Schefter: Jets to hire John Morton as their OC: MERGED

CrazyCarl40

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Recruited out of Canton McKinley High Schoolby Greg Debeljak, McDaniels attended John Carroll University, where he played football, primarily as a wide receiver, from 1995 to 1998. Though a quarterback in high school, he was beaten at that position at John Carroll by Nick Caserio, who joined the Patriots staff in 2001 (the same year as McDaniels).

Haley attended Upper St. Clair High School. He went on to attend the University of Florida and University of Miami, playing on the two schools' respective golf squads. Haley graduated from the University of North Floridain 1991 with a bachelor's degree in communication.

Haley was hired by the New York Jets in 1995 and served as an assistant in the scouting department for two seasons. At the time, Haley's father Dick was working with the Jets as Director of Player Personnel. In 1997, he was promoted to offensive assistant/quality control coach and worked closely with then-offensive coordinator Charlie Weis. From 1999 to 2000 Haley was the Jets' wide receivers coach, helping Keyshawn Johnson make his second Pro Bowl appearance. 

In 2001, Haley joined the Chicago Bears as wide receivers coach and served in the position until 2003. In 2002, he helped Marty Bookerbecome the first Bears Pro Bowl wide receiver since 1971.

From 2004 to 2006, Haley was the wide receivers coach and passing game coordinator for the Dallas Cowboys. Haley helped develop quarterback Tony Romo and the Cowboys' passing offense, which centered around wide receivers Terry Glenn and Terrell Owens.

Well the draft will be interesting:  Do you go with the Young WR in Mike Williams out of Clemson to play in the Peyton style offense or do you go with Fournette to play in the Harbaugh power run offense?

I liked his mic'd up video with the WR's at USC.  Brings intensity.  Just another thought and it may be unpopular but could we see Mark Sanchez back if he knows that offense?

2 minutes ago, NYDreamer said:

Well the draft will be interesting:  Do you go with the Young WR in Mike Williams out of Clemson to play in the Peyton style offense or do you go with Fournette to play in the Harbaugh power run offense?

I liked his mic'd up video with the WR's at USC.  Brings intensity.  Just another thought and it may be unpopular but could we see Mark Sanchez back if he knows that offense?

Provided all this is true, then the Jets will probably combine both and draft O J Howard the TE from Bama . He's the best pure TE to come out in years, who can both block and catch passes .  As of this announcement by the Jets, he's my 1st round pick ?

1 minute ago, Tinstar said:

Provided all this is true, then the Jets will probably combine both and draft O J Howard the TE from Bama . He's the best pure TE to come out in years, who can both block and catch passes .  As of this announcement by the Jets, he's my 1st round pick ?

Lifelong Bama fan and HUGE OJ Howard fan, but #6 seems a bit high for Howard 

2 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Unknown.jpg

Who?

A guy who looked ok under geniuses who ran the offenses he was a small part of coaching.

And a guy whose never, ever, in any way, coached QB's.  Or called plays it seems.

/shrug, this seems like a great idea

This selection smells like the Christian Hackenberg of coaching promotions.  

4 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

They did have an interview with him at the Senior Bowl.  His stock went up because he played in it and shows he is a competetive player.  Definitely moved up in the draft.

8 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

The Jets are going to do what they think is best, but for me, that kid is the best offensive player in this draft because he can catch passes down the middle of the field, and he can help in the running game as an edge blocker .  When is too high the best place to pick the best player at his position and a consensus high 1st round pick ?

22 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Unknown.jpg

Who?

A guy who looked ok under geniuses who ran the offenses he was a small part of coaching.

And a guy whose never, ever, in any way, coached QB's.  Or called plays it seems.

/shrug, this seems like a great idea

This selection smells like the Christian Hackenberg of coaching promotions.  

