Is trading down a possibility?

nyjbuddy

9 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Any chance NO falls in love with someone, and we can get 11, and 32 for 6?

I think they pretty much need defense.  They might also need a WR to replace Cooks.  Not sure there's necessarily anyone they would want so bad they would trade up to get though.  Maybe Lattimore but we have the same need so not sure we wouldn't just make that pick. 

10 hours ago, nycdan said:

I think they pretty much need defense.  They might also need a WR to replace Cooks.  Not sure there's necessarily anyone they would want so bad they would trade up to get though.  Maybe Lattimore but we have the same need so not sure we wouldn't just make that pick. 

I guy can dream lol.

44 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

I guy can dream lol.

Fair question.  The value seems in the ballpark.  At 11, there will be several good players still available to us. 

Assume, Garrett, Thomas, Allen, Fournette, Adams, Hooker, Lattimore are gone.  That still leaves some choices between Watson and Trubisky, Williams and Davis, Cook and Howard,  Hey, look at that...all offensive players!  Then at 32, we can go defense like Watt, Adoree' Jackson or snag someone who drops like an OT or Njoku if we don't take Howard.  I would love the trade.  I just don't think it makes a lot of sense for NO but I hope I'm wrong.

The one thing that might shift the balance, though, on second thought, is the Sidney Jones injury.  Taking one top-CB off the table means the premium on Lattimore is much higher.  So yeah, dream on....dream until your dream comes true.

On March 15, 2017 at 11:39 AM, nycdan said:

Fair question.  The value seems in the ballpark.  At 11, there will be several good players still available to us. 

Assume, Garrett, Thomas, Allen, Fournette, Adams, Hooker, Lattimore are gone.

You state 7 players being gone when we pick at #6 indicating ONLY 5 players have been chosen. 

Fournette will be there at #6 (Only the 49ers and Bears are NOT already heavily invested in RBs, and they may go QB, but NOT RB) and the Raiders NEED a BellCow RB to take the load off an injured Carr and to balance their offense with a strong run game. Latavius Murray signed w/Minn.

I'd rather TRADE the Jets 2017 #6 overall for Oakland's 1st rounder in '17 - #24 overall, Oak's 2nd Rounder in '17 (#56), and Oak's 2018 1st ROUNDER for them to select Fournette.

in 2007 the Jets up from #25 to #14 with Carolina at a similar cost: Jets got #14 & #191 (6th rounder), Carolina got a 1st (#25), a 2nd (#59), and a 5th (#164)

6 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

You state 7 players being gone when we pick at #6 indicating ONLY 5 players have been chosen. 

Fournette will be there at #6 (Only the 49ers and Bears are NOT already heavily invested in RBs, and they may go QB, but NOT RB) and the Raiders NEED a BellCow RB to take the load off an injured Carr and to balance their offense with a strong run game. Latavius Murray signed w/Minn.

I'd rather TRADE the Jets 2017 #6 overall for Oakland's 1st rounder in '17 - #24 overall, Oak's 2nd Rounder in '17 (#56), and Oak's 2018 1st ROUNDER for them to select Fournette.

in 2007 the Jets up from #25 to #14 with Carolina at a similar cost: Jets got #14 & #191 (6th rounder), Carolina got a 1st (#25), a 2nd (#59), and a 5th (#164)

No, I stated this as it might be at selection 11, which was the point of first stating:  "At 11, there will be several good players still available to us." in order to get a sense of what we might still have available at the 11th pick if we did trade down.

3 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Oooh I like that. The key is getting the 2018 First rounder. Need that ammo to trade up (if need be) in a good QB class. 

1 minute ago, nycdan said:

No, I stated this as it might be at selection 11, which was the point of first stating:  "At 11, there will be several good players still available to us." in order to get a sense of what we might still have available at the 11th pick if we did trade down.

my bad. oversight on my part. 

I can see Raiders going aggressive for Fournette to FULLY STOCK that Raider offense. I hope we're the beneficiaries if that were to be the case. 

3 minutes ago, bigalbarracuda said:

Oooh I like that. The key is getting the 2018 First rounder. Need that ammo to trade up (if need be) in a good QB class. 

correct. That's why I'd rather trade with a mid-late teens and 20's draft pick holding team so we can DEMAND a 2018 1st rounder as part of the quest for a QB.

Just now, Gas2No99 said:

correct. That's why I'd rather trade with a mid-late teens and 20's draft pick holding team so we can DEMAND a 2018 1st rounder as part of the quest for a QB.

