Is trading down a possibility?

nyjbuddy

If the Jets look to trade down, it may not be because a potential QB is sitting there for a another team to trade up and take.  Trading down, with a QB on the board, may come down to one offseason move: Whether or not Jimmy Garoppolo is traded and if so, to what team?  I have listed the teams that need a QB, as well as their pick:
1    Browns
2    49ers
3    Bears
6    Jets
7    Chargers (backup)
10    Bills (Tyrod)
12    Browns
13    Cardinals (backup)
17    Redskins (Cousins)
20    Broncos (?)
25    Texans

Lets start by eliminating the Browns 1st pick, 49ers and Bears as that would not be trading down.  We can eliminate the Chargers since them trading up one spot to grab a backup QB is unlikely.  Likewise for the Cardinals, they would have to give up either their 2nd round pick or a future 1st to move up 7 spots to select a backup QB.  The teams left are: Bills, Browns, Redskins, Broncos and Texans.  The Texans could possibly be removed too as it would cost too much for them.  The Redskins will likely re-sign Cousins, also removing them from the list.  This leaves the Bills, Browns and Broncos.  This is where Tyrod comes into play.  He may stay in Buffalo as they have brought in Rick Dennison his QB coach from Baltimore to be the OC.  If he doesn't stay, the Broncos, who tried to sign him in 2015, may be the place he lands.  Regardless of where he lands, I don't think the Jets will trade within the AFC East.  That leaves the Browns and the Broncos.  The Broncos would also be a difficult trade partner, as it would be expensive and they are limited to 6 picks, just like the Jets.  Also, trading with the Broncos, like the Texans, may move the Jets too far back to get a top talent in the draft.  
This leaves the Browns.  There have been recent rumors surrounding Jimmy G and the Browns / 49ers, and there seems to be a potential trade market for the backup QB.  Adam Schefter thinks that the cost would be a 1st and a 4th which would be in line with the Sam Bradford deal where the Vikings traded a 2017 1st (14th overall) and a 2018 4th round pick.  If there is any trade market value for Garoppolo, the Browns may need to give up the 12th overall pick to acquire him.
Since it is early in the offseason and most of these rumors never actually happen I thought I'd list QBs that may become available through trade/free agency that may fill in the starting QB gaps that may also limit the Jets to trade down if a QB is on the board:

Trade
Jimmy G    - Browns, 49ers
Romo
Tyrod Taylor
McCarron

FA
Cutler
Kaepernick
RG3
Foles/Smith
Cousins - if not re-signed
Glennon
Hoyer
Geno
Fitzpatrick
Barkley
Keenum
McGloin

The only opportunity that the Jets may have is if Jonathan Allen is on the board and someone wants to trade up for him.  Almost every other player/position could be a selection and fill a hole for the Jets.

Yes, but the problem will be what are you willing to let cause you to not make the trade .

Jets will want a 1st this year

Jets will want either a 2nd this year or a 1st next year

Jets will want another pick  this year probably in the 4th to replace the pick they used on Shell last year .

What will the Jets accept is going to be the key to making any trade

All I really want is to see Richardson and Pryor traded and Revis and Mangold released in the coming purge .

There are a number of teams with young 'franchise' QBs that badly need some weapons for their QBs.  I don't think teams wanting to trade up with us will be targeting a QB (unless perhaps the Browns want their cake and eat it too.)

We have to hope that one of the WRs' blows it up at the combine and either of the two feature RBs.

6 hours ago, JetHammer said:

With Richardson, I wonder if there is any danger of seeing him be a target for someone like the Falcons who need a few pieces to improve the D and go back to the SB next year

There are a few teams like that, that need some D help.  Atlanta, Dallas, Seattle, Green Bay

21 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

Im hoping Fournette is there and the Ezekial Elliot trend causes a team to trade up with us to get him.

Agreed. It's not just the teams looking to trade up for a QB it could be the "Win Now" teams like the Giants, Packers, Redskins, Colts who could be enticed by either Fournette or Cook. 

14 minutes ago, bigalbarracuda said:

Agreed. It's not just the teams looking to trade up for a QB it could be the "Win Now" teams like the Giants, Packers, Redskins, Colts who could be enticed by either Fournette or Cook. 

Would it be too much for a team to move up to the 6th pick though?  Using the Julio Jones trade as an example, the Falcons gave up a 1st (21st), 2nd(59th), and 4th(124th) and a future 1st and 4th.  Worth it for Jones, but that is a pretty good haul for the Browns, though they didn't do too well with those picks.  

