I think I am done with the NFL

CanadaSteve

7 hours ago, Jetsfan_always said:

To those doubting the NFL is fixed, I ask you two questions to think about:

1) what other activity that involves tens of BILLIONS of dollars would be left to chance as to how it was presented?  Do people who build resorts randomly allow architects to cobble them together?  Do people who put up $250 MM for a movie just hire people off the street and say make something up?  There is WAY too much money going into the NFL by 32 extremely wealthy people/corporations running the teams for them to take a chance on random games, which leads to my second question:

2) which will lead to higher TV ratings (at millions per spot, no less): the Indianopolis Colts playing Atlanta, or the hated/despised/infamous Belichek and Tom Brady (with his famous model wife)?  Does anyone actually believe that TV companies will spend $20 BB on rights so that the SD chargers can play another small city franchise in the SB?

There is no way this much money is flowing in and buying random winners, it is simply not possible.

So how is it fixed?

The players/coaches would have to be in on it. Referees themselves can't fix it. Players still need to make plays. So the 3 Atl players knew to deflect the ball in the air knowing Edelman would make the catch. 

Most of these players can't learn a playbook how are they going to learn a "fix script". 

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On that play it looked like both players grabbed facemasks. The Pats player's helmet came off

Even if they both face masked each other it wouldn't of mattered....both teams committed penalties resulting in running the play over, problem is only Atlanta got called for a penalty which resulted in pushing them further from FG range.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

So how is it fixed?
The players/coaches would have to be in on it. Referees themselves can't fix it. Players still need to make plays. So the 3 Atl players knew to deflect the ball in the air knowing Edelman would make the catch. 
Most of these players can't learn a playbook how are they going to learn a "fix script". 

This. When using logic it is impossible to believe you could fix games. How many people would have to be in on it? Hundreds each year at minimum.....but yet not one ever speaks out, even decades after playing?

Its the same thing with 9/11 conspiracy theorists, it would be impossible to believe when you use logic.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Two things: First and foremost let me start by apologizing to everyone for CAUSING this to happen in the first place. I had no desire to watch the game because I figured it was going to be a Pats blowout victory. But then when I saw the Falcons being the ones doing the blowing out I couldn't resist and instead of loosely following the game via Twitter, I decided to switch over from Bogie's  Casablanca on TCM to Fox and...the game. Thus breaking the curse and causing the Patriots to win-I'm sorry.

and secondly; my new motto/meme has become "It's sometimes just a lot easier to NOT care." Everyone knows and mocks me about my yearly "I'm done with the NFL" tirades. But it's really the way over the past oh I'd say 4 or 5 years that I have come to feel. I know the game is crooked-I've seen it, you guys have ALL seen it too. It's a slightly less obvious version of pro wrestling where as in wrestling it takes some serious athleticism to be on the top tier but there is still a powerful force (gambling $$$) that controls what needs to happen and most of the time they get their way. So just like the other rigged contests (namely politics) we here in this side of the apartment have decided that for sanity's sake, we   really   just    don't    care. Sure we keep it in the corner of our eyes but the days of bleeding green are gone because it's sometimes just a lot easier to NOT care.

15 hours ago, Flushing Roots said:

7 trips to the SB over the last 15 years?

Granted we have had our issues but if the Pats were in the NFC, would we have had more chances?

I would have to say so.

Just our luck to have the winningest SB franchise in recent memory in our division.

of course if NE was in NFC we would have had more chances, we would have won a bunch of div titles and had home playoff games.  we would have made SBs and if we played in NFC we would have made SBs.  it's just our luck though, we had a really good run and it happened at the same time as the Brady's.

13 hours ago, C Mart said:

So how is it fixed?

In his new autobiography, NFL great Steve Young says a referee gave him a favorable call in the Dec. 15, 1985 game between the Buccaneers and the Indianapolis Colts in hopes Young would take the official's daughter out on a date.

A few excerpts from the book were published in Peter King's MMQB column.

Even on the field, I can’t escape the craziness. We play the Colts at home. Partway through the second quarter I’m in the huddle when the head referee taps me on the shoulder. “Can I talk to you for a second?” he says. I step away from the huddle. “Hey, listen, my daughter’s going to BYU,” he whispers. Next thing I know he starts trying to convince me that I should meet his daughter. “I'd like you to take her out,” he says.

I cannot believe this. We’re in the middle of a game! “Oh, okay,” I said. “What's her name?’’ He tells me and I return to the huddle ... Late in the game we’re down 31–23 and I'm trying to mount a comeback. I scramble out of the pocket and take a brutal hit. It causes me to fumble just before the whistle blows to stop the play. I am lying on the ground when the defense recovers the loose ball, all but sealing our defeat. Suddenly out of nowhere a yellow flag lands next to me. The referee whose daughter is headed to BYU calls a personal foul on the defense. First down, Tampa Bay. I get up and brush myself off. Then the ref walks past me and whispers she likes Italian food.

