O J Howard

Tinstar

11 hours ago, Tinstar said:

Major source says TE OJ Howard is the best player at the Senior Bowl

5. TE OJ Howard will NOT fall further than the second-round pick at 39. Book it.

Kid is moving to the head of my leader board

if He's on the board when the Raiders pick at 24 , probably goes right there.     ( could go a couple spots earlier than that- probably falls somewhere in 15-24 range. ( never makes it to Jets second round pick.

4 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

if He's on the board when the Raiders pick at 24 , probably goes right there.     ( could go a couple spots earlier than that- probably falls somewhere in 15-24 range. ( never makes it to Jets second round pick.

Raiders have been killing it in the draft in recent years watch this guy become a beast with Derek Carr while we draft another mediocre DB at 6. 

Cuz y'know positional mumbo jumbo

On 1/28/2017 at 10:08 AM, thadude said:

while we draft another mediocre DB at 6. 

Ok, so you've mentioned this a couple of times already. Its a general blanket statement that has little to mno merit with little no ref. to history and little to no analysis of the players drafted.

So let's look at the Jets selections of defensive backs (safeties and CBs) in the first round. I dunno, the past 10 years or so.  

'14: C.Pryor- #18

'13: D.Milliner- #9

'10: K.Wilson- #29

'07: D.Revis- #14

Then we go all the way back to '94: A.Glenn- #12. I'll stop there. 

Sure, you could say in the past 7 years, the Jets drafted 3 DB's in the first round and they all ended up being mediocre or complete busts. That's fair. Thats ONE way of looking at it. He're a few other ways. 

Revis will be a HOFer. 

Wilson was a bust, but taken FAR from the top ten. 

Milliner was a bust (due to injury): Bad pick. But also, the Jets had a 13th overall pick and they needed a CB badly (after losing Revis) and Milliner was clearly the top CB prospect. If not for injuries, he would have probably developed into a good CB. I really can't blame the Jets for making that pick. 

C.Pryor has not looked as good as advertised. But he is til on the team and he has only been in the league two seasons. He could still develop into an impact player. Close to a bust, but the jury is still out.

In the past 10 years, the Jets have selected ONE DB in the top 10 and he ended up being a bust due to constant injuries.

In the past 10 years they selected 3 DB's in the top 20. One ended up being a HOF, one is still on the team and its really too early to tell, one was a bust due to injuries.

In the past 10 years they selected one CB in the bottom of the first round and he ended up a bust.   

• 2 months later...

Howard to work out for Panthers, visit with Jaguars, Bears

Published: March 30, 2017 at 4:50 p.m.

The tight end position is in demand, and business is booming for top prospect O.J. Howard.

In the next week, Howard has an on-campus workout scheduled with the Carolina Panthers, followed by visits with the Jacksonville Jaguars and the Chicago Bears, he told NFL.com on Thursday. Howard had previously spoken with the Titans and Buccaneers.

Howard, who is back home in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, working out with the Crimson Tide staff, has conditioned himself to be meticulously prepared in any situation. The Nick Saban school of hard knocks will do that to you.

It should come as no surprise that he's planning on acing all of his meetings.

"You just want to make sure when you go on these visits you meet people and you know everybody," Howard said. "You want to know people by name, then just go in and have a good time. You know what to do. They'll make you do some board work and talk football. Just go in and do what you normally do."

To help, Howard has a study aid at his disposal.

"I have a book," Howard said. "It has every team and every coach on the staff and every personnel guy -- everyone in the whole organization is in that book. So you just look up the team, go up and down and you can kind of learn it that way."

The on-campus workout with the Carolina Panthers will be a little easier. Howard can just display what he does best. While this is his first private workout with a team, Howard said he expects to go through plenty of in-line blocking drills. In previous entries, Howard has discussed his love of blocking and it's one of the main reasons he has been a mock draft darling this time of year.

But he's also determined not to rest on his reputation, which is where the return trip to Tuscaloosa comes in.

Howard checked in after another grueling workout with legendary Alabama strength and conditioning coach Scott Cochran and his staff. Cochran has built some of college football's most impressive athletes and might have outdone himself this year with Alabama's class of prospects.

"He's with us all the way," Howard said. "His staff, they're all perfect and they'll work you out. It's just like when you played ball here it's the same thing."