Also, moving to the 14th/15th or 17th (a top tier CB, one of the top tackles, or even a top TE) spot may be okay, but moving to the 23rd or 29th spot might not be that great (perhaps the last of the top tier CBs, or a 2nd tier edge rusher).  Especially if that future 1st is also in the twenties.

4 minutes ago, nyjbuddy said:

Would it be too much for a team to move up to the 6th pick though?  Using the Julio Jones trade as an example, the Falcons gave up a 1st (21st), 2nd(59th), and 4th(124th) and a future 1st and 4th.  Worth it for Jones, but that is a pretty good haul for the Browns, though they didn't do too well with those picks.  

Also, moving to the 14th/15th or 17th (a top tier CB, one of the top tackles, or even a top TE) spot may be okay, but moving to the 23rd or 29th spot might not be that great (perhaps the last of the top tier CBs, or a 2nd tier edge rusher).  Especially if that future 1st is also in the twenties.

It's a fair point... really depends on whether teams right after us are threats to take Fournette/Cook (who after Elliot's season will have teams thinking of instant offensive upgrade). Carolina, Cincy, Buffalo, Cleveland, Indy are threats for that in my opinion.

Below are a list of teams that I think are in "win-now" mode and could be interested in a trade up (the price for #6 remains the question). 

• 14. Indianapolis
  • 17. Washington
  • 20. Denver
  • 23. New York Giants
  • 29. Green Bay

5 minutes ago, nyjbuddy said:

I also don't see the Colts making that investment with a new GM.  If that trade were to happen and the player that they trade up for doesn't pan out, he is gone in a year.

Maybe Washington wants to get ahead of the Colts at #14 then? That offense with a healthy Doctson and an actual NFL RB could be very dangerous. 

10 minutes ago, bigalbarracuda said:

It's a fair point... really depends on whether teams right after us are threats to take Fournette/Cook (who after Elliot's season will have teams thinking of instant offensive upgrade). Carolina, Cincy, Buffalo, Cleveland, Indy are threats for that in my opinion.

Below are a list of teams that I think are in "win-now" mode and could be interested in a trade up (the price for #6 remains the question). 

• 14. Indianapolis
  • 17. Washington
  • 20. Denver
  • 23. New York Giants
  • 29. Green Bay

Carolina seems intriguing.  Stewart is aging and starting to slow down.  Yards per carry has decreased for the last 3 years.  They have Cameron Artis-Payne but hasn't showed he is anything special or could carry the workload for a full season.

Cincinnati has Jeremy Hill and Bernard, so they are pretty set there

Buffalo has McCoy, so they are set there

Cleveland has Crowell and Johnson who both showed some promise this past year.  They have a lot of other holes to fill.

Indianapolis needs a RB as Gore, the ageless wonder, will eventually show his age.  For a 33 year old running back, he is still playing at a pretty high level.

Washington has Matt Jones, who while healthy, wasn't that bad of a RB.

Denver has Booker so a possible upgrade here but they need to solve their o-line problems first

Giants has Perkins, RB not an urgent need

Green Bay, if they can re-sign Lacy they just need depth

For most of these teams, they may be just looking for RB depth and potential mid rounders.  Since this draft is pretty deep at RB I could see most of these teams waiting until the 3rd - 5th rounds to draft an RB.  Players from previous drafts like Kenyan Drake, C.J. Prosise, Kenneth Dixon, Booker, Perkins, Jordan Howard, Dewayne Washington, Tevin Coleman, Duke Johnson, David Johnson, Matt Jones, Jay Ajayi.  Players that might not start right away but could step in if the starter were to go down.

On 2/7/2017 at 1:03 PM, bigalbarracuda said:

• 14. Indianapolis
  • 17. Washington
  • 20. Denver
  • 23. New York Giants
  • 29. Green Bay

I like that you mention Indy. I completely agree with you. I think they're realllllly starting to feel the pressure to give the team a chance on the defensive side of the ball, or more for Luck to work with... I think there is a real feel that if they don't start winning again soon they'll be "wasting" Lucks best years. Not saying if that's true or not, but I think the whispers are getting louder and louder out there. They know Luck is in his prime, but that could fall off anytime. I think they're very nervous to wait. 

