Sign in to follow this  
kelly

Secondary dept. ~ ~ ~

Rich CiminiESPN Staff Writer 

Remember all that talk two years ago about how the Jets were going to have one of the best secondaries in the NFL? Well, it didn't work out that way. Of the four free agents they signed in 2015 - Darrelle Revis, Antonio Cromartie, Marcus Gilchrist and Buster Skrine -- the only player still on the roster is Skrine. Gilchrist became the latest to go, an expected move on Thursday. Total out-of-pocket cost for the four : $69 million.

Yikes       :eek:

>        http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/new-york-jets

Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.

Rich Cimini ESPN Staff Writer 

Jets No. 1 pick Jamal Adams already has impressed with his intangibles. Adams, who takes pride in his film study, said he was able to call out a couple of offensive plays before the snap in today's practice. He's also known for his leadership traits.

-- Jamal Adams passed his first test.

Even though it's hard to get an accurate read on players in non-padded practices, the New York Jets' prized rookie provided a snapshot of his potential in the team's three-day minicamp, which concluded Thursday. The former LSU safety displayed his physical skill, making an interception and breaking up a pass. What jumped out, though, was his mental game, especially pre-snap.On a couple of plays, Adams figured out the offensive play and barked directions to his teammates, alerting them to what he saw. He took charge of the situation, showing no rookie hesitation whatsoever.

"I'm not to the point where I'm seeing a lot of things right, but I'm seeing some things," he said. "I'm always working on that every day, being a student of the game."

The Jets have big expectations for Adams, who worked with the first-team defense throughout the offseason practices. He will be a Week 1 starter at safety, along with fellow rookie Marcus Maye. Adams admitted he was indecisive in the early practices, but he outgrew that quickly."Now I'm moving around, I'm flying to the ball, calling out plays, just knowing the playbook," he said. "There are still some wrinkles, some mistakes that I've made. I'm trying to get better each and every day. When we come back in training camp, everything has to be perfect."

A look at some of the players who helped their stock in minicamp -- and some who didn't.

RISERS

~ ~ CB Juston Burris: He got beat deep once on Thursday (lucky for him it was an overthrow), but Burris has worked his way into the conversation at cornerback. He was used as the No. 3 corner, behind Morris Claiborne and Buster Skrine. In nickel, Skrine played the slot, with Burris and Claiborne on the outside. Burris had one of the six interceptions in camp.

~ ~ CB Marcus Williams: He could find himself in a battle to retain his spot in the pecking order. Darryl Roberts, who had an interception and a pass break-up, could overtake Williams as the No. 4 corner.

rest of above article : 

>     http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/69382/rookie-jamal-adams-calls-out-plays-before-they-happen-sometimes

-- It's not something Morris Claiborne is proud of, but it is the truth: The immensely talented cornerback is the very definition of injury-prone.

Claiborne hasn't played a full season in his first five years. Since 2013, he has missed an astounding 32 games -- two full seasons worth. Most seem to have accepted Claiborne's injury woes. Some players can't stay healthy.

Claiborne, who signed with the Jets this offseason, is not one of those people. Which is why his goal for this season is simple:

Play.

Seriously. Just play.

"That's on the top of my list," Claiborne told NJ Advance Media at his locker last week.

Coming out of LSU in 2012, Claiborne was the top cornerback in the NFL Draft. The Cowboys selected him with the No. 6 pick. He flashed a ton in 15 games as a rookie, but injury, after injury, after injury prevented him from reaching his full potential.In 2013, a strained hamstring sidelined him six games. In 2014, a torn patellar tendon cost him 12 games. In 2015, he missed five games with ankle and hamstring issues. Last year, it was a groin injury which took him out of the lineup for nine weeks.Oh, and don't forget wrist and shoulder issues (twice) which caused Claiborne to miss valuable time in training camp and the preseason.These constant body impairments forced the Cowboys hand, and they let him walk in free agency this year. The cornerback-needy Jets snatched him up, figuring he was worth the gamble. Claiborne is ready to reward them for their investment. It took half a decade, but he thinks he finally found a way to stay on the field :

Stretch and rest. Rest and stretch.