13 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

In his new autobiography, NFL great Steve Young says a referee gave him a favorable call in the Dec. 15, 1985 game between the Buccaneers and the Indianapolis Colts in hopes Young would take the official's daughter out on a date.

A few excerpts from the book were published in Peter King's MMQB column.

Even on the field, I can’t escape the craziness. We play the Colts at home. Partway through the second quarter I’m in the huddle when the head referee taps me on the shoulder. “Can I talk to you for a second?” he says. I step away from the huddle. “Hey, listen, my daughter’s going to BYU,” he whispers. Next thing I know he starts trying to convince me that I should meet his daughter. “I'd like you to take her out,” he says.

I cannot believe this. We’re in the middle of a game! “Oh, okay,” I said. “What's her name?’’ He tells me and I return to the huddle ... Late in the game we’re down 31–23 and I'm trying to mount a comeback. I scramble out of the pocket and take a brutal hit. It causes me to fumble just before the whistle blows to stop the play. I am lying on the ground when the defense recovers the loose ball, all but sealing our defeat. Suddenly out of nowhere a yellow flag lands next to me. The referee whose daughter is headed to BYU calls a personal foul on the defense. First down, Tampa Bay. I get up and brush myself off. Then the ref walks past me and whispers she likes Italian food.

understand...one.

my reply was to how it's a fixed sport directed by NFL itself. Your example is one call for a personal reason, which we all know can occur. Safe to say it won't be difficult to track down who this official was. Doubt he's still officiating today.

29 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

of course if NE was in NFC we would have had more chances, we would have won a bunch of div titles and had home playoff games.  we would have made SBs and if we played in NFC we would have made SBs.  it's just our luck though, we had a really good run and it happened at the same time as the Brady's.

They said the same thing about Tiger.  Phil was the #2 player for a 3-5 year run.  Yet he over came.  No IFS in his history. He is a HOF player who beat Tiger in his prime. Was he better? No, but he simply grew tired of being close and using could have and if to describe himself.

I agree we would have won a division title or 2, home playoffs yes but after that , who knows. We had good teams in 2009 and 2010 and simply were

not good enough and neither year had anything to do with Brady.

4 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

They said the same thing about Tiger.  Phil was the #2 player for a 3-5 year run.  Yet he over came.  No IFS in his history. He is a HOF player who beat Tiger in his prime. Was he better? No, but he simply grew tired of being close and using could have and if to describe himself.

I agree we would have won a division title or 2, home playoffs yes but after that , who knows. We had good teams in 2009 and 2010 and simply were

not good enough and neither year had anything to do with Brady.

2009 and 2010 we had to win 3 road games, no Brady and we would have had at least 1 home game making it a little easier.  2004 we got swept by NE, if we don't we are 12-4 and could have been the 2 seed.  it would have changed things in certain years.  we had some good teams from 2001-2010.  the bottom line is he was around and we couldn't get over the hump and get to a SB.  Hopefully we are all alive when it does happen next for this team.

17 hours ago, nyjunc said:

if there was a 9/11 fix why wouldn't they have had a NY team win?

I'm talking about NFL/Vegas fixing it so the 14 point dogs won the SB. The reference to 9/11 was purely because I forgot with SB # it was, but it was Rams/Pats.

Not suggesting that the NFL fixed it so that the Patriots won because: Patriotism. I think that was just a fortuitous bonus for the "story" part of it. It has more to do with Kraft being the owner that put Goodell in place. Just like this year's SB exposes that Goodell/Kraft and all of them are still all tight - despite the corny show they put on for the fans about their being a grudge between them. Deflategate was to shut up other whiny owners. Kraft still pulls Goodell's strings. 

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

2009 and 2010 we had to win 3 road games, no Brady and we would have had at least 1 home game making it a little easier.  2004 we got swept by NE, if we don't we are 12-4 and could have been the 2 seed.  it would have changed things in certain years.  we had some good teams from 2001-2010.  the bottom line is he was around and we couldn't get over the hump and get to a SB.  Hopefully we are all alive when it does happen next for this team.

I agree with all of that.  YET... Brady aside, we couldnt get it done so I think it is naive to assume we make it or even win a SB if "NO" Brady. The years we were taken out by the Pats our teams were average at best and riddled with a weak armed QB.  I know you love Chad but history shows, a cerebral QB liike Chad doesnt win SB's.  We have Dilfer as the only weak QB to ever really win one.    Wilson... he is special.  Chad is no Wilson.