Seeing Howard in college football shape was enough to garner a significant amount of interest. Now Howard is looking to turn heads this week with the pro-ready version.

-- Conor Orr

Howard credits 'crazy' portion of Alabama practice for his rise

Published: March 17, 2017 at 5 p.m.

After meeting with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers at Alabama's pro day and the Tennessee Titans on Tuesday, top tight end prospect O.J. Howard is going back to the grind.

The quiet times are likely aided by the overwhelming positivity that has underlined his pre-draft season. After wowing at the NFL Scouting Combine in early March and putting on a strong performance at his pro day, NFL.com analyst Bucky Brooks called Howard the most complete tight end prospect that he's seen in the last 10 years.

When informed of the report, Howard had one thing to credit: The inside run portion of practice, where the notoriously physical Crimson Tide reps all of their power running plays.

"Playing at the University of Alabama, you have to learn how to block because we run the ball a lot," Howard said. "I did a lot of read-option-type blocking for the quarterback, that sort of thing. Over four years, I changed my offense like three times and I adjusted well, so I can kind of play in any offense the NFL throws my way because I did it in college."

Howard is separating himself from the rest of the field because he never has to leave it. Teams like the Giants, who had an official meeting with Howard at the combine, run almost strictly out of an 11 personnel (three wideouts, a running back and a tight end) and do not want to pause their muddle-huddle system to sub in a blocking tight end. They also do not want to tip the kind of play they're running, making Howard an ideal transition piece for any system.

"You have to like blocking, because if not, you're not going to play a lot," Howard said. "I didn't do a lot of it in high school, but once I got to college, (I) got used to it.

"Inside run at Alabama is very crazy. People are up there fighting. It's very physical, very intense. A lot of pride in that drill because everyone knows you're running. It's called 'team run' for a reason. It's one-on-one blocking and the low man wins."

Howard said his nemesis during those drills -- in the best possible sense -- was fellow senior Ryan Anderson, a top prospect in his own right. Howard said he's not going to forget to thank Anderson for all the hard work once he hears his name called.

"He already knows," Howard said.

Love his preparation to work. Could bode well with understanding a playbook and your role. Think he would be great for blocking and of course offensivly....Would not bother me at 6.

Sent from my Moto Z using JetNation.com mobile app

On 1/27/2017 at 5:42 PM, Tinstar said:

Major source says TE OJ Howard is the best player at the Senior Bowl

5. TE OJ Howard will NOT fall further than the second-round pick at 39. Book it.

Kid is moving to the head of my leader board

No sh*t?  lmfao.  what a bold statement. 

3 hours ago, nicg4360 said:

Love his preparation to work. Could bode well with understanding a playbook and your role. Think he would be great for blocking and of course offensivly....Would not bother me at 6.

Sent from my Moto Z using JetNation.com mobile app

Low bust potential.  Not sure if he'll be as good as Graham and Gronk, though.  He doesn't go up and get the ball like Graham.  Graham is an absolute monster.  If you throw the ball up, he'll go get it.  Even with two DBs hanging all over him.

20 hours ago, detectivekimble said:

Low bust potential.  Not sure if he'll be as good as Graham and Gronk, though.  He doesn't go up and get the ball like Graham.  Graham is an absolute monster.  If you throw the ball up, he'll go get it.  Even with two DBs hanging all over him.

I agree. He is not the athlete Graham is. He does not have the strength or ability to catch contested throws that Gronk has. He reminds me more of Martellus Bennett, which is not a knock on Howard at all. He is actually a faster version of Bennett.  

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

I agree. He is not the athlete Graham is. He does not have the strength or ability to catch contested throws that Gronk has. He reminds me more of Martellus Bennett, which is not a knock on Howard at all. He is actually a faster version of Bennett.  

Yes, Howard is fast and even quick for his size, but he plays "below the rim."

Jimmy Graham is an absolute monster.  It's amazing that the Seahawks don't throw the ball to him more.  He can't be covered.

In the comments, someone asked if drop rate being close to the edge is a positive thing.  By comparison, OJ Howard had 114 catches, 6 dropped passes (3 in 2014) for a 5% drop rate.  David Njoku had 8 dropped passes in 64 receptions for a 11% drop rate.  The blocking grade is interesting as he often not seen as the best blocking tight end of the class.  I believe George Kittle might be a better blocker than him.