Following the advice of former Dallas teammates Sean Lee and Jason Witten, Claiborne changed his offseason approach. He used to go 100 miles an hour 100 percent of the time. Now, he's giving his body a chance to both warm up, and cool own."When you're coming in, and you're young, you feel you can do anything," Claiborne said. "You feel you can go off two hours and sleep and go get it done. As you get older, you realize the stress this game puts on your body. My body is my temple now."I'm watching what I put in it, and I stay after hours to take care of it. I'm stretching three or four times a day each day. These are things I wouldn't do in the past because I felt like I didn't need to."The Jets concluded their offseason conditioning program Thursday, the final touch a three-day minicamp. For the first time in his career, Claiborne said he's leaving for summer vacation feeling "really good." He was always "as sore as you know what."

It's too early to tell if this will keep him healthy throughout the regular season. But if it does, the Jets may have signed the steal of free agency.

In 2016, Claiborne played in seven games. He had 26 tackles, an interception and five pass breakups. OK numbers, but nothing to write home about. Take a deeper dive into the analytics, and you'll see Claiborne's true impact on defense.According to PFF, quarterbacks threw at Claiborne 48 times on his 265 defensive snaps. They had a cumulative passer rating of 64.1, and a completion percentage of 54.2. Claiborne allowed 26 total receptions for 214 yards with one touchdown.The Jets two starting cornerbacks last year -- Darrelle Revis and Buster Skrine -- allowed passer ratings of 104.2 and 94.7 respectively.

"I know when I'm on the field what I can do," Claiborne said. "The league knows when I'm on the field what I can do. I can go and take away a whole side of a football field."

The Jets would certainly welcome that. They'll face an abundance of elite-level receivers this season. Amari Cooper (Raiders), Demaryius Thomas (Broncos), Julio Jones (Falcons) and Mike Evans (Bucs), just to name a few, will attempt to torment coach Todd Bowles' secondary.Claiborne hopes Bowles gives him a chance to play those guys 1-on-1, the "highest compliment" a coach can give a cornerback, he says. It sounds like Bowles hasn't ruled it out, either.

"You can put him on them," Bowles said. "If we decided to do that, he's good enough to play man-to-man."

Claiborne's deal with the Jets ends after this season, where, for the third time in three years, he'll be a free agent. In his negotiations with the Jets, though, general manager Mike Maccagnan implied if he stays healthy and plays well, One Jets Drive will become his permanent home.Claiborne wants that to happen. And he's certain it will.

"There's no doubt in my mind," Claiborne said. "I'm going to be back here."

>     http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/06/jets_morris_claiborne_determined_to_stay_healthy_i.html#incart_river_index

As the Jets get close to training camp, I am going to examine the roster and give you my top 25 players. Each weekday, we will reveal another person on the list, leading right into camp. I am not including rookies on this list because I do not feel it is possible to fully evaluate them before they play a game.

No. 18: Buster Skrine

Last year’s ranking: 13

Position: Cornerback

How acquired: Signed a four-year, $25 million contract on March 10, 2015

Years left on contract: 2

2017 Salary Cap figure: $8.5 million

Looking back at 2016: Skrine started 14 games for the Jets last year, missing two due to injuries. He played on the outside in the base defense and moved inside in nickel.Skrine had a disappointing season. He had just one interception and led the team in penalties with 10 (two declined).Pro Football Focus ranked Skrine the 87th cornerback out of the 111 they graded. The website had him 90th in coverage.After a promising start with the Jets in 2015, Skrine struggled along with the rest of the Jets secondary last year. He grabbed receivers too much, getting flagged for four holding penalties and three pass interference calls. Six of his penalties came in one game against the Cardinals.