Agreed.  I'd love that second 1st-rounder next year.  A lot hinges on what the Raiders can pull of with either AP or Lynch.  If the get either of those, I think that trade would be off the table for sure. 

2 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Depending on where AP goes (imagine he signs with Green Bay?) I can still see a team like IND, NYG or WASH trading up... WASH fits the bill as they're picking at #17. 

#17 would be IDEAL. 

Who I REALLY want in the first is Utah LT Garret Bolles and he'd be PERFECT at the 17 slot. 

Since it's a Top Heavy draft of CBs and Safeties, the drop off is FAR more significant in OLine than it would be for defensive secondary. We could STILL draft a cornerstone LT in the first at #17 and then (for argument sake) w/the extra 2nd, 3rd or 4th rounder we picked up from that trade back to stock up on JUST AS GOOD defensive secondary players that can start right away. There are CBs and safety that will be available in the 3rd and 4th round and COULD STILL START - that's how stacked this draft is on DBs. 

3 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

#17 would be IDEAL. 

Who I REALLY want in the first is Utah LT Garret Bolles and he'd be PERFECT at the 17 slot. 

Since it's a Top Heavy draft of CBs and Safeties, the drop off is FAR more significant in OLine than it would be for defensive secondary. We could STILL draft a cornerstone LT in the first at #17 and then (for argument sake) w/the extra 2nd, 3rd or 4th rounder we picked up from that trade back to stock up on JUST AS GOOD defensive secondary players that can start right away. There are CBs and safety that will be available in the 3rd and 4th round and COULD STILL START - that's how stacked this draft is on DBs. 

If Mac can't find a trade down partner, then I want Williams.  Unfortunately, I think the Titans will grab him right before us.

hypothetical:

Trade down to a team like Washington (let's say they trade up for QB Watson, TYPICAL Snyder)

We would give up #6 overall and our 2017 5th (#150) for Their 1st (#17), their 2nd (#49) and DEMAND either their 2018 1st rounder OR 2 x 2017 4th Rndrs (#114) recoup it from last year's trade for Shell & their #123.

So you have #17-LT Garrett Bolles Utah, #49- C Pat Elfin OSU to start along with Shell @ RT, Winters & Carpenter @ Guards.

Yet STILL can use our OTHER 2nd, our 2x 3rd rounders, or our 2x 4th rounders on DBs IN ADDITION to our 5th,6th, and 7th  for added Depth and whatever talent trickles down. Or have that EXTRA 2018 1st rounder as SOLID ammo for a QB if we need to go get one next year. 

The Oline can be addressed and repaired with a PROMISING future if addressed accordingly. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2017 at 9:12 AM, Lupz27 said:

Any chance NO falls in love with someone, and we can get 11, and 32 for 6?

They are in a win now situation as their window is closing though they did have a lot of rookies contribute last year (promising future).  Maybe they target a CB in a class that has been thinning out due to injuries or not testing well (Sidney Jones, Fabian Moreau, Teez Tabor).  Guys are being pushed up into the 1st round (Kevin King, Tre'Davius White) that at the beginning of the process were viewed as 2nd day prospects.  Another possibility is if one of the safeties are there and the Jets are not interested in taking one (though I would hope they don't pass on Adams or Hooker),

3 minutes ago, nyjbuddy said:

They are in a win now situation as their window is closing though they did have a lot of rookies contribute last year (promising future).  Maybe they target a CB in a class that has been thinning out due to injuries or not testing well (Sidney Jones, Fabian Moreau, Teez Tabor).  Guys are being pushed up into the 1st round (Kevin King, Tre'Davius White) that at the beginning of the process were viewed as 2nd day prospects.  Another possibility is if one of the safeties are there and the Jets are not interested in taking one (though I would hope they don't pass on Adams or Hooker),

Yeah the closer the draft gets the more I want the Jets to walk away with either Adams, Hooker, or Lattimore if they don't trade out of the 6 spot, those are the 3 players I've narrowed down for the Jets to realistically draft at 6 (Taco Charlton intrigues me, but I haven't paid enough attention to him to have an opinion if it would be a wise pick, or a reach).

On 2/10/2017 at 0:36 PM, bigalbarracuda said:

Agreed with Cleveland but I could see them trade up if they like one of the QB's on the board too (get ahead of the Bills). They have a ton of picks and I could see them going Garrett then coming back up for a QB.  From #12 to #6 it would cost them a mid-2nd rounder. Really depends on what the new Cleveland philosophy is though. 

