I think I am done with the NFL

CanadaSteve

1 minute ago, ChuckkieB said:

This notion that the NFL is somehow fixed is absurd.  Just sour grapes from very sour Jets fans.  I hate Brady with the intensity of 1000 suns, but he is the greatest QB of all time and he proves it time and time again.  Gotta give him that. 

Goodell is so dumb he couldn't fix the nfl if he had David Stern and the entire NBA referees' union helping him

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, C Mart said:

If Ryan completed a pass for TD it would have been "a great, aggressive play that dumb, conservative Bowles would never call"  

If they ran it and got stopped, missed the FG it would have been "a dumb, conservative Bowles-like call, should have gone for the kill"  

I love you but I strongly disagree.  The fact that Atlanta with over a 20 point lead ran it less than 6 times in the second half is insanity!!

it wasn't just that play my friend!!!!

Sometimes coaches just blow it plain and simple.  

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer 12m12 minutes ago

Have to wonder how much Alex Mack's injury influenced this. Hard to run inside, and Pats started to get a bead on Atlanta going outside.

Peter Schrager ‏@PSchrags 

Wild stat. Falcons called only 5 running plays after securing a 28-3 lead.

even with a huge lead, they ran the ball just four more times for 10 yards.

https://theringer.com/super-bowl-li-atlanta-falcons-offensive-meltdown-matt-ryan-kyle-shanahan-8d30236f1a2c#.l0x06fcho

2 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Back in the day, folks said the same b/s about the Niners, Dallas, Green Bay.....  As cliche as it sounds, great teams and players come up big in crunch time and find a way to win.  Main reason why we always suck.  Since 1969, our team has been populated with chokers, idiots, scrubs, and a list of dopes as coaches and GMs that even the Almighty has trouble fathoming.

I am from "back in the day" and no folks didnt say that the NFL was rigged!!  That is just nonsense.   

The only bias I saw was against Oakland and Al Davis.  The immaculate reception game comes to mind. The rules were different the ball was tipped and shouldn't have been ruled a completed pass a call came in and a ref picked up a flag. It was called fixing a game and punishing a rebell owner. 

But no, the burning of potentially criminal eveidence started this and Fans are jaded now and unwilling to give the Pats their due.   

Just now, Charlie Brown said:

I am from "back in the day" and no folks didnt say that the NFL was rigged!!  That is just nonsense.   

The only bias I saw was against Oakland and Al Davis.  The immaculate reception game comes to mind. The rules were different the ball was tipped and shouldn't have been ruled a completed pass a call came in and a ref picked up a flag. It was called fixing a game and punishing a rebell owner. 

But no, the burning of potentially criminal eveidence started this and Fans are jaded now and unwilling to give the Pats their due.   

You forgot Franco Harris' "catch"?  To this day, folks claim that game was taken away from them and fixed by the NFL/refs.  There are myriad other examples.  You just haven't been listening.

6 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

You forgot Franco Harris' "catch"?  To this day, folks claim that game was taken away from them and fixed by the NFL/refs.  There are myriad other examples.  You just haven't been listening.

Ummm that was the game I was referring to!!

The game which you are obviously only vaguely familiar with was the game with which my post correctly noted was the "immaculate conception " game!!

I seem to be listening very well thank you. 

You you Pats Lover!!!! :) 

1 minute ago, Charlie Brown said:

The game which you are obviously only vaguely familiar with was the game with which my post correctly noted was the "immaculate conception " game!!

That has a religious meaning.. I do remember the Immaculate Reception though..:)

8 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Dude you don't know what you're talking about.  There are countless examples of the FBI investigating the NFL for game fixing dating back to championship games in the 1940s.  Go look up Paul Hornung's association with known gamblers.  Alex Karras.  A ton of others.  From day one, people have believed the games could be fixed.  Whether it's true or not  is for someone with more knowledge than me to deduce.

1 minute ago, munchmemory said:

Dude you don't know what you're talking about.  There are countless examples of the FBI investigating the NFL for game fixing dating back to championship games in the 1940s.  Go look up Paul Hornung's association with known gamblers.  Alex Karras.  A ton of others.  From day one, people have believed the games could be fixed.  Whether it's true or not  is for someone with more knowledge than me to deduce.

And Hornung still made the HOF..

10 hours ago, Jetsfan_always said:

I stopped watching a long time ago - notice how many years since I last posted.

I am absolutely CONVINCED the NFL is as rigged/fixed as horse racing and wrestling, there is way too much money to leave things to chance.  Every rational person hates brady/belicheck as both are lowlifes, and like wrestling with the heel beating up on the good guy until the end, the whole league is scripted.  Seriously, the guy is 40 years old and you can't knock him out of the game?  Such total and complete garbage.