Outlook for 2017: Skrine is the last man standing from the great secondary spending spree of 2015. Darrelle Revis, Antonio Cromartie and Marcus Gilchrist are gone. Skrine has the Jets’ second-highest salary cap number behind just Muhammad Wilkerson.The Jets need a jump from Skrine this year. Right now, he is the No. 2 cornerback behind Morris Claiborne. Like last year, he is starting on the outside in base and then shifting inside in nickel. Second-year player Juston Burris is gaining on him, though, and it would not be a shock to see Burris take over that outside role completely.

New secondary coach Dennard Wilson must figure out a way to get Skrine to cut down on the penalties. It has been a problem for his entire career.It also would be nice to see Todd Bowles and Kacy Rodgers get back to using Skrine as a blitzer off the edge, as they did in his first year with the Jets. He was a disruptive force in several games in 2015. That did not happen much last year, perhaps because of the other issues on the back end of the defense.

>        http://nypost.com/2017/07/05/buster-skrine-cant-afford-a-repeat-of-last-season/

The New York Jets were a bad football team in 2016. That’s not news to anybody who follows the team, but they weren’t just bad in a couple of aspects.

They were bad almost everywhere on the field.

From the quarterbacks providing almost no production all year long to the secondary getting abused week in and week out, there is no doubt that this team needs to improve in a lot of areas if they hope to have a better season in 2017.

So, which unit needs the most improvement ?

It would be easy to look at the quarterbacks and say that they have to improve the most, but it doesn’t really matter what the Jets quarterback does if the other team’s signal caller is having a field day every single week.If the 2017 New York Jets hope to have any kind of success, the secondary is going to have to step up to the plate more than any other unit.

It is an almost completely revamped unit after the Jets decided to cut ties with Darrelle Revis, Calvin Pryor and Marcus Gilchrist. In an effort to avoid the disaster that was the Jets secondary in 2016, a youth movement has overcome the unit.Led by fresh faces Jamal Adams, Marcus Maye and free agent acquisition Morris Claiborne, the secondary can’t get any worse than it was a year ago.

Although both rookies, Adams and Maye arguably have more talent than Pryor and Gilchrist. What it comes down to for those two is learning how to play together as the team’s safety tandem. Communication, an issue last season, will be the key.Claiborne will assume the No. 1 cornerback spot on the depth chart and Juston Burris seems primed to take a step up opposite of him.

Returning is slot corner Buster Skrine, who had an up and down 2016 to say the least. There’s no denying Skrine’s talent, but he has to be more consistent for the Jets in 2017 as one of the veterans in the secondary.At this point, the only direction that this Jets secondary can head in is up. This unit would be hard pressed to be any worse than the unit of 2016 and if they are, the Jets will be in big trouble.

>     http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2017/07/08/which-new-york-jets-unit-needs-the-most-improvement/

Breaking down the New York Jets' roster, unit by unit, in preparation for training camp, which begins July 29:

Position: Secondary

Projected starters: Morris Claiborne, Juston Burris, Buster Skrine (nickel) at cornerback; Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye at safety.

Projected reserves: Marcus Williams, Darryl Roberts and Derrick Jones at corner; Rontez Miles and Doug Middleton at safety.

Notables on the bubble: Dexter McDougle, Shamarko Thomas, Corey Whiteand Jeremy Clark (sixth-round pick, likely PUP).

Top storyline: Adams and Maye -- drafted in the first and second rounds, respectively -- will be on the accelerated program. The two rookies have a lot to learn and not much time to do it, as both are expected to be opening-day starters. Todd Bowles' defense is mentally challenging, especially for the safeties. It would be hard to break in one rookie, let alone two. There will be growing pains, but the Jets are willing to grin and bear it. They traded their only proven insurance policy (Calvin Pryor), so it'll be sink or swim with the kids. It's worth noting that Adams still hasn't signed.