2 hours ago, DMan77 said:

I like that you mention Indy. I completely agree with you. I think they're realllllly starting to feel the pressure to give the team a chance on the defensive side of the ball, or more for Luck to work with... I think there is a real feel that if they don't start winning again soon they'll be "wasting" Lucks best years. Not saying if that's true or not, but I think the whispers are getting louder and louder out there. They know Luck is in his prime, but that could fall off anytime. I think they're very nervous to wait. 

It's true, the could trade up for an "elite" defender if they see one slip... or they might want to pair luck with a RB they feel is a generational talent and complete the offense. 

11 minutes ago, bigalbarracuda said:

It's true, the could trade up for an "elite" defender if they see one slip... or they might want to pair luck with a RB they feel is a generational talent and complete the offense. 

And I almost forgot they now have a new GM who might be looking to make an early splash... 

On 2/7/2017 at 1:46 PM, nyjbuddy said:

Carolina seems intriguing.  Stewart is aging and starting to slow down.  Yards per carry has decreased for the last 3 years.  They have Cameron Artis-Payne but hasn't showed he is anything special or could carry the workload for a full season.

Cincinnati has Jeremy Hill and Bernard, so they are pretty set there

Buffalo has McCoy, so they are set there

Cleveland has Crowell and Johnson who both showed some promise this past year.  They have a lot of other holes to fill.

Indianapolis needs a RB as Gore, the ageless wonder, will eventually show his age.  For a 33 year old running back, he is still playing at a pretty high level.

Washington has Matt Jones, who while healthy, wasn't that bad of a RB.

Denver has Booker so a possible upgrade here but they need to solve their o-line problems first

Giants has Perkins, RB not an urgent need

Green Bay, if they can re-sign Lacy they just need depth

For most of these teams, they may be just looking for RB depth and potential mid rounders.  Since this draft is pretty deep at RB I could see most of these teams waiting until the 3rd - 5th rounds to draft an RB.  Players from previous drafts like Kenyan Drake, C.J. Prosise, Kenneth Dixon, Booker, Perkins, Jordan Howard, Dewayne Washington, Tevin Coleman, Duke Johnson, David Johnson, Matt Jones, Jay Ajayi.  Players that might not start right away but could step in if the starter were to go down.

Agreed with Cleveland but I could see them trade up if they like one of the QB's on the board too (get ahead of the Bills). They have a ton of picks and I could see them going Garrett then coming back up for a QB.  From #12 to #6 it would cost them a mid-2nd rounder. Really depends on what the new Cleveland philosophy is though. 

Indy (old), Wash (mediocre), NYG (mediocre), and Green Bay (tired of Lacy, released Starks) all have crap RB situations and good QB's and are threats in the playoffs. Hopefully one of them wants to get ahead of the Panthers at #8 and we can get a 2018 #1 plus picks this year. 

I hope we can trade to lower first round or out completely.

We could get someones first next year and maybe another 2nd this year. Get a corner, an edge rusher, and a safety before round 3 is over. All with talent enough to start. Plus ammo for next year to draft our QB, finally.

but the world laughs at our plans. F*ck...

3 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

We could get someones first next year and maybe another 2nd this year. Get a corner, an edge rusher, and a safety before round 3 is over. All with talent enough to start. Plus ammo for next year to draft our QB, finally.

Yeh that would be the perfect plan... get young talent and multiple starters in 2017 and ammo for the 2018 Darnold/Rosen/Browning/Jackson sweepstakes.

With our luck we finish with the #4 pick and Darnold goes to a team like the Niners who always seem to suck at just the right time (e.g. Colts) haha

20 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I would exchange one of those positions for an OL/OT instead but yes, that would be nice. 

On 07/02/2017 at 6:03 PM, bigalbarracuda said:

• 14. Indianapolis
  • 17. Washington
  • 20. Denver
  • 23. New York Giants
  • 29. Green Bay

That's the main thing I look at - if a team is trading up to grab a player, why trade with us specifically.

In this case you have to see Carolina as a prime landing spot for Fournette if he's still on the board. They need someone to be a real threat on that offense beyond Cam, and Fournette would be a prime candidate.

Indy is an intriguing option, but a bigger / riskier move for them. 

QB is a very different prospect ... why jump to 6 to get one when the 3 teams after us are highly unlikely to go that route (and, depending on the Tyrod situation, that could become 5 teams). If Tyrod resigns in Buffalo, any QB at 6 is likely to still be on the board at 11, IMHO. So why jump all the way to 6 to get him?