This was literally the first NFL game I watched in almost 5 years, and shut it off after the 3rd qtr; the ending was as obvious as a bad fiction novel.  The dupes are the brainwashed americans still watching this corporate manufactured, packaged tripe meant to keep people's attention away from the government robbing them blind.

I'm pretty sure this is the first post I've ever read from you but you are already one of my favorite posters on JN (that last sentence!).  What other forum(s) do you chat on?

13 hours ago, Tinstar said:

It's called football. I remember many a jet fan criticizing Herman Edwards when he elected to run the football at Pittsburg and try for 2 game Winning FGs . The kicker missed and Herm was a Moron .

Jet fans are the kings of second guessing .

There was absolutely nothing wrong with the call, only that the NFL MVP made a Play that Jets fans told us over and over that only Geno Smith would make . The RB chipped the defensive end, but considering where the ball was and the point in the game, Matt Ryan should have thrown the ball to the RB instead of taking that sack . In that instance, you either run a screen or a draw, and the screen was there to the RB.

It was a terrible play by a veteran QB and it cost them a shot at points  that could have put the game out of reach .

I don't remember criticizing Herm for running the ball.  I remember criticizing him for taking a knee and losing yardage when his kicker needed all the help he could get.  

12 hours ago, C Mart said:

Could have said that in the first half?  Goodell doesn't want Pats to win? 

Um, I am not really a conspiracy theorist, but it was the 2nd quarter when the refs decided that stopping the Pats 3rd down was a defensive hold.  Pats were going to be gifted a score that drive if Brady didn't dole out the pick 6.  It was as soon as there was a 2 score lead.

Check when the Pats were called for penalties.  Plenty of them happened when they had negative plays, so the penalty would be declined. They run that bullsh*t WR screen where the other guys in trips are blocking downfield before the ball is thrown.  When the LB or S stuffed it they call offensive PI.  When it is successful?  Not so much.  Also, I assume this is a rule and not a blatant cheat, but how the **** do they enforce the 2 point conversion offsides on the kickoff?  If the Pats wanted to take that penalty they should have to run the play over.  What the ****? It was not a post play penalty or a personal foul. 

11 hours ago, Jetsfan_always said:

I am absolutely CONVINCED the NFL is as rigged/fixed as horse racing and wrestling, there is way too much money to leave things to chance.  Every rational person hates brady/belicheck as both are lowlifes, and like wrestling with the heel beating up on the good guy until the end, the whole league is scripted.  Seriously, the guy is 40 years old and you can't knock him out of the game?  Such total and complete garbage.

This was literally the first NFL game I watched in almost 5 years, and shut it off after the 3rd qtr; the ending was as obvious as a bad fiction novel.  The dupes are the brainwashed americans still watching this corporate manufactured, packaged tripe meant to keep people's attention away from the government robbing them blind.

The government doesn't rob a dime from the people. that's the job for the people who own the government.

13 hours ago, Tinstar said:

It's called football. I remember many a jet fan criticizing Herman Edwards when he elected to run the football at Pittsburg and try for 2 game Winning FGs . The kicker missed and Herm was a Moron .

Jet fans are the kings of second guessing .

There was absolutely nothing wrong with the call, only that the NFL MVP made a Play that Jets fans told us over and over that only Geno Smith would make . The RB chipped the defensive end, but considering where the ball was and the point in the game, Matt Ryan should have thrown the ball to the RB instead of taking that sack . In that instance, you either run a screen or a draw, and the screen was there to the RB.

It was a terrible play by a veteran QB and it cost them a shot at points  that could have put the game out of reach .

No.  Edwards had them run when they were on the edge of FG range on a field notoriously hard to hit FGs from that distance.  Not only did he call for a run but he then had chad take a knee, losing a couple of yards, making the kick more difficult.  Not the same as being on the 20, indoors, with a chip shot 

From where they were, running at 6.5 a pop, there was only one right call.  Run and eat up clock.  At least force the Pats to use their TOs.  Passing has too many negative possibilities.  Sacks, ints, holding call, etc would take points off the board.  And save TOs and clock.  Dumb as it gets.  Three runs never would have taken them out of FG range. And would have run minutes off the clock.  

Missed face mask was a killer too 

45 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Fixing games on an individual basis is quite different from the NFL itself fixing contests.  Indeed the NIT scandal of the 1960's predates all of what you cite and yes I know all of that history but I think that is vastly different from when you have institutional collusion in covering up crimes.  Big difference IMO.

I believe that an excellent post in this thread was Warfish's where he notes that the Pats are great and may have the greatest coach and QB of all time and that is what makes their skirting of the rules so maddening.