Player to watch: Burris, a fourth-round pick last year, is their top young cornerback. He should've played more than 178 defensive snaps last season, according to coordinator Kacy Rodgers. That's what happens when you remain loyal to a star on the decline. (See: Revis, Darrelle.) This year, the coaching staff expects Burris to take a big jump. Presumably, he will enter camp as the No. 3 corner, where he worked in the spring, but I expect him to overtake Skrine as the No. 2. Burris has the ideal dimensions to be a press-corner (6 feet, with 32-inch arms). He has to play with flawless technique because he doesn't have the catch-up speed to atone for mistakes at the line.

Wild card: Claiborne is one of the biggest wild cards on the team. Obviously, the talent is there (he was the sixth overall pick in 2012), but can he be trusted? He never has played a full season, and he missed 26 of the last 48 games for the Dallas Cowboys. The Jets took a $5 million flyer on Claiborne, hoping he can reverse his history. The training staff will work closely with him, devising a plan they hope will prevent injuries. Their fingers are crossed. He was their only significant acquisition at corner, where the Jets are dangerously vulnerable. The Jets are hoping the switch from Dallas' Cover-2 to a man-heavy scheme will unlock his unrealized potential.

Training camp will be a success if ...: Adams and Maye achieve a firm grasp of the defense. There will be mental mistakes along the way, but it's important to keep them to a minimum. Look for the two rookies to get a lot of playing time in the preseason, with Adams at strong safety and Maye at free. Hey, look at it this way: The secondary can't be any worse than last season, when Revis & Co. were exposed on a weekly basis.

By the numbers: Even when they pressured the quarterback, the Jets' pass defense didn't perform well -- a sign of poor coverage in the secondary. They allowed a 73.1 passer rating, which ranked 27th, per ESPN Stats & Information.

>    http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/69440/jets-revamped-secondary-hinges-on-new-kids-in-the-back

Overview
The Jets' cornerbacks in the year after Darrelle Revis departed are a green bunch and not just from the color of their defensive jerseys in training camp. Ten players are listed as CBs to start the summer and they average a mere 2.0 NFL seasons apiece. Juston Burrisicon-article-link.gif, last year's fourth-rounder, is joined by rookies/first-year players Jeremy Clarkicon-article-link.gif, Derrick Jonesicon-article-link.gif, Bryson Keetonicon-article-link.gif and Xavier Colemanicon-article-link.gif. The experience in the group will come from Morris Claiborneicon-article-link.gif, the unrestricted free agent from Dallas, and Buster Skrineicon-article-link.gif, the seventh-year pro and third-year Jet who new DBs coach Dennard Wilson says "has taken on more of a leadership role, especially with the rookies we have, and they're starting to jell and create a good nucleus."

In the Spotlight
Much has been expected of Claiborne since the Cowboys made him the sixth overall pick of the 2012 draft. But he had only four interceptions and 43 starts in his five years with the 'Pokes, primarily because of his mystifying penchant for injuries. "It's just been a whole lot of things that have happened where you ask yourself where that came from," he said this offseason. "I feel like when I'm healthy I can take a whole side of the field away." Wilson and Claiborne's teammates have seen his attentiveness to detail and competitiveness already and all are hoping for a breakout campaign for the Jets' new No. 21.

Position Battles
Claiborne's skill and experience give him a leg up on a starting job but the young corners will be going at it all summer to earn jobs in the base and the sub packages. Four players on this year's roster — Marcus Williamsicon-article-link.gif, Darryl Robertsicon-article-link.gif, Skrine and Burris — made starts for the Jets last season and each was in for at least 185 defensive plays. They will all in turn be pushed by fourth-year man Dexter McDougleicon-article-link.gif plus the "sophomores and freshmen" mentioned in the overview.