On February 15, 2017 at 0:08 PM, jets rooter said:

the jets need a left tackle and a center.before drafting a running back.they already have their q.b. of the future.c.b is a must and this draft is loaded with very good corner backs.

Why does everyone look at the 2017 draft has the end all for the NY Jets? This team needs BPA wherever that may be, even DT because Sheldon Richardson WILL NOT be on this team next year I believe, Mo Wilkerson might turn out to be an overpaid slug now that he has a huge bank account.

If Allen is there at 6 Macc will take him if he can't trade back. Jets are a 2018/2019/2020 team. If Hackenberg is a keeper his tragectory will be the next 3 years after his 1st year if that's 2017. Let's all pray that a team thinking Super Bowl decides Richardson is worth the risk. 

If you think about it, both Dallas & Atlanta might have either won the Super Bowl (Atlanta) or advanced to the Super Bowl (Dallas) had they added Sheldon before the trade deadline last year. The Falcons needed ONE PLAY from a defender to stem the tide, Cowboys needed ONE play to beat the Packers. Cowboys would have beaten the Falcons, there is NO WAY the Falcons run defense was strong enough to keep Elliott from tearing them a new ahole.

Allen & Leo the Lion would be amazing together. Use the draft pick from Richardson for a CB or a safety where both positions are deep in this draft. There's more than one way to skin a cat and using BPA strategy is always a good thing. Free agency has completely allowed for BPA, instead of drafting for NEED.

While most Jet fans are killing Macc for the Lee pick, quietly Lee & Jenkins will start to develop next year after a year of seasoning and that criticism will subside. Contrary to popular belief draft picks take some time to develop. Lee, Jenkins, Burris, all showed flashes in 2016. You add a Bouye, or a Gilmore, as your top free agent choice & youve instantly upgraded your defense. Revis was ranked at like 56 last year? He was an abomination almost as bad as Kyle Wilson for god sake. I'll go out on a limb & say Darrelle Revis might have been the worst 17 million dollar player EVER in 2016 outside of past highly paid QBs that have bombed. I can't ever remember seeing Revis trailing so many plays after getting burned (over the top or underneath with his 10 yard cushions), my god, he was targeted more in one game (Bengals) then he'd been targeted all of 2009/2010, lol.

On 2/7/2017 at 0:16 PM, Lupz27 said:

The Browns would be the ideal situation, but I have a feeling the Browns are gonna do it right for once, Draft Garrett, and Ramzyk, start Kessler get the 1st pick next season and get Darnold, set for 10-15 years.

that's not bad selecting for cleveland. the only issue is kessler actually looked pretty good until he was injured.  doubtfull they land the first pick next season unless they actively tank.

On 2/20/2017 at 8:35 AM, Jetster said:

Why does everyone look at the 2017 draft has the end all for the NY Jets? This team needs BPA wherever that may be, even DT because Sheldon Richardson WILL NOT be on this team next year I believe, Mo Wilkerson might turn out to be an overpaid slug now that he has a huge bank account.

If Allen is there at 6 Macc will take him if he can't trade back. Jets are a 2018/2019/2020 team. If Hackenberg is a keeper his tragectory will be the next 3 years after his 1st year if that's 2017. Let's all pray that a team thinking Super Bowl decides Richardson is worth the risk. 

If you think about it, both Dallas & Atlanta might have either won the Super Bowl (Atlanta) or advanced to the Super Bowl (Dallas) had they added Sheldon before the trade deadline last year. The Falcons needed ONE PLAY from a defender to stem the tide, Cowboys needed ONE play to beat the Packers. Cowboys would have beaten the Falcons, there is NO WAY the Falcons run defense was strong enough to keep Elliott from tearing them a new ahole.

Allen & Leo the Lion would be amazing together. Use the draft pick from Richardson for a CB or a safety where both positions are deep in this draft. There's more than one way to skin a cat and using BPA strategy is always a good thing. Free agency has completely allowed for BPA, instead of drafting for NEED.