On 2/6/2017 at 0:02 PM, #27TheDominator said:

Um, I am not really a conspiracy theorist, but it was the 2nd quarter when the refs decided that stopping the Pats 3rd down was a defensive hold.  Pats were going to be gifted a score that drive if Brady didn't dole out the pick 6.  It was as soon as there was a 2 score lead.

Check when the Pats were called for penalties.  Plenty of them happened when they had negative plays, so the penalty would be declined. They run that bullsh*t WR screen where the other guys in trips are blocking downfield before the ball is thrown.  When the LB or S stuffed it they call offensive PI.  When it is successful?  Not so much.  Also, I assume this is a rule and not a blatant cheat, but how the **** do they enforce the 2 point conversion offsides on the kickoff?  If the Pats wanted to take that penalty they should have to run the play over.  What the ****? It was not a post play penalty or a personal foul. 

On the conspiracy theory front, I make two points:

1. I think they tend to give calls to a team that is down big to make for a more exciting game. 

2. This video posts a couple of plays I was screaming about and I still have not heard why the Pats were able to accept the offsides on the ensuing kick off.  They should have had to accept or decline, not this best of both worlds sh*t.

Cheating scum.

On 2/6/2017 at 5:17 PM, nyjunc said:

Atlanta obviously made a million mistakes, that is how huge comebacks like that happen BUT if they just plunge into the line and settle for a FG and miss then all everyone talks about is how they got too conservative.  

And conservative when it's the right move is far better than getting beaten up for being aggressive when it's the wrong play.  Taking a few minutes off the clock, forcing the Pats use their TOs, was the smart and right play.  You won't get blamed for doing the right thing.  You should and will get killed for 3 passes, no clock mgt, no forced TOs and having to punt leading to the game tying drive, 

24 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And conservative when it's the right move is far better than getting beaten up for being aggressive when it's the wrong play.  Taking a few minutes off the clock, forcing the Pats use their TOs, is the smart and right play.  You don't get blamed for doing the right thing.  You get killed for 3 passes, no clock mgt, no forcing TOs and having to punt 

I agree but they would have gotten killed either way if they blew it. all that matters is the result.

4 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

You have a #1 over drafted QB on an MVP season and the game is on the line, you put the ball in his hand and hope he takes it to the next level proving he's HOF worthy. Matt Ryan proved he's not.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Ryan was great all year and played well in that game but he cannot under any circumstances take that sack.

On 2/5/2017 at 10:26 PM, CanadaSteve said:

So, one of two things just happened in the NFL.

Either you are the dumbest OC in the history of the sport, or your on the take.  There is no other explanation.

You are deep in NE territory, only six minutes left in the game, and if you kick a field goal, the game is over.  But you elect to call a pass play that takes you out of field goal range.  Then, you get a holding call that eliminates any chance.

The Patriots get the greatest comeback in NFL history to win in the only game to go to OT.

I CALL ABSOLUTE BULLsh*t> 

Twice! What about Pete Carroll's Seahawks going braindead in the last minute at the two yard line and calling a pass when they had the best RB in the league in short yardage situations. The Pats have been GIVEN two SB championships by the oddest play calls in history.

38 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I agree but they would have gotten killed either way if they blew it. all that matters is the result.

You get killed for blowing it but not for playing it wrong.  And the blame then shifts to the players away from the CS.

Big difference for Quinn. 

On 2017-02-06 at 5:17 PM, nyjunc said:

Atlanta obviously made a million mistakes, that is how huge comebacks like that happen BUT if they just plunge into the line and settle for a FG and miss then all everyone talks about is how they got too conservative.  

No, they would be talking about how they did the right thing and the kicker choked like Scott Norwood. 

There was ONE play there, and one play only.  Run the ball, make them stop you, make them burn their time outs, run the clock down, go ahead by 10 and win the game.  Done.

3 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

No, they would be talking about how they did the right thing and the kicker choked like Scott Norwood. 

There was ONE play there, and one play only.  Run the ball, make them stop you, make them burn their time outs, run the clock down, go ahead by 10 and win the game.  Done.

no they wouldn't, they'd complain how they got too conservative.  we still see people blaming Herm for setting up our K in the 2004 div rd at Pitt.  

I would have run it too but the point is all that matters is the result.  if they pass for a 1st down or go in and score they are hailed as heroes, it doesn't work and they blame the playcall.  players have to execute.

33 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Actually, they would have gone ahead by 11 but everything else you said is 100% correct. The Atlanta kicker was perfect on the season from that range. A top NFL kicker makes a field goal from that distance 9 out of 10 times. If the kicker misses it, he takes the blame for the loss, not the coaches. After the spectacular catch by Julio Jones to put the ball at the New England 22, they didn't need to throw the football again. Run it three times, kick the field goal, win the game. It was foolish and stupid they try and throw it again to risk an interception or a sack. You can't go backwards twelve yards on a straight-ahead running play. It's impossible. They needed to play it safe for the field goal which would have brought them a championship. As Herman Edwards famously said at a press conference, "You play to win the game." Keeping the ball on the ground would've guaranteed the Falcons of winning the game (the Patriots would not have had enough time for two offensive possessions). Putting the ball in the air then is why they went home losers..