Morton spent the previous four years at the University of Southern California as the school’s wide receivers coach. He also held the position of the Trojans passing game coordinator from 2007-08 and 2010, while serving as the school’s offensive coordinator in 2009. Under Morton’s tutelage, WR Damien Williams earned All-Pac-10 first-team honors and along with WR Patrick Turner, was a third round pick in the 2009 NFL Draft.

Morton first worked under Jim Harbaugh at the University of San Diego as the passing game/wide receivers coach in 2005. That year, QB Josh Johnson set school records in completions (260), completion percentage (70.1) and passing yards (3,256), while WR Adam Hannula set a school record with 73 receptions.

2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Always good to bank on a position coach whose position group is not QB - and the group's output is a direct result of a HOF QB.

The Eagles definitely exposed that Bowles had no plan B... which aligns with his in-game flaws too.

So psyched for next year.

Oh yeah? Jimmy Graham has been lost without this guy. 

2 hours ago, KRL said:

I was hoping Morton would be the OC and Godsey the QB coach.  That's one down

FWIW. 

Manish Mehta (@MMehtaNYDN)

1/29/17, 4:04 PM

Ex-Texans OC George Godsey, who helped recruit Hackenberg to PSU, is not in play for Jets QB coach job, per sources 

2 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Morton has called plays before. He was OC for USC from 2009-2011. So he has experience calling plays.

And he has coached in great offensive systems. The early 2000s Raiders and Chargers. The Mid 2000s Saints, the Harbaugh Niners.

The only knock you can really have is that he has no experience coaching QBs. 

But that's what a QB coach is for.

Solid hire. Not horrific, but not all time great hire

How does that equate to NFL?  It doesn't and he hasn't coached QB either so what are we really getting?

Jet fans are so phony, if John Morton came to your house and said he wanted
to discuss football you wouldn't even know who he was.  But now you're going
to tell me how bad of a choice he was?  Really

The one thing that I'll say is Bowles seems to at the very least understand he and his buddy Kacy are not motivators or particularly respected so he's trying to surround himself with coaches who are.

The team is still doomed with Todd at the helm..  this hire is just putting a little mustard on a sh-t burger.

Forget the results, because it's college kids.   Although you can see Joe Mcknight play. 

What stands out to me at least on that play.  The screen to Mcknight, notice the spacing of the WRs.  They spread the field out, so the RB has a one on one match up with a LB, with an angle.   

The incomplete pass to Turner around the 3:00 mark, notice how the defense is fooled by the fake bubble screen, which leads to a wheel route from the slot WR.  If it wasn't for the defender basically running into Turner, that's an open receiver.   

4:00, this is something you should recognize from the film reviews the past two years, if you have man coverage, you first look for the guy with off coverage because he's the most likely to be open quickly (man coverage guys have to beat press most likely, and then beat their man, therefore the time it takes them to be open is lengthened thus the QB can look for the easy option first).   

6:45- Bad read by Barkley, they have set up two receivers on both ends, in a double safety look.  Barkley chooses the side without a TE running, which makes this a bad decision because the other side should be one on one match up considers the second safety has to account for the TE. 

Again, not much to go on, and this is what 8 years ago?  But it does show that he had good concepts back then, and took advantage.  As you can see by the score, not exactly a barn burner, but the concepts do look decent.  It'll be interesting to see how the spread works with someone like Petty/Hackenberg because they both have much stronger arms than Barkley.  

9 minutes ago, KRL said:

I like it

I think we will now see 3 wr,  single back, qb under center sets mixed with some dose of 2 te sets

Gone are the empty backfield shotgun put my qb in the hospital sets on 1st down in 1st half while in scoreless game.

We need a blocking TE though like Jeremy Sprinkler in 3rd round

6 minutes ago, KRL said:

well not sure you referencing me but let me respond?  I'll use your logic.  That is right we do not know who he is and irrespective of his "resume" the requisite skill set for an OC in the NFL is having a fundamental  philosophy which is what exactly?  No answer, well then, has ne ever coached QBs?  Answer NO.  Ok maybe that's not important  but has he ever called plays in the NFL?  Answer NO.  One more you to think about, "does he even have a playbook"...  or is he going to spend the next few months creating one.... this is laughable.  You hire qualified people not "hope" the hire can do the job just because he worked for some very good coaches.  Just saying....  