At the Front of the Room
Wilson coached up the Rams' DBs the previous two seasons. Last season was particularly impressive as he molded a young group similar in makeup to this year's Jets in that franchise's first year back in Los Angeles. The Rams pass defense, although not getting as much of a sack contribution up front as the year before, still ranked in the NFL's top 10 in yards allowed for the last nine weeks of the season, finishing 10th. Of his new charges on the Jets, Wilson says, "The defensive backs are outstanding, a lot of great, hard-working young men. I come to work passionate about being around them every day."

>      http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/Claiborne-Skrine-and-Lots-of-Youth/70a8e85e-4906-4d80-883a-26de0aa96135

At long last, the Jets didn’t finish last in a preseason ranking — but they were pretty close.

Pro Football Focus ranked all of the secondaries in the NFL. and well, the analytical site is not all that impressed with the Jets. PFF ranked New York’s tsecondary 28th out of 32 teams, noting the addition of Morris Claiborne as a major reason why the Jets were not lower.Claiborne finished his time with the Cowboys strong and had an overall grade of 84 for his performance in Dallas last season. The cornerback is now a major piece for this unit.

In addition, Marcus Williams and Buster Skrine will be depended on heavily to make plays in the secondary and keep opposing receivers in check during games. Altogether, those three will be extremely important in defending the aerial attack.The Jets will also hope that rookies Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye can help to bring along this defense. Obviously, they are young, but the Jets have seen promise in them. Adams especially has been turning heads during training camp.

As the Jets continue to rebuild and try to develop a winning culture in the organization, PFF provides them with even more bulletin board material to be used as motivation.

>    http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2017/07/20/pff-few-nfl-secondaries-worse-than-the-jets/

If our primary corners this year are Claiborne, Skrine and Williams I will consider Maccagnan a failure.  Burris, Clark and Jones were all late picks, but if none of them is worth more than Williams, I will be pissed.  There will be enough opportunities and some of the UDFA class are intriguing.

The New York Jets don't have to worry about any contract headaches when they report to training camp in eight days.

They have agreed to terms with first-round pick Jamal Adams, the rookie's agency announced Thursday night on Twitter. Per the rookie wage scale, he will make a fully guaranteed $22.3 million on a four-year contract. The team has an option for a fifth year.

Further details weren't immediately available, but it would be a $14.3 million signing bonus if the contract includes the standard structure.The former LSU safety, drafted sixth overall, is expected to be an immediate starter for the Jets. This means their entire draft class is under contract and it leaves only five unsigned first-rounders across the league.

>     http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/69790/agent-no-1-pick-jamal-adams-finalizes-deal-with-jets

That sound you heard this week was the opening of NFL training camps. We're inside six weeks now until the start of the regular season, and the grunting and sweating that's happening on all those far-flung practice fields will soon yield to real results.The play-by-play you get of camp practices can be fun, and it can soothe your football-starved soul. But it doesn't ultimately make much of a difference as to what happens once the real games start. Far more likely to matter is what has come before -- the moves made this offseason long before camps opened.

With that in mind, and with camps open across the league, here's a look at the offseason moves likely to have a major impact on the 2017 NFL season, in no particular order :

~ ~   nyj.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true   The New York Jets draft safety Jamal Adams

Look, it feels as if everything we say and write about the Jets is doom and gloom, and for the most part there's good reason for that. I don't expect them to be a good team in 2017. But Adams, the No. 6 overall pick, could be the most NFL-ready player in this year's rookie class, and the expectation is that he'll emerge as a leader right away and solidify things on that defense as the team adds pieces in the years to come. A great long-view pick for a team that has to be thinking that way.

rest of above article : 

>     http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20174005/nfl-most-impactful-offseason-moves-2017-preseason-training-camp

-- The Jets got very little game-changing production from their safeties, Calvin Pryor and Marcus Gilchrist, last year. 

While cornerback Buster Skrine didn't trash either guy, he believes the team's new duo -- rookies Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye -- will be "an upgrade" from Pryor and Gilchrist.