Just out of curiosity. What would be the motive for the NFL to rig anything. One thing that has been proven is that the NFL s basically bulletproof. Manning retires no big deal, the Cowboys stink for 20 years no big deal, players come and go, concussions, drugs, wife beaters, teams rise and fall, and the money train keeps churning. Why would they risk the entire money train, and the money train would end, if it were ever found out to rig even one game, never mind a season. You really think the NFL makes more money because the Pats won, than Atlanta. If that were true how the hell did the Cowboys lose their 1st playoff game.  Did you see Arthur Blank at the end of the game, was that the look of an owner who was in on a rigged game. You do understand the NFL is not Goodell, it is 32 rich owners, and these guys are competitive as anything. You think they spend 100s of millions of dollars to buy a team, just so that team is scripted to lose?  Even if the league was all about making money, wouldn't they have had a wet dream if the Cowboys made the Super Bowl. Cowboys have not made a SB in 20 years,a nd the league grew just about every one of those years.

If any of you tin foil hat guys want to tell me these 5 things.

1) How does the league keep such a fix a secret. (All the league and team officials, owners, and investors, coaches, players, sponsors, partners, TV and media partners, the US govt. and Vegas) It would be impossible.

2) Why Would players and coaches, train and practice to win a game?

3) Show me an economic benefit they would have to make one team win vs the other. Any economic benefit, and why the Pats?

4) Is the whole game scripted, or jest who wins, I mean how do you now Julio and Edelman would make those catches, what if they dropped those balls, so much would have to go right, just to get the result you want.

5) Why would they risk losing the entire business with being caught, is that not more of a risk, than getting slightly less revenue if Atlanta wins vs if the Cowboys win.

This is sad, your Pats hatred has made you insane. You would rather believe in a tin foil hat, unbelievable fix, than give the Pats credit. That is more plausable. Very sad.

2 hours ago, nycpatsfan said:

Just out of curiosity. What would be the motive for the NFL to rig anything. One thing that has been proven is that the NFL s basically bulletproof. Manning retires no big deal, the Cowboys stink for 20 years no big deal, players come and go, concussions, drugs, wife beaters, teams rise and fall, and the money train keeps churning. Why would they risk the entire money train, and the money train would end, if it were ever found out to rig even one game, never mind a season. You really think the NFL makes more money because the Pats won, than Atlanta. If that were true how the hell did the Cowboys lose their 1st playoff game.  Did you see Arthur Blank at the end of the game, was that the look of an owner who was in on a rigged game. You do understand the NFL is not Goodell, it is 32 rich owners, and these guys are competitive as anything. You think they spend 100s of millions of dollars to buy a team, just so that team is scripted to lose?  Even if the league was all about making money, wouldn't they have had a wet dream if the Cowboys made the Super Bowl. Cowboys have not made a SB in 20 years,a nd the league grew just about every one of those years.

If any of you tin foil hat guys want to tell me these 5 things.

1) How does the league keep such a fix a secret. (All the league and team officials, owners, and investors, coaches, players, sponsors, partners, TV and media partners, the US govt. and Vegas) It would be impossible.

2) Why Would players and coaches, train and practice to win a game?

3) Show me an economic benefit they would have to make one team win vs the other. Any economic benefit, and why the Pats?

4) Is the whole game scripted, or jest who wins, I mean how do you now Julio and Edelman would make those catches, what if they dropped those balls, so much would have to go right, just to get the result you want.

5) Why would they risk losing the entire business with being caught, is that not more of a risk, than getting slightly less revenue if Atlanta wins vs if the Cowboys win.

This is sad, your Pats hatred has made you insane. You would rather believe in a tin foil hat, unbelievable fix, than give the Pats credit. That is more plausable. Very sad.

that game very much felt like one of those hulk hogan wwf wrestling matches from the 80's.  you know, where the hulk is getting beat but goes out to all his little hulkomaniacs for the stregnth to beat the other guy.  the way the falcons lost is highly suspicious.  consider that twice they were within fg range and twice matty ice was sacked and then on the next or previous play the guard was caught holding.  there's no doubt the falcons lost the game and they have no one to blame but themsleves but the second half was too pat.  consider too that shanahan must have known that elllway didn't win until he got a run game. if the falcons run instead of pass they would have set themselves up for a fg. and how does jones only catch 4 passes?  sure he was doubled but that means that sanu and the other guys needed to step up.  instead of looking down field the falcons needed to use screens or passes to the flat to gain yardage and run out the clock.

Archived