While most Jet fans are killing Macc for the Lee pick, quietly Lee & Jenkins will start to develop next year after a year of seasoning and that criticism will subside. Contrary to popular belief draft picks take some time to develop. Lee, Jenkins, Burris, all showed flashes in 2016. You add a Bouye, or a Gilmore, as your top free agent choice & youve instantly upgraded your defense. Revis was ranked at like 56 last year? He was an abomination almost as bad as Kyle Wilson for god sake. I'll go out on a limb & say Darrelle Revis might have been the worst 17 million dollar player EVER in 2016 outside of past highly paid QBs that have bombed. I can't ever remember seeing Revis trailing so many plays after getting burned (over the top or underneath with his 10 yard cushions), my god, he was targeted more in one game (Bengals) then he'd been targeted all of 2009/2010, lol.

good points all. consider this part of a two season draft cycle where they should show some really great improvement after next year's draft.  hopefully woody has the patience.  and hopefully bowles is the coach the team needs.

On 2/7/2017 at 0:54 PM, nyjbuddy said:

maybe but it should be pointed out that jones only had 4 catches in the sb.  of course the patsie's face guarding had a lot to do with it but it's doubtful that a wr can dominate a game.  imo, if the jets move down they shouldn't go lower than 15 or so. that should still get them a very good corner or safety or Lb or even Lt.

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 2:45 PM, Tinstar said:

Yes, but the problem will be what are you willing to let cause you to not make the trade .

Jets will want a 1st this year

Jets will want either a 2nd this year or a 1st next year

Jets will want another pick  this year probably in the 4th to replace the pick they used on Shell last year .

What will the Jets accept is going to be the key to making any trade

All I really want is to see Richardson and Pryor traded and Revis and Mangold released in the coming purge .

Teams have been known to trade up for players not with a QB next to their name. Does Julio Jones ring a bell? Teams that analyze Williams, Davis, Hooker, Lattimore, Adams, Allen, Garrett, and Fournette to be the blue chip impact players in the draft (not including QB's here) may be willing to trade up to get one of them by offering their 1st next year and either their 1st or 2nd this year to move to #6. I actually think it is possible that we could get a 1st this year and a 1st next year for the #6.

Tennessee has the 18th pick this year besides their #5. They need a top WR and an ILB. The standouts are Williams and Davis as WR's and Foster is in a class by himself at ILB. The draft points chart lists our #6 at 1,600. The value at #18 is 900. That would leave them 700 points short that they need to give us. If they improve as they surely would with being able to draft Davis and Foster with #5 and #6, their expected finish next year would probably move them down into the 20's and that is right around the 700-800 point range.

Usually when we do things like this we think like what benefits the Jets and are a little blind to the other side. But in this case, if I was Tenn. I would actually make this deal. I think Foster will be a real stud - similar to Keuchly and Davis or Williams will be as well. It would set them up beautifully for the playoffs and they could actually go deep into them, 

We would come out with two 1sts next year which we package to move up to grab Darnold (USC) or Rosen (UCLA), barring injury, the two best QB's expected to come out. Darnold may be the next Luck. And this year we still have 5 picks in the first 3 rounds once we unload Richardson for a 3rd and we don't need to hit a home run - just draft players who could upgrade our oline, secondary and TE positions.

Agree on Richardson, Pryor, Revis and Mangold and would throw in Harris and Marshall and use the money to buy one or two quality players. 

21 hours ago, choklits said:

Teams have been known to trade up for players not with a QB next to their name. Does Julio Jones ring a bell? Teams that analyze Williams, Davis, Hooker, Lattimore, Adams, Allen, Garrett, and Fournette to be the blue chip impact players in the draft (not including QB's here) may be willing to trade up to get one of them by offering their 1st next year and either their 1st or 2nd this year to move to #6. I actually think it is possible that we could get a 1st this year and a 1st next year for the #6.

Tennessee has the 18th pick this year besides their #5. They need a top WR and an ILB. The standouts are Williams and Davis as WR's and Foster is in a class by himself at ILB. The draft points chart lists our #6 at 1,600. The value at #18 is 900. That would leave them 700 points short that they need to give us. If they improve as they surely would with being able to draft Davis and Foster with #5 and #6, their expected finish next year would probably move them down into the 20's and that is right around the 700-800 point range.

Usually when we do things like this we think like what benefits the Jets and are a little blind to the other side. But in this case, if I was Tenn. I would actually make this deal. I think Foster will be a real stud - similar to Keuchly and Davis or Williams will be as well. It would set them up beautifully for the playoffs and they could actually go deep into them, 

We would come out with two 1sts next year which we package to move up to grab Darnold (USC) or Rosen (UCLA), barring injury, the two best QB's expected to come out. Darnold may be the next Luck. And this year we still have 5 picks in the first 3 rounds once we unload Richardson for a 3rd and we don't need to hit a home run - just draft players who could upgrade our oline, secondary and TE positions.