Indy (old), Wash (mediocre), NYG (mediocre), and Green Bay (tired of Lacy, released Starks) all have crap RB situations and good QB's and are threats in the playoffs. Hopefully one of them wants to get ahead of the Panthers at #8 and we can get a 2018 #1 plus picks this year. 

What about a trade with Cleveland that also sends them Sheldon Richardson?  Jets send the 6th pick, the 107th (last pick of the 3rd) and Sheldon Richardson, for the 12th pick and the 33rd pick.  If they took Garrett with the 1st pick and added Richardson, that would be an upgrade to their front seven (plus they don't really need to worry about his cap hit).  They select a QB at 6 and still have the 52nd and 65th picks to find a CB / S and a WR.  The Jets would end up with the 12th, 33rd and 39th picks in the first 2 rounds while also unloading Richardson's contract.  Also having the 1st pick on the second day would also give them the entire morning them to entertain any trade offers for a player that may have slipped out of the 1st round.

5 minutes ago, nyjbuddy said:

What about a trade with Cleveland that also sends them Sheldon Richardson?  Jets send the 6th pick, the 107th (last pick of the 3rd) and Sheldon Richardson, for the 12th pick and the 33rd pick.  If they took Garrett with the 1st pick and added Richardson, that would be an upgrade to their front seven (plus they don't really need to worry about his cap hit).  They select a QB at 6 and still have the 52nd and 65th picks to find a CB / S and a WR.  The Jets would end up with the 12th, 33rd and 39th picks in the first 2 rounds while also unloading Richardson's contract.  Also having the 1st pick on the second day would also give them the entire morning them to entertain any trade offers for a player that may have slipped out of the 1st round.

I like it... I still wonder if Sheldon's league-wide value really is a 3rd rounder. In that case we'd be giving up # 6 and essentially two 3rds for the #12 and #33. 

1 hour ago, bigalbarracuda said:

I like it... I still wonder if Sheldon's league-wide value really is a 3rd rounder. In that case we'd be giving up # 6 and essentially two 3rds for the #12 and #33. 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2699703-insider-buzz-gms-targeting-sheldon-richardson-wont-deal-high-draft-picks

"Would not offer more than a 4th round pick"

But... Browns could be really interested in trading up for Hooker.  Which would out Richardson as the 100th over all pick, according to the trade value chart which is a 3rd round comp pick.  So a little higher than a 4th round pick but if they really want Hooker it gives them an opportunity.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/30/browns-very-high-on-malik-hooker-set-to-host-him/

On 3/30/2017 at 5:01 PM, nyjbuddy said:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2699703-insider-buzz-gms-targeting-sheldon-richardson-wont-deal-high-draft-picks

"Would not offer more than a 4th round pick"

But... Browns could be really interested in trading up for Hooker.  Which would out Richardson as the 100th over all pick, according to the trade value chart which is a 3rd round comp pick.  So a little higher than a 4th round pick but if they really want Hooker it gives them an opportunity.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/30/browns-very-high-on-malik-hooker-set-to-host-him/

4th round would be tough to swallow for S-Rich... I know he's a pain in the a$$ but the perennial Pro-Bowl talent is there if he ever decides to mature. Hate selling so low on a guy like this... maybe Nunn can whip him into shape.

2 hours ago, bigalbarracuda said:

4th round would be tough to swallow for S-Rich... I know he's a pain in the a$$ but the perennial Pro-Bowl talent is there if he ever decides to mature. Hate selling so low on a guy like this... maybe Nunn can whip him into shape.

It would be difficult, but a 4th seems pretty accurate.  The Jets traded a 5th for Marshall and a 7th.  Both are locker room problems and talented players.  Sheldon has a history with substance abuse and one more incident may cost him a season.   You may not get the same talent that late in the draft but you may draft a guy with a lot of talent that falls due to substance abuse concerns.  The difference would be that a team would have a couple of years and a couple of failed drug tests to reform the player before that player is in the same boat as Sheldon.  Whereas with Sheldon, he could fail the first drug test of the year and be out for the season.  The fact that he is still only 26 is probably why its a 4th rather than a 5th or 6th.

On March 30, 2017 at 1:59 PM, bigalbarracuda said:

No one is giving up anything north of a conditional late round pick for Sheldumb

Archived