One thing that is a little concerning about Howard was his usage in the Alabama offense.  An offense headed by Lane Kiffin and the same base offense that Morton ran at USC.  Morton's limited playing calling experience is rooted in the same offense that Howard was under-utilized in at Alabama.  Let's hope that if Howard is the selection that Morton's offense looks more like the Saints offense with Graham (or even Watson in 2015) than the USC offense under Kiffin.

20 hours ago, nyjbuddy said:

In the comments, someone asked if drop rate being close to the edge is a positive thing.  By comparison, OJ Howard had 114 catches, 6 dropped passes (3 in 2014) for a 5% drop rate.  David Njoku had 8 dropped passes in 64 receptions for a 11% drop rate.  The blocking grade is interesting as he often not seen as the best blocking tight end of the class.  I believe George Kittle might be a better blocker than him.

One thing that is a little concerning about Howard was his usage in the Alabama offense.  An offense headed by Lane Kiffin and the same base offense that Morton ran at USC.  Morton's limited playing calling experience is rooted in the same offense that Howard was under-utilized in at Alabama.  Let's hope that if Howard is the selection that Morton's offense looks more like the Saints offense with Graham (or even Watson in 2015) than the USC offense under Kiffin.

"Morton's offense looks more like the Saints offense with Graham (or even Watson in 2015) than the USC offense under Kiffin" I assure you it will. This is precicely why the Jets brought in Morton. 

Howard is not the best blocker in the draft, clearly, but he has gotten considerably better at it. He's worked on his blockig and improved, so I think some of his liability in the run game is overstated. He can be a legit every down TE. 

Because of my concerns with Hooker and Lattimore's injuries I am more and more convinced that Howard should be the pick at 6 (assuming Fournette, Garrett, Adams are off the board).  

3 hours ago, PepPep said:

"Morton's offense looks more like the Saints offense with Graham (or even Watson in 2015) than the USC offense under Kiffin" I assure you it will. This is precicely why the Jets brought in Morton. 

Howard is not the best blocker in the draft, clearly, but he has gotten considerably better at it. He's worked on his blockig and improved, so I think some of his liability in the run game is overstated. He can be a legit every down TE. 

Because of my concerns with Hooker and Lattimore's injuries I am more and more convinced that Howard should be the pick at 6 (assuming Fournette, Garrett, Adams are off the board).  

I agree, i really really want Adams to drop to us... if he drops tho... i dont think he will get past 5 with the titans... it's rough - he seems like an immediate starter, once in a generation type talent at safety 

On April 4, 2017 at 0:01 PM, detectivekimble said:

Jimmy Graham is an absolute monster.  It's amazing that the Seahawks don't throw the ball to him more.  He can't be covered.

That's because dumbass Kiffin used Howard as a check down instead of trying to throw downfield with him.  Watch his touchdown in the BCS title game Howard is a matchup nightmare on post or go route

On 4/4/2017 at 10:01 AM, detectivekimble said:

This is so 100% that's you've changed my whole perception of you mr. kimble.

Completely agree Howard is a below the rim guy. I think he's functionally a "move" tight end, not a jump ball guy. Someone who can get loose on short to intermediate stuff, stretch seams, and block. Big time movement skills for a tight end - he's on par with or better than a lot of receivers on the ground even though he's carrying a lot more weight.

This may not make a lot of sense - but he kind of reminds me of the TE version of Amari Cooper. Cooper wasn't a go up and get it guy either despite having awesome size - but he was smooth, had awesome movement skills on the ground, and good hands. Howard adds the benefit of being a quality blocker.

In a comparison that might make more sense, I think he's a similar style of tight end to Greg Olsen - just more polished as a blocker coming out than Olsen was.

I have a hard time seeing Howard have a bad career. He offers you versatility, can play three downs right off the bat, plus athlete, no major weaknesses - he's just not going to be an absolute monster in contested catch situations.

For a team that needs to develop a young quarterback - having a big guy who can consistently get open and make plays plus block when needed seems like a really valuable piece to have. I'm not sure you're going to get an absolute franchise changing superstar, but I think the Jets could do a lot worse than Howard especially as they're trying to build a functional NFL offense.

