jetinsider/scout news

batman10023

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, SAR I said:

As for the sport-within-a-sport of gambling and fantasy, these are all distractions intended to assist with the fact that most teams do not win, most fans go home losers, the quest to win a Super Bowl is so low probability it borders on futile.  So when the Jets suck in December, hey, I'm happy, I'm in first place in my fantasy league, I can win a few grand, I can still participate in a sport that abandoned me in October.  

And just about the only thing that's new that's gotten me excited about forums in the past 10 years happen to be your must-read play breakdowns.  Much as I look forward to a juicy new PSL thread to immerse myself in on a random Tuesday, when I see one of your threads I'm all in.  That type of post-mortem is very worthwhile, very educational; just don't try to monetize it.  The value is not in the content, it's in the connection.

SAR I

You hit the nail on the head with both of the paragraphs quoted above.  You know that I am an avid FF guy with multiple leagues , some I manage myself and I play in several others, with high entry fees and pay outs.  I fully admit that a major reason I have becoime so heavily involved in FF is not so much to win money, but to keep myself involved, active and excited each game day when the team I have been rooting for since infancy is out of the running by mid October (which happens way too often). Oh, it's still disappointing and depressing when we get seasons like the last one, but the FF involvement is a great distraction from that perennial downer.  If the Jets were a dominant team, I just know that my involvement in FF would decrease.

As for content here, I too relish in the reading the game breakdown, videos and analysis that I find here and other Jets forums.  Great value for sure.  Much appreciate all the folks like @win4ever for those moments. Currently, the Draft Philosphy thread is about the most interesting one going on page 1 and you just don't get that kind of discussion anywhere else except at Hampur.   EDIT:  How could I leave out the wonderful draft forum?  Best draft talk anywhere on the internet for Jets fans.

Good post Scott.  I fully agree with your entire post, but the two points above really hit home for me.

6 hours ago, thshadow said:

I found it so sad when it Scout bought JI...  I loved JI!!  And it was clear it was going to be destroyed.

But it's obvious now - it was actually a blessing in disguise...  

I can't believe I didn't come here sooner!

Hear hear.

The blessing was that the destruction of JI led to the defection of the Hangar Clique to an independent site of their own, so JN was infused with some of the best JI contributors and very little of the junior high school popularity inside joke BS.  A year before JI was sold I had just about given up on sports forums as an entity, this place saved it for me.  JN is a dream, truly is.

SAR I

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

Hear hear.

The blessing was that the destruction of JI led to the defection of the Hangar Clique to an independent site of their own, so JN was infused with some of the best JI contributors and very little of the junior high school popularity inside joke BS.  I had just about given up on sports forums as an entity, this place saved it for me.  JN is a dream, truly is.

SAR I

There are a lot of fantastic posters over at "the hampur" forum.  They aren't all from that crude, kindergarten group you are referring to.  The folks I'm talking about would enrich this site tremendously if they came over here. I can think of at least 15 posters there that really should be here instead of that dump.  But they are invested in that site and for some reason never put their big toe over here.  Upon the demise of JI, I joined this one and that one.  But it quickly became clear that the bathroom antics of "hampur" was too juvenile and just plain waste of time.  I'd love for the actual good posters and content over there to merge here, but that would take a defection of many and how could we keep out the goofballs who degrade Hampur into the mess that it is?    But lets not generalize the way you are that there is no good content there.  There is.

That was such a bizarre event, within a couple weeks they took a pretty good vibrant community like this one and turned it into sludge.

The 1st big indiscretion was being urged to go to a new forum and the new forum looked like ti was the 1st web forum ever invented, it was about 100 times worse than the existing forum.

27 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Hear hear.

The blessing was that the destruction of JI led to the defection of the Hangar Clique to an independent site of their own, so JN was infused with some of the best JI contributors and very little of the junior high school popularity inside joke BS.  A year before JI was sold I had just about given up on sports forums as an entity, this place saved it for me.  JN is a dream, truly is.