Agree on Richardson, Pryor, Revis and Mangold and would throw in Harris and Marshall and use the money to buy one or two quality players. 

These are all great points. I keep trying to say think about a true rebuild where your not only planning this 2017 draft but 2018. Great target by you bringing up the Titans. The Titans truly have a chance to compete in that division for the playoffs by making some bold moves this offseason. Browns or Titans could be potential trade partners but Maccs gonna want a pretty sweet pot to go from 6 to 18. Can't wait for this draft, especially if we can unload Sheldon for a 3rd. I'm hoping some team would give us a 4 for Marshall? Not crazy, 7.5 million isn't crazy money for Marshall, easily guaranteed to be way better production in 2017 than anyone a contender could pick in the 4th round. Colts better win next year! Marshall would be crazy good with Luck throwing to him, with Hilton, Dorsett & Moncrief. Colts need a chain mover & Brandon would open up EVERYTHING for their speedsters.

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

These are all great points. I keep trying to say think about a true rebuild where your not only planning this 2017 draft but 2018. Great target by you bringing up the Titans. The Titans truly have a chance to compete in that division for the playoffs by making some bold moves this offseason. Browns or Titans could be potential trade partners but Maccs gonna want a pretty sweet pot to go from 6 to 18. Can't wait for this draft, especially if we can unload Sheldon for a 3rd. I'm hoping some team would give us a 4 for Marshall? Not crazy, 7.5 million isn't crazy money for Marshall, easily guaranteed to be way better production in 2017 than anyone a contender could pick in the 4th round. Colts better win next year! Marshall would be crazy good with Luck throwing to him, with Hilton, Dorsett & Moncrief. Colts need a chain mover & Brandon would open up EVERYTHING for their speedsters.

The sweetener is the Titans 1st in 2018. That's what we use to package both 2018 1st's if necessary to get Darnold or whoever replaces him at the top of the QB chart. Darnold is the real deal.

The sleeper to watch this draft is the TE from Ashland College Adam Shaheen. I believe he can become a true stud in the NFL. While he hasn't faced top competition in D2, he is 6'6", 280 lbs. and runs away from defenders. On top of that he has good hands and catches the ball away from his body. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Patriots grab him at the end of the third.

3 hours ago, Jetster said:

Marshall can't handle not being the #1 guy. He checked out last year big time when Petty targeted Anderson more than him. He would absolutely poison the Colts. 

3 hours ago, section314 said:

Marshall can't handle not being the #1 guy. He checked out last year big time when Petty targeted Anderson more than him. He would absolutely poison the Colts. 

Hilton would love it, he had a hard time getting open last year with over, unders. Can't do that with Marshall on the field, Lucks back shoulder throws to a player with Brandons size would be very hard to stop. 

Im just telling you that if Colts don't get in the playoffs they're all fired.

I know Peppep will love this excerpt:

Mitch Trubisky: Football is a game of inches, even during the scouting process. For North Carolina prospect Mitch Trubisky, one inch could be worth millions of dollars.

New 49ers general manager John Lynch said Trubisky "made himself some money today, I promise you," by measuring about an inch taller than some had speculated Thursday. It sounds silly in this era of Drew Brees (6-foot) and Russell Wilson (5-11) that one inch could make such a difference, but Lynch isn't the only one who thinks this way.

When Browns coach Hue Jackson learned Trubisky measured over 6-2, his face lit up.

"I think that's great! It's good that he's over 6-2. We all have a profile for what we like a quarterback to be ... I like a guy that is a little taller, and he is over 6-2, so that's great for him," Jackson said.

This came on the same day The Plain Dealer reported Trubisky is in the mix for possibly being made the No. 1 overall pick by the Browns. NFL Network's Mike Silver reported the Browns are likely to draft Texas A&M defensive tackle Myles Garrett No. 1 overall but are looking to add a veteran quarterback and a rookie.

"The [quarterback] he likes the most right now, Hue [Jackson] does not believe will be there at [No.] 12," Silver reported, referencing the second of Cleveland's first-round draft picks.

Connecting the dots, it seems Trubisky could be the apple of Jackson's eye.

Perhaps if Trubisky falls to 6 and the Jets don't want him, that trade back to 12 might be a possibility.

Archived