1 minute ago, SOJ said:

well not sure you referencing me but let me respond?  I'll use your logic.  That is right we do not know who he is and irrespective of his "resume" the requisite skill set for an OC in the NFL is having a fundamental  philosophy which is what exactly?  No answer, well then, has ne ever coached QBs?  Answer NO.  Ok maybe that's not important  but has he ever called plays in the NFL?  Answer NO.  One more you should think about, "does he even have a playbook"...  or is he going to spend the next few months creating one.... this is laughable.  You hire qualified people not "hope" the hire can do the job just because he worked for some very good coaches.  Just saying....  

5 minutes ago, SOJ said:

well not sure you referencing me but let me respond?  I'll use your logic.  That is right we do not know who he is and irrespective of his "resume" the requisite skill set for an OC in the NFL is having a fundamental  philosophy which is what exactly?  No answer, well then, has ne ever coached QBs?  Answer NO.  Ok maybe that's not important  but has he ever called plays in the NFL?  Answer NO.  One more you to think about, "does he even have a playbook"...  or is he going to spend the next few months creating one.... this is laughable.  You hire qualified people not "hope" the hire can do the job just because he worked for some very good coaches.  Just saying....  

So you think that given his background he doesn't have a playbook? Will have to create one from scratch?  

Not one of the favorites to get the job, the so called plan A or B fit your bill either.  

2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Plan A was Defillipo, he was the first guy they tried to interview. It's not brain surgery to connect the dots.

Dint try so hard to make it a mystery. It's not that compelling.

So everytime a candidate gets interviewed first that means he's the first choice? You obviously have no clue what you're talking about. 

34 minutes ago, C Mart said:

FWIW. 

Manish Mehta (@MMehtaNYDN)

1/29/17, 4:04 PM

Ex-Texans OC George Godsey, who helped recruit Hackenberg to PSU, is not in play for Jets QB coach job, per sources 

Eh who cares I think Mort gets to choose his own QB and RB coaches....btw he is good friends with Brady so he must be a douche...think we dodged a bullet here 

4 minutes ago, SOJ said:

If you hire someone how is qualified by your definition they would have been fired already. I have no idea if this guy will be any good, but there are some things to like.

15 minutes ago, Maxman said:

And a playbook? That is easy.

Bryce Petty said he learned to read defenses from Madden. So just download one from there. take the Saints playbook and modify it a bit. Done.

I literally did this last night with Hackenberg under center. All I needed to do in order to drop 50pts on the Pats is flip the Jets playbook to the Saints playbook and got instant results.  True story.

40 minutes ago, SOJ said:

I have never in my life met a single teacher who 1st did not have to be taught.  A great student once had a great teacher, and it's the job of the teacher to try and make the student better than he ever was ?  One believes what one will, or what one has convinced themselves to be the truth . From whom was your truth created ?

3 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

We will see if you are right. Last year Bowles was awful IMO.   

Now whether that will be the case long term, again we will see, but Bowles has to improve or he won't be the Jets HC for long and I think that he knows this as well. 

All SOME Jets fans ask for is meaningful progresss over a reasonable and measurable time frame.  

FIXED.

That being said at least the guy has some pedigree with coaches that have done something in this league. Payton(who some wanted to trade for) and Harbaugh(who some would gladly give the WORLD too) hired him so He must have some kind of ability. I think it maybe moot though assuming Bowles is let go after the coming season. Hey he might just be a HC candidate when that happens.

Tried to watch a basketball game today.  Knicks sucking against the Hawks sucking, anyway, giving NBA officials replay is like giving a terrorist a chemistry set.  Worse than the NFL, didn;t think it was possible. At least this O.C  might bring a fresh perspective from an offense that at least,  gains yards and scores points.

Archived