"They're very smart," Skrine told NJ Advance Media this week at training camp. "They're athletic. They can cover the field on the deep ball. They're better than a lot of safeties I've already played with in my career. Do I think they'll be an upgrade? Yeah, they'll be an upgrade. Both of them are really good. They're an upgrade."Skrine is entering his third season with the Jets. He played for the Browns from 2011-14. So he hasn't exactly played on a lot of outstanding teams. But he really likes Adams (a first-round draft pick) and Maye (a second-rounder). 

"They're extremely athletic," Skrine said. "They're both students of the game. I've got a lot of respect for them. Not saying our safeties were bad last year. I'm just saying they're really good."Skrine is being kind here. The Jets' safeties were not good last year. The organization traded Pryor to the Browns this offseason, and also cut Gilchrist, who sustained a serious knee injury late last season. Both moves were made after the Jets drafted Adams and Maye.

The Jets hope Adams and Maye can be their safety duo of the future, as the team rebuilds with younger players. And Skrine believes both players have big potential, as they step into starting roles as rookies -- no easy task for safeties."Jamal is the most athletic strong safety I've seen -- and coverage-wise," Skrine said. "He can do it all. He can move and he can guard a receiver. He can guard any tight end." 

>    http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/08/jets_buster_skrine_jamal_adams_marcus_maye_upgrade.html#incart_river_index

Steve McLendon can't always see what Marcus Maye does is in the secondary, but the 8th year pro says what the rookie brings to the table is necessary.

"The most amazing thing, for me, is to see young guys comes in and communicate," McLendon, part of perhaps the Jets' most talented unit on the defensive line. "To not be scared to talk, because we need it. They're going to see something that we're not going to see because we're down in the dirt. ... It's good to have young safeties come in and do their job."

Maye, a second-round pick out of Florida, did his job Saturday. Midway through the Jets' Green and White scrimmage, Maye picked off veteran Josh McCown near the left sideline and took it to the house 60 yards for a defensive score on a night the defense often outshined its competition at MetLife Stadium."Marcus made a heck of a play," said McCown, who threw the only pick of the night between himself, Christian Hackenberg and Bryce Petty. "We've talked about these two young safeties [along with first round pick Jamal Adams, who did not play Saturday] for a while now and how they carry themselves. ... Those guys are going to make plays sometimes."Maye and Adams, who sat out Saturday's scrimmage with a minor ankle injury, have big responsibilities as the expected starting tandem. They are the eyes of the defense, the quarterbacks of the unit -- and both have received high praise in just a short amount of time in New York since draft weekend.

"[Marcus] has been good," coach Todd Bowles said. "He's been solid. He doesn't play like a rookie so we just hope he keeps getting better."

The Jets jettisoned last year's starters Calvin Pryor and Marcus Gilchrist out of town this off-season, leaving the opportunity for both rookie safeties to begin the season and opening day starters. In a perfect world in the eyes of the Jets' brass, the organization landed their starting safety tandem for the next decade with the pair who come to the Jets by way of the SEC.

Maye, a 6-foot, 207-pound hard-hitting type, spent the past four years at Florida, where he racked up 5 INTs, 16 passes defended, six forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries to pair with 205 career tackles. He has flown relatively under the radar with Adams, out of LSU, being a first-round pick, though both have received their share of praise since draft night."I feel like any guy on our team belongs in the NFL," McLendon said. "As for Marcus, though, I said that about him in OTAs. Same thing with Adams. They came in and communicated the first day we showed up."And Maye showed up Saturday, highlighting the night with the game's biggest play.

"It's amazing for a young guy to come in and get a pick six and do it in front of his fans," McLendon said. "Hopefully, it can carry over to next week and we can continue to build on these little things."

>      http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/08/he_doesnt_play_like_a_rookie_jets_marcus_maye_cont.html#incart_river_index