Schefter: Jets to hire John Morton as their OC: MERGED

CrazyCarl40

44 minutes ago, choon328 said:

So everytime a candidate gets interviewed first that means he's the first choice? You obviously have no clue what you're talking about. 

The very first thing they did was request permission to talk to Defillipo. When denied, it was almost a week before they requested another interview.

Im just following the chronology and common sense. If a select few of you want to get uppity about it, that's fine. Nothing your saying disproves my conclusion.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

If only we could transpose resumes and get equivalent outcomes. It just doesn't work that way.

Back to my point, Bowles had no plan B. Furthermore, Bowles isn't a good HC, and having Chan have him a sage advisor on staff. Now he's surrounding himself with even more guys that have no HC experience... it really doesn't bode well for the overall influence of coaching on the the teams outcome next year.

This team's talent pool sucks. Lombardi couldn't save these guys from drowning in a 2 foot pool. Until we get an established football guy to run operations, this team will continue to aimlessly drift in space.

4 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Always good to bank on a position coach whose position group is not QB - and the group's output is a direct result of a HOF QB.

The Eagles definitely exposed that Bowles had no plan B... which aligns with his in-game flaws too.

So psyched for next year.

I'm not sure what to make of this guy, but he coached other teams without a HOF QB, so maybe he is responsible for increasing the output of his receivers. I'll give him that. It's the lack of play calling experience that has me worried. Additionally, he was reportedly interviewed some time ago. What took so long to hire him? I suspect they "settled" on him after having no luck getting the candidates they hoped for, or for that matter, many candidates at all.:(

as others have said, he sounds like a solid choice.  now all they need to do is get a qb and we could be surprised. hopefully he will be able to adapt whatever his offensive concepts are to the jet personnel.  you know people want to point to brady and great he is yet when you watch the patsies play how many times does he actually throw to his second or third receiver?  not very often.  he knows where he's going because the play calls for the first receiver to be open.

as others have said, he sounds like a solid choice.  now all they need to do is get a qb and we could be surprised. hopefully he will be able to adapt whatever his offensive concepts are to the jet personnel.  you know people want to point to brady and great he is yet when you watch the patsies play how many times does he actually throw to his second or third receiver?  not very often.  he knows where he's going because the play calls for the first receiver to be open.

This is by far the most ignorant thing I've read on this board in months.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

9 minutes ago, rangerous said:

man, why didn't we think of that?

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Who?

A guy who looked ok under geniuses who ran the offenses he was a small part of coaching.

And a guy whose never, ever, in any way, coached QB's.  Or called plays it seems.

/shrug, this seems like a great idea

This selection smells like the Christian Hackenberg of coaching promotions.  

Unless you go the retread route it's all pretty much a crap shoot when promoting a position coach to OC . Building a playbook, installing the offense, game planning, and then calling the plays in a matter of seconds is all unknown wrt Morton.   

I don't understand how the Jets didn't at least inquire about McCoy.  But once you get past him it certainly seems like morton is as good of a choice as any of the available options.  

5 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

Unless you go the retread route it's all pretty much a crap shoot when promoting a position coach to OC . Building a playbook, installing the offense, game planning, and then calling the plays in a matter of seconds is all unknown wrt Morton.   

I don't understand how the Jets didn't at least inquire about McCoy.  But once you get past him it certainly seems like morton is as good of a choice as any of the available options.  

McCoy had real options, was never coming here.

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

I literally did this last night with Hackenberg under center. All I needed to do in order to drop 50pts on the Pats is flip the Jets playbook to the Saints playbook and got instant results.  True story.

we just worked it out. The Jets read this stuff so they will implement these changes soon. :)

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

This interview:

Bowles: tell us about your philsoph...

Maccagnan: Can you head coach?

Bowles: What Mike means is, your development of Brandin C...

Maccagnan: Head Coaching. Are you ready? 

Not really sure we know much about the process, as Mangini might say. Sounds like-again, don't know-this was a Bowles hire, not that it should be. 

19 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

You're annoying.  Let's meet in person so that: 1) I can show you that I'm not Manish Mehta, and 2) I can punch you in the face on behalf of the many JN posters who think you're a douchebag.

tom-delonge-wtf1.gif

Woahhhhhhhh guys, this went from 0-100 real quick lol.

23 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

You're annoying.  Let's meet in person so that: 1) I can show you that I'm not Manish Mehta, and 2) I can punch you in the face on behalf of the many JN posters who think you're a douchebag.

I don't know the backstory here, so I am going to assume this is a joke. Please refrain though, threats of physical violence are never a good thing.

36 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

Computer gangsta!

If the choice was Morton or Godsey, two credible candidates given the Jets QB and HC situation, I can see how Bowles & Co could conclude Morton was the better option.  He has has great experience and has been smart enough to work under some of the top coaches in football.  This in my view is a very respectable hire.

They have a good OL coach and WR coach.  If they can find a QB coach, and a QB, the Jets can be more respectable.

I am not necessarily buying the "the Jets may not have a QB in 2017" argument.  They may need to sign someone, but if they pick someone available and through the righ tmoney at them, they will come away with someone.  As someone else has recently notes, Hoyer is a very respectable candidate to bridge the gap to either one of the 2 young QBs on the roster, or one that is drafted, or some combination of the 3.

I am optimistic at this point on the coaching hires.  I am more interested in the Jets moving on aggressively from the fading veterans (not all per se, but aggressively), not signing any expensive old FA stopgaps, particularly at QB, and drafting great players of the right value and signing some strategic young FAs.  Coaching to me is starting to pull away as an issue.

1 hour ago, detectivekimble said:

Unfortunately for Todd, there are many people in Florham Park who agree with you.  I don't think he makes it through the season.

I'll bet anything right now he makes it through the season.  

Archived