SAR I

I agree that this place is way better than JI was.  And while I understand you had your issues with some in the Hampur, a lot of the posters in there were great guys. Some of the threads in that forum were truly fun to be a part of.

6 hours ago, win4ever said:

I still don't understand, how they thought migration was the best mode of preservation there.  Someone on that team had to see it wasn't a good idea because people sort of like talking to similarly minded people, otherwise there are about seven Jets sites alone that should see consistent cross traffic. 

Thanks, I actually write that mainly so it stands out.  I feel like it's under-represented in the NFL and very few sites actually do it (I believe fieldguls, the SB nation site for the Seahawks do it on their site) and Brent Kollman (the guy that made the famous Hackenberg video) does it for the Texans from time to time because that's his team.  Other than that, it's really hard to find, so I figured it was the best way to write and inform the fans, without just repeating the same thing over and over again.  I just have to accept that it's a niche field because there is a limited amount of people that will read 4000 word articles, lol.  

If there's one thing I know about big business it's that far too often the object isn't to provide consumers a great product to buy, the object is to provide bankers a good company to buy.  Scout was never a success for fans, at least from an NFL perspective, but it had all the 2008 Wall Street buzzwords covered.  Content.  Mashup.  Pivot.  Uniques.  Marketplace.  Aggregation.  All it takes is one savvy frontman to pitch the idea well to one naive banker, boom, an hour later they all make millions.  And this cycle repeats until the brand is soiled, all the bankers know it's not a good model, and then they toss it aside and let it rot.

And your analogy is a good one-  if Jets fans wanted one gigantic discussion forum that aggregated the 3 or 4 popular ones out there, well, we'd have all migrated to just one of them by now, perhaps the Jets own official forum as an example.  But we don't.  Why?  Because we like smaller groups to talk with.  It's actually the advantage a site like JN has over Twitter or what Scout was trying to become.  Here we have, what, 30 posters that most of us would recognize and recall their points of view and backgrounds, maybe 40 of them.  You get on some mammoth Jets site that is a conglomerate of all forums, what a mess, no one would stand out, you'd be talking to yourself.

Back to the original point, Scout was all about getting VC to think it was cool to own a sports conglomerate in the portfolio, and for a few years that's all it needed to do.  But by the 3rd or 4th year, time's up, it's about the numbers as those bankers move on to the next big thing.

SAR I

55 minutes ago, Dcat said:

There are a lot of fantastic posters over at "the hampur" forum.  They aren't all from that crude, kindergarten group you are referring to.  The folks I'm talking about would enrich this site tremendously if they came over here. I can think of at least 15 posters there that really should be here instead of that dump.  But they are invested in that site and for some reason never put their big toe over here.  Upon the demise of JI, I joined this one and that one.  But it quickly became clear that the bathroom antics of "hampur" was too juvenile and just plain waste of time.  I'd love for the actual good posters and content over there to merge here, but that would take a defection of many and how could we keep out the goofballs who degrade Hampur into the mess that it is?    But lets not generalize the way you are that there is no good content there.  There is.

Apologies, I've actually never ventured over there (though there was someone apparently posing as me causing some issues in its first year, someone told me that, I don't remember who).  The risk of those good posters you refer to coming here is obvious as you point out, best not to encourage it.

SAR I

57 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The 1st big indiscretion was being urged to go to a new forum and the new forum looked like ti was the 1st web forum ever invented, it was about 100 times worse than the existing forum.

And I'll tell you another indiscretion-  I don't think Sooth was Sean the few weeks leading up to the cut-over, I believe he signed an NDA, gave his login credentials to someone at Scout, got his check, disappeared, and they had one of their integration people pretend to be Sean and it's been that way ever since.

I suspect this because I was pretty upset and moderately anti-Scout and Sean went from scolding me in threads on the subject to coddling me, one day he was taking my post count to zero and considering me dead to him and the next day he PM'd me offering me a free lifetime VIP subscription for sticking with the community in the move.

SAR I

Scout was just awful.  I wish i knew the details of why sean did it and how much he got. 

