only dead money left is 6m, which is only about 4% of the NFL salary cap. 

17 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I like the Fitzpatrick contract for the reason that it turned out exactly as it came to pass. Macc could have easily given him a 2 to 3 year guaranteed deal. Coming off the season he had, he could have easily fell into that trap. But he didn't . He stood firm until pressure (from Woody? we don't know) forced him to pay up. But he wasn't attached full bore. He could be jettisoned after he had a year like this one, when he reverted back to his form. And the only dead money left is 6m, which is only about 4% of the NFL salary cap. 

Macc wanted to give him 3 years with more guaranteed money. So you like the contract that Fitz forced Macc into which was luck. Nice. Any other gems?

19 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

The fact that we are paying Ryan Fitzpatrick in 2017 is a crime and Mike Maccagnan is solely responsible for this mess. 

5 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Macc wanted to give him 3 years with more guaranteed money. So you like the contract that Fitz forced Macc into which was luck. Nice. Any other gems?

Why do you say it was luck? Going against personal feelings to do what's right?

As for others, the Wilkerson deal runs out in 2 years and then we can cut him. Even the Revis deal allows us to cut him this year. So you see, all these deals are on short term bases. Minimal damage to the future.

7 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

So you are ok with paying Fitz $5 million this season when he isn't even on the team.

Dude, I'm a Yankees fan. We're paying A Rod 90m dollars and all he's doing is teaching.

COUld be worse. And before you bring up the lack of a salary cap, essentially the Yankees have been under a self imposed "salary cap" the last couple of years

6 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

The Yankees have basically been under a self imposed salary cap the last couple of years in order to get under the luxury tax threshold. 

And what do 27 championships have to do with it?

It has a  lot to do with everything a team can make mistakes when they have won something instead of winning nothing and making mistakes all the time.

19 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

The Yankees have basically been under a self imposed salary cap the last couple of years in order to get under the luxury tax threshold. 

And what do 27 championships have to do with it?

I thought the Yankees went over the luxury tax

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Who gives a shlt if some of the contracts are ones he negotiated, the others are ones he looks for when he signs a player?

44 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

The contract you loved at the time of Fitzs signing?  

Now do you have proof that he was offered 3 years with guarantees that would have hurt the team? 

49 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Why do you say it was luck? Going against personal feelings to do what's right?

As for others, the Wilkerson deal runs out in 2 years and then we can cut him. Even the Revis deal allows us to cut him this year. So you see, all these deals are on short term bases. Minimal damage to the future.

Minimal damage to the future? Come on man. What about the damage they both did in 2016? Both were terrible and massively overpaid. Neither is a good contract. You're out of your depth. 

10 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Now do you have proof that he was offered 3 years with guarantees that would have hurt the team? 

It was still a good contract but not for the reasons UnitedClueless said. 

Do you not have google too? http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/ryan-fitzpatrick-s-latest-contract-offer-from-jets-three-years-15m-guaranteed-1.11859232

12 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Nice job Jet Nut lets not let Carl forget this along with his infatuation for Tiger Beat Magazine. 

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Minimal damage to the future? Come on man. What about the damage they both did in 2016? Both were terrible and massively overpaid. Neither is a good contract. You're out of your depth. 

But 2016 is over. It's in the past. That's the point. WHy bring up 2016 when it is in the past?

Basically you just ignored my point about the future and are concentrating on the past. So in fact, I think you are out of your depth

5 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

But 2016 is over. It's in the past. That's the point. WHy bring up 2016 when it is in the past?

Basically you just ignored my point about the future and are concentrating on the past. So in fact, I think you are out of your depth

These contracts don't happen in a vacuum. Just because they can get out of them in a few years doesn't mean they're good contracts. Macc should be giving out contracts hoping he doesn't need to get out of them. He's doing a bad job. Period. 

Just now, CrazyCarl40 said:

These contracts don't happen in a vacuum. Just because they can get out of them in a few years doesn't mean they're good contracts. Macc should be giving out contracts hoping he doesn't need to get out of them. He's doing a bad job. Period. 

Again, I'm a Yankees fan. ARod contract. Much worse. And you can't use salary cap because the Yankees have been trying to get under the luxury tax

Archived