Jerod Evans

legler82

This guy has become my second favorite QB in this draft behind Mahomes.  He is Cam Newton-lite.  At 6'4" close to 240 lbs, he is slightly smaller than Cam but he does have a similar game as well as collegiate path to the draft.  Like Can he only had one full year of starting in the FBS after a JUCO stint.  He also has Cam's confidence, borderline cockiness, and massive chip on the shoulder.  His chip might be even bigger since he's projecting as a day 3 pick early in the process.  If Mac does not want to exhaust an early pick on QB, I hope he takes a long look at Evans.  

I have no problem with the Jets taking a flyer in the 5th or 6th round on a developmental QB if they feel like they have a plan for the upcoming season at the QB position. 

Evans, Webb, Kelly, even Russell out of Baylor are all guys the Jets could take a flyer on later on in the draft. For the record, I have no problem with the Jets taking a QB at #6 overall if they really, really liked him as a prospect. Its the most important position and the Jets have nobody solidified as their starter going into 2017. 

Having said that, I think the Jets will simply punt on a QB in this draft, in favor of addressing other positions. They don;t have that many draft picks and they have plenty of holes. I think you will see Hack and Petty get a shot to earn the starting gig and the Jets will bring in a veteran on a short term deal just in case neither show enough progress to win the job OR as a backup that can step in in case of injury. Hoyer? Gradkowski? Keenum? maybe L.Jones? Nobody exciting or promising, just someone relatively steady, somebody that will take a short term deal without a lot of guaranteed money.

I like Evans as a prospect. And yes, he has similar traits to Cam. But the Cam comparison is a reach. He's nowhere near the athlete cam is. He doesn't have Cams arm or accuracy, and he did not lead him team to a Championship. Cam is a whole other animal and although I get what you mean RE: his game and chip on his shoulder, it's just not an apt comparison.

But I like that you have highlighted this guy as a potential target! Nice prospect in the later rounds of the draft.   

He's the type of prospect the Jets need in the system  . This should be a make or break offseason for Petty because it's his 3rd yr .  3 years into his NFL career and we don't even know if he's a decent back up candidate even with live action . He's arguably worst than Geno Smith .

6 hours ago, jetsfansince7 said:

This kid wasn't even on my radar, seems like a more physical, athletic Deshaun. Late round pick? thanks for posting. Very interesting. 

Another plus to this kid is that he was coached by Justin Fuente, who is somewhat of a QB whisperer at the collegiate level.  Andy Dalton and Paxton Lynch both say they owe their development as NFL caliber QBs to Fuente.

I'm typically very hesitant to endorse an underclassmen with 1 year of starting experience (see Trubisky) but he did start at the JUCO level like you mentioned.  

He's definitely an interesting prospect and someone you'd love to have your hands on with his athleticism and production.  I'm just not sure how many mid round fliers the Jets can have on their roster.  They need a starter...I guess you could take him and let the 3 youngsters battle it out and let the best man take D1 snaps.

I like him better than Mahomes, fwiw. 

On January 31, 2017 at 0:00 AM, legler82 said:

This guy has become my second favorite QB in this draft behind Mahomes.  He is Cam Newton-lite.  At 6'4" close to 240 lbs, he is slightly smaller than Cam but he does have a similar game as well as collegiate path to the draft.  Like Can he only had one full year of starting in the FBS after a JUCO stint.  He also has Cam's confidence, borderline cockiness, and massive chip on the shoulder.  His chip might be even bigger since he's projecting as a day 3 pick early in the process.  If Mac does not want to exhaust an early pick on QB, I hope he takes a long look at Evans.  

Nice find

Don't worry about the Geno comparisons people on this site and JI were comparing Janeis Winston to Geno two years ago.  I would not mind using a late round pick on this guy

Personally, I prefer the guy playing on the opposing team from Boston college . 6'5" 240 and a better athlete with a better arm, and 1 yr of limited experience in a pro style offense . This is a nice exhibition by Evans against a team whose athletes are not even close in ability . I watched this tape and then I watch the tape against Clemson and I come away with a different prospective . Both these QBs played against Clemson, and I like what I saw from Towles better than what I saw from Evans . Then I watched Towles against Maryland in the Bowl game and I was further impressed . Then I watched him make that run against Cuse, and that cemented my feeling .

I would pick up this kid either with my 7th round pick or after the draft, bring him to camp and let him practice with our 2 youngsters and whoever the vet we sign turns out to be . 3 QBs are going to be on the Jets roster this season, and a 4th should be on the practice squad . One of Hackenberg, whoever the Jets add either during the draft or after (unless we take a QB with our 1st ) and Petty will end up on the PS .  Personally, if it's Petty, I add someone else and cut him loose >

• 1 month later...
On 2/5/2017 at 0:15 PM, Tinstar said:

Personally, I prefer the guy playing on the opposing team from Boston college . 6'5" 240 and a better athlete with a better arm, and 1 yr of limited experience in a pro style offense . This is a nice exhibition by Evans against a team whose athletes are not even close in ability . I watched this tape and then I watch the tape against Clemson and I come away with a different prospective . Both these QBs played against Clemson, and I like what I saw from Towles better than what I saw from Evans . Then I watched Towles against Maryland in the Bowl game and I was further impressed . Then I watched him make that run against Cuse, and that cemented my feeling .

I would pick up this kid either with my 7th round pick or after the draft, bring him to camp and let him practice with our 2 youngsters and whoever the vet we sign turns out to be . 3 QBs are going to be on the Jets roster this season, and a 4th should be on the practice squad . One of Hackenberg, whoever the Jets add either during the draft or after (unless we take a QB with our 1st ) and Petty will end up on the PS .  Personally, if it's Petty, I add someone else and cut him loose >

I am a BC Alum and watched every game that was available in the NY area and Towles is an abomination when it comes to slowness in making his reads and delivering the ball.  There was never a single, in-game play that made me ever think he could play on Sundays.

Personally I hope we take a shot in the 3rd with Nate Peterman, kid really checks a lot of boxes as far as field vision, progressing through his reads, and accuracy.

1 hour ago, BCJet said:

I am a BC Alum and watched every game that was available in the NY area and Towles is an abomination when it comes to slowness in making his reads and delivering the ball.  There was never a single, in-game play that made me ever think he could play on Sundays.

Personally I hope we take a shot in the 3rd with Nate Peterman, kid really checks a lot of boxes as far as field vision, progressing through his reads, and accuracy.

When did Patrick Towles join the Eagles ?

8 minutes ago, BCJet said:

This past year  - he was a graduate transfer who didnt have to sit out, so he just played his "5th year senior" season at BC

I know  that, but what I was looking for was to see if you can then understand why a kid who transferred from Kentucky in his final year just so he could have some time running a pro-style offense might struggle .

Archived