That dud Hyatt.... Good grief what an annoying poster. 

A lot of fun  guys s went to the hampur.  So did a lot of dopes.  No bigger dope than the founder of that site though. Internet tough guy is an understatement. Huge pus in real life for sure.  Just couldnt handle his dumb threats and claims of jailtime and mafia connections.  2 bit street thug at best i wouldnt hire that dope to even mow my property

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

How did we do it the last six ******* times?

35 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Scout was just awful.  I wish i knew the details of why sean did it and how much he got. 

That dud Hyatt.... Good grief what an annoying poster. 

A lot of fun  guys s went to the hampur.  So did a lot of dopes.  No bigger dope than the founder of that site though. Internet tough guy is an understatement. Huge pus in real life for sure.  Just couldnt handle his dumb threats and claims of jailtime and mafia connections.  2 bit street thug at best i wouldnt hire that dope to even mow my property

Let's not start any problems with other sites. I met the guy that runs the Hampur, he seemed cool. We chatted for awhile and got along well.

No need to bash people who aren't here. Except Sooth, lol.

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

Let's not start any problems with other sites. I met the guy that runs the Hampur, he seemed cool. We chatted for awhile and got along well.

No need to bash people who aren't here. Except Sooth, lol.

Oh good.  I appreciate the permission to bash that lying prick, Sean Deegan.  He promised everyone a refund if we bought into the extra charge for premium content on Scout  and we didn't like it.  I must have sent 4 emails requesting my money back.  I sent a two paypal requests to get it back as well.  Sean Deegan was full of sh...it. He lied.  Never responded top any of the requests.  I'm not hurting for the $55 or whatever it was.  But if I'm promised a refund if not satisfied, I expect you to honor that request.  And I made the request within a month of joining Scout when it was clear that Scout was horrible and mostly a ghost town. So with that, I use this forum to say F-ck You to the lying prick, Sean Deegan.

thanks Dad @Maxman for the permission!  ;)

17 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

No one with an IQ over 30 pays for any news service. I still haven't met a person that actually pays for ESPN insider service.

No one with an IQ between 30 and 70 can even talk.  Just saying.  However, I have caught my GSD looking at the Wall Street Journal  :)

5 hours ago, Dcat said:

You hit the nail on the head with both of the paragraphs quoted above.  You know that I am an avid FF guy with multiple leagues , some I manage myself and I play in several others, with high entry fees and pay outs.  I fully admit that a major reason I have becoime so heavily involved in FF is not so much to win money, but to keep myself involved, active and excited each game day when the team I have been rooting for since infancy is out of the running by mid October (which happens way too often). Oh, it's still disappointing and depressing when we get seasons like the last one, but the FF involvement is a great distraction from that perennial downer.  If the Jets were a dominant team, I just know that my involvement in FF would decrease.

As for content here, I too relish in the reading the game breakdown, videos and analysis that I find here and other Jets forums.  Great value for sure.  Much appreciate all the folks like @win4ever for those moments. Currently, the Draft Philosphy thread is about the most interesting one going on page 1 and you just don't get that kind of discussion anywhere else except at Hampur.   EDIT:  How could I leave out the wonderful draft forum?  Best draft talk anywhere on the internet for Jets fans.

Good post Scott.  I fully agree with your entire post, but the two points above really hit home for me.

I think fantasy really keeps people engaged because every game actually has purpose.  It wasn't really my teams that mattered, but I think the other teams.  Being just a fan, I couldn't care less about say Chicago in any sport, but when I did my fantasy, I cared deeply about any team.  I think it's the biggest reason why small market teams (outside of NFL) are getting high valuations because there is a high number of people that watch those teams just for their guys, raising TV revenue.  So for example, I'll watch a decent amount of a Sacramento Kings game if Demarcus Cousins was my highest paid player in DFS, even though I couldn't care less about the teams involved in the game.  