The flip side is if they don't take him, there are a bunch of other quality tight end prospects in this draft. If they don't come out of the draft with at least one TE I'm going to be livid. I'd actually like to see them take two, though it seems unlikely. Think two TE sets are great in general and especially if you're trying to develop a young QB (whether it's someone currently on this roster or not - it's a must for this franchise).

4 hours ago, derp said:

Completely agree Howard is a below the rim guy. I think he's functionally a "move" tight end, not a jump ball guy. Someone who can get loose on short to intermediate stuff, stretch seams, and block. Big time movement skills for a tight end - he's on par with or better than a lot of receivers on the ground even though he's carrying a lot more weight.

This may not make a lot of sense - but he kind of reminds me of the TE version of Amari Cooper. Cooper wasn't a go up and get it guy either despite having awesome size - but he was smooth, had awesome movement skills on the ground, and good hands. Howard adds the benefit of being a quality blocker.

In a comparison that might make more sense, I think he's a similar style of tight end to Greg Olsen - just more polished as a blocker coming out than Olsen was.

I have a hard time seeing Howard have a bad career. He offers you versatility, can play three downs right off the bat, plus athlete, no major weaknesses - he's just not going to be an absolute monster in contested catch situations.

For a team that needs to develop a young quarterback - having a big guy who can consistently get open and make plays plus block when needed seems like a really valuable piece to have. I'm not sure you're going to get an absolute franchise changing superstar, but I think the Jets could do a lot worse than Howard especially as they're trying to build a functional NFL offense.

The flip side is if they don't take him, there are a bunch of other quality tight end prospects in this draft. If they don't come out of the draft with at least one TE I'm going to be livid. I'd actually like to see them take two, though it seems unlikely. Think two TE sets are great in general and especially if you're trying to develop a young QB (whether it's someone currently on this roster or not - it's a must for this franchise).

This is 100% spot on and the Olsen comparison is a great one.

He does seem like the TE version of Cooper (his game, not production).  Cooper has the quickness to shake loose from CBs, so he doesn't necessarily need to be able to go up there and get it.  Howard, just because of his size, will not have the quickness of Cooper.  So he'll have guys hanging off of him more.  So it'd be nice if he was able to go up and snatch the ball in a crowd.  

In hindsight, Olsen was absolutely worth his first round selection.  He's even had a better career than some of the guys who were picked in the top 10 of his draft.

4 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

So do you think Howard is worth the #6 pick?

I'll take it over lattimore or another defensive prospect but he's not the A-list phenom his price tag says. He's not even my favorite TE this year. I have him more as a fringe round 1 guy then a top 10 player. 

9 hours ago, Paradis said:

I'll take it over lattimore or another defensive prospect but he's not the A-list phenom his price tag says. He's not even my favorite TE this year. I have him more as a fringe round 1 guy then a top 10 player. 

Who's your Favorite TE ? 

Howard is who I'm putting my foot in the sand for. 

All of the best teams know how to use the TE position. It's the ultimate chess piece on offense. You can't shadow a lockdown Corner on them. Howard is too fast for LB's and too strong for Safety's. You can't really double him in the middle of the field. NFL offenses and the Morton's O is all about the TE. He lets Enunwa and Robby grow as Receivers while Howard is our #1 option at TE. We need good football players first and foremost. 

11 hours ago, Mecca said:

Howard is who I'm putting my foot in the sand for. 

All of the best teams know how to use the TE position. It's the ultimate chess piece on offense. You can't shadow a lockdown Corner on them. Howard is too fast for LB's and too strong for Safety's. You can't really double him in the middle of the field. NFL offenses and the Morton's O is all about the TE. He lets Enunwa and Robby grow as Receivers while Howard is our #1 option at TE. We need good football players first and foremost. 

Seen enough mediocre DB's taken in the first round lets actually get someone good who is on offense for a change

On 1/27/2017 at 9:18 PM, CrazyCarl40 said:

If Macc drafts a TE at six he should be fired on the spot and banned from all Dunkin Donuts. 

yeah, because big TEs have no place in the modern NFL. It's amazing how many people forget how Gronk terrorizes us and the whole NFL weekly. 

On 4/9/2017 at 10:19 PM, Paradis said:

How did Brandon Pettigrew workout? 

Archived