Robert Nunn hired as Defensive line coach

NYDreamer

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/31/jets-hire-robert-nunn-as-defensive-line-coach/

Jets hire Robert Nunn as defensive line coach

Posted by Josh Alper on January 31, 2017, 5:16 PM EST

Getty Images

The Jets officially announced the hiring of John Morton as their offensive coordinator on Tuesday and also revealed that Robert Nunn will be their defensive line coach.

Nunn was let go by the Browns earlier this month after one year on their coaching staff. He’ll be replacing Pepper Johnson, who worked under Todd Bowles during Bowles’ first two seasons as the head coach of the Jets.

Nunn is no stranger to life at MetLife Stadium as he was the defensive line coach for the Giants during Tom Coughlin’s final six years as the Giants’ head coach. He has also worked for the Buccaneers, Packers and Redskins during his time as an NFL assistant.

The defensive line was expected to be a strength for the Jets in 2016 and Leonard Williams turned in a strong sophomore campaign. Muhammad Wilkersonstruggled to find his game after breaking his leg in Week 17 of the 2015 season, however, and Sheldon Richardson may be a candidate for a trade after a season that failed to live up to expectations.

Jets hire Robert Nunn as defensive line coach

EAST RUTHERFORD, NJ - CIRCA 2011: In this handout image provided by the NFL, Robert Nunn of the New York Giants poses for his NFL headshot circa 2011 in East Rutherford, New Jersey. (Photo by NFL via Getty Images)Getty Images

The Jets officially announced the hiring of John Morton as their offensive coordinator on Tuesday and also revealed that Robert Nunn will be their defensive line coach.

Nunn was let go by the Browns earlier this month after one year on their coaching staff. He’ll be replacing Pepper Johnson, who worked under Todd Bowles during Bowles’ first two seasons as the head coach of the Jets.

Nunn is no stranger to life at MetLife Stadium as he was the defensive line coach for the Giants during Tom Coughlin’s final six years as the Giants’ head coach. He has also worked for the Buccaneers, Packers and Redskins during his time as an NFL assistant.

The defensive line was expected to be a strength for the Jets in 2016 and Leonard Williams turned in a strong sophomore campaign. Muhammad Wilkerson struggled to find his game after breaking his leg in Week 17 of the 2015 season, however, and Sheldon Richardson may be a candidate for a trade after a season that failed to live up to expectations.

http://newsok.com/article/3645946

INDIANAPOLIS — When Robert Nunn was hired as the New York Giants defensive line coach before the 2010 season, the men he would be coaching didn't know what to expect.

It could be intimidating for most coaches to stand before the likes of Justin Tuck, Osi Osi Umenyiora and Jason Pierre-Paul, the marquee names on one of the NFL's most-feared defensive fronts.

But Nunn, an Apache native, did his homework and knew a lot more about them than they did about him.

“It would be hard for a lot of coaches to come into a room like the defensive line that we have, but he fits right in like he's one of the guys,” Giants defensive tackle Rocky Bernard said. “I didn't know what kind of coaching style he was going to have.

“He probably heard about all of us just from being in the league. I think we meshed really well. He didn't come in and say this is the way it's going to be, this is what we're go to do. He just said, ‘What do you guys think?' Offered opinions and things like that. It's working really well.”

Really well, indeed.

The Giants defensive line has been the center of the attention in Indianapolis during the lead-up to Super Bowl XLVI against the New England Patriots, primarily because of its recent stretch, a stretch eerily similar to the Giants' Super Bowl XLII run over the Patriots in 2008.

But this is a different year and a different line. Just one starter from that title team, Umenyiora, remains, but Tuck had an MVP-worthy game last time around.

Nunn hasn't watched the game film of the 2008 Super Bowl, instead opting to study individual clips. But the key to Sunday, he said, will be the play of the tackles.

l

“It's going to be interesting to see how it unfolds,” Nunn said. “Our guys know they could play a big part in this game. The thing we gotta do is not go out there and swing for the bleachers every single snap.

“We gotta play small ball and stop the run.”

The defensive line's motto is, “If you stop the run, then you get to have fun.” And the more fun the Giants' ends have, the longer Tom Brady's day could be. In the Giants' Nov. 6 meeting with the Patriots, New York only sacked Brady twice, but they knocked him off the “mound” as Nunn likes to call it, so Brady couldn't get comfortable.

“We just need to work together,” Joseph said. “Stop the run, put pressure on Brady and force them to make a couple mistakes.”

If the Giants walk out of Lucas Oil Stadium on Sunday night with their second Lombardi Trophy in four years, and the defensive line was the reason why, the credit will be heaped on the men on the field.

But another Super Bowl title was two years in the making, from the moment Nunn walked into the defensive line's meeting room for the first time.

He went about business differently, his players said.

He didn't yell. He didn't boast. He didn't control.

Instead Nunn went old school, taking an old fashioned approach, Joseph said. He talks to his players like they're grown men, something Joseph's previous coaches had not done.

Nunn's meticulous preparation, not just for the game, but in anticipation of meeting his players, has earned him respect throughout the Giants locker room. He knows his players' strengths and weaknesses and knows how to play to them.

Every week, Nunn sits with Pierre-Paul and helps him plan out the week. Even as a second-year star in the NFL, Pierre-Paul is still learning how to manage his time and skill, and Nunn is right there helping him along the way.

“Out of all my years of coaches that sat down and taught me game, I felt Coach Nunn really helped me understand the game,” Pierre-Paul said. “Coach doesn't yell, man. I feel like Coach Nunn is like a father to me. He's calm. When stuff is going wrong in a game, he's calm, telling us don't lose our composure.

“He's just a great coach.”

5 hours ago, whodeawhodat said:

Nunn is no stranger to life at MetLife Stadium as he was the defensive line coach for the Giants during Tom Coughlin’s final six years as the Giants’ head coach.

nunn_article_sb.jpg

Developed Jason Pierre-Paul, Osi Umenyiora and Justin Tuck enroute to winning Super Bowl in 2011.

Sold.

SAR I

11 hours ago, Fibonacci said:

Was there ever an off season where so much emphasis was put on assistant coaches' hires? I like this hire personally by the way. 

I think you are right, still the biggest emphasis will still be who is going to be the QB coach.  I think a guy like Pennington (Coaching wise) would be pretty good for the young guys.

Also should be interesting if the Jets end up keeping Sheldon Richardson for the year, unless they get significant trade value.

14 hours ago, JetPotato said:

“Out of all my years of coaches that sat down and taught me game, I felt Coach Nunn really helped me understand the game,” Pierre-Paul said. “Coach doesn't yell, man. I feel like Coach Nunn is like a father to me. He's calm. When stuff is going wrong in a game, he's calm, telling us don't lose our composure.

“He's just a great coach.”

jppnyj_zpsrjvz3swa.jpg

SAR I

I can't believe how many bad assistants Bowles had originally. Its amazing that the guys he had were unable to take his defensive philosophy and transfer that to the field of play. Now, Bowles genius will be able to shine through because he picked these guys personally..... wait what?.... those were his guys he fired?  Ok never mind.

1 minute ago, HighPitch said:

A players coach.  A nice guy

No likey

according to Mike Westhoff, Nunn is just the opposite.  Not a "players' coach", but a strong disciplinarian.   Westhoff, while gushing over the Kevin Greene and Morton hirings, expresses reservations about Nunn.  

Here is the interview:  https://www.sny.tv/jets/news/daily-news-live-westhoff-discusses-recent-hirings-made-by-jets/214747954

The New York Jets have confirmed the hiring of Robert Nunn as defensive line coach.

A veteran of 11 seasons on an NFL sideline, Nunn was previously defensive line coach in Cleveland, who last season fielded the league’s second worst rush defense, allowing over 142 yards on the ground per game.

BEAUTIFUL

Archived