I think it's the biggest vehicle for sports now, instead of parity, to attract fans.  Attract fans to fantasy sports, get them hooked, and watch them be interested in out of market teams.  It also helps with the general knowledge of the public because people know who Tyreek Hill is by Week 2 of his breakout, instead of waiting until a national TV game.   

Thanks, although I do wish more people actually did those breakdowns.  It's much easier for lazy me to read breakdowns than type it up, lol.  

4 hours ago, SAR I said:

If there's one thing I know about big business it's that far too often the object isn't to provide consumers a great product to buy, the object is to provide bankers a good company to buy.  Scout was never a success for fans, at least from an NFL perspective, but it had all the 2008 Wall Street buzzwords covered.  Content.  Mashup.  Pivot.  Uniques.  Marketplace.  Aggregation.  All it takes is one savvy frontman to pitch the idea well to one naive banker, boom, an hour later they all make millions.  And this cycle repeats until the brand is soiled, all the bankers know it's not a good model, and then they toss it aside and let it rot.

And your analogy is a good one-  if Jets fans wanted one gigantic discussion forum that aggregated the 3 or 4 popular ones out there, well, we'd have all migrated to just one of them by now, perhaps the Jets own official forum as an example.  But we don't.  Why?  Because we like smaller groups to talk with.  It's actually the advantage a site like JN has over Twitter or what Scout was trying to become.  Here we have, what, 30 posters that most of us would recognize and recall their points of view and backgrounds, maybe 40 of them.  You get on some mammoth Jets site that is a conglomerate of all forums, what a mess, no one would stand out, you'd be talking to yourself.

Back to the original point, Scout was all about getting VC to think it was cool to own a sports conglomerate in the portfolio, and for a few years that's all it needed to do.  But by the 3rd or 4th year, time's up, it's about the numbers as those bankers move on to the next big thing.

SAR I

It had potential, but whoever ran that thing had no clue how to actually run a website.  I think it was the same thing with the guy that ran the site I talked about, people assume that just because there is a site with good graphics, people will come.   

Yeah, the idea of forums stands because it's a community within a community.  If you go to different Jets sites, there will be different lines of thinking and meshing it all together just results in disaster.  For example, JI was much more of inside jokes, turning everything into jabs with the posters.  Scout was the complete opposite, over moderated, anti-joking, and very rigid in it's stance.  You mix that together and people are going to clash and turn everything into "This is JI! No This is Scout!" battle and you lose the community because you have to pick a side.  I think at one point, people were trying to contact the hotel Hyatt because this guy was using their trademark, and arguing trademark infringement or something, like it mattered.  

The worst was when ESPN opened up comments for a brief period of time.  Just a cesspool of idiots trolling every article to the point that it wasn't even worth to think about an article.   

I think it had potential, because years ago, Scout was better than the virus infested junk that was Bleacher Report.  I believe TBS bought it, and completely changed the way they operated.  It was all based on getting people to click through slideshows and ads to create clicks on their articles, and drove people nuts.  They consolidated it, gave people what they want in a news feed across the board, designed a great app, and actually brought in some decent staff to give it credibility.  I think Scout could have gone that way too, but they stuck with the same old plan.  You see it a lot of times in business, where they fail to change with the times even though they had the means to do so (famously Blockbuster and Kodak).  

4 hours ago, flgreen said:

The worst thing that sooth did at the end was to lie to, and trick the board members to update their e-mail address so that Scout could spam them

Yeah, that was pretty low.  Although, I sign up for all the forums with a throwaway account so it didn't matter, lol.  I'm sure that email was spammed daily by Scout.  

22 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

No one with an IQ over 30 pays for any news service. I still haven't met a person that actually pays for ESPN insider service. 

It's all relative. If you have a ton of money. You have money to waste. 

I do miss some of the truly epic -palooza threads we had at JI back when it was still a thing.  But I was splitting my time between both of these boards for a while when the Scout thing went down so it was an easy transition for me to just hunker down here and never look back.  And then the flag football tournament sealed the deal.  We really need to do something like that again, Phil, even if it's just a pickup game.

Archived