11 hours ago, Jetsfan_always said:

No politics please. Thanks. Fair point though.

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

No running it on first and second down WAS the only real call in that spot. First and 10 on the 22, two runs either take another 2 minutes off the clock or cost NE more timeouts and at worst you are looking at a 39 yard field goal.  And with the Falcons spreading the field it is highly unlikely they get stuffed three times. If they run 3 times there the Falcons win the SB 99% of the time. 

Think about that....  The Falcons fans must be so fukkin pissed this morning. they had the GREATEST pitching staff ever in baseball and have 1 WS to show.  They had the SB in the bag....  and your point above is like a knife in the eye.

To those doubting the NFL is fixed, I ask you two questions to think about:

1) what other activity that involves tens of BILLIONS of dollars would be left to chance as to how it was presented?  Do people who build resorts randomly allow architects to cobble them together?  Do people who put up $250 MM for a movie just hire people off the street and say make something up?  There is WAY too much money going into the NFL by 32 extremely wealthy people/corporations running the teams for them to take a chance on random games, which leads to my second question:

2) which will lead to higher TV ratings (at millions per spot, no less): the Indianopolis Colts playing Atlanta, or the hated/despised/infamous Belichek and Tom Brady (with his famous model wife)?  Does anyone actually believe that TV companies will spend $20 BB on rights so that the SD chargers can play another small city franchise in the SB?

There is no way this much money is flowing in and buying random winners, it is simply not possible.

These mother****ers should be 2-6 in Super Bowls.

Who has three Super Bowls handed to them by offensive coordinators when they are completely dead to rites? Only the ******* Patriots. I hope Martz, Bevell, and Shanahan at least get rings under the table.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, Jetsfan_always said:

1) what other activity that involves tens of BILLIONS of dollars would be left to chance as to how it was presented?  Do people who build resorts randomly allow architects to cobble them together?  Do people who put up $250 MM for a movie just hire people off the street and say make something up?  There is WAY too much money going into the NFL by 32 extremely wealthy people/corporations running the teams for them to take a chance on random games, which leads to my second question:

2) which will lead to higher TV ratings (at millions per spot, no less): the Indianopolis Colts playing Atlanta, or the hated/despised/infamous Belichek and Tom Brady (with his famous model wife)?  Does anyone actually believe that TV companies will spend $20 BB on rights so that the SD chargers can play another small city franchise in the SB?

There is no way this much money is flowing in and buying random winners, it is simply not possible.

And yet if the Falcons run the ball 3xs they win the game blowing up your theory.

Funny how that works 

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

And yet if the Falcons run the ball 3xs they win the game blowing up your theory.

Funny how that works 

But they didn't.  Go watch wrestling back in the 1970s, Bob Backlund is getting pounded and then...after 10 minutes of getting smashed he awakens like popeye with his spinach and wins, or like the old 1940s serials where the indy jones-type just saves the day in the waning seconds...yawn.  Running Man had a good take on it; TV-scripted violence with a cheering, clueless audience.  What's sad is that the audience knows they are being misled - and they still cheer and get frustrated.

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan_always said:

But they didn't.  Go watch wrestling back in the 1970s, Bob Backlund is getting pounded and then...after 10 minutes of getting smashed he awakens like popeye with his spinach and wins, or like the old 1940s serials where the indy jones-type just saves the day in the waning seconds...yawn.  Running Man had a good take on it; TV-scripted violence with a cheering, clueless audience.  What's sad is that the audience knows they are being misled - and they still cheer and get frustrated.

You say Running Man, but we know deep down you really mean the Hunger Games!

1 hour ago, Jetsfan_always said:

There are more people in San Diego than Seattle and Denver combined.

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Funny how that works 

Also, i fhis theory was legit, the NY Jets would be playing the LA Whatevers every year, to milk the two biggest sports markets in America.  Atlanta is a tiny nothing of a market.  No "fixed" league cares about Atlanta.

19 hours ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

First Seattle makes a boneheaded play call, now Atlanta calls a pass play when all they needed was to call a run play, then kick a fg...I guess you gotta be lucky to be good.

So the Patriots win again, what's it got to do with the Jets?

7 trips to the SB over the last 15 years?

Granted we have had our issues but if the Pats were in the NFC, would we have had more chances?

I would have to say so.

Just our luck to have the winningest SB franchise in recent memory in our division.

41 minutes ago, Flushing Roots said:

7 trips to the SB over the last 15 years?

Granted we have had our issues but if the Pats were in the NFC, would we have had more chances?

I would have to say so.

Just our luck to have the winningest SB franchise in recent memory in our division.

Try